To Cheat Death

To Cheat Death

A/n: Random cheesy established Kaisoo fic. Read foreword for details. Enjoy.

"What?" Kyungsoo asked, lifting his eyes away from the book he was reading and up to the tanned man sitting across him. Jongin smirked and Kyungsoo's heart skipped a beat. 

"Nothing." Jongin said. "Just staring at the most beautiful person on earth." Kyungsoo blushed but gave a shy smile. This time, it was Jongin's turn for his heart to flutter. The heart-shaped lips and sparkling doe eyes of the other never failed to get his heart racing. It was something he would never get use to, and would never get tired of.

"Alright then. Continue to stare." With that, Kyungsoo returned to his book. As soon as Kyungsoo had his attention back to the book, Jongin lost his smirk and pouted. Obviously his mission had failed. Jongin sighed and he lay down on the couch, making himself comfortable so he could reevaluate his plan. 

Now, about that mission of his. 

It was said his hyung never cried. No one had ever seen Kyungsoo cry, not even Jongin. According to Baekhyun, behind those warm doe eyes that Kyungsoo had was a cold metal heart. Jongin didn’t believe that. How could his hyung be hard-hearted? He knew Kyungsoo, and Kyungsoo was soft and kind and… It couldn't be true.

And that was why was Jongin was determined to change that. He was going to bust the myth about his supposedly heartless hyung, and prove everyone wrong.

Plan A: The Cheesy Style 

Jongin stuck himself close to the wall and peeked around the corner. Kyungsoo had his back facing Jongin as he prepared lunch for the two of them. Good. Everything was going as planned. Being as silent as possible, Jongin tiptoed his way to Kyungsoo and wrapped his arms around the smaller's waist before tucking his chin into his lover's neck. 

"What are you doing, Jongin?" Kyungsoo asked in an amused tone. Instead of answering, Jongin pressed little kisses on the other's neck. Kyungsoo laughed and tried to push Jongin away, to no avail. Jongin just continued to move his lips against his neck, hoping to melt the older with his cheesiness.

It wasn’t working. "Yah!" Kyungsoo called, and it was clear he was starting to get a little annoyed. "Kim Jongin." Jongin huffed but refused to give in, moving up and planting kisses on Kyungsoo's jaw.

"Stop it." Jongin thought it was working. That Kyungsoo was getting flustered and he would be irritated and shed just one tear. Things seemed to be going well, until he received an elbow to his stomach. He gasped as the wind was knocked out of him, shooting a pained look at Kyungsoo. The older wore a triumphant smile on his face, staring down less-than-innocently at him.

"Told you so," Kyungsoo said coolly. "I'm trying to cook here, Kim Jongin." Kyungsoo carried on, scolding Jongin about the dangers of trying to hug him while he was cooking and blah blah blah. To be honest, Jongin just droned him out, sulking in his failure and pain. He clutched at his sore stomach and winced. Why did Kyungsoo have to hit so hard? Jongin was sure that his strength could be compared to Zitao's strength, which didn’t even make sense because Kyungsoo was tiny and cute and Zitao was a wushu master. Man, he knew how to hurt someone. Jongin rubbed his stomach and eyed his hyung. Kyungsoo was still grumbling on. Jongin sighed. Alright, so maybe he hadn’t succeeded this time, but he wasn't going to let himself be defeated that easily. Already, a new idea was forming in his mind. A smile found its way to Jongin's lips and he leaned forward, planting a kiss on the other's lips. 

Kyungsoo stopped immediately, words cut off and eyes widening for a moment, clearly shocked. But who could resist Jongin? With a soft sigh, Kyungsoo kissed back. 

They didn't pull apart for quite some time and when they did, Jongin pressed his forehead to Kyungsoo's, teasing a smile out of him. 

"I love you, hyung," Jongin murmured. He couldn't resist smiling. This was it – his plan was going work now for sure. 

"I love you too, Jongin." Jongin stared hard into Kyungsoo's eyes and waited. But nothing happened. How could he not even get a little teary-eyed at how cute Jongin was being? 

"Are you going to cry, hyung?" Jongin asked him. Kyungsoo frowned and shook his head in confusion. "Really? Are you sure?"

Having enough of his weird questions, Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and pushed Jongin away. "Yes, I'm sure, Jongin. Why do you think I would cry?” He still looked confused, but annoyed now more than anything. “Now, get out before I hit you again." Kyungsoo shot Jongin a glare and Jongin visibly flinched. It was the very same look that Kyungsoo had once given Baekhyun before he proceeded to torture the kkaebsong out of him and trust Jongin, he never wanted that to happen to him. With a quick salute, Jongin dashed out of the kitchen, almost tripping over his own feet.

