The Academy

The Anomaly.

 the academy 

                                                                                        chapter four.


                                 

      

Two months later, spring came.

It's the time of the year wherein trails of cherry blossom trees along the sidewalk started to bloom. The time of the day wherein the sun was just burning through and little by little, the tiny rural jungle woke up. Slowly by slowly people started to walk out of their homes to the streets. 

Meanwhile a girl nursing two cups of early teas at Sugar's brisk-walked towards the car. She watched as the town's small information boards flash alive with their 6 o'clock news. The weather report, traffic delays and latest celebrity scandals were reported hastily in order to get to the bigger news of the day.

"Maru, hurry up. We can't afford to be late the first day." Her grandmother hollered over as soon as she got nearer to the car.

The girl, Maru, then gave her a cup in which the older gratefuly took. 

“I’m sure it seems a little intimidating now, but I know you’re going to love it there.” Grandma beamed, happiness radiating from her watery eyes.

Maru's heart ached and mustered up a half smile. She filled her brain with confidence and optimism about the school to come. And seeing her Grandma this happy, she figured she'll have to try.

"I'm sure I will."


 

"Were here." Maru pulled into the Crux Academy parking lot, and squinted her eyes as she scanned the area. Rows of parking spaces lined the wide lot. A lone oak tree stood at one end, about twenty feet outside the edge of the iron fence that encircled the perfectly bright green grass. The tree's braches were spreading wildly and the crown were uneven. 

 

But the tree's uneven branches were soothing, for some reason, and the tree looked almost big enough to hide behind.

 

Maru nibbled on her bottom lip and asked, "Why would he build a school up in an isolated moutain?"

 

Grandma shrugged her shoulders, not even affected by the sudden mention of her granddaughter's father. It wasn't like she hated him, besides he was kind enough to help them in terms of their financial needs although she didn't appreciate him leaving his daughter. But upon hearing his apology and invitation to Crux Academy, she was convinced that this will be a great chance to rekindle their frozen hearts.

 

Maru stepped outside and watched, awestrucked at the long line of various black and shiny cars. Girls and boys looked cool as they got off of their luxury cars assited by their buttlers and chauffeurs. This made Maru unconsciously glanced at her old truck and sighed.

 

She walked around to the back and whacked the trunk open. She took her hideous, (but not really) second-hand silver-and-black luggage and hauled it out then let it fall to the ground with a thud.

 

Students were allowed to bring one trunkful of stuff, and it would be collected from the parking lot and then taken to their rooms while they will be at the orientation.

 

A young lady suddenly appeared and flashed a big smile to Maru, "Hello, nice to meet you, I'm Juhyoon, member of the school's orientation team. I'll be taking your luggage from here and you may now get on the bus. Please bid your final goodbyes to your loved ones. Welcome to Crux and good luck!" 

 

Maru smiled gratefuly and let her take her luggage. "Thanks."

 

With her belongings all settled, Maru glanced around, she had expected a lot of crying and wailing by now but she was shocked to see that most of the other students have already taken their seats on the bus.

 

She stood for a long minute then looked at Grandma through the window. She waved and then slipped on the enormous plastic sunglasses she wore over her regular glasses.

 

She made a huge fuss that morning about her leaving as soon as she unloaded her trunk and Grandma agreed that she would. It was shocking, how she let Maru easily win. Maybe because she'd already won the war by getting her to try Crux.

 

Now a part of her wished her Grandmother had fought a little harder.

 

Reluctantly, Maru waved back, fighting back the angry tears from spilling out. 

 

You've cried enough yesterday Maru. You have to be strong for Grandma. Maru thought to herself, and took a big deep breath. "For Grandma."

 

When Grandma drove away slowly, Maru didn't have any choice then, so she turned around and swallowed hard as she stepped on the bus, checking out the kids who would be there to witness her doom.

 

I mean, her freshman year.

 

 


 

The kids looked on at the last girl to enter the bus, their eyes downright predatory. Maru felt a little ping of discomfort and couldn't help but gulp.

 

The bus was silent only the sound of Maru's tiny whispers of excuses as she tried to pass the aisle. The vacant seat that was left far at the back of the bus looked like it was made by the heavens just for her.

 

Chanyeol had his arms folded over the back of the seat in front of him, leaning his head down on it.

 

He can't believe he's back here again.

 

He brought his left hand to his face. The ring on his finger seemed so shiny and brand new. His eyebrows drew closer while he concentrated on his finger, just then a tiny red light flickered but died out as soon as it came. 

 

The pain made Chanyeol flinch, and tiny puffs of smoke and a black singe mark spread across his ring. 

