Chapter 2

I'd Probably Still Adore You

Sehun could hardly focus in class, and by the time the bell went he was ready to either tear his own hair out or take an incredibly long nap. There was apparently no rest for the weary though. As chatter broke out between the students as they began filing out, Baekhyun spun around in his seat, levelling Sehun with a questioning stare. “Well then, would you care to share?”

Sehun let out a stressed groan. “I don’t know, Baek! I went to school with them for a year about five years ago and now they’re enrolled in my school. That’s it.”

Baekhyun coughed pointedly. “To see you, I might add.”

Chanyeol stood up abruptly, interrupting whatever garbled response Sehun could come up with. “You can tell us in a minute. We’d better get some food.”

Sehun nodded enthusiastically, standing up as well and heading for the door.

“Just because you’re jealous doesn’t mean you have to interrupt my gossip.” Baekhyun teased, following the other two.

“I’m not jealous! Why would I be jealous!?” Chanyeol protested, nervously glancing at Sehun. The action was completely unnoticed by the boy, whose mind was very preoccupied with other matters.

Baekhyun smiled, patting the much taller boy’s shoulder. “Ah Yeolie. It’s a lost cause my friend. He has actual on legs pursuing him. Times two.”

Sehun, who was completely zoned out from the conversation was jolted back to reality by Baekhyun’s cackling laugh.

“What are you laughing about?”

Baekhyun pointed forward. “The breathing masterpieces that are heading this way.”

Sehun looked ahead and almost fell flat on his face when he registered Kai and Jongin walking towards them, Kai holding two plastic bags. Baekhyun let out a laugh at his actions, waving in reply to a smiling Jongin.

When the pair reached them, Jongin immediately detached himself from the side of Kai’s body and squeezed Sehun into a tight hug. “Hey Sehunnie!” he said brightly, pulling away and back over to Kai. “How was your class?”

Sehun couldn’t get over how completely surreal this situation was. “Um… it was good.”

“I’m glad! Come on, let’s eat.” The boy grabbed onto Kai and Sehun’s arms, hooking his through them and pulling them through the door.

Once they were seated with food, Jongin and Kai sitting either side of Sehun, Jongin seemed to remember something and gasped.

“Sehun, guess what?” the boy didn’t wait for a reply, reaching under the table where Kai had placed their plastic bags. He pulled one out and held it in front of Sehun with a huge smile, which Sehun had to admit was adorable. “We got our uniforms!”

Sehun felt a small smile on his lips, remembering the Jongin from five years ago was almost exactly the same as the one sitting in front of him now. Well, personality-wise, he was similar. Physically….

Sehun cleared his throat, trying to shake his mind of it’s straying thoughts. “That’s good, Jongin.”

“Yeah it is! Now we can blend in while we’re hiding.” Jongin smiled happily to himself as he looked into the bag.

Sehun blinked at him, before turning to Kai. The other twin merely sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

“Kai.” Sehun said slowly, receiving no reaction from him. Jongin, however, seemed to freeze, and he looked up, his expression far too ‘oh--I-messed-up’ for Sehun’s liking. “What do you mean hiding.”

Kai began picking at his food nonchalantly. “Nothing.”

Sehun turned his attention to Jongin, remembering the other boy was always far easier to crack.

“Jongin.” He tensed, looking at Sehun like a deer caught in the headlights. Sehun heard a light groan from Kai like he knew the jig was up. “Do your parents know you’re here?”

“Well.” Jongin looked past Sehun at Kai, and Sehun saw the other shrug in his peripheral vision. “No?”

“You guys are hiding from your parents then?”

Jongin coughed, his eyes still not meeting Sehun’s.

Kai’s voice piped up from Sehun’s other side. “Not exactly.”

“Would you like to explain?”

“We may or may not be hiding from Suho?”

There was a lengthy pause.

“Like, as in Exo’s Suho-”

“What the hell did you guys do!?” Sehun asked, his voice loud. 

“Nothing!” Jongin insisted, his eyes wide.

Sehun’s eyes narrowed. “That fact that you are hiding from Exo, an incredibly intimidating and highly skilled league of sorcerers begs to differ.”

“He found us.” Kai supplied gruffly.

“He appeared in front of us!” Jongin interrupted, “And he said if we join Exo they can teach us how to use our powers as one. Something about how when twins work together it’s really powerful.”

“And?”

“And then he told us we had a month to decide.” Kai continued, “And when we want to join, to go to the top of Honey Pine Hill.”

“When? What if you don’t join?” Sehun asked, dreading the answer.

“I asked the same thing. He said ‘You don’t have a choice.’”

Sehun dropped his head into his hands. “Well this is just fantastic.”

A voice piped up from across the table, making the three jump.

“Would someone like to explain what’s going on?”

 

+++++

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol stared at Sehun in disbelief. The five of them were out behind the sports shed, and Sehun was desperately trying to explain the situation without coming off as mentally insane.

