Munsan

Munsan

 

It's been a whole two months since Sunggyu and Yongguk were drafted into the South Korean army.

These two have become close friends over time and don't know how to live without the other.

Yongguk wakes Sunggyu up every day and Sunggyu reminds Yongguk to wash up everyday.

"Here. Hurry and don't use all the hot water." Sunggyu said as he handed Yongguk a towel. Yongguk smiles a huge, gummy smile and starts for the small washroom.

"Yes, sir!" Yongguk says jokingly before disappearing. Sunggyu sighed.

He knew Yongguk was going to use all the hot water and he can't do anything about it because he has to wait for their new roommate.

Sunggyu's on his bottom bunk when he hears a knock on the door. The room's tiny so the knock doesn't have to be anything loud for him to hear.

Sunggyu got up off his bed and wondered where his new roommate was going to sleep if they only had one bunk bed.

He opened the door to be hit in the face by a freezing wave of air and a

"Hi."

The man before Sunggyu was rubbing his elbows and his teeth were chattering so much, Sunggyu could put an apple in the man's mouth to create applesauce. Sunggyu can tell the man was young and maybe just started his life when he was drafted.

"Are you going to let me in?" He said, teeth chattering and breath fogging up.

"Yeah, come on in." Sunggyu said, moving to the side to get out of the cold and move out of the way. "So what's your name?" Sunggyu asked as he shut the door.

"Jongdae. Yours?" Jongdae introduced, putting out a hand; the same gesture Yongguk made when they first met.

"Sunggyu. And I take you're younger than me?" Sunggyu said, Jongdae smiling and nodding.

"Yeah, Hyung. I'm younger." Then Jongdae scanned the room. "Where's the other guy?" He asked, letting go of Sunggyu's hand.

"Washroom." Sunggyu said, before sitting on his bed. "You can just put your stuff on the floor over there. We don't have much room for anything, really." Sunggyu said. Jongdae nodded and did as he was told.

"I wonder why they're moving me in here when there's only one bunk bed and not enough room. Do they expect me to squeeze in with someone?" Jongdae said, chuckling. Sunggyu nodded.

"That's what I was asking."

"Hey, Gyu...And Jongdae." Yongguk said as he dried his hair and stepped up to Jongdae, shaking his hand. "Hi, I'm Yongguk. Nice to meet you. I hope we become good friends." Yongguk said, smiling.

"Wait." Sunggyu said. "How did you know his name?" Sunggyu asked. "I thought you couldn't hear anything when you were in the washroom?" Sunggyu said accusingly, raising a brow.

"Nice try but too bad, Gyu. Like I said, I can't hear from that room. I was awake before you as usual and was told we were to expect a boy named Kim Jongdae." Yongguk said, striking back. Sunggyu pouted and fell back on his bed.

"Whatever." He huffed.

"Okay. Yongguk Hyung and Sunggyu Hyung. Isn't it time for training line-up?" Jongdae asked, checking the dusty clock on the far wall.

"Shoot!" Yongguk and Sunggyu shouted in sync before running around the room cursing. Jongdae laughed at them.

"Your sock's underneath the bed." Jongdae pointed out to Sunggyu as he searched the floor.

"Thanks." Sunggyu thanked, before reaching for it and slipping it on. Jongdae took off his overcoat and was already in uniform so all he had to do was wait for his new friends.

"Okay, let's go!" Yongguk rushed, as he ran out the door with Jongdae right behind him.

"Yah! Wait! Aish~!" Sunggyu complained as he tightened his pants. He was about to run out the room when he ran into the General of the camp, General Kim Himchan. Sunggyu ran into Himchan's chest and bounced back onto his heels.

"Sorry, sir! Didn't see you there, sir!" Sunggyu apologized, bowing then saluting.

"Where is Bang Yongguk?" Himchan asked.

"He just went out to the training area, sir." Sunggyu informed.

"Run out there and tell hi to report to my office immediately." Himchan said, before turning in one swift move and walking away.

 

Sunggyu made it just seconds before the trainer, Sir Howon, arrived.

"Hey, Guk." Sunggyu whispered to his best friend who stood back facing him. "General wants to see you ASAP." 

