Unexpected

Angels in Heaven

The front lines screamed, “Gruesome Murder”. I read the article, cringing. A psychotic murderer with the nickname, The Devil, kidnapped young girls and butchered them to death, dumping their remains in different locations. I pitied the victims, having to go through torture at such a tender age. Just then, my boyfriend, Sehun entered the room. “Why the disgusted face?” he asked. “This horrible murder,” I replied, shaking my head and showing him the article. “At least the girls are angels now,” he said, expressionless. I was puzzled. What did Sehun mean? Before I could ask further, he pulled me into his embrace and whispered, “I will never let him touch you.”

 

*3 days later*

 

 My phone rang and I rushed to pick it up. “(Y/N), Soyeon...Disappeared from the playground..Near our house...The worst thing is, I discovered a symbol of an eye in a triangle drawn in the sand…” your elder sister, Ahreum, said between sobs. My eyes widen as big as saucers, my mouth agape. The symbol of the eye in the triangle represented The Devil. I rushed over to Ahreum without hesitation.

 I arrived at the playground, the sight of Ahreum crying made me feel devastated. Soyeon and I were like the best of friends. I would take her out to amusement parks and for small shopping trips. I could not bear the thought of losing her. I was heartbroken. I tried with all ways and means to comfort Ahreum but to no avail. Eventually, I gave up and asked how Soyeon disappeared. “We were the only ones in the playground and I was reading my book while Soyeon played by herself. After a while when I lifted my head to check on her, she was gone. I searched high and low but could only find the symbol,” Ahreum said bitterly. She then shook her head, as if she was trying to wake up from this horrifying nightmare.

 

 I vowed to find Soyeon. I was determined and would not stop until I find her. I decided to search the area within a hundred metre radius. But after one hour of scouting, I still could not find anything or even some sort of clue. I was on the verge of giving up when I spotted an old and run-down warehouse. Could Soyeon be in there? Curiosity got the best of me and I ventured into the warehouse.

 It was pitch black but I could make out the outlines of a flight of stairs. Heart thumping wildly, I silently inched up the stairs. Just when I was about to reach the top, I heard a blood-curling, stifled scream. My blood ran cold. Gut-ripping fear flashed down the length of my spine. I mustered all my courage and looked into the room, just a few metres away from me.

 I could only mouth a silent scream of strangulated horror at the sight in front of me. Soyeon was lying motionless on the cement floor, in a pool of crimson red blood. Her face was as pale as a ghost. I slowly peeled my eyes away from her fragile body and then I saw him, the cause of all those terror.

 His back was facing me. He still hadn’t sense my presence. He carefully and gently lifted  Soyeon’s body from the floor and whispered loud enough for me to hear, “Goodbye my sweet, you are an angel in heaven now.” Where have I heard that before? His voice so familiar… I froze in shock and shook my head. “Oh no, that can’t be…” I thought. In my state of shock, I dropped my phone and failed to catch it. Resulting in it making a reverberated sound in the eerily silent warehouse and a frisson of fear gripped me.

 He whipped his head around. I confirmed my worst fear. That merciless and insane murderer was none other than… Oh Sehun.