1831

Eternal night

It was the year 1831

Upon a ship, in a cage lies a group of young children. Sitting in the darkness they can hear the sounds of foreign voices and the ships planks creaking. Weeks on rations they arrive to there strange new country. "girls here boys here." chains on there wrists they are split apart and are wheeled along the muddy roads. "how much do you think we'll get?" one man throws his hat down wiping his brow. "god knows, the professor said he needed live test subjects." unable to understand the adults conversation all of the young children didn't even bat an eyelid. Opening an iron gate the cart stops leading the children to the door. "well how much for the lot?" a tall man with a thin black mustache hands over a bag of coins. The two men hand over the chains and keys then walk away. 

For years the boys are put through various experiments on both body and mind, no one heard the screams coming from the manor. Every six months the men would return with new test subjects from different countries all just children. "eugh that's another one gone sir." the assistant writes into a thick note book. "bring me number 005." strapped into a wheel chair a young boy is brought into the lab. "knock knock". Leaving the child the professor opens the door. It was a messenger boy. "sir, Mr smith and Mr Jones have been found dead at sea shot down by the royal navy!" angry the professor slams the door shut. Walking back to his lab the male holds either edge of the chair. "it would seem that you are my last test subject before my arrest, and for that I give you a gift my Korean child." 

Barely alive the professor injects the boy with a red elixir. "if this works you'll thank me for eternity." stepping back the male watches the boy writhing in pain begging to be let free of his restraints. "your English is quiet impressive after all these years." Once the movement stopped the young teens eyes shot open, glowing a dark red. "haha by God! It worked!" upon celebration the door is kicked off its hinges barging through is a group of police men charging at both the professor and his assistant pinning them to the ground. "you are under arrest sir! Constable attend to the child." running to his aid the 11 year old is freed from his restraints and cradled in the officers arms out of the manor. 

He shields his eyes from the sun light. "I..t burns" the boy covers his face with his scarred and infected arms. Placed into a horse drawn carriage he is rushed into the royal hospital of London. The doctors are given the run down on the child's situation. "nurse, I need bloods, oxygen and water asap" for weeks the child is treated for various infections, viruses and broken bones. "it's a miracle he's still alive." dependent on the help of nurses the boy could just about walk. A young officer walks into the hospital ward explaining the news. "to really put the professor away, we're going to  need him as a witness, do you think he would be healthy enough to come up to the stand?" scratching his chin the doctor rests against the hospital bed. "well he would need help, but he should be healthy enough." 

Two days later he is brought into the chief inspectors office. "good morning young man, I see that you are well." the boy nodded in agreement. "from our investigation I can see that you've been through a lot, more than any child should, we are very grateful for the help you will be giving us." again the boy nods. "now I've heard you do not have a name." he lowers his head in shame. "I've never had one sir." to comfort the child the inspector lightly pats his shoulder. "umm let me see well I'm a Law Enforcement Officer so ummm Leo?" the boy smiles. "thank you sir." throughout the day they go through the questions he would be asked in court. 

"I Judge Henry Lockwood decree that you Professor Thomas Hyde guilty and for that I sentence you  the death penalty by the noose. " All people leave the court room happy with the out come. Leo stands there as a few high ranking officers whisper to each other. Putting leo in a cart he is taken far into the city. The carriage stops in front of an old grey building, they are greeted by a hunched older woman. "I see that will be 4 shillings officer" putting the coins in her pocket leo is separated from the police man and is placed in to an office. 

"welcome lad to St. Mary's work house, I'm Mr Edison. " leo shakes the over weight man's sweaty hand. "I have assigned you to work in the mines, we wouldn't want employers seeing those unsightly scars would we now." he rolls down his sleeves embarrassed. Taken out of the room leo is pushed into a corridor full of children from age 4 to 16. "this is here you'll be sleeping lad don't forget it." scared the children give  him dirty looks annoyed that a new person has joined their room. "oi kid what they put you on?" 

"coal mines." the older children laughed. "ha he won't even last a month." candles blown out leo grabs a spare potato sack and goes to sleep. 5:30 in the morning all coal children are brought up to be taken to the mines. 

-----Leo's POV -----

It was the second week of living at the work house that I noticed I'd become different. At night some times I'd wake up sweat pouring off my body, my throat felt like it was burning like a hunger I'd run to the bathroom my eyes would glow the same red the professor told me about. Even in the mines I could pull 6 carts in one journey while on average a child my age could only pull 1. I was scared. The night sweats became a regular thing and the cabbage soup we were given for food couldn't stop my hunger I wanted more. At age 15 the work house was caught in a fire us kids were thrown onto the streets. 
The sounds and smells on the streets overwhelmed me. People were moving so slow yet so fast at the same time. Feeling sick I sat in an ally way behind an old tavern, the sun had gone it was late, I could feel that same thirst, that burning sensation it was the strongest it had ever been, I felt like I was choking. Suddenly a young man was thrown out of the tavern. "god sake son sober up!" he lay there smiling his hair was a dark brown and messy, it was strange he didn't look like most British people back then. Looking at his hand it showed a branding it read. "KOR -67115" I gasped. He was Korean? He moved slightly in pain. His lower neck was bleeding. 

Before I knew it I'd clasped my jaw onto is neck he wiggled for a few seconds but after a while it suddenly stopped. The feeling of thirst had gone, my whole body felt stronger, powerful. Then it hit me the young man had become pale, I shakedown him and shouted he wouldn't wake up, he was dead and I killed him. 

 

Next part up soon! X