Prologue

Meeting Mr. Loan Shark

Tiffany has always heard of people falling in love. She has only seen it a couple times. For instance, her grandparents. Her grandmother passed away when she was at the very young age of four, leaving her grandfather here on this planet with them. She doesn't remember but seeing him now, she can still see how in love he still is. Even mentioning her gets him teary eyed. And that was 16 years ago. Then, there's her parents. Still happily married. And even though her dad is crazy and isn't much of a hang-out-with-the-family type of guy, Tiffany still see him every morning give her mom a sweet little peck on the lips before he goes off to work. Yeah, she has seen love work it's magic in a few different couples - and not in the grossy way. 

So, she's not exactly anti-love. She believes in it. She feels that it's out there. She has seen it. But, it made her wonder why she had never experienced it. And, no, she doesn't mean the whole "Oh, you know, there was this boy from back in middle school." No, there was never any boy. No boys. Ever. Sure, she had crushes but she had never been on a date. She hadn't even had her first kiss!

Yeah, it sounds pathetic but she'd like to think it was because she intimidated guys. This is where she strike an I'm-superior-than-you-pose. But, that's really what Mrs. Jung said (a lovely litte old lady that lives on the corner of her street).

One time she went to a Metaphysical Fair with her friend. She had Tiffany get her palm read. Now, Tiffany's a no real believer in plam reading, tarot cards, and all that new age stuff but, well, it's entertaining for her to listen to what they have to say about the little lines on Tiffany's palm. So, she sat there across from this lady, dressed in purple, with large glasses, and long fingernails. She pointed to each of the little lines and told Tiffany about her career life, her life line, and a few more.But the most important one? Her love line?

Yeah, the old lady pointed at that and said, "Well, it looks like you're going to find your true soul mate." She squinted down at Tiffany's palm some more and started at it. "You've never had a boyfriend, have you?"

She blinked, almost sure that her friend was probably behind her telling the old lady that. She risked a glance over her shoulder and saw her friend over by some shiny trinkets. She then turned back to the palm reader and cleared . "Um, no, I haven't."

"Well!" She grinned. "You don't need to worry about that." She motioned Tiffany closer so she bent down and she pointed to the line running from the side of her palm and up to her forefinger. "You see this line here? It's your love line. There are no forks and it's chained, whcih means that you're sticking with one guy. There won't be any doubt in who you fall for." 

Tiffany squinted at the line, amazed at how much it revealed. She didn't really understand how she got all that from a line but whatever. She wasn't a pro palm reader so she suppose she knew what she was talking about. After the old lady finished telling her about her future, she charcged her twenty won and called up the next person.

She left, feeling like she should protect her hand and never let anything happen to it, because, she might need it to remember what her future is going to be. After that, she could'nt help it. She wanted to know if what the lady said was true. So when another Festival was in town, Tiffany and her few friends hunted down some palm readers.

Again, the same thing happened. The lady and Tiffany's palm and told her the same exact thing! Tiffany even sat there squinting at her, wondering if she was the same lady. But, well, unless the first lady had put on a good 80 pounds in three months there was no way it was her. 

Now, she know this is ridiculous but she started to actually believe these ladies. She even went to another one. This was more embarrasing because she actually had to go into one of those little shops that they have out in the creepy parts down town - and she said the same thing! But, you know, since she doesn't really believe in that stuff, she kind of ignored it, deciding that if love was going to happen for her, it would come knocking on her door. Except, she didn't expect it to be so literally.