Phase One.

Curious

The clock in the studio was mocking her, she was totally sure of it. Iseul even stopped to give her a pep talk before their early morning classes, and Amber was so confident coming into the music lessons hour that she'd be able to make progress with the cellist. Amber had been so ready, so sure.... 

And here she was, ten minutes before lessons ended, and all she had done was "sneakily" stare at the cello boy. (And yes, by sneakily, she totally just blantantly stared at him until she came to her barely there senses.) 'He was busy!' She tried to convince herself, but she really knew that all she had been doing was making any and every excuse to not talk to him.

"Alright class, I know I usually don't do this," Amber looked up with wide eyes at the professor, "But you've all been working so hard on your jury performances this semester, so I'll let you out a few minutes early, get some food and keep up the excellent work!" 

Nooooooooooo. She panicked, looking at all of her classmates who were packing up and heading out, including Kris. She had approximately, at most, two minutes before Mr. Long Legs and Talented (curse Iseul for coming up with nicknames like that) made his way out the door and she lost her chance again. 

Now or never, Liu. 

"Hey Kris!" She almost choked on air when she realized that it came from her, not the person beside her. What's worse, he actually turned around, looking for the source of the voice and then landed on her.

Abort abort aBORT WHAT DO WHAT DO. More panic, as is normal in Amber's inner thoughts, and Iseul's pep talk came to remind her of what to do, "You love making friends, just be yourself! He'll be talking in no time if you do~ Oh, just don't treat it like you normally would a crush, because you're a mess, will blubber, and blow it."

Amber rolled her eyes as she remembered, muttering, "Thanks, Izz, you're such a great best friend..." with as much sarcasm as she could muster, hoping that wherever she was on campus, her roommate could sense her turmoil and slight insult towards her. 

"Amber, hey, what's up?" Kris asked, bringing her back to earth and looking... way, way, way up. Wow. Amber blinked. Oh hello Kris hi I forgot how tall you were --

Kris laughed a little, "Yeah, we haven't seen much of each other when I'm not sitting down, huh?" Oh . I'm talking out loud. Amber coughed, hoping that she didn't accidentally let more of her thoughts out. 

"Y-y-yeah. Uhm, oh, uh," Goddamnit Liu! Pull yourself together!, "How's jury practice coming along?" Good, she mentally patted herself on the back, normal conversation starter accomplished. 

He shrugged, "Pretty good, I guess. I'm playing Camillo Schumann's Cello Sonata no. 1 in G Minor, so it's just difficult to memorize."

Cello piece names, Amber thought, made no sense but okay. "Oh yeah, I bet. Sounds difficult, but I'm sure you'll do fine!"

"What about you?" Kris asked, "Any hardships? What are you performing?"

"Cloud-Shadows by Pyle and Rogers and uhm..." Amber faltered a little, shy about her next one, "An original piece." It's true, her composition classes and major wasn't for nothing. Amber loved writing music, and wouldn't give it up for the world. 

Kris looked... almost impressed? "Wow, really?" She nodded slowly, feeling her cheeks heat up, "That's awesome!" 

"Yeah, it's nervewracking, but it'll be worth it, I think." She smiled. "Oh, are you headed to the dining hall?" She asked, seeing that they'd come to the outside of the music building, right before two paths led to either the dining hall or the other buildings that held classes. Amber was obviously hoping for the former. 

"Yeah, I'm meeting Tao there." Kris confirmed, nodding his head. "I'm meeting Izzy there as well, want to head there together?" Another nod from the tall male and they set off. 

"I keep forgetting you and Izzy are roommates." Kris admitted, "She and Tao are always together, though, and we have class together, so I really should remember these things."

She shook her head, "Nah, it's fine, we don't talk that much so it's really not on you. I know, Izzy adores Tao. She calls him her 'gayby'." She sighed, ruffling her hair as she recalled the many times Tao has been introduced as her roommate's 'gayby'. 

"...Gayby?" Kris's brows furrowed as he looked down at her. Amber looked up, her own brow quirked. "You know, gay baby? Gayby?" She explained, her tone suggesting that it should be obvious. She's been hanging with her roommate far too much, she decided. 

A few seconds later though, the giant she was walking with doubled over in laughter, which was simutaneously the most beautiful and dorkiest sound she's ever heard and if he didn't have her heart before, whoops, there it goes. He has it now, no take backsies. Kris straightened up after a bit, sighing and regaining his breath after laughing so hard.

