I've Got You

I'll Just Stay For Tonight

    I stayed about thirty feet behind Hakyeon's leather jacket, catching traces of his smoke floating back to me. He finally ducked inside a bar and I followed after a few seconds, taking a table near the back and pulling the hood of my jacket up. 
    Hakyeon took a seat by the bar and ordered a drink, sipping it slowly while watching the sports game on the tv above him. I ordered a plate of garlic fries, not having eaten since the breakfast Hakyeon made, and munched them slowly. 
    Hakyeon seemed relaxed, his arm draped over the top of the bar stool next to him, but I could see the tense muscles of his neck. He was still upset, and I sighed when he ordered another drink. 
    Two hours later, I was yawning uncontrollably and Hakyeon looked a little glazed over himself. He stood shakily, but I attributed his slight waver to tiredness rather than intoxication, seeing how he only had the two drinks. 
    I ducked my head when he trudged sleepily past, his eyeliner smudged and a frown on his face. The door swung shut and I waited five minutes before following him outside into the freezing night air. I started walking towards his house, my heart leaping into my throat when a hand darted out from the shadows and yanked me to the side. 
    "Are you following me?" Hakyeon hissed, glaring at me as he slammed me up against the alleyway wall. My head hit the brick and I winced, the rough edges of the wall pressing into my back. 
    "No! I wanted garlic fries!" I said defensively, watching Hakyeon wrinkle his nose and release his grip. 
    "You smell like it." Hakyeon grumbled. I shook him off, shoving him back a step to give myself room to breathe. 
    "You sure are self-centered, thinking I was following you." I snapped, crossing my arms. Hakyeon's face softened and I hoped for a second he was going to finally stop holding a grudge. 
    "Oh yes, silly me. After you followed me all over town earlier." Hakyeon snapped, mocking me. His mouth was a hard edge and I frowned, turning away. 
    "I'm leaving." I snapped. 
    "Not soon enough." Hakyeon traded back easily, and I walked away. 
    If this was any other guy, I would have forgotten about him the minute he left my apartment the first time. I wasn't ready to go to all this trouble for someone else. 
    But somehow, Hakyeon captured my heart the first night. He just grabbed it and he wouldn't give it back, no matter what I did. 
    Which scared the crap out of me. Why does he have the right to control me so easily? I was out at one in the morning in the worst part of town, just to make sure he didn't get hurt. We weren't even on good terms, and I still couldn't get him out of my mind. Every time he came close to showing forgiveness I jumped at it like a lovesick puppy, and I hated myself and him for it. 
    I'm done with you, Hakyeon.
    I resolved myself, leaning against the entrance to a club to catch my breath. My legs were cold from the gaps in my jeans, and I shivered slightly. 
    I slouched up from the wall, my hands in my pockets, and cast one last look in the direction of Hakyeon's house. There were no streetlights, the only light coming from club signs, and I sighed before turning towards my own section of town. 
    I started walking, only to freeze ten steps later when a raw yell echoed through the alleyways. 
    "Leo!" 
    My eyes widened, my mind flipping from thought to thought in a matter of seconds. It was Hakyeon's voice, and he sounded absolutely panicked. He used my nickname, which meant he was either too upset to remember he was mad, or he wanted me to come on purpose. 
    "Leo!" 
    When Hakyeon screamed again, the note of despair in his voice tore a hole in my heart. I started running, flying past the neon signs and twisting down the labyrinthine alleys in the dark. 
    "Le—"
    "Shut up!" The second voice was harsh and close, and I wheeled around. There was a pitch black dead-end ahead of me, and I could hear people moving in the shadows. 
    "Hakyeon?" I asked, slouching forward and squinting to try to see. 
    "He's mine for tonight, move on." the same low voice suggested, and I fairly thrummed with rage. 
    "He's not yours." I growled, stalking forward with my hands balled into fists. 
    Hakyeon was pinned against the brick wall, a man's forearm pressed harshly into his throat. His eyes were closed, bruises already forming on his battered cheeks. 
    "Hey, let it go, man. There are plenty of other strippers around; find one of them." the man suggested, acting hideously nonchalant for having Hakyeon pinned by the neck. 
    "He's a dancer!" I roared, sending my arm back-handing the man's face. He staggered back, releasing Hakyeon, who crumpled into a ball on the ground. 
    The man wiped his bleeding lower lip on his wrist, scowling at me and raising his hands defensively. I bounced once on the balls of my feet and turned, chambering my leg against my body for the briefest of seconds before putting all my strength into a round kick.