He didn’t stop until he reached the safety of the bathroom, letting out a sigh of relief. Locking the door and sitting on the toilet with the cover down, Jongin sat and waited in safety. If he still wanted to live to an old age, he was going to need to avoid the kitchen for the next ten minutes. Meanwhile, he contemplated his situation, and his mission to make Kyungsoo cry.

Plan A had failed.

Jongin sighed as he slipped a pen and piece of paper, on which he had wrote all of his plans, out of his pocket and struck out Plan A. Jongin bit his lip, but then pumped his fist in the air in encouragement. It was alright. He still had a backup plan and maybe the first idea hadn’t been great (admittedly, he should have known better; Kyungsoo wasn’t going to cry over something that small), but this one was going to work. Muttering an encouraging 'fighting', Jongin decided that his next plan would be carried out in ten minutes – or maybe more like two hours – so that he could be sure to have Kyungsoo back in a good mood. Until then, Jongin would stay comfortable and safe on the toilet seat.

 

Plan B: Movie Style

Jongin was sure that Plan B was going to be a success. He was so sure. Well, not really, but he was hoping that if he thought he believed it would work, then it would. After a long time in the bathroom, he cautiously made his way out to the kitchen, spying the older reading a book on the couch from the island, before taking a glance at the clock. 8.36pm. It was time. He took a deep breath and put a smile. 

"Hyung!" he called as he made his entrance. Without even bothering to look up, Kyungsoo hummed back a reply. Jongin pouted. Plan B wasn't going to work unless Kyungsoo kept his eyes off that book. 

"Hyung," Jongin whined. He carefully reached out for the book, trying to take it away. Kyungsoo’s eyes followed the page as Jongin pulled it away from him, and then Kyungsoo smacked his hand away bookmarking his page and throwing the book on the coffee table. Success!

"Watch a movie with me," Jongin said, still whiny. Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow and stared at Jongin skeptically, clearly suspicious of Jongin’s sudden desire and the motives behind it. However, he didn’t say anything about it.

"...Okay?"

A smile played on Jongin's lips as he rushed into the bedroom. "I'll get the blankets! Hyung, could you make some popcorn?" 

---

The movie was reaching its , where Jack was about to die, but Jongin had a fixed gaze on Kyungsoo without the older realizing. Because this was it. Any minute now. Thinking about it, Jongin wanted to pat himself on the back for choosing Titanic. Yup, Jongin felt like a genius at the moment. Who didn’t cry watching this movie?

Tears glossed Kyungsoo’s eyes and Jongin could barely contain his excitement, because yes, Do Kyungsoo cries and I made him do it! But it seemed that he was wrong. A couple moments passed and soon, the television screen changed and black filled the screen as the credits were played, but no tears had fallen from Kyungsoo’s eyes. 

"Well, that was a long movie." Kyungsoo sighed, taking a glance at the clock. 

That was definitely not the reaction Jongin was wanting. Not deterred though, he asked, "How was it? Does it make you feel like crying?"

Kyungsoo gave another sigh, closing his eyes and folded his arms. "It would be better if you had paid attention to the movie instead of me.” Shoot. So he had noticed. “And no. I do not feel like crying."

Jongin pouted. "Isn't it sad, though, hyung? Why won't you cry?" he muttered, more to himself than the other.

"What did you say?" 

"Nothing!" Jongin replied quickly, immediately wanting to retract his words. He couldn't afford to have the older know his plans. Kyungsoo would literally kill him. 

He eyed Jongin and he sighed once more. Jongin would have to call it a night, because he was getting on Kyungsoo’s radar and he couldn’t have that.

"Come on, Jongin. Let's go to bed." Kyungsoo stood up and took Jongin's hand, disappointment filling the younger as he allowed himself to be pulled into their room. 

Plan B failed. 

Well, that left Plan C. And if even that couldn't make the older cry, Jongin would give up because honestly, he had expected Kyungsoo to already have cried by this point. He didn't think that Kyungsoo would last this long. However, Jongin had a gut feeling that Plan C was going to work. For real, this time. He thinks so. Well, he hopes so because if not, he would need to start preparing money to pay off his friends.

As if they had a death wish, the other members of EXO had made bets on whether Jongin could get the heartless Kyungsoo to cry. Jongin, obviously, had faith in himself, and so did Joonmyun and... um... okay, so only Joonmyun believed that Jongin could make Kyungsoo cry. The others had all bet twenty dollars each (except Jongdae, who’d bet fifty) against Jongin, anticipating his failure. Jongin knew that he wasn't supposed to make bets on his boyfriend but damn, the amount of reward if he won… It was so irresistible. So, screw it, Jongin had told himself; he would be fine as long as Kyungsoo didn't find out. 

