A story with revenge

The Prince Bridegroom (by L. Deer)

Sehun was freshly bathed, freshly dressed, and freshly medicated when Luhan found him the next day.  He sat up in bed, vibrating with barely-contained excitement.

“Luhan!” Sehun cried.  “I took a bath and put on the medicine and I didn’t scratch anything—see?  And I didn’t play any videogames at all and ate all my breakfast and I’ve been good, so now you have to tell me the story!”

Had Sehun paid attention, he would’ve seen the dark circles around his brother’s eyes.

“Too loud, Sehun.” Luhan groaned.  Sehun sheepishly sank back down into his covers. Luhan slumped into the chair by Sehun’s bed with a loud yawn. “Now, where were we again?”

 

 

The night before his wedding, Suho couldn’t sleep—

“No! I thought I told you, he’s not allowed to get married to Xiumin!”

—AHEM! THE NIGHT BEFORE HIS WEDDING, SUHO COULDN’T SLEEP.  The sky was inky black, the stars were shining, and the moon was perfectly round like a tea biscuit.  Staring out the window, Suho recalled a time, so long ago, when he and Kris walked hand-in-hand down the garden with only the moonlight illuminating their path.  That was when Kris had given him a ring.

“I-It’s not a wedding ring or anything…yet,” Kris mumbled to the ground. “But, uh, wait for me?”

“Kris…” Suho wondered what Kris would think if he could see him now, with another ring on his finger.  “You broke your promise first.”

You didn’t come back for me.

A cold draft of wind sent a shiver through his body, and Suho got up to close the window.  He could hear the cries of wild animals, and he shuddered.  He missed Byul. He didn’t think he’d ever get used to living away from home.  The walls and décor here were as expensive as his own—maybe more so, but they gave no comfort.

Suho went to the sink to wash his face and brush his teeth, a routine that had been instilled into him by his mother--"remember, your beauty is an invaluable asset."  Even the faucets were made of gold.  He looked in the mirror and could barely recognize himself; he looked like a ghost.  Suho sighed and was about to turn around, when he felt something cold against his neck.  

“Don’t scream,” a voice hissed.

 

 

Now, it’s time to introduce three new characters to our growing story, as we’ll be spending quite a lot of time with them.

Suho’s three kidnappers came in short, tall, tall.  The short one was Baekhyun, the brains of the bunch. His tongue was almost as sharp as his teeth, both of which were occupied 24/7 with either a piece of gum or inventing insults to bark at his teammates—or minions, depending on how you wanted to look at it. 

The tall ones were Chanyeol and Tao.  What cunning they lacked, they made up for in physical skills.  Chanyeol came from a family of bodyguards, and he carried the Park tradition with great pride.  He could lift a grown man or woman with one hand without breaking a sweat. (unless the grown man was Baekhyun, who could make Chanyeol sweat with just one glare)  Meanwhile, Tao could snap a person’s posture in half clean through the vertebrae with a well-aimed swipe of his wushu stick.  Baekhyun and Chanyeol always gave him a wide berth during his training sessions. 

Together, they were the Three Chingus, a top-secret for-hire group that specialized in...well, let's just say that if there was a pesky relative standing between you and an inheritance, they were your men for the job.

 

So what exactly were these the Three Chingus doing in the bedroom of Suho Kim, bridegroom-to-be?

“We’re kidnapping you.  Pack a bag, get your passport.  Bring a toothbrush and book or whatever; it’s going to be a long ride.”

“Bring a coat, too!” Chanyeol suggested helpfully.  “The forecast said there’s going to be high winds tonight!”

 “Hurry,” Baekhyun snapped, as Tao poked Suho with one end of his Wushu stick. 

 

It was only as they were speeding away in a nondescript car that Suho realized he should’ve tried to leave a note.  What if everyone thought he had gotten cold feet?  For a moment, he felt a twinge of pity for Xiumin, who would be waking up in a couple of hours to a missing bridegroom and a field day of reporters.

 

In the front of the car, Baekhyun and Chanyeol took turns driving, trading a bag of potato chips between them.  The crunching was the only sound breaking the silence in the car. It was completely dark out, so Suho could barely make out the passing scenery, but according to the car’s GPS they were headed west.  Beside him in the backseat, Tao was polishing the sharpened ends of his Wushu stick.  He met Suho’s curious gaze with a cold stare, and Suho shrank back.

