One

And That Is Why We Broke Up

This is what Jungkook is leaving him. He found it down in the basement, just grabbed the box when all of their things were too much for his bed stand drawer. So it all went into the box and the box went into his closet with some shoes on top of it that Jungkook will never wear. Every last souvenir of the love they had, the prizes and the debris of this relationship, like the glitter in the gutter when the parade has passed. Jungkook is dumping the whole box back into Taehyung’s life, every item of theirs. He’s dumping this box on Taehyung’s porch, but it is Taehyung, who is getting dumped.

The thunk, Jungkook admit it, will make him smile. A rare thing lately. Jungkook loved Taehyung and now here’s back his stuff, out of Jungkook’s life like he belong. Jungkook doesn’t love him anymore, of course he don’t.

Jungkook wrote his favorite quote on the lid of the box, "You either have the feeling or you don't," Jimin's truck rattles so sometimes the words are shaky, so that's Taehyung's tough luck as he read every word of this. Jungkook called Jimin this morning, and right away when he said, "Guess what?" he said, "You're going to ask me to help you run an errand using my truck."

"You're good at guessing," Jungkook said. "That's very close."

"Close?"

"OK, yes, that's it." Jungkook sighed.

"OK, give me a sec to find my keys and I'll pick you up."

"They should be in your jacket, from last night."

"You're good too," Jungkook can almost see the smile on Jimin's face as he said it.

"Don't you want to know what the errand is?"

"You can tell me when I get there."

"I want to tell you now." Jungkook whined.

"It doesn't matter, Jungkook," he said.

"I'm giving back Taehyung's stuff," Jungkook said it after a deep breath, and then he heard Jimin take one, too.

"Finally."

"Yeah. My end of the deal, right?"

"When you're ready, yeah. So, you're ready?"

Another one, deeper but shakier. "Yes."

"Are you sad about it?" Jimin asked.

"No."

"Jungkook."

"OK fine, yes," he sighed.

"OK, I have my keys. Five minutes."

"OK."

"Five minutes, Jungkook."

"Jimin, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have even --"

"Jungkook, it's OK."

"You don't have to. It's just that the box is so heavy I don't know --"

"It's OK, Jungkook. And of course I have too."

"Why?"

Jimin sighed through the phone and Jungkook kept staring at the top of the box. He'll miss seeing the quote when he open his closet but he will not, never, ever miss Taehyung. "Because, Jungkook," Jimin said, "the keys were right in my jacket, where you said they'd be."

Jimin is a good, good person. It was Jimin's party where Jungkook first met Taehyung, not that he invited Taehyung because he had no opinion of him then and so didn't invite Taehyung or any of his grunty jock crowd to his Bitter Sixteen party. Jungkook left school early to help him with the party but Taehyung just waltzed in uninvited with Baekhyun and all his team mates. And Taehyung didn't even say "bitter birthday" to Jimin and give a present, and that is why they broke up.