He smiled at the thought of the over nearly two-hundred dollars he would get (fifty had to go to Joonmyun since he’d sided with Jongin). Maybe he could take Kyungsoo out to that fancy restaurant they had been wanting to go to. 

 

Plan C: To Cheat Death 

Jongin was hiding in a closet, waiting for a certain someone to walk past. Through the crack in the door, he spotted that someone – being Zitao – walking past, and Jongin hastily opened the door and pulled Zitao into the closet. 

"Ow!" Zitao whined loudly, wriggling out of Jongin’s rough grip and rubbing his arm. Jongin pressed his hand over Zitao's mouth.

"Shhh! You can't let Kyungsoo hear you," he chastised. Zitao rolled his eyes and pushed Jongin’s hand away. 

"We are in a maintenance closet 6 metres outside of the dorm. Honestly, do you think Kyungsoo has super hearing?" he snapped. 

"You never know," Jongin scowled. (He wouldn’t put it past Kyungsoo, but he just didn’t want Zitao to treat him like a child, gosh.) Right about now, Jongin was starting to regret asking Zitao for help. Nothing good ever came out of the Chinese man. But Jongin needed his help so badly. No one else was willing to aid him, and Zitao happened to be good at acting – at least, better than the other EXO members. Jongin sighed and rubbed at his eyes wearily. 

"Do you remember what you're supposed to do?" Jongin asked him somewhat grumpily. 

"How could I forget when I’ve got you rumbling in my ear twenty-four-seven?" Zitao grumbled. Then he added, "Remind me why I’m doing this for you again? The last time I checked I was betting against you." 

"I’m supposed to buy you the expensive- Gucci shoes you badgered me in to getting you,” Jongin told him. Stupid Zitao and his damn expensive taste. “You don’t have to do it for me, but do it for the Gucci, Tao." 

"Those shoes barely cover what I'm about to do for you. I might get killed for lying to Kyungsoo."

Jongin closed his eyes, slowly counting to three. Zitao was quickly getting on his nerves and there was no doubt that he a headache coming because of it. 

"Well, that's all you're going to get because that's what my paycheck can cover." Jongin muttered before meeting the other’s eyes severely. "Just go. And don't let Kyungsoo-hyung find out, okay?" Zitao rolled his eyes and nodded, slipping out of the closet. Jongin could hear his footsteps towards the dorm and possibly, his wallet crying. It would be worth it though, right? 

Taking out his phone, Jongin focused on his own task at hand, connecting his phone to the video camera that he had hid in the dorm's living room. The moment the screen came to life, Jongin saw Kyungsoo lying on the couch, probably watching some drama, when the doorbell rang. Jongin couldn't help but unconsciously hold his breath. Alright, it was action time. 

"Coming!" Kyungsoo called as he hopped off the couch, walking over to the door with a ruffle of his hair. "Oh hey – Tao?"

Jongin watched as Kyungsoo’s face changed into a frown, staring at the crying boy in front of him. Jongin was amazed. He had to really hand it to Zitao for being able to start crying in such a short time. It was only a few feet from the closet to the dorm, yet Zitao had make it seem like he had been crying for a while already with his red puffy eyes and endless tears.

"What's wrong, Tao? Why are you crying?" Kyungsoo opened the door wider and led Zitao into the apartment. 

"Kyung-s-soo," Zitao sobbed, looking like he could hardly stay on his feet. Bless you, Zitao. 

"What's wrong, Tao? You're scaring me."

"J-Jongin..." 

"Jongin?" Kyungsoo asked, his voice instantly filling with concern. "What about Jongin? What happened to him?" 

"H-he got into a c-car accident.” Zitao gave a dramatic sniff. “H-he didn't – he didn’t s-survive, K-Kyungsoo."

This was it. There a moment of silence, only broken by Zitao’s crying. It was so quiet that Jongin was sure Kyungsoo could hear his heart beating all the way from the dorm and that he had already figured out it was a scheme. Jongin was so on edge, he was actually shaking a bit. Was this plan actually going to work?

Jongin was starting to have second thoughts about the whole ordeal when, shockingly, Kyungsoo dropped to his knees with a loud thud. 

"Jongin – didn't survive?" He sounded like he didn’t understand – like Zitao had spoken in Chinese and he was not comprehending at all.