"What? Why?" Yongguk asked.

"I don't know-shoot-he's coming." Sunggyu said, making them both straighten up.

"What are you doing here, Bang? Are you done speaking to the General already?" Howon asked. Yongguk saluted and avoided eye contact.

"No, sir! I was just leaving, sir!" Yongguk said before Howon smacked his back so he could get out of the way as they started their three-mile warm up.

 

"Hyung. Where's Yongguk Hyung?" Jongdae asked as he slowed to Sunggyu's speed.

"General's office." Sunggyu said.

"Hope he'll be okay." Jongdae muttered.

They finished the three miles then went to train with weights. By the end of the day, Sunggyu felt like he was going to die; although he always felt that way. His body was very weak and that made Yongguk worry often about him.

"Hyung. I'm going to wash up. I'll be out in a little bit." Jongdae said as he shut the bathroom door.

Sunggyu lie on his bed in a fresh pair of clothing and huffed. 

Yongguk never came back to training and isn't here yet-

The door opened and the person Sunggyu wanted to see appeared but he didn't seem the same.

"Hey, Guk. What did he say?" Sunggyu asked. But all he got was a glance then his friend climbed up on his bed and fell face-first.

Sunggyu's face darkened. Yongguk seemed so tired and the fact that he just passed out on his bed added more on to that.

Sunggyu shifted and stood on the edge of his bed to see his friend. He moved Yongguk's hair out of his face.

"What happened?" Sunggyu asked. "Guk-"

"Stop it!" Yongguk snapped, shocking Sunggyu and making him fall off his bed and onto the floor just as Jongdae entered.

"What are you doing, Hyung?! Are you alright?" Jongdae asked, rushing to pick Sunggyu up. Sunggyu glared at Yongguk and shoved Jongdae aside.

"What's wrong with you!? We promised to tell each other everything-"

"Shut up! You're giving me a headache!" Yongguk shouted, interrupting Sunggyu.

"Why do you have a headache?! I didn't give you one! You had it before coming in here! What happened?!" Sunggyu shouted. 

Yongguk stayed silent.

"That's it." Sunggyu muttered, jumping up onto Yongguk's bed and squeezing him. "Tell me! You know I won't give up!"

"Let me go before I pound the out of you!"

"Try to!" 

Yongguk struggled.

"I swear! Gyu! ing let go-"

"No! Tell me-" 

Yongguk rolled over and shifted their positions, lying on top of Sunggyu. Yongguk pushed against him to try and loosen his grip.

"I! won't! let! go!" Sunggyu shouted. Yongguk grunted and managed to peel Sunggyu's hands off his waist using his strength.

Sunggyu was about to jump on Yongguk again when Yongguk socked him across the face.

"HYUNG!!!!"

Yongguk and Sunggyu turned their attentions to Jongdae, whos face was red.

"STOP FIGHTING!!" Jongdae shouted in anger then it slowly turned into frustration. "Hyung! Just freaking tell him and get it over with!" Jongdae demanded. Yongguk groaned loudly before kicking Sunggyu and his sore face off his bed.

"No. He doesn't need to know." Yongguk muttered before curling up in his covers.

Sunggyu rubbed his left cheek and knew Yongguk didn't want to hurt him; Yongguk used his weaker fist to hit him.

"Hyung. You can't leave it like this. I don't want another disfunctional room." Jongdae said. "The last one I was in started off like this but we're all friends now."

"Thanks but go to bed." Sunggyu said before switching the lights off and jumping into his bed, leaving Jongdae in complete darkness.

Jongdae sighed and wanted to tell Sunggyu so bad but he couldn't.

He promised.

He decided after a few moments that he'd sleep on the cold floor.

He deserved it anyway.

 

Sunggyu had been lying in the dark for an hour now.

It was dark but he could see Yongguk's hand dangling just above him. Sunggyu reached his hand up and skimmed Yongguk's fingers, slowly up to his palm.

Suddenly the hand he was touching clutched onto his and didn't seem like it intended to ever let go.

Then that's when he heard it. Their secret code.

"Fire lake." 