    It struck the man's side with enough force to vibrate up my leg and he flew back, landing flat on the ground. I rushed forward before he could get up, raising my leg high above my head before sweeping it down on his forehead. He shuddered back into the ground and I stepped back, casting an anxious look back at Hakyeon. 
    The man jumped to his feet and my eyes widened fractionally, not expecting him to get up so fast. He crouched slightly, bringing his head within range, and raised two hands. I was ready for him when he punched towards my face, my body following a pattern easily. 
    My left hand shot forward and caught his wrist, raising it up and out of the way. My right hand punched him in the gut, and I pulled my arm back, bending it so my right elbow slammed into his solar plexus immediately after. I grabbed him around the back of his neck, yanking his face down and bringing my knee up to bust his nose. He slammed back from the force of it, and I slid my right foot behind his, using a hammer fist to strike his nose again and force him onto the ground. 
    His head hit with an audible smack and he wheezed for air, his eyes rolling shut. I stood over him for several more seconds, waiting to see if he would get up again, but he didn't move. 
    "Hakyeon?" I called hesitantly, eyeing him carefully. 
    Hakyeon didn't move, curled up with his arms over his knees and his back against the wall. I could see his shoulders shaking with sobs, and I walked closer. I slowly rubbed one palm between his shoulder blades, stopping when he flinched away. He pressed into my hand and I dropped to my knees, staying still when Hakyeon curled into my side. 
    "You're okay, I've got you." I patted his back awkwardly, unsure how to comfort him. Hakyeon shifted, sitting in the v of my legs with his side leaned against my chest. 
    His fingers were curled tightly in my coat lapel, clinging to me, and I could feel his tears hot and salty on my neck. I rocked him slowly like I had rocked Ravi when he was little and had skinned his knee, and I could feel Hakyeon's sobs slowly subsiding. 
    "You're okay, Hakyeon. No one will hurt you." I whispered, my arms tightening around him. 
    We sat in silence for many minutes, the only sounds coming from Hakyeon's wet hiccups as he tried to stop crying. He finally silenced himself, and I rested my chin on his head. His head fit perfectly into the curve of my throat and I sighed, waiting for him to speak. 
    "I could have handled it." Hakyeon's watery voice cracked and I rocked him slowly. I sighed again, feeling him shiver in the cold air. 
    "I know." I said, letting him have his pride. We both knew he couldn't have, but I wasn't going to strip him of his protective shell. 
    "I'm sorry." Hakyeon whispered, sounding so incredibly vulnerable my heart broke for him. His words weren't an apology, they were a cry for me to say it was okay, that I cared about him, that I was here because I wanted to protect him and not because I felt an obligation. 
    "Don't apologize." I reassured softly. "I'm glad you called for me."
    "Me, too." Hakyeon mumbled almost inaudibly, his face buried in the crook of my neck. He smelled of smoke and blood, and I could feel the slick wetness on the back of his neck.
    "Please let me take you back to my apartment. I promise I won't baby you anymore, I'll try to be easier to live with." I promised. 
    "Okay." Hakyeon whispered into my neck, and I stood carefully, gathering him up in my arms. He was supple against me, his body melting into mine, warm and cherished. 
    I walked quickly towards my apartment, trying to get him home so he would stop shaking. I stopped briefly to shrug off my padded coat and wrap it around him, cradling him once more and stepping through the icy streets. 
    I reached my building with a rush of relief, unlocking my door and swinging it open with my toe. I closed it with my foot, toeing off my shoes and looking down at Hakyeon's sleeping face. There was a bloody scrape on his forehead and another on the back of his neck, which smeared red on my bare arm.  
    I settled him down on the couch, spreading a towel beneath his head and getting a bowl of warm water from the kitchen. He stirred slightly when I used a soft cloth to sponge away the blood from his forehead, his eyes flickering open. Tracks of black eyeliner dripped down his cheeks from his tears, trickling over his bruises to leak down his neck. I carefully washed away the makeup, trying not hurt the swollen, baby soft skin around his eyes. 
    "Thanks, Leo." Hakyeon murmured quietly, and I knew his gratitude was genuine. I nodded, retrieving my first-aid kit and kneeling by the couch. 
    I used butterfly bandages to close the scrapes on his forehead and neck, dabbing a cooling cream on the bruises on his face to relieve the pain. There were two ugly bruises in the shape of hands on his throat and I rubbed them softly with more cream, my mouth setting in anger. 