"Kyungs-"

"H-he's gone? What?" Jongin could see Kyungsoo's lip trembling as his first tear dropped from his eye. Jongin had succeeded! He had proved the others wrong. Kyungsoo does cry! Ha! He had won the bet. Yes, Kim Jongin was the best.

Oddly enough, he didn't feel all that triumphant. Kyungsoo continued to cry, eyes looking so childishly innocent and confused, tears just slowly dripping down his cheeks, and he was biting his lip to keep it from wobbling. Watching all of this made Jongin feel… something horrible. It was the same way he felt when he saw his mother cry. Jongin felt hollow. He felt pain.

A strangled sob brought Jongin out of his own selfishness and he redirected his attention to the live video on his phone. Kyungsoo's shoulders were shaking uncontrollably as he began to let out full-out cries, and no, this wasn’t fair, this was just cruel. Jongin had gone too far this time, and the boy was suffering.

It was more than enough. Stuffing his phone back to his pocket, Jongin escaped from his hiding place and rushed into the dorm, pushing past Zitao and dropping beside Kyungsoo, but the boy didn't even notice him. 

"Hyung," Jongin croaked softly, his throat feeling tight, stomach churning in guilt. He reached for Kyungsoo, touching his shoulder lightly. "Hey, look! It's me, it’s Jongin. Look at me, hyung." Slowly, Kyungsoo lifted his head and he stared at Jongin for a moment, tears streaming still and looking disbelieving.

"Jongin!" he shrieked. In a sobbing mess, he tackled Jongin, throwing his arms around him to pull him in a tight hug, burying his face in the younger's chest and continuing to cry. Jongin wrapped his arms around Kyungsoo and ran a hand up and down his back comfortingly. He waved his free hand in a shooing motion to make Zitao leave them alone, and after a second he heard the door shut.

"Jongin,” Kyungsoo cried. “Jongin…” 

"Hyung, I'm not dead," Jongin promised him, and he didn’t even care if Kyungsoo got mad at him anymore. He didn’t want to see him crying like this. "It was just a prank, hyung. I'm alive, it’s okay. I’m fine.”

"Jongin…" Kyungsoo continued to sob. "Don’t do that to me! Please… Please don't ever leave me. I thought…” He cut himself off, sniffling and wiping at his tears. “I was just so afraid… that I would never see you again. Jongin – I really believed – that you were gone, Jongin." 

"I know, I’m sorry. It’s okay, Kyungsoo," Jongin hushed the older, kissing his forehead. He was so stupid for doing any of this; he shouldn't have ever bet with the members. It wasn’t worth it at all. "I'm sorry, and I’m not going to leave you. I love you to the moon and back. I love you now and I will love you forever and I’m not going to leave you. I’ll never, ever do that. No matter what happens. No matter what you do or what I do, I will always love you.” Kyungsoo’s breathing continued to hitch, but he had stopped shaking​, just resting against Jongin’s shoulder. “I'm sorry, I’m sorry,” Jongin murmured. “I made a stupid bet with everyone and I’m sorry I did. I really regret it, Soo. I wish I’d never done it, and it wasn’t worth it at all. I really hate myself for making you cry. 

"I’m never gonna do this again, okay? If I ever make you cry again…” Jongin shook his head. No, he just wasn’t ever going to. He didn’t want to see Kyungsoo’s tears ever again for the rest of his life. End of story. He squeezed Kyungsoo tightly, and Kyungsoo pulled back a bit to look up at him. Jongin wiped at his tears gently. “If you ever want to cry again, I’ll be here for you. Whether it’s a stubbed toe or a zombie apocalypse. I will be here right next to you when you need anything. Heck, I’m gonna stay even if you get sick of me. You're never getting rid of me.” Finally, Kyungsoo broke into a tiny smile, choking and letting more tears slip out. Jongin chased them all away. “Do Kyungsoo, I love you so much." 

Leaning down, Jongin slowly captured the older's lips in a sweet kiss. Jongin was giving up on words; he would let Kyungsoo know how much he meant this way. This much, Jongin was good at. He just held on for a long time and pressed his lips hard against Kyungsoo’s. When they pulled apart, Kyungsoo let out a shaky breath.

"I hate you, you know?" Kyungsoo whispered, a smile playing on his lips. “I hope your bet was worth it.”

“It definitely wasn’t,” Jongin assured him, offering a lighthearted smile of his own. “And I love you too."

Jongin wasn’t letting Kyungsoo cry anymore. From then on, he was going to do everything he could to make sure Kyungsoo would always be happy, always laughing and smiling and never, ever shedding another tear.

And the first thing he was going to do was take him out for dinner.