One

Hope

You were just watching. Like an angel, watching, unnoticed by all. They had tasks to do. Your task was to keep them safe.

Jaebum was the first. He came running down the road towards you. And kept running right through you. You turned around and followed him. You heard him mumbling nonsense on his way.

The both of you reached the town. It was dead. Not a living soul wandering the streets. Nature took over the better part of the town. The blazing sun lit up the sad fassade of abandoned houses, broken street lights wherever you looked. Jaebum stopped to catch his breath. He looked around, searching for something. Seeing him stop in his tracks, you guessed he found what he came here for. Jaebum took a deep breath and started walking towards an old house on his left. You followed him inside. All the windows were broken, the outside walls torn down. Jaebum didn't seem to care about any of it. All you could see on his face was pure and utter terror. A deep frown which seemed to be engraved into his face fo all eternity.

He went up the stairs into a room which held something similar to a shrine. Something sat on the stool in the middle. It looked lika an indian god, made out of bronze and had four arms. Its head was decorated with a hat with chains and coins dangling from it. Its eyes were closed, its four hands held up at its sides with the index fingers and thumbs touching, forming an “o“, its legs crossed. But it wasn't sitting, it was slightly floating above the stool.

Jaebum came to a halt right in front of it. The creature, sensing a presence, opened its eyes to stare at Jaebum. Only it didn't have eyes in the classic sense. They looked like those bronze statues, eye shapes filled with bronze metal, no details in pupils or the iris. But the stare was terrifying. Even though it wasn't looking at you, you felt shivers running down your spine. Jaebum took one last deep breath to calm himself down and started.

He spoke words in a language you coundn't understand, fast and quiet, like a chant, not once removing his gaze from the statue. This was it. Your job was done. You couldn't help him any further. You were just here for his protection beforehand. The actual task he had to do on his own. Not bearing to watch the outcome of the ritual, you slowly turned away and teleported yourself back on the empty road.

 

 

The next one was Jinyoung. It was the same picture, him running down the empty road towars you. But as he ran through you, you felt something weird. With Jaebum you felt his pure terror, but Jinyoung felt something else. It felt good.It made you heart beat just a little faster. It made your heart feel just a little warmer.

You were shocked, frozen on the spot. You didn't know what to do. You never felt something like this before. Technically you weren't the one feeling these things, it was Jinyoung. This made you spin around and follow after him to the same town, to the same room, infront of the same statue. You don't exactly know what happened to Jaebum, you didn't want to know. All you knew was that he wasn't here anymore. Jinyoung was your priority now.

Standing infront of the statue, Jinyoung stared at it. But there was something besides terror on his face. You stepped closer, reaching out your hand to feel his cheek. There was a glint in his eyes you couldn't quite place. As you were touching him, everything exploded inside you. You felt every emotion, all at once, fear, love, sadness, loss, hapiness. You saw pictures in front of your eyes. You recognized the people there. It was Jinyoung. And right beside him was...... Jaebum! You laughed out loud just to burst into tears the very next second. They smiled together. They held each other. Those were Jinyoungs memories. With his loved one. Jaebum was his first and only love in this destroyed world. They stayed by each other through everything. The catastrophe couldn't tear them apart. Nothing in this world could. But the prophecy came into action. It had to be fulfilled.

So Jaebum left his love.