01 Home Sweet Hell

Umbra Memorias

Notes before you read: This did not start out as a fanfiction, it's been edited to be one (via find&replace for names mostly). So there will be mistakes because that particular function seems to have issues o.O at least for me. Also I don't currently have a beta so editing mistakes are plentiful ;; if you wish to save me from myself and be my beta I will love you forever.

IMPORTANT: 
Kali = Kai
Abaddon = Chanyeol
Persephone = Key
Hades = Jonghyun


   Pomegranate seeds, drenched in glistening honey. The juice staining his lips, now sticky from the sweet golden nectar. The taste was indescribable, more succulent than  any fruit he had ever eaten before, sweeter than any sugar he had ever known. 

 

    All it took was that one forbidden bite. Eve had him apple, but Persephone had always preferred the sweeter taste of pomegranates. 

 

    Taemin remembered the flavor well, it’s hard to forget the taste that damns you for all of eternity.  Once you taste the food of Underworld you can never return to the land of the living, or at least that’s what Persephone told them that night. 

 

    The smell of sulfur and the taste of pomegranates and honey, if anywhere were to ask him that was how Taemin would describe the Underworld. 

 

    But the Reapers? He could only describe them as pure sensual heat. The kind that made his blood feel like lava in his veins,  made him feel like he was burning alive slowly from the inside out. 

 

    Most people knew Reapers by a different name; demons. Taemin knew them as Masters.

 

    “Kali...” Taemin’s voice carried despite it’s softness in the nearly empty room. A Reaper’s room, lavishly decorated with millennia of relics dating back further than Taemin could recognize. There were weapons from every civilization that had ever existed on Earth, stone carvings, decorative vases, tapestries, even an entire shrine all depicting the same deity. A creature of destruction and power, human in appearance except for the multitude of arms, some shown only four, others hundreds. All of them were the same being, the demon who stood in the doorway. Once respected and feared as a god, now he was little more than myth to the Land of the Living.

 

    “What is it now?” The demon spoke with a voice deep enough Taemin could feel it in his chest, yet as light and sensual as silk. Impossible to describe, everything about the creatures were impossible to depict with words. Impossible to truly understand unless you had seen one for yourself. 

 

    Despite the impatience of the words themselves, the tone they were spoken with betrayed nothing at all. No emotion detectable, but Taemin knew better than to listen with his ears. The way Kali was standing, his weight shifted to one side, his hand resting against the doorway. He was shirtless, wearing only tight fitting black pants, and the jewelry that always adorned him. He always reminded Taemin of a Prince. An inhuman, Prince of pure darkness and sin. His skin was translucent, a pale opal color that appeared all at once white and yet when he moved even the slightest bit, color seemed to ripple beneath the white. Hues of colors, some Taemin had names for, other’s he was sure only existed here in the Underworld. His hair was deep black in appearance, but Taemin had seen the deepest blues and purples hidden there as well. Like his skin it seemed to ripple and move on it’s own, like a current that was directly linked to his mood. 

 

    Kali was still facing away from Taemin, so he couldn’t see the deep blackness of his eyes but he knew that Kali wasn’t angry, any more than he was annoyed. The aura surrounding the demon was one of nothing more dangerous than boredom. 

 

    “I want to go home.” Taemin spoke again, finally moving to stand up from where he had been sitting on the bed. He picked up his discarded shirt from where it lay crumpled on the edge of the bed and he pulled it over his head, Kali must have turned around in the time it took him to pull the garment down because he was suddenly pinned with void like black eyes that pulled the very breath from his lungs in a startled gasp. 

 

    “That, again?” Kali sighed and crossed his arms over his chest, the strange movement of color beneath his skin only seemed to accent his already well defined muscles. His face seemed almost soft, feminine, if not for the defined jaw that was clearly male. Though Taemin had long since learned that gender had no meaning in the Underworld. Kali had been male, he had been female, he had been both, and he had been neither during the countless years of his existence. A fact that Taemin still struggled to understand with the limited capacity of his human mind.