"Excuse me..." Suho called timidly.  The crunching paused.  "Where exactly are we going...?"

"Good question!  Yuan Land--"

"Oh my god, Chanyeol!  Seriously?" Baekhyun whacked Chanyeol with the bag of chips.

"Oops."  Chanyeol cringed.  "Uh, pretend you didn't hear that?"

Yuan Land? Suho paled, fighting down a wave of nausea. The reminder of Kris’ last moments sent unwanted spikes through his heart, which had never truly recovered even after three years. “Why?"

" ‘Cause we were hired by--"

"PARK! CHAN! YEOL!"  A piece of gum landed on Chanyeol's cheek, its trajectory fueled by the force of Baekhyun's fury.  Chanyeol shrank in his seat.

"Sorry, sorry!"

As Baekhyun gripped the steering wheel and muttered under his breath about incompetent giants with underdeveloped brains, Chanyeol fumbled with the radio knobs.

"Hey, it's so quiet in here!  Let's listen to some music, huh?"

“—Listen boy, my first love story—“  “—News report—“  “—LUCIFER, LUCIFER—“ “Tired of cleaning after your dog? Call us at—“ “—AWOOOO—“ "Moxe-“

Instantly Chanyeol shut off the radio.  It was like a chill had entered the car.  Suho blinked, surprised at the effect of the syllable.  Not that he didn't fear criminal organizations, but he would think that his kidnappers were no strangers to those.

"Sorry," said Chanyeol meekly.

“It’s fine,” Tao said in a tight voice, though the tight death grip he had on his wushu stick suggested otherwise.

 

"Um, so...about the Moxe..." Suho asked when it appeared that no one would be breaking the silence anytime soon.

"Bastards."  Tao said flatly. 

"They're the Yuan mafia," a slightly more helpful Baekhyun explained, giving Tao a cautious glance through the mirror.  "They've been causing trouble in the country for the past two decades; it's why the tourism industry in Yuan is crap." 

"I know that," Suho said.

“Well, of course you do!” Chanyeol remarked.  “They did kill your ex boyfriend, ya know.”

Suho felt his body freeze over.  “W-what?”

“Geez, Chanyeol, have some sensitivity.”  Baekhyun sighed.  “Your ex boyfriend: Kris Wu, right?"

"How did you know..?"

"Please, what sort of professionals would we be if we didn't do a thorough background check on you?  Plus, it wasn't that hard to find.  Nothing a little hacking into your BookFace accounts couldn't accomplish.  You guys posted disgusting couple pictures all the time."

"Aw, I thought they were cute!"

"Of course you would, Chanyeol.  Anyway, the train crash from three years ago?  The one that the police called an accident?  Everyone in the underground knows it was the Moxe’s work.”

 

 

 

 

Somewhere along the way, Suho fell into an uneasy sleep.  He was jolted rudely awake by Tao's wushu stick, and he opened his sticky eyes to the sight of a deserted piece of tarmac, where a tiny airplane awaited them.  Suho watched as Baekhyun passed a wad of cash into the pilot's hand.

“You sure you don’t want me to knock you out?” Chanyeol offered, once they had boarded. “I’ll hit really lightly, I promise. It’ll be a gentle concussion!”

Gripping his armrests tightly, Tao shook his head.

“He’s afraid of heights,” Chanyeol explained to Suho in a loud whisper.  Tao glowered at them.

“I’m not afraid.  The altitude does bad things to my skin.”

An hour later, seated and belted securely into his seat, Suho finally had the chance to digest the events of the past few hours.  As the small plane took off with a roar of its engines, Suho took stock of his situation.

 

-He had been kidnapped. 

-by three extremely strange men.

-He probably wasn't going to get married in eight hours. 

-He forgot to bring toothpaste and a credit card. 

-Kris had been a casualty of an underground attack by some shady organization.

 

Not that it changed anything, in the grand scheme of things.  Kris was still gone, and thus Suho's life was still meaningless as ever.

“The Moxe,” Suho said, before he could stop himself.  Half of him wanted to know; the other didn’t.  “What have they done, exactly?"