 

"Uhm.. Is this seat taken?" 

 

A voice called. He looked up and saw a girl who seemed rather familiar.

 

"You!"

 

"Yoda!"

 

They both said in unison. 

 

Maru's mouth dropped open, it was the dark-haired kid she almost bumped into before. 

 

He's alive... she let out a sigh of relief.. .and he looked anything but scared... It took her a second to shake off her shock.

 

"What?!" Chanyeol rose, Yoda?  Of all infinite things she could call him. 

 

"Of all things you could name me. You! Ayyy!" He said, annoyed and sat back down

 

True to his word, Maru realized he was way better looking than Yoda and than on what she remembered. Wow, he must have not showered that morning, or been sick or something, because he looked totally different now. He had thick dark hair that covered his forehead and partially covered his dark round eyes. She would never recognize him if it wasn't for his Yoda-like ears.

 

She hesitated at first but sat down anyway, "Sorry. It's because I didn't get your name last time?" she gave him a tiny, almost apologetic smile. 

 

"Forget it." He replied flatly and peered out the window.

 

Maru's eyes caught a glimpse at the dark silvery ring around his ring finger as he popped a few knuckles, then her gaze went slowly up at his face. She was observing him intensely, she could've bore holes by now.

 

His face wasn't all angles, but with high cheekbones and a cute pair of eyebrows that seemed to frown all the time. Lines under his large eyes that had a hint of mischievousness in them were visible.

 

"It's rude to stare, you know." He said though he didn't look away from the window.

 

Maru tore her gaze away, surprised. "I wasn't." She lied.

 

And the bus started rumbling across the parking lot. 

 

"So why was he following you?" Maru tried to stop herself, but it was itching at the tip of her tongue and, oh well, curiosity wins out. 

 

Chanyeol could've burned the girl beside him to ashes for being so nosy if it wasn't for his stupid ring.

 

He turned his whole body towards her. The bus seats were dark blue pleather and just had enough room for two.  Maru was startled as she came face to face with him, so close that she had to stop herself from lurching out of the seat. 

 

"Mind your own business. It's because of you I ended up in this stupid hell hole again." The emphasis on the word "you" was so strong it was like he was trying to teach her another language.

 

She crossed her arms over chest in retreat, the light from the window threw strange shadows across his face. Now, she remembered exactly how he'd look like when she first met him.

 

"I'm sorry but was that my fault—" Just as she was about to retort, the bus stopped and everyone got quiet. A cloud of dust drifted through the window and the big iron gates that circled the school loomed in front of them. The driver held something up to a square, black-armed device that stood just to the left of the road leading up to the school. It produced a loud beep, and then, with a sound like a roller coaster going up the first big hill, the gate slowly began to retract.

 

When the gates had opened wide enough for the bus, the bus pulled forward. Maru forgot what she was about to say as she lost sight of the gate after they cleared the opening, but didn't miss the mechanical voice calling out loudly, 

"Caution, the gates are closing! Caution, the gates are closing!"

 

A second later the clang of heavy metal bars slamming together echoed through the bus. 

 

Maru jumped and whipped her head around as the bus fell silent. She watched, fixated, as the gate disappeared from view.

 

Then everyone restarted their conversation as if this whole thing was a normal everyday occurence.

 

Which, in a sense, probably was.

 

"I guess some kids came from Crux Middle School." Maru wasn't the type to first intiate a conversation but it was hard when Chanyeol's face looked so pale. He didn't respond.

 

"They must be serious about the whole security thing." She offered a smile, completely forgetting the argument they just had. Maybe she because, she too, was scared.

 

"Security?" he scoffed.

 

"You know, to protect the students.." She gestured towards the rest of the bus. "Keep the bad guys out?"

 

"Keep the bad guys out, or keep us in?"

 

He said it under his breath and Maru wasn't sure if he meant for her to hear. But his words settled between them, heavy and impossible to ignore. When she looked down, she realized she had clenched her hand into a fist. One by one, she released each finger.

 

"You're kidding, right?"

 

Chanyeol snorted but didn't respond. Then turned away to stare out the window, a little smirk playing around his lips. She considered saying something else, but Chanyeol's eyes didn't look quite right...

 

 


AUTHOR'S NOTES 
So far, you've met three members. And Chanyeol might be a little different here but as I've said before, first impressions aren't always right. (i gave you a heads up beforehand) How will things  turn out? Find out more in the next updates.
I hope you enjoy :)

Don't hesistate to leave a comment or two after reading. I really appreciate your feedbacks. Thank you. 

Love from the winter cat, 

Frost.