“You’re trying to tell me,” Baekhyun started, “that you are in fact, magic.” Sehun nodded, biting his lip. “And that you went to a school of magic for a year, which is where you met these two,” he gestured to the twins, “whose parents run the school. And now some underground magical mafia is out to get them because the leader sought them out when they ran away from home.”

“Yes.”

Chanyeol gaped. “What.”

“Sehun, are you sure we should tell them?” Kai asked, almost anxiously as he watched the pair.

“They’ve been my best friends for five years.” Sehun reassured him, “I trust them completely.”

“Wait a second.” Baekhyun narrowed his eyes at Sehun. “What’s the name of this magic school?”

“Blue Brook Selective High School?”

“Huh. Well, now I know why they rejected my application. Thought it was a bit odd that they asked me about my family lineage. The only magic the Byuns have got is my mum’s enchanting ability to perform opera while drunk.”

Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun. “Wait, you believe it?”

“I’ve seen you in crocs, Chanyeol, I can handle the supernatural.”

“Baekhyun, this is-”

“Chanyeol, look.” Sehun interjected. “I’ll show you.”

Sehun closed his eyes and tried to clear his mind. It had been a few months since he had used magic, and he could feel it as it seemed to awaken and stretch, flowing easier through his veins. He lifted his hand into the air, holding his palm up, and with one thought in mind, he opened his eyes and snapped his fingers.

“Y-your eyes.” Chanyeol whispered, and Sehun knew his eyes were a bright, pulsing blue, the colour all sorcerers eyes turned while performing magic. Warm tendrils of shimmering gold light curled out from his hand, weaving together, forming a tight shape. All of a sudden, the shape popped like a bubble, and a white lily dropped about an inch into Sehun’s waiting grasp. He handed it to Chanyeol, who seemed like his brain was about to implode, a massive grin on his face.

“Okay. Yep. Definitely believe you. 100%.”

“That was so cool!” Baekhyun exclaimed, his smile almost as wide as Chanyeol’s.

Sehun smiled at the gawking duo, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. “Uh, thank you.”

Sehun felt a slender arm wrap around his waist, and he looked to his left to find Kai smirking almost… proudly?

“Sehunnie was always the best. Everyone was really surprised he left, we all thought he was gonna end up on the Sorcerers Council or something.”

“Actually, why did you start going to normal school?” Baekhyun asked curiously.

Sehun frowned slightly. “My dad wanted me going to the best school possible, which in his mind was this one. He only sent me to Blue Brook’s for a year for me to learn how to control my powers, not use them.”

Both Jongin and Kai scowled at this. Well, Jongin’s expression was a scowl, Kai’s was more of a vicious glower.

Chanyeol smiled at Sehun. “Well, I’m glad everything worked out. We got to meet you.”

Kai sent a glare to the taller boy and Sehun felt the grip on his hip tighten. The sensation sent a thrill through his body, one that was not calmed by Jongin innocently threading his fingers through his own.

Chanyeol piped up from across from them. “So, this Eggo-”

“Exo.” Kai interrupted, levelling him with a blank stare.

The boy shifted awkwardly. “Um, yeah. How bad are they?”

Jongin’s fingers squeezed Sehun’s own. “Well, everybody’s only ever heard rumours.” The younger began absentmindedly the back of the other’s hand with his thumb in an attempt to soothe him.

“Like what?” Baekhyun looked like he regretted the question the second he asked it.

“Like the time they decapitated a barista for spilling coffee on one of them.” Kai answered.

Baekhyun gulped. “Ah.”

Sehun looked to his left and right, wondering how after five years, he found himself back in between these two. And why, after so much time, it felt so familiar, so comfortable.

“What are you guys going to do?” He asked.

The conversation was interrupted as the bell rang, piercing and shrill.

Kai let his hands fall from his hip before answering. “Go to class, I guess."

 

+++++

 

Sehun was used to going to maths by himself, so when Jongin asked what he had next he hadn’t been hopeful. However, it turned out Jongin was in the same class as him, and Sehun as more than happy to take the boy to their room.

Jongin chattered excitedly as they walked. He seemed almost nervous, pulling the cuffs of his jumper over his hands and biting his lip in between spiels.

Sehun resisted the urge to leap at the other and squish his cheeks. Despite everything, Jongin was still insanely adorable.

“What subjects are you doing?” Sehun asked gently, trying to calm Jongin’s nerves.

“Oh! Um, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Maths extension 2 and Economics.” He finished listing his subjects and glanced over at Sehun shyly.

“That’s great!” Sehun replied, smiling. “That means we share Maths and Econ.”

Jongin’s eyes widened, “R-really? That’s great!”

Sehun couldn’t help but let out a soft chuckle. “You really get nervous without Kai, don’t you? I’d almost forgotten.” He said affectionately.

Jongin bit his lip, a light blush colouring his cheeks. “Yeah. I feel so safe around him I forget how anxious I am by myself.”