Suho heard sniffling from beside him. 

“Tao?”

"Oh here we go again," Baekhyun muttered. "He always turns into a mess when he's over 10 ft above the ground."

"Don't be mean," Chanyeol chided.  Then, to Tao: "You sure you still don't want me to knock you out?"

“No!”

Suho reached out a hesitant hand to pat Tao on the shoulder.   To Suho’s astonishment and slight horror, Tao began to bawl.

"I-I'm sorry about your boyfriend," Tao cried as he accepted Suho's handkerchief.  "I-I know how it feels!"

“What do you mean?” Suho asked.  Tao blew his nose loudly. 

"The Moxe.  Those bastards killed my family."

As the plane crossed over the harbor and into the Great Asian Sea, Tao began his story.

 

Tao’s Extremely Sad and Poignant Backstory

Fifteen years ago, Tao would have never imagined that he would grow up to be a hired mercenary.  No, five-year-old Tao dreamed of being a fashion model, gracing the runways with his impeccable style and walk.  His parents and brother were nothing short of encouraging of his passion, and little Tao had a wardrobe that some would kill to possess.

In fact, Tao did indeed get into a duel over a vintage leather jacket, sixteen years later, but we're getting ahead of ourselves here.

 

Anyway, Tao enjoyed a simple childhood in a little province of Yuan Land, growing up with his mother and older brother.  His father was unfortunately out of the picture, having died serving in the Yuan Air Force while Tao was still in his mother's womb.  As a result, Tao grew up with a crippling fear of heights, while his older brother dreamed of being a pilot like their father.  Different people coped in different ways,

Though Tao and his brother were different as night and day, they were very close.  Tao adored his brother, and followed him around wherever he went.  They grew up inseperable, until tragedy hit the family when Tao was only six years old.

 

Tao had been sitting at the table, cutting out pictures from a fashion magazine and daydreaming about his first runway show, when his mother had rushed into the room with a pale face.

“Tao.  Tao, follow me.”

“Huh?” Tao let himself be led by his mother’s hand, to the corner of the room.  She opened the cover to the kitchen vent and motioned him to crawl inside.  "But Mommy--"

"Sh...baby, we're playing hide and seek right now.  Fanfan is 'it.'"

"Oh!"  Tao brightened.  He loved hide and seek.  Obediently, he crawled inside the stuffy vent and watched as his mother replaced the cover. "But, Mommy, aren't you going to come inside too?"

"Don't be silly; it's too big for me.  I'll go hide somewhere else.  Now, listen Taotao, whatever you do, don't come out unless I or your uncle say so.”

"Uncle?"  Tao hadn't seen his uncle since last week.  "He's playing too?"

His mother nodded.  "Promise me, Tao."

Tao nodded, confused.

He was even more confused several minutes later, when he heard a loud bang from the hallway.  Unfamiliar, gruff voices.  His mother's trembling voice.  Tao held his breath, trying to quiet his breathing, as three figures crashed into view.  He recognized his mother, but there were two unfamiliar men dressed completely in black.  They wore black masks over their faces.

 

" Qian," One of the men stated. Tao’s attention was instantly drawn to the man’s hands.  He had six fingers.  On both men's arms were tattoos that read M-OXE, though it took Tao quite a while to decipher the tattooed letters.  He had only just learned his alphabets recently."Where is your son?"

"He's not here," Tao's mother replied in a shaky voice. "He's at boarding school.  You're wasting your time here."

 Tao gasped when one of the men drew out a knife and held it to .  Suddenly, he didn't like this game of hide and seek any longer.

"Don't lie to me; I saw the shoes outside the door.  Let me ask again: where is your son?"

The price for not answering was a slashed throat.  Seconds later, Tao’s mother crumpled to the floor.

"Mommy!" Yifan screamed as he rushed over to the crumpled heap on the ground.  Tao fought the urge to run out as well.  Instead, he watched as his brother grabbed the nearest chair and charged toward the men in black, hitting them with the chair legs.  "You MONSTER! Die!  DIE!"

 

Still hidden in the closet, Tao trembled as he watched one man kick his older brother in the stomach as though he were an annoying dog.  With a pained cry, Yifan doubled over and collapsed. Tao gasped, fighting back tears and vomit.  He wanted to run to his brother and his mother, but he couldn't.  He'd promised.

