Start

21st

Gleaming eyes. Faces full of wonder. Others uninterested. I’m sent again to the beautiful gardens of youth which I call hell.

“Class, this is Chris Scarlet, a transferee from...”

I cut her out.

“Hi. I’m Chris Scarlet. Nice to meet you all.”

I’m not expecting any response. This is high school not elementary. I went straight for my seat, near the window where I see the great oak tree of the school. They say it looks the best in summer and spring.

“Hey.”

I looked to where voice came from and saw Clarissa Meadows. She’s called the “everyone’s sweetheart” because she’s very friendly and always giggling but I know something’s in her that I can’t explain.

“Hi.” I replied.

“I’m Clarissa Meadows, the class representative so you can always approach me for questions or maybe some company when you’re alone”, then stared at me straight onto my eyes with her kept-on-blinking eyes. Gross.

“Um.. Sure.”

I came to school wearing my regular clothes; shirt, pants, rubber shoes and a ring that I will never ever slip from my finger. It was a gift from a friend but I guess I’m the only one who considers it as a gift. He was a childhood friend and I always played basketball with him. The ring was supposed to be for our friend whom he likes but he was rejected so he just gave it to me. 

 

“Well, it does have a skull. It won’t look to girlish even if I’ll give it to you”, then he tossed it to me.

He was an important friend that’s why I accepted it. I was always teased before for being always with him. They said that we look like a couple but we always respond that we’re brothers. But those kind of couple would always appear in most of the girls’ dreams. 

 

Everyone’s going out of the room. It seems like its lunch time.

“Chris!”, a very tall guy called me.

“Chris! Lunch?”

“Ah. Nah~ I’ll stay here.”

“Okay.”

 

I looked away and watched the other students play in the ground. Some were running around, some playing ball games and others just chatting. 

I was about to sleep for awhile when someone called my name again. I mean like really, it seems like everyone would call my name for the whole day.

“Chris! We’re about to play basketball. Wanna join us?”

 

Come to think about it. Its already years away since I last played basketball.

“Sure. Why not?”, I replied.

 

I went behind them when someone puts his arms in my shoulder.

 

“Bro, you good at basketball?”, and he keeps on looking at me from head to toe.

“Just because you’re tall”, I murmured.

“What was that?”, he asked.

“Oh. I said that I just know how to play but not that really good.”

“Then maybe I can give you some lessons”, then he removed his arms in my shoulder and did the same thing to the man in front of us.

 

We’re already inside the gymnasium where the basketball court is located. There are some other students around, just goofing around. 

“Hey, transferee.”

“Ah. What?”

“Team up with me and Jaehyun and Yuta will be our opponents.”

“Okay.”

 

Yuta, the guy who puts his arms to other’ s shoulders, stood in front of me.

 

“Hey. How tall are you, ha? Why are you so little?”, he said with a smirk.

“Don’t call me ‘hey’, I’m Chris and I’m not tall because my parents are not tall.”

“Hahaha! Oh, poor Chris. Maybe you’ve got to show me the moves.”

 

“Yuta! Stop it”, my teammate scolded Yuta.

“Sorry, bro. I just want to disturb him”, then looked at me. 

I just rolled my eyes.

 

Then suddenly the tall guy called me.

“Chris!”

 

The ball shoot onto my hands.

“Nice catch. Now go!”

My feet run with his command. The only person who could actually command me to do that was my childhood friend. I extended my hand and shot the ball.

 

“Yes!”, he shouted.

He approached me.

“Fist bump”, he said while showing his closed hand.

 

I stared into space. I just stood there and I don’t know how to respond.

He grabbed my hand and forced a fist bump.

 

“From now on, we’ll do that. Okay?”

“Okay.”

 

We kept on shooting the ball until we were tired and the score was 21- 18. 

I won.

 

Yuta, again, with his habit of putting his arm on other’ s shoulders, did it to me.

 

“You’re actually good. Little bro”, and he messed my hair.

“Don’t call me ‘little’.”

“Yeah. Fine, little.”

 

“Guys, we should go now. Still have class in the next period”, my teammate said.