"God, Izzy is great." Hell yeah she is, I'm totally giving her free reign of the apartment with Chaelin next weekend high five my best friend --

"So--" Kris dove into another conversation topic, holding her attention until they reached the dining hall and paused their conversation to look for their roommates. It wasn't hard to find them. 

"Ah yes, the gay robotics team." Amber muttered under her breath as both Tao and Izzy noticed that their roommates were there together.

"My looooooooooove~" Oh no. Amber backed up, only to realize that, sadly, there was no escaping this time. "Izzy no, nO IZZY--"

Too ing late. Izzy had slammed her dense body into her, almost knocking her clean over if Amber hadn't already been through this every time they see each other in a public area since 8th grade. "God you're so ing dense--"

"Excuse you who the is dense here???" Izzy retorted, going more limp and putting her dead weight onto Amber's small body. "Dear GOD I'm SUFFOCATING--" Amber struggled, attempting to keep Izzy up and not crushing her. 

Izzy sighed dramatically, tossing her curls as she looked forlorn at her robotics partner, "Rude. Tao, do you see this? I lo--live with this, pity me!" She thre her head back, pretending to die while still putting her weight on her best friend.

"You should pity me," Tao scoffed, "I live with a fashion disaster." He jerked his head over to Kris, who shrugged as he was being insulted. It seemed that they as well were on the level of insulting friendship that Amber and Izzy were on.

Izzy suddenly got up from Amber and rolled her eyes at Tao. "Tao you literally wear plaid with a ing fur coat, do not even pretend."

"It's called HIGH FASHION." Tao squawked, turning to his roommate for help, and was once again met with an noncomittal shrug. This nonsense bickering and insult war kept going back and forth between the two robotics majors, and Amber and Kris just looked on in amusement.

"...Aren't they supposed to be the logical ones of the duo?" Kris asked, raising an eyebrow at Amber. She laughed, "Yeah, I thought the Fine Arts held all the drama and theatrics too... Who knows what God was thinking when he made those two, though."

When a pair of shrieks reached their ears, Kris flinched. "Noise. Lots of noise." 

"Don't forget rainbows and inappropiate jokes." Amber mentioned, making Kris laugh once more. She grinned. "Uhm, you guys are sooo slow," Tao yelled, "We're going to actually eat, join us if you want."

"They're trying to perfect the starving aesthetic look, don't bother them!" Izzy shot back, and Amber could hear the two continue to bicker and banter as they headed towards the cafeteria. 

"I don't know about you," Kris caught her attention once more (not like he ever lost it when he was in the same room, honestly), "But I'm not into starving, so I'm going to get some lunch." Amber nodded, hurrying after him to grab some much needed food.

The rest of lunch went fairly smoothing, in Amber's opinion. Well, excluding when she chokedon ice because Kris leaned in really close and Izzy decided that instead of helping her, she'd just die in laughter as Tao screamed and once again brought all the attention onto the two of them. But yeah, besides the attempt that Izzy made on her life, lunch was great. More than great, actually. Amber didn't realize how funny Kris could really be, especially when paired with Tao.

"Hey Amber, we never hang out, do we?" 

Mouth to brain fuction, do not up now, "Noooope." Amber sighed in relief, "We don't...."

Kris' smile almost made her heart stop. "That should change. Give me your phone real quick, I gotta get to my accountings class..."

As she handed over her phone, she realized what she just said, looking up at him in confusion, "Accountings...?"

"He is not leaving this college as my best friend without a sense of actual math that can help him in life." Tao slung an arm around his shoulder as he watched Kris type in his number, before giving Amber her phone back with a grin.

"Abstract Algebra is math!" Kris retorted, his brow furrowing. Both Tao and Izzy snorted, rolling their eyes as Kris looked at Amber for help. Amber shrugged, "Don't look at me, dude. I'm given personal math lessons by her." She jerked her thumb over to her best friend.

"And it has the word 'abstract' in it, darling," Tao sighed, starting to steer his friend out of the cafeteria, "So therefore it does not count. Therefore, my poor, innocent, sweet, clueless Kris Wu, we will be going to class. Let's go~" He sung, waving goodbye to the two girls as he led Kris away.

"Soooo...?" Izzy prodded Amber as she stared down at the new contact in her phone.

"I hope you get laid so much this weekend."