Beneath his Tattered Heart

Beneath his Tattered Heart

 

       Running towards the horizon I smiled, it was not every day that I was able to leave my so called “prison” and run free like the wind. Running with all my might my feet finally touched the cold wet sand, twirling with the wind I screamed till my voice could no longer go on. Just as I was about to walk deeper into the ocean a pair of arms wrapped themselves around my waist, turning around I wrapped my arms around Junhoe’s neck.

 

       “Hey.” His sweet voice whispered, against my cold neck.

 

       Snuggling deeper into his embrace I whispered back, “Hi.”

 

       Placing a kiss on his neck I grabbed his hand, and started to drag him towards the cliff. Feeling the heat start to leave his skin I looked back at him, and flashed him a worried look. You okay? My eyes read, shaking his head Junhoe gave me the okay. Arriving at the cliff I walked towards the edge, here five years ago was where I decided that I had no reason to live.

 

       Wrapping his arms around my neck Junhoe asked, “This was where we first met each other, wasn’t it?”

 

       Nodding my head I replied back, “Of course, this was where our story began.”

 

       Placing a kiss on my shoulder, Junhoe looked off into the sea. “Just imagine if I didn’t stop you in time, we wouldn’t be where we are today.” He said.

 

       Humming I nodded my head, five years ago if Junhoe hadn’t pulled me away in time I would have been long gone by now. Staring off in a different direction, the memories came flooding in.

 

       The wind was silent, and the waves crashed softly against the sand. There wasn’t a person insight except for a young girl. Screaming at the top her lungs it seemed as if a banshee had taken over.

 

       Throwing her journal into the sea she cried, “Why did I have to be put into my family? Why did I have to be born? Why can’t I just die?!”

 

       Falling to her knees the young girl sobbed to her heart’s content. Looking around she noticed that she was the only one on the beach. Only a few feet away laid a cliff looking off into the sunset, noticing the cliff the young girl walked over to it.

 

       Peering down from the edge, the waves crashed harshly against the cliff. Below her laid hundreds of rocks that could tear her apart within seconds, in her breath she thought, “This was it. This was where I would die, it would be fast and painless.” Just as she was about to jump from the cliff a pair of arms stopped her from jumping.

 

       Turning around a young boy around her age stared right back at her, “Don’t do it.” The boy said.

 

       Scoffing at his comment the young girl replied back, “Why shouldn’t I do it? There’s no reason as to why I should continue to live my life.”

 

       Now scoffing at her comment the boy replied back, “There’s always a reason to live. Whether it is to make a difference in someone else’s life or to live it to the fullest. There is always a reason to live.”

 

       Rolling her eyes the young girl replied, “Leave me alone.”
 

       “No, not until you convince yourself that you won’t end your life.” The boy said.

 

       Refusing to listen to the boy the young girl looked off into the distance, death was so close, she could just feel it on the tips of her fingers. Taking in a deep breath the young girl looked back at the young boy, wearing a tattered t-shirt and ripped jeans the boy seemed to have been in a fight. Taking off her sweatshirt the girl handed it to the boy, “You’ll need it.” She said.

 

       Smiling the boy said, “Thanks.”

 

       “Not a problem.” She replied.

 

       Both walking down the cliff, the boy and girl walked right next to each other, “So what is  your name?” The boy asked.

 

       “Minah, and you?” The girl replied.

 

       “Junhoe.” The boy said.

 

       Both touching the sand, the two sat near a clearing of rocks. Skipping a stone across the ocean Junhoe looked at Minah, “Stop staring.” Minah said.

 

       “Sorry, I was just admiring a pretty girl.” Junhoe replied.

 

       Looking away Minah smiled, looking at Junhoe she asked, “Can you teach me how to skip a rock?”

 

       Nodding his head he grabbed a rock, and easily skipped it across the oncoming waves. Admiring Junhoe’s work, Minah excitedly grabbed his hand. “Teach me, teach me!” She said.

 

       Handing Minah a rock, Junhoe carefully showed Minah how to skip the rock across the water. Trying it out Minah sulked, it was a lot harder then it seemed. Rolling his eyes Junhoe walked behind Minah, grabbed her hand and helped her skip the rock across the waves. “Omo I did it, I DID IT!” She said.

 

       Spinning around she hugged Junhoe, “Thanks!” She said.

 

       Snuggling deeper into her embrace Junhoe replied, “No problem.”

 

       Sighing in comply I looked at the sky, soon I would have to leave this fantasy and return to my reality. My reality was not always so boring, yet I do not think it would ever change. Junhoe, as much as I love him, we could never be together. For he is a mere servant and I am an heiress, as our two worlds do not match, my family would disagree.

 

       Nudging my shoulder with his sharp chin Junhoe asked, “Thinking about the future again?”

 

        “Junhoe, do you ever think about us? Like in the future?” I asked.

 

        Chuckling Junhoe replied, “Of course, you are the only thing I see in my future.”

 

       Breaking out of his embrace I looked at him square in the face, “Junhoe you know that our fantasy could never be a reality.”

 

       “I do not care, Minah! You are the only thing keeping me alive and together. Without you I have no sense in life. I do not care if your family does not approve of me, I want you, and I need you, Minah.”

 

       Wiping the tears that escaped my eyes I looked away, “Why did life have to be such a heartbreak?” I thought.

 

       Closing my eyes I took a deep breath, this would have to end, and when it does, all hell will be released, and I will not be there to stop it.