    "I'm going to find him and kill him." I vowed in an undertone, hating the marks of violence on Hakyeon's body. He was made for dancing, not fighting. 
    "Leo, it's okay." Hakyeon protested quietly, watching as I methodically packed up the kit, then slid it under the couch, keeping it available for easy access. I had a feeling I would need it more now that Hakyeon was here. 
    "No, it's not!" I snapped, using a tissue to wipe the excess cream off my fingers. Hakyeon sighed, reaching out to rest one smooth palm on my cheek. 
    "Easy there, lion." Hakyeon said, and his eyes were tender and full. I quieted, my mouth falling closed, and Hakyeon drew me closer with his gentle grip on my face. 
    I paused a centimeter away from his mouth, his breath puffing out onto my nose. He smelled of smoke, leather, and antibiotic cream, and I inhaled the sharp scent of the medicine. My eyes fell closed and I leaned forward, catching his lips in a gentle liplock. 
    If I thought dancing with him was good, this was better. This was something more than lust, this was tenderness and care, soft lips melting together. My hands settled gently on his jaw and I cupped his chin, my heart evanescing to pieces with the pure love flowing through me. Hakyeon was warmth and peace and I felt like I could kiss him forever, as slow and luxurious as holding a piece of chocolate on your tongue and feeling it melt. 
    Hakyeon pulled back after a minute or two, looking like he was in utter bliss. His smile was a soft curve of his mouth, his eyes equally curved and shining. I blinked at him slowly, a smile spreading over my own mouth. 
    "Ready to sleep?" I asked quietly, almost afraid to break the silence. I was half-certain this was a dream, and the moment I spoke I would wake up alone with Hakyeon miles away. 
    "I'm so tired." Hakyeon admitted with a small laugh, reaching his hands up to me with a hopeful, playful, joyful smile. 
    I grinned because his smile was contagious and his happiness was contagious, and I bent down and cradled him because I liked him. I walked to my bedroom, making sure he knew where the pajama drawer was, and then went to go check on Ravi. 
    I opened the door to his bedroom slowly, keeping it from creaking in the dark. Moonlight filtered down from the window above his bed, shining silver light on his desk and his sleeping form. I could see Hyuk was also asleep next to him, tangled up in Ravi's arms. 
    Ravi was snoring loudly and Hyuk was talking in his sleep, babbling along in response to my brother's grizzly bear breathing. My heart warmed at the sight of them and their young love, and I couldn't help the smile. 
    It was partly my fault Hyuk was here in the first place, considering I left them both alone with no supervision, but I trusted the boys. They were good kids, and I highly doubted they would get into trouble. 
    I closed the door quietly, returning to my bedroom to change clothes. Hakyeon was already curled up under the covers, watching me quietly.
    "Thanks for making me and Ravi breakfast." I said while I tugged on a faded v-neck. Hakyeon nodded, the lamp next to the bed throwing golden light over his features. 
    "I'll do it again in the morning." Hakyeon said. I nodded, tossing back one end of the covers and burrowing down. 
    "If it's not too much trouble, make enough for four people. Ravi's best friend is sleeping over." I said, relaxing onto my pillow. 
    "No problem. What's his friend's name?" Hakyeon asked, turning off the light. I settled down into the bed, moonlight filtering through my own window. 
    "Hyuk." I answered, turning on my side to face him.    I could hear Hakyeon rustling around and smiled when his legs twined through mine, his hands clasped together and resting on my chest. 
    "Does Ravi have a special friend? He's handsome enough." Hakyeon asked, with a tone that was strangely motherly. A wry smile twisted my mouth, and I chuckled softly. 
    "Yeah. He has a boyfriend." I said, draping one arm over Hakyeon's shoulders and pulling him closer. 
    "And what's his boyfriend's name?" Hakyeon asked, the first sounds of sleep blurring his voice. 
    "Hyuk." I said simply. 
    "You let his boyfriend sleep over?!" Hakyeon asked in a 'scandalized-conservative-mother' voice. 
    "They're fine. They're actually sleeping, not fooling around." I chuckled, closing my eyes. 
    "Alright..." Hakyeon trailed off uncertainly. 
    "Now hush. I have work in six hours, and I want to get at least a little sleep." I said, smiling when Hakyeon obediently buried his face in my collarbones and huffed. 
    "Night, Leo." Hakyeon mumbled. 
    "Night, Hakyeon." 