 

    “If you can tell me where home is, I’ll gladly take you.” Kali whispered, but he didn’t need to raise his voice to be heard perfectly. His voice carried like a soft breeze but penetrated deep into Taemin’s mind as if it the words had been written there. There was a slight curl to his lips, amusement. They had this conversation many times and it always ended the same way.

 

    “Why can’t you just take me Kali? I know you know...” Taemin pleaded, becoming desperate just like always. He wanted to go home, he wanted to leave this haunting place. The smell of sulfur was so ingrained in him now he couldn’t breathe without the stench of it. The unending darkness of the Palace of Hades was making him go mad. The fire light that lit the hallways made the shadows constantly dance and move. Everything here seemed to be in constant motion, even Kali. Taemin was the only thing that ever seemed to stand completely still there was no color moving under his too pale skin. His deep brown hair fell into his eyes but unless he brushed it away it stayed there. He had stared into his own reflection enough to know that his deep chocolate eyes never changed color, they never lost their oval shape that he inherited from his Korean parents. He never changed, and he missed the stationary world he only visited in his dreams.

 

    Kali’s deep chuckle tore Taemin from his thoughts and glanced up to see the Reaper walked closer, lifting one pale hand he gently brushed Taemin’s bangs out of his face, their skin brushing for only a fraction of a second but it was enough to send that burning heat straight through Taemin’s body. Kali looked like he would be as cold as ice, but every touch always burned, sometimes so badly it left blisters but it never hurt. No matter how hot it became, even when Taemin thought he was being burned alive there was no pain. “Because you belong to me now Taemin. Forget who you were, forget that family I see in your mind while you sleep. They aren’t real, those memories are just fantasies. Persephone erased every memory you have of your old life, stop chasing the shadows of memories you lost.” Even though it was meant to be a gentle plea, Taemin heard the command beneath. Kali didn’t want to go through this conversation again, and Taemin knew that, but his heart ached for people’s whose faces he couldn’t even picture anymore. If he truly couldn’t remember them ,why did he miss them so much? Perhaps it was just the idea of them that he missed so much.

 

    Slowly Kali’s fingers trailed down his temple, his fingers had been busy toying with Taemin’s bangs while he was apparently too lost in thought to notice, but it was impossible not to notice the tingle trail of heat Kali’s fingers left behind as they continued their path downwards until a soft palm cupped his cheek. It was gentle warmth now, seeping slowly into Taemin’s veins and spreading throughout his body, relaxing him even as Kali’s deep black eyes lulled him into a near trance like state. He felt like a snake, falling prey to the tune of Kali’s flute. 

 

    “I am all you will ever need, Taemin.” Kali whispered, his voice felt like a physical caress against Taemin’s lips and he felt them parting without his permission. His body growing pliant in his master’s too capable hands. His mind already so saturated in delicious heat he couldn’t have struggled even if he had wanted to. 

 

    Kali met no resistance as he pressed his deep red lips against Taemin’s, the soft whimper that escaped Taemin the moment their lips pressed together was swallowed by the vastness of Kali’s hunger. Taemin felt like he was being eaten alive, and in the space of a single heartbeat it was over. As Kali stepped back Taemin felt the air rush back into his lungs so fast he stumbled backwards as the room spun for a few precarious seconds.

 

    “Tell me something Taemin.” Kali said, having paused as he was leaving the room. He turned slightly so he could look back at his dear human pet. Taemin still looked slightly winded and he had one hand on the bedpost to steady himself as he caught his breath. However, when Kali spoke he raised his deep chocolate eyes in silent question. “Where is home?”

 

    Taemin hesitated for only a fraction of a second before he spoke, “Here. With you Master Kali.” He said, his voice soft but firm in it’s conviction. 

 

    That was all Kali needed to hear, he nodded once and a soft chuckle escaped him, “Good boy.” He purred, his lips curling into a pleased smile as he finally left the room, the door swinging shut behind him of it’s own accord. Leaving Taemin alone with only this thoughts, and that lingering ache that even Kali’s command couldn’t erase.