Three

And That Is Why We Broke Up

This is the ticket for the first movie they saw, a date that'll rattle Jungkook forever. He doesn't know if it's Taehyung's or his, but he know he bought them both and waited outside, trying not to pace in the sort-of-cold. Taehyung was almost late, which turned out to be as usual. Jungkook had a feeling that Taehyung wasn't going to show up. Show up, show up, where are you? Everyone was right about you, prove them wrong, where are you? Jungkook thought to himself.

And then from nowhere Taehyung were in his life again, tapping him on the shoulder with his hair combed and damp, smiling, maybe nervous. Maybe breathless, like Jungkook.

"Hey," Jungkook squeaked.

"Hey," Taehyung said. "Sorry I'm late if I'm late. I forgot which cinema this was. I never go here. I had it confused with the one at Hongdae."

"Hongdae?" And at that very moment Jungkook can picture what kind of boy Taehyung was, hanging around at Hongdae, out of all places.

"And who was waiting for you at Hongdae?" Jungkook raised an eyebrow.

"Nobody," Taehyung said. "Very lonely. I like it better here."

They stood together and Jungkook opened the door. "So you've never been here?"

"Nope."

"I'm here, like, every week."

"Good to know," Taehyung said. "I'll always be able to find you."

"Um," Jungkook said, savoring that.

"OK, tell me what we're seeing, again?"

"Air Doll. It's a Japanese movie."

"Oh yeah?" Taehyung said, looking around the lobby, It was only the usual lonely men, another date couple probably from university, and and woman in a beautiful hat that made Jungkook stare. "I'll get us tickets."

"I got them already," Jungkook said.

"Oh. Well, what can I get? Popcorn?"

"Definitely. The popcorn here is the real stuff."

They sat in the sixth row where Jungkook always like it. And Taehyung's arm a thrill around Jungkook, sitting in the dark as the lights went down. The movie started rolling, more dialogue, another heavy stuff about life but then Taehyung was kissing Jungkook. It was sudden. It was a good first one, gentle and jolty. And Jungkook kissed him back.

Bae Doona is on the big screen, crying when she found out that real life is not as easy as it seems but Taehyung probably doesn't remember that scene because by then it was French with Jungkook's mouth wet and just the slight mint of toothbrushing, Taehyung's hand on Jungkook's neck, and Jungkook not knowing if he'll slide it down or just move to hold him at the waist before making his way up underneath. So Jungkook stop the kiss and Bae Doona was sleeping under the bridge, alone.

They sat still for the rest, in the dark, merely holding hands until the ending and then they were blinking in the lobby and Jungkook asked Taehyung what he thought.

"Uh," Taehyung said, shrugged, looked at Jungkook, shrugged again and Jungkook wanted to grab Taehyung's wrist and hold his palm right where he'd stopped him from putting it before. Jungkook's heart is beating thump-thump-thump.

"Well, I liked it," Jungkook said, hoping he wasn't flushed with thinking it. "Thanks for seeing it with me."

"Yeah," Taehyung said, and then, "I mean, you're welcome. What do we do now?"

"Um," Jungkook said, and Taehyung looked at him like he didn't know his lines. "Are you hungry?"

Taehyung smiled gently. "I play basketball, so that answer's always yess."

"OK." Jungkook said, thinking he could have tea. And watch Taehyung eat. And then he gasped, he really did. Jungkook gasped and pointed the way. He gave Taehyung an adventure, right in front of him, but Taehyung never saw it until he showed him, and that is why they broke up.

 


 

It breaks Jungkook's heart to give this back to Taehyung, but Taehyung is already heartbroken, so they're even, he guessed.

"What?" Taehyung said, and watched the woman go down the block.

"Bae Doona," I said.

"Who's she?"

"From the movie."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Are you sure?"

"No," Jungkook said, "Of course I'm not sure. But it could be."

They went outside and Taehyung squinted and frowned. "She doesn't look a thing like in the movie."

"Makeups do wonders to someone," Jungkook rolled his eyes.

"If it's her, how can you be sure?"

"Just look at her. If it's her, then she probably lives here," Jungkook realized. She was a little away by now, in the coat, with the hat, halfway down the block.

"If it's her," Taehyunf said again.

"The eyes look the same, the chin. Look at the dimple."

Jungkook stopped looking at her and looked at Taehyung. My God, it was beautiful. He kissed Taehyung. He can feel it, his mouth on Taehyung's. "Even if it isn't," he murmured against Taehyung's neck and he pulled away, "We should follow her."

"What? Follow her?"

"Let's," Jungkook said. "We can see if it's her. And well, we could have lunch. Or, if you have to get home or something?"

"No," Taehyung said.

"No, you don't want to or no, you don't have to go home?"

"No, I mean yes, OK, if you want to."

Taehyung started to cross back to her side of the street but Jungkook took his arm. "No, stay here. We should follow at a discreet distance." Jungkook said.

"What?"

"It'll be easy, I promise."

"If you say so," Taehyung said, and took Jungkook's hand.

Jungkook want to murmur to his neck again, smelling him again, tasting him again. Let's go, is what Jungkook thought. Let's see where this leads us, this absent-minded adventure. Let's go, let's go, hurry towards the happy ending. Let's go, let's go together toward something extraordinary and Jungkook started making plans, thinking that they would get that far.