Sehun reached across and delicately took his hand into his own, lacing their fingers. “You know you’re safe with me, right? You don’t have to be nervous.”

Jongin stared down at their hands, an elated expression passing over his face. “You mean that?”

“Of course I do.”

Jongin grinned hugely, about to say something when the warning bell went off and his expression turned horrified.

“We’re gonna be late!” he gasped, gripping Sehun’s hand and tugging him down the hallway in what he hoped was the right direction.

Sehun laughed and walked a bit faster.

+++

Baekhyun strolled into Ancient History, and did a double take when he looked up and saw Kai sitting down. He sat down next to him, wondering how on earth he could have gotten here before him.

“You do Ancient?” he asked, pulling his books out of his folder.

Kai looked at him disbelievingly. “Obviously.”

“How the hell did you get here before me? We left from the same place at the same time. Plus, you’re new.”

Kai raised an eyebrow at the smaller man, an almost unnoticable smile playing on his lips.

Baekhyun groaned. “I’m already sick of magic.” He muttered.

Kai scoffed.

+++

Twenty minutes into the lesson and Sehun decided Jongin was sent to this classroom purely to distract him.

The teen had reading glasses, that he would have to push up every minute or so. The jumper sleeve on his writing hand was pushed right up to his elbow, but it needed to be pushed back every now and then when he wrote a lot on one go. He really needed a haircut, but he didn’t have the heart to tell him, and he guessed that Kai didn’t either. When he worked the hair would fall into his eyes and he would pout, before pushing it onto his head in one big clump. Basically, it was the cutest thing Sehun had ever seen.

Inwardly groaning, Sehun resolved that he needed a way to stop the hair thing or he would end up staring at it for the rest of the lesson.

Reminding himself it was for the good of the grade, he turned in his seat, to face the girl across the isle from him.

“Hey.” Sehun whispered.

The girl looked up from her work, her eyes almost popping out of her skull when she saw it was Sehun talking to her. “H-hello.”

Sehun had no idea how to go about this, so he (with a heavy amount of regret) decided to take some of Baekhyun's advice.

He smiled at the girl, tilting his head in what he prayed to whatever god was watching was a cute way. “Can I please borrow your hair tie?”

The girl blushed almost neon red, nodding furiously as she pulled it out of her hair and handed it over. Sehun worried she might be about to pass out if she didn’t breathe out.

Smiling again, he thanked her and turned back to the front, sighing in relief. With the hair tie, safely in hand, he turned to Jongin to see him pulling the fringe off his forehead. Sehun leaned in, taking the wad of hair into his own grip. Jongin froze beneath him at the action, and he tied it up quickly into a small ponytail.

Jongin looked up when he was finished, and Sehun immediately wanted to slap himself. All he had done was make Jongin look ten times more adorable than before. Sehun suppressed his inner squeals with a sigh. This was a losing battle.

Realizing Jongin was still staring at him, Sehun hurriedly explained himself. “Um, it was getting in your eyes.”

A pretty pink settled over his cheeks. “T-thank you! Kai sometimes does that as well.” He smiled and put his head back down, starting to work again, the little ponytail bobbing on his head.

Well, Sehun thought to himself, at least he finds the ponytail useful.

+++

The bell rang and Baekhyun and Kai began packing up their things.

Kai stood up from his seat, folding his arms over his head and arching his back, stretching out his limbs. The action lifted his shirt and revealed a stretch of toned tattooed skin. A group of girls across the room started giggling, and Baekhyun gave a loud wolf whistle.

“You know,” Baekhyun teased, “if you ever get sick of Sehun, don’t hesitate to give me a call.”

Kai gave a small laugh. “Thanks but your not my type.” He joked back.

Baekhyun sighed, standing and pulling his backpack over his shoulders. “I knew I made a mistake not being born tall and pale. What was I thinking?”

Kai snorted at him.

As the two turned to leave the classroom, someone accidentally banged into Baekhyun, causing him to lose his grip on his books. He grabbed at the air, looked down and shook his head, incredibly pleased with himself finding he had caught the books. “How’s that for reflexes, huh?” he asked, flapping them in Kai’s face.

Kai looked at him funny, and the shorter male snickered. “What, didn’t think I could do it, huh?”

Kai didn’t answer, and Baekhyun cackled, leading the two out the classroom.

“What’d you say your last name was again?” Kai asked.

“Uh, Byun. Why?” Baekhyun answered, slightly confused.

“Nothing.” Kai brushed it off, turning around already. “See you later then.”

“Bye!”

 

 

AN

this was originally going to be 2 or 3 chapters but i just went on a writing spree and wrote most of this story XD

its 5am.... thank god i dont have class.

once again i'm really sorry if i've gotten anyones hopes up or down by forgetting to tag this as magic. i hope u can continue to enjoy it but if not i completely understand <3

anyways thank you SO MUCH for reading and a MASSIVE thank you to you guys who have subscribed and commented (one of you even upvoted like thank you thank you!!!!!!)