Sunggyu's heart dropped and all his muscles weakened but Yongguk held his hand firmly. 

For the first time, tears ran freely down Sunggyu's face and onto the sheets below him.

He knew this day was coming.

Now he knew why Jongdae is there.

 

The next day, Sunggyu beat himself up for not waking up early enough to see his best friend leave. Sunggyu washed up and got dressed for daily training without uttering a word to Jongdae.

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Jongdae asked, recieving a nod. "Okay, then. Let's go." Jongdae said before closing the door behind them.

 

Over the next few months, Sunggyu and Jongdae gradually grew closer without knowing it. 

They began sharing food, clothes, secrets, and even traces of breath.

"Come on, Gyu! We're gonna be late!" Jongdae called behind him.

Sunggyu groaned and cursed the slow-pokes in front of him.

"Aish~"

All millitary subjects must head to the main building for an extremely important anouncement.

 

The leading General stood on a platform with a mic in front of him. He seemed very stressed for the first time since Sunggyu's known him.

"Today's the day." Himchan said in a deep, serious tone. He sighed. "The war has started-"

Disapproving shouts and complaints filled the room.

"Silence! We are just as upset as you are. But the North has declared war and our great leader had no choice but to accept it with a heavy heart." Himchan said. "Do not be surprised if you or someone you know is called to go to the front lines." 

Sunggyu's heart skipped. 

"Fire lake."

Sunggyu averted his eyes and stared at the floor as he felt a hand on his back.

"It'll be fine." Jongdae said soothingly.

"We will call up a total of fifty soldiers to serve their country today. It is only manditory because of the situation South Korea is in at the moment. To give you all an insight, the leader of North Korea, Kim Jongun, is using a World War two tactic created by the United States' General Douglas MacArthur, island hopping. Our noble forces are holding up just past the border lines at Munsan at the moment. Your commrads are in desperate need of your support. Now please step up..."

It felt like eternity as Himchan called out the names one by one.

Then with time, Jongdae's name was called and Sunggyu was shattered inside.

"Goodbye, Hyung. Wish me luck. I'll send you a letter." Jongdae bid farewell before restraining his hand fom Sunggyu's back.

 

Sunggyu wished he had been called because he was now sitting alone in the room he used to adore.

Eventually, just a few days later, Sunggyu was sent off into Munsan, the "fire lake" or front lines.

 

Sunggyu arrived at the site and was immediately sent to the front.

"Kim Sunggyu!" 

Sunggyu's heart skipped and he whipped his head to see the best friend he hadn't seen in what seemed like years, Bang Yongguk.

Yongguk ran up and bro hugged Sunggyu, smiling his huge, gummy smile like he used to.

Sunggyu smiled as well as his eyes blurred.

"Wow! You're still a crybaby, Gyu?" Yongguk teased, recieving a knuckle.

"Shut up, bastard! Didn't you miss me?!" Sunggyu asked. Yongguk nodded before smiling again.

They heard a huge explosion and was snapped back into reality.

"Come on, let's go!" Yongguk said, smacking Sunggyu on the back. Sunggyu nodded then they ran out with the rest of the soldiers.

BAM!

Sunggyu felt the presence beside him fade and halted. He turned his head slowly to see red everywhere then he felt the tearing of a bullet rip through his throat. He felt the cement below him but his eyes never moved from his best friend; the friend he made by being drafted, his breath and brother. 

Sunggyu felt for Yongguk's eyes, which were held open when he was shot in the head, and shut them. He then reached for Yongguk's hand and held it firmly before letting himself slip away.

 

The letter from the now dead man that Sunggyu never recieved arrived in the mail distribution center today.

 

Kim Sunggyu, my dear friend. 
    I'm sorry but I don't think I'll be coming back. Not in one piece, at least. Please tell my friends and family that my time was bearable and that you, Sunggyu, was good to me. And I'm sorry I didn't tell you Yongguk Hyung was leaving. I was moved into your room to calm and soothe you because I was good at it, they used me and I promised. Again, I'm sorry. Thank you. I'm up next, wish me luck!
                    Your Friend, Kim Jongdae

P.S. Saranghae~