    My alarm blared obnoxiously loudly at 7:00, and I slammed my hand down on the button on the top. I rolled over sleepily, wrapping my arms back around Hakyeon and pulling him close for another minute. I savored his warmth and softness, his hair tickling my nose softly, and felt him hit my chest groggily. 
    "Go. You'll be late." Hakyeon croaked, and I sighed, standing up. I knew he was right while I showered quickly, dressing in jeans and a white sweater. I stepped out into the hallway to wake Ravi and Hyuk for school, making their lunches at the countertop. 
    Hakyeon stumbled into the kitchen in the middle of the lunch-making process, making himself useful by starting the coffee maker and making pancakes. I sent Hyuk and Ravi out the door with their backpacks and paper bag lunches, kissing them both on the cheek and telling them to hurry so they wouldn't be late. 
    "You're like their father." Hakyeon laughed briefly, handing me a pancake rolled up in a napkin so I could carry it. I laughed and grabbed my own bag and lunch, picking up my white coat and folding it carefully over my arm. 
    "What does that make you? Mother?" I teased, lacing up my converse and standing by the door. 
    "Shut up. What do you do for work anyway?" Hakyeon pouted, following me to the door. 
    "I'm a pharmacist at the grocery store you were at yesterday. People can come in and get their medications and their regular groceries at the same time." I said, opening the door. 
    "You're not old enough to be a doctor." Hakyeon protested, hovering by me and leaning on my chest. 
    "Accelerated programs and a large brain. And apparently the belief that sleep is for the weak." I laughed, recalling the hellish years of school and raising Ravi. 
    "Where are your parents anyway?" Hakyeon asked. I sobered, shrugging slightly and stepping back. 
    "Car crash." I said in explanation, and Hakyeon's face softened. 
    "I'm sorry, Leo." Hakyeon murmured. I shook my head dismissively. 
    "It was a long time ago. Goodbye!" I called, knowing I would be late for real if I didn't go now.    
    "Bye!" Hakyeon called, giving me a quick peck on the cheek and closing the door. 
    I took the steps two at a time, a foolish smile spreading over my lips. I never thought I would have someone to share casual kisses with, the ones that weren't monumental or extraordinary, but wonderful in their ordinariness. 
    I breezed into the store, settling in behind the counter and sliding into my white coat. I unlocked the sliding gates that covered the medications at night and folded them back, flipping around the little sign that said the pharmacy was open. 
    Soon enough, plenty of customers came through needing everything from medications to directions to the aisle that had eggs. I helped them all, sitting in a chair behind the counter with my paperback when I wasn't serving anyone. It was almost time for lunch when the bell on the counter dinged, and I looked up. 
    "Hakyeon?" I smiled, looking at him stopped with his cart in front of me. He grinned, leaping nimbly on top of the countertop, dangling his legs over the edge next to me. 
    "I missed you." Hakyeon smiled, chuckling softly when I moved to stand between his knees, kissing him slowly. His hands braced themselves on my chest and I leaned into him. 
    When we broke apart, Hakyeon leaned behind him and held up two packages of meat. 
    "Do you want ribs or pork roast for dinner?" Hakyeon asked. I chuckled, my hands resting affectionately on top of his hips, and shrugged. 
    "How about ribs?" I suggested. Hakyeon nodded, setting the packages down and laughing when I wrapped my arms around his waist, picking him up and spinning him around gently. 
    "Hey, put me down!" Hakyeon giggled, his face buried just under my ear, his fist pounding weakly on my chest. 
    I obeyed, setting him down and keeping my arms around his waist. 
    "Let me go or I'll never get dinner ready." Hakyeon teased, and I released him reluctantly. 
    "Playing that card, are we?" I teased back, and Hakyeon nodded with his crazy grin. "You're not working tonight?"
    "I told Ken I would be taking time off, so you're stuck with me." Hakyeon smiled. 
    "I wouldn't want to have it any other way." I said, an affectionate smile tracing my lips. Hakyeon grinned shyly, vaulting back over the countertop to wave goodbye and vanish into the aisles. 

A/N:
Lol, I knew I wouldn't have time to write this today (I'm helping with a church fundraiser which is basically slave labor) so I wrote this yesterday (Friday)
Just to be clear, I'm messing with their heights a little, I realize that Hakyeon isn't drastically shorter than Leo, but it fits the story better 
And awww aren't they cute? Lol
I hope you guys enjoy the story, and continue to subscribe, upvote, and leave comments <3333333
The comments are my favorite lol 
I love you guys!
Thank you!
—Sujin