Ghost

Ghost

It was slightly after midnight. Jiwon seemed oblivious to the frigid temperature that she was standing in. She slumped on the bench and let out a quiet sigh. The night screen had hung down, the celestial space had become pitch black, the glittering and luminous diamond-like stars had become natural adornments, filling the empty spaces in the dark sky while winking at the occasion passerby. 

She watched wistfully as white snow fell onto the asphalt, reminiscing the beautiful memories before. 

Her head hung low as she shut her eyes and gritted her teeth.

Why did it have to be this way? 

A drop of tear fell down her cheeks, followed by another and another and soon, she was sobbing against her hands.

Life wasn't fair and she knew it. But she couldn't help it. Whether life was fair or not, she still had feelings.

She felt someone place a packet of tissues beside her. Ignoring it, she used her sleeve to wipe her tears.

"I don't know what happened but please don't be sad." Someone commented as she sat beside Jiwon. Jiwon looked up upon hearing the soft, warm voice.

"And a pretty girl like you should smile." The person grinned at Jiwon.

Jiwon was dumbfounded. Who would have known that the one comforting her would be a stranger?

"Here, stop crying okay?" The person took out a tissue and dabbed Jiwon's face. 

"Sometimes it's no use being sad, be happy. Don't be like me and regret later on." She tugged a strand of hair behind jiwon's ear.

"Thanks." Jiwon murmured, puzzled at the situation.

"Not a problem. I'm Narae. " the stranger held out her hand.

"Jiwon." Jiwon shook Narae's hand.

"After every storm, the sun will smile. For every problem, there will be a solution ." Narae let out a soft sigh as she gazed at the signboards from a small cafe across.

Jiwon nodded slightly and followed Narae's line of sight.

"Does coffee work on you?" Jiwon questioned.

"No, not anymore."

"Can we go get coffee then? My treat, as a form of gratitude." Jiwon suggested. 

"Yeah sure." 

 

Jiwon and Narae entered the dimly lighted cafe. 

"What do you want to drink?" Jiwon questioned as they approached the counter.

"Ill drink what you drink."

"Your order, miss?" The cashier asked.

"Can I get two cappuccinos please, having here."

"Having them by yourself?" The cashier chuckled as he keyed in the order.

"I'm having it with my friend here?" Jiwon replied, a little confused.

"Okay..." the cashier looked at her quizzically. 

Jiwon took the two cups and sat at the far end of the cafe with Narae. 

"That guy is weird." Jiwon commented and Narae just smiled.

"Thanks for the coffee." Narae raised her cup.

"Thank you too." 

 

"Oh wow it's almost three. We should get going." Jiwon exclaimed.

"Yeah we should."

"So how do I contact you in the future?" 

"Let fate decide." Narae winked, stood up and walked out of the cafe. 

Jiwon was taken aback and couldn't stop Narae. 

She gulped the rest of her coffee and looked at Narae's cup. 

Which was... full? She didn't even drink a sip. 

Jiwon shrugged her shoulders and went back home. 

 

The next morning, Jiwon was seen in the kitchen making breakfast. 

"Hey where did you go last night?" Sihyun asked as she sat at the coffee table and picked up a random newspaper. 

"Why do u still have newspaper from ten days ago?" She checked the date and laughed.

"I went to the park and met a somewhat strange girl. She told me that it's no use being sad, be happy or else I might regret it like her. I wonder what happened. And I bought her coffee but she didn't drink any of it? The weirdest part was when I asked how to contact her and she said to let fate decide. Everything is so weird I don't know." Jiwon responded.

"Are you sure you really met someone it was it all your imagination?" Sihyun teased.

"I don't really care if you believe me or not." Jiwon stuck out her tongue.

"And what's so funny about having a ten days old newspaper? It's not like its ten years old or something ." Jiwon placed a plate.of pancakes on the coffee table 

"This is sad, a twenty seven year old girl died in a car accident. She's the same age as you and she's prettier than you too." Sihyun commented.

"Let me see it." Jiwon sat beside Sihyun.

Her eyes widened as she saw the picture of the girl.

"Unnie..." Jiwon mumbled. 

"It's her. The girl from yesterday night."