 

 

"We got the son.  Let's go." 

Before they left, the two men left a large red message painted onto the walls.  M OXE

Tao didn’t leave the vent. Not even when the air inside grew hot and stuffy.  Not even when the landlord Mr. Son barged in demanding next month’s rent and fainted at the state of the blood-spattered apartment. Not even when the police arrived at the scene, shaking their heads as they instructed the crime scene unit to dispose of the 'evidence' as best they could.

No one thought to look inside the vent.

Finally, after almost 24 hours of semi-consciousness, Tao heard a familiar voice calling his name.

“Tao?  Are you there?”

 “Uncle!” Tao sobbed as the vent was opened.  Then, he screamed as he realized his uncle was dressed in all black--just like the men from earlier.  "I don't like this game!"

“Shh, Taotao, I don’t have a lot of time.  Look at me.  Take a deep breath.  One, two, three...”

Tao obeyed, staring into Uncle's steady eyes.  Once his breathing had evened, Uncle took his hands.

“Get your things; I’m taking you somewhere safe before they come for me.”  Tao had never heard his uncle speak this way; he’d always been cheerful and full of smiles.  “We don’t have a lot of time; they’ll no doubt discover my betrayal soon.”

“Are we going to the police?”

Uncle gave a humorless laugh.  “The police are bribed dogs, Taotao. Going to them would put you in even more danger.”

“What do we do?” Tao whimpered.

“What I’m going to do is take you somewhere safe.  Luckily, your father’s…friends didn’t know that your mother had a second child, so you're safe.  I wish you were older, though…”

“I want to be with Mommy. And Gege.”

“I’m afraid that’s not possible,” said Uncle sadly.

 “C-can I come with you then?”

Uncle looked regretful.  "Taotao, this is probably the last time we'll see each other."

Tao's eyes filled with tears. 

A few hours later, Uncle deposited Tao at the doorstep of a training academy, speaking in hushed tones to the strict-looking gentleman who opened the door.  Uncle reached into his coat and drew out a bag, from which he counted out his life's savings.

"That should cover him until he's eighteen, correct?"

"...yes, I would certainly say so.  Are you sure?"

"Trust me, I won't have any use of money in a few hours' time."

Before he left, Uncle bent down and took Tao's face in his hands.

"I know you must be scared right now, but you'll be safe here.  Be brave.  Listen to the masters, and learn everything you can to protect yourself.   Goodbye, Tao."

As Tao looked into his uncle's tired eyes, he suddenly knew: this wasn't a game.  This was real.  He was all alone, now.

For the next fifteen years, Tao spent every waking hour absorbing the knowledge and training of the academy.  From the crack of dawn to midnight, he practiced his posture and technique alongside the masters and the other children of the academy.  Forgotten were the memories of being a fashion model or playing with his brother.  His thoughts were consumed with only pain and determination.

From that day on, Tao dedicated his life to one thing only: revenge.

 

 

 

“…I graduated the top of my class.  They offered me a teaching position at the academy, but I declined.  I left as soon as I turned eighteen and was no longer bound to the academy. I spent the next few years entering matches, fighting my way to the top. I've won every single fight for the past five years.  Every battle, I imagine that my opponent is the man who killed my family.  If I ever see one of them, I will win.  And one day, I will kill the man who murdered my mother and my brother."

A long silence filled the plane.  They’d pulled down the blinds over the plane windows, but Tao was still shaking.

"We'll get him," Baekhyun said gruffly.  “He won’t get away with it.”  Chanyeol cracked his knuckles in agreement.

Unlike them, Suho didn’t know what to say. Tao had dedicated his life to avenging his loved ones’ death.  And what had Suho done since Kris' death?  Wasted away and spent three years mostly in his bedroom feeling sorry for himself, reading depressing poetry and listening to equally depressing music.  Suho suddenly felt ashamed and very small.

 

 

Up front in the cockpit, the pilot adjusted his visor and sighed, oblivious to the conversation going on behind him, no idea that he was the target of a rage that had been burning for over fifteen years

Beneath the pilot's sleeve, on his left arm, was a M OXE tattoo.