The Thief

Ephemeral Bliss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I think I have been alive for long to witness various unbelievable moments but I never thought that most of these unlikely experiences would involve the same girl over and over again. First, I never expected to fall for a girl in just a span of three days. Second, that girl suddenly appeared in my life again as my neighbour. Third – and probably the weirdest and most frustrating one – she made love to me only to deny remembering it the next day and even taking me into a police station in accusation of . I couldn’t help but just feel mad as I curiously stared at her while she was arguing with a police officer.

“Miss Bae, you said that you just woke up at Mr. Lee’s room without remembering spending the night with him. Mr. Lee admitted having an with you but stated that you are in a relationship with him.”

“But I don’t even remember knowing this guy!” Suzy yelled while pointing at me and I could just gape at her statement.

“However, Mr. Lee said that you two have been in a relationship for almost two weeks now and had become your neighbour for almost two months and furthermore, we don’t have any more evidences nor witnesses proving that you are ,” the police officer sighed.

“So you’re just letting him go because of that?” Suzy frowned.

“Miss Bae, there are no signs showing that you are physically forced to do such act. You don’t have wounds or bruises or scars. We have also inspected both of your houses and saw no sign of struggle that happened. Other neighbours reportedly did not hear any suspicious screams or witness suspicious actions too. Basically, what we have is just your testimony against Mr. Lee.”

“Officer, I could be a victim! Don’t you know how big of a deal that is?” she cried.

“Miss Bae, false accusations of is also a big deal and could incur civil sanctions if Mr. Lee would file a case against you,” the officer retorted. He then gazed at me before continuing, “I hate to give you my opinion on this but if Mr. Lee is guilty, he would have ran away and not accompany you here in the police station, Miss Bae.”

Suzy furrowed her eyebrows and bit her lips, clearly showing annoyance over the progress of our situation. To add more to her irritation, the officer let out another frustrated sigh before stating, “If you two are just having a lovers’ quarrel, why don’t you just talk about it in a corner over there and if Mr. Lee does or says anything suspicious, you could just tap any officer’s shoulder, okay? For now, let’s make my time more productive, please?”

“Officer!” Suzy screamed and slammed her fists on the table, startling both I and the officer but even before the police officer could reprimand her action, her name echoed in the station.

“Bae Suzy!”

Slowly, our heads turned towards the source who was a man dressed in grey denim shirt paired with black pants. I squinted trying to remember why the face was so familiar. However, the questions spinning on my head was immediately answered when Suzy whispered, “Soohyun oppa.”

And slowly, my mind recalled the image displayed in one of her frames. Now, I remember. He was the boy whose arms were wrapped around young Suzy’s shoulders in the picture. He was the man who Suzy termed as ‘the one who stole her heart.’

Fortunately, he was also our saviour from the mess we have created in the police station.

 

 

“How dare you invite this stranger in my house?!” Suzy complained as she pointed at me sitting by her dining table.

“We have to make up for the inconvenience you’ve brought him, Su,” Soohyun just calmly replied. He then turned to me and asked, “I’m making coffee. How would you like yours? Black or with cream?”

“With lots of cream. Thank you,” I smiled nonchalantly and this seemed to infuriate Suzy more.

With loud stomps, she walked nearer towards Soohyun as she shouted, “Do you even know this guy?!”

“Yes. We’re friends,” Soohyun replied as he put down a cup of coffee in front of me and added, “Here you go.”

“Friends? What’s his name then?” Suzy asked as he followed Soohyun around.

From the way he stared at me for a short while, I knew that Soohyun was taken aback by the question. However, with sheepishly fixing his hair at the back of his neck, he turned to Suzy and stated, “Well. We’re still in the getting-to-know-you stage.”

“Oppa!” Suzy yelled at the top of her lungs.

My brain was already functioning fast on how to calm Suzy down but I guess it was not my job when Soohyun’s around. I could only watch as Soohyun took my girl’s hand and wordlessly dragged her onto the living room. He made her sit down on the couch and I could only stare as she took both of her hands, grasped them softly as he kneeled in front of her. Their voices then were so soft that they almost didn’t reach my ears.

 “I know you’re very confused but there’s no better person who could explain your situation right now but yourself,” Soohyun said.

“How?” Suzy calmly asked this time.

Soohyun sighed before saying, “For now, just do me a favour and wait here without doing anything bad to that man over there which includes prohibiting yourself from throwing deathly gazes at him, okay?”

Suzy grumbled and rolled her eyes before answering, “Fine.”

She crossed her arms over her chest and kept her gaze on the ground as Soohyun went inside her room. When Soohyun came out there was a familiar small black notebook in one of his hands. He gave it to Suzy and said, “Read this quietly.”

“What’s this?” Suzy asked despite receiving it.

“It’s what you wrote for yourself,” Soohyun said with a wink but Suzy’s facial reaction said that she was not buying it. Grumbling, Soohyun added, “Just read through it first. Quietly.”

Throwing one last doubtful glance at Soohyun, Suzy then began reading through the little black notebook and Soohyun on the other hand, approached me with a smile

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter