Chapter 1

Into The Sun

                There was a loud crash followed by a bright flash. “Dongho!! You aren’t supposed to drop it on Kevin! You need to attach it to the stand.” Soohyun yelled as Kevin had about fallen off the stool he was posing on. The younger boy standing on a ladder near the lighting fixture quickly hopped down and checked the light for damage. It was fine. Soohyun was the owner of a photography studio in San Francisco. He was originally born in Hawaii. He would often tell the people who worked for him about it. The boy, who was posing on the stool, was Kevin. He was an assistant and would model for them when they wanted to try new photography styles. Dongho was only a part timer and he only got the job because his older sister from the family that adopted him was the editor here.

                Soohyun sighed. “Kiseop!! Where are you?” He called out through the small studio. Dongho had climbed back up the ladder and could see over the screens and backdrops into the office area. He started laughing. “Where do you think he is?” Kevin and Soohyun both leaned around the side of the backdrop and Kevin started giggling.

                Kiseop was sitting on a chair leaning on the Editors desk, staring at her as she worked. Her name was Sage. She was the only girl who worked in Soohyun’s studio. She pretty much just sat on her computer and used Photoshop all day to edit all the pictures taken. She was the second person Soohyun had hired, Kiseop was first. Kiseop was also a photographer like Soohyun. He has had a crush on Sage since shortly after she came to work here.

                Sage was used to Kiseop staring at her like a happy puppy from across her desk. There was even an empty space on her desk where his arms and head would go. She had taken up the habit of wearing headphones to block out everyone while she worked. She didn’t return Kiseops feelings and everyone, including Kiseop knew that. Kiseop however had studied every inch of her face and flirting with her was his favorite hobby.

                Sage was not only the only girl working here, but the only white person. She had shoulder length brown hair with straight bangs covering her forehead. She wore black rectangle glasses when she used the computer, but didn’t need them for normal seeing. She was much shorter than all of the boys she worked with, even her younger brother.

                The phone started ringing and Soohyun threw an empty film container at Kiseop’s head. Sage jumped at the sudden black thing flying between her face and her monitor and turned to stare at Soohyun with hanging slightly open.  Kevin and Dongho both waved at her and smiled. She turned to look at Kiseop. He was pouting and holding the container. It had hit him right on his forehead. “Kiseop, come over here and work. I need to answer the phone.” He said laughing in surprise at his own aim.

                Kiseop sighed and stood up and walked around the desk and crouched down next to Sage. “Sage! My head hurts now!” She took off her headphones and put them down, she was sitting cross legged in her computer chair and her shoes were on the ground. She turned her chair and looked at the boy with reddish black hair pouting up at her. “What?” Kevin and Dongho started laughing. Kiseop set his head in her lap and whined about his head hurting again.

                Dongho jumped off the ladder and walked over to him and lifted his head off of Sage. “You can pout on my lap instead. Leave my sister alone, she has to work.” Kiseop stood up and walked over by Kevin and started making sure of the settings on the camera and continued the shoot that Soohyun was doing. Sage laughed and messed up her little brothers’ dark brown hair. “Get back to work and don’t break anything.”

                Dongho ran back over by Kevin and Kiseop and did whatever Kiseop would tell him to do. Sage put her headphones back on and got back to work. Suddenly Soohyun came running out of his office excitedly, Sage didn’t notice. He ran over to the photo shoot in progress and yelled. “WE ARE ALL GOING TO HAWAII!!!” The other three boys just stared at him. Kevin fixed the bangs to his choppy light brown hair and laughed. “That’s funny.”

                 Kiseop laughed a bit and kept taking pictures of Kevin and Dongho was just staring at the oldest boy with a raised eyebrow. Soohyun sighed and ran his hand through his brown hair and moved the bangs from in front of his right eye. “I’m serious!! We have a job there! One of my childhood friends wants us to take pictures of some of his friends trying to become sponsored surfers! We will be staying at my mom’s old house for two weeks.” He looked over towards Sage who hadn’t heard a word. “All of us are going. There are 3 bedrooms.”

                Suddenly the boys all got excited and Kiseop ran back over to Sage and lifted her up in the air. Sage was about beheaded by her headphones. “Kiseop!!! What the heck!!” She yelled as she rubbed the back of her head. “We are all going to Hawaii for a job!! We can share a room!” Sage looked over to Soohyun confused while Kiseop kept her up in the air. “Wait… What??” Soohyun grinned. “Sage will be getting her own room. The rest of us will pair up.” Dongho glared at Kiseop and pointed at his own eyes then at Kiseop. “I am rooming with Kiseop. There will be no further discussion.” Everyone started laughing at the youngest giving a demand like that.

                The red headed boy finally put Sage down as Soohyun came and explained the details to her.  “We will be there for about two weeks. We leave tomorrow. So work is done for today. All of you go home and pack what you want to bring. We will be having fun as well.” He looked Sage over. “And Sage, you might be able to get some color while we are there.” She laughed and looked at her arm. She was white to the point of almost glowing in direct sunlight. She really did spend all her time working on her computer.

                Kevin had already run off to go pack. Soohyun and Kiseop were packing up the camera equipment they would need. Sage sat back down at her computer and Dongho leaned on her chair. “Why aren’t we leaving yet? I need to make sure I have enough clothes.” She laughed and pulled out an external hard drive. “I need to bring the rest of the photos I have to edit. The other deadlines still haven’t changed.”

                The younger boy sighed and nodded and sat in the chair Kiseop usually sits in and sat there impatiently. Soon everyone was ready to leave the office and Soohyun was about to lock up. “Now, are you all sure you didn’t forget anything inside?” They all nodded. Soohyun grinned. “Then I will see you all tomorrow at the airport at 8am.” Sage looked at Dongho reluctantly. Kiseop suddenly put his arms around both Sage and Dongho’s shoulders. “So do you two need a ride home?” Dongho shook his head. “I got my own car now. I drove us here today.”

                Kiseop nodded and patted Sage on the head and went off to his car. Dongho and Sage got into Dongho’s car and she looked over at him smiling. “Are you planning on telling him that you borrowed dads’ car?” Dongho laughed. “Nope! It’s cooler to have your own car.” She laughed as Dongho left the parking lot and almost hit a dumpster. “I kind of want to survive long enough to get to Hawaii.” Dongho glared at her. “You shut up! We will survive. I will also make sure that you survive Kiseop. I will try to keep him away from you.”

                She liked Kiseop. She thought he was cute and funny but she just didn’t have any feelings for him as more than friends. She also was used to Kiseop being how he is around her. He kind of reminded her of a pet. But he could speak English and was almost 8 inches taller than her.

                They got home and Dongho ran inside to tell their parents about the Hawaii trip. Sage came in after and Dongho was sitting at the counter in the kitchen with a disappointed look on his face. “They aren’t home.” She nodded as she went to the fridge and grabbed a Red Bull and handed one to Dongho. He looked at it weirdly. “Why do you drink these? They taste weird. Give me milk.” She laughed and took his Red Bull away and got him a glass of milk. “You are 20 now; you can get your own milk.” He grinned at her. “You still got it for me anyways. You really are a er for cute faces.”

                She glared at him playfully as she drank out of her Red Bull and went to go pack her clothes. Dongho yelled across the house to her. “Don’t forget lots of cute swimsuits!! You are 23 already! Go flirt with non-Kiseop boys!!” Sage laughed and yelled back “I don’t even flirt with Kiseop boys!” She could hear him start coughing as he choked on his milk.

                Sage made it to her room. She had a lot of green things in her room. Her favorite color was actually silver or white but because of her name, she would get a lot of green gifts from friends and family who thought it was clever. She couldn’t even count how many times she has heard someone tell her that she must have been named after the color of her eyes. In theory it was a good pick up line but after hearing it her entire life, she was sick of it.

                She went to her closet and pulled out her black rolling suitcase that had neon green duct tape on some of the sides, making it easier to find in baggage claims, and tossed it onto her bed. She grabbed a green leopard print bag and threw all her socks and underwear in it and put it next to her suit case. She started packing the clothes she thought she would need. She made sure to pack at least three hoodies, just in case. She put the bag with her underwear in it into the suitcase and then started looking at her swimsuits that she had. She only had 2 suits. One was a one piece from a few years ago; she never wore it anymore but threw it into the suitcase anyways. Her other suit was a present from Dongho for her 19th birthday. He was embarrassed that his older sister still wore a one piece. It had a tube top design with a twist on the front and a string that tied around her neck. It was a white top with green stripes going vertical and the bottoms were solid green.

                She threw that into the suitcase as well. She went into the bathroom to pack her toiletries and her parents had come back and her dad was in there washing his face. “So you and Dongho are going to Hawaii? Is it for work?” She smiled and nodded. “Yeah, the entire studio is going.” Her dad smiled and wiped his hands dry on the back of her shirt laughing. “Have LOTS of fun!” he grinned as she whined about her shirt. She noticed he put a lot of emphasis on ‘lots’ and she grumbled to herself.

                She suddenly yelled loud enough for the entire house to hear. “I AM NOT A BORING PERSON!!!” she could hear Dongho and her dad laughing. Then her mom yelled back “Oh honey, you need to get out more! Go on a date or something!” Dongho was laughing even louder and walked past the bathroom door. Sage walked out and hit him upside the head. “Shut up…”

                He just smiled and continued laughing on his way to his room. Sage went back to packing. She made sure to check that her laptop had all the updates for the programs she needed and double checked the external hard drive. She packed all of the electronics in a carryon bag and was satisfied with her job packing and went to go check on Dongho.

                She walked into his room and saw him sitting on his suitcase trying to close it. “What are you doing? Did you fold your clothes?” Dongho groaned. “I’m too excited to fold them!” She laughed and pointed at the suitcase. “They won’t let you take that if there are clothes sticking out.” He groaned again as Sage walked back to the living room.

                Her mom was sitting there reading a magazine and her dad was watching a movie. She sat next to her mom. “Am I really boring?” Her mom laughed. “You aren’t boring; it’s just that you don’t go outside to socialize. You should go out and get a boyfriend or something.” She sighed. It wasn’t that she didn’t want a boyfriend, it’s just that she hasn’t seen many guys who were more attractive than the guys she worked with and she didn’t have romantic feelings for any of them. Plus if she got a boyfriend, she had no idea how Kiseop would handle it. She would probably have a boy crying on her desk for days. She was content with her friends at work and her family.

                They heard a crash from upstairs in Dongho’s room. “I’m okay!!” he yelled, reassuring everyone in the house, who weren’t even worried. Crashes around Dongho was normal, he was very awkward. Sage started watching the movie with her dad and soon Dongho joined them.

                A few hours later, her phone rang. It was Kevin. “Hello?” she answered. “Sage! Hey, do you and Dongho want me to pick you guys up in the morning on my way to the airport?” Kevin sounded just as excited as Dongho. She smiled and looked down at Dongho who was lying on the floor. “Do you want to go to the airport with Kevin tomorrow?” Dongho nodded without looking away from the movie. “Yeah, Kevin, we will go with you. When will you be here?” She could hear Kevin laugh excitedly. “I will be there around 7:30. I will call you when I’m on my way.”

                She laughed. “Alright, Kevin. See you in the morning!” they said their good byes and hung up. Her mom sighed and put her hands on her cheeks and smiled at Sage. “I’m so jealous of you! You get to go to Hawaii with all those pretty boys and you will get to see them in swimsuits.” Sage hadn’t even thought of that. Her face went pale as she imagined it. She wasn’t so sure she could survive this. Her mom started laughing again. “I really wonder how that Kiseop boy looks without a shirt…”

                Everyone in the room stared at her and she started smiling and giggling to herself. Sage’s dad threw a pillow at her. “Hey! He is young enough to be your son!!” Her mom started blushing and looked at Sage. “Just imagine what pretty grandbabies you would make with any of those three boys!!” Sage curled her legs up to her chest and covered her head with her arms. Her dad had started laughing as Dongho was yelling at their mom about all the reasons why Sage couldn’t have babies with any of them.

                Sage was really hoping that the mental images of having children with any of her friends would be gone by tomorrow.

                Soon everything died down again and her mom went to go make dinner. They could randomly hear her laugh from the kitchen. Sage sighed and flopped over on the couch. Her dad smiled. “I personally would prefer if you don’t date anyone. I like having you here. You don’t need a boyfriend; daddy will take care of both you and Dongho. You never have to leave.”

                Both kids stared at him. They could tell he was being sarcastic. Their mom called them to dinner. They ate while the parents talked more about the trip than both Sage and Dongho. After dinner the parents were doing the dishes in the kitchen and playing around. The two kids went into the living room to watch more TV. They could hear dishes clinking and water splash between their parents laughter. Dongho leaned backwards and yelled towards the kitchen “Hey!! Don’t make a mess in there! I don’t want to have to mop up after you again!” Sage laughed as her mom shushed her dad.

                She was pretty sure that her weak spot for cute faces and people acting cute was because of her parents. They had acted like a newlywed couple her entire life. They were happy even doing the dishes together. They would tease each other and whine to each other and would never be annoyed by the other one. She hoped to have something like that someday, but as it was right now, she had her job and they were all close and wouldn’t hold anything back. She smiled and shook her head as she realized she really was the most boring person she knew.

                “Hey Dongho. I think I want to be less boring while in Hawaii. Maybe I should learn to surf or something…” He turned and grinned at her excitedly. “We could learn to surf together!” Sage started laughing. “I actually think I would like scuba diving more. I could look at all the pretty fish and reefs.” Dongho sat up and thought for a moment. “Yeah, scuba diving suits you better. I want to surf and pick up pretty surfer girls.” Sage laughed and nodded. “I think you will be very popular. Me, on the other hand, I will probably be lucky if a fish looks at me.”

                Their mom heard her as she came into the room. “Honey, you are very cute. How many times does that gorgeous Kiseop tell you that?” Dongho and Sage burst out laughing. Their mom really did have a crush on Kiseop. Sage laughed. “Then maybe I should try to find a boy even hotter than Kiseop while in Hawaii!” her mom nodded. “I approve.” She looked to see if her husband was still in the kitchen and leaned down towards Sage. “Text me pictures of your friends from the beach. Promise me!” Sage laughed and nodded.

                “What are you doing in there, baby?” her dad called from the kitchen. Their mom giggled and ran back to the kitchen. “Nothing Honey, let’s dry the dishes!”

                Soon it was around 11 and Sage stood up. “Dongho, go to bed so you will be able to wake up in the morning.” Dongho sighed and went to his room, mumbling the whole way. She also went to her room and got ready for bed. She plugged her phone in and went to take a shower. She wanted to take one in the morning, but she would have to drag Dongho in there to get him ready and there wouldn’t be time.

                She finished taking her shower and checked her phone. She had texts from both Soohyun and Kiseop. Soohyun had sent out a mass text saying the info for the airport in the morning. Kiseop had texted her “It’s getting late. Rest up for tomorrow! ~Seop Night!!<3” She laughed and texted back. “Good night.”

                At 6:30 her alarm went off. She rolled over and turned it off and sleepily walked to the kitchen and saw that there were two plates with toast on them with a glass of milk next to one and a Red Bull next to the other. She grabbed the Red Bull and opened it and drank half of it. She walked back up the stairs towards Dongho’s room. She opened the door as loudly as she could and kicked his bed. “Dongho!!! Get up!!!” The younger boy just groaned and rolled over and covered his head with his blanket.

                Sage grabbed one of his teddy bears and started beating him with it. “Wake up and take a shower!!” Dongho just curled up even more and his ended up sticking up in the air. She laughed and drank the rest of her Red Bull. She kicked him in the and pushed him off the bed. “Get up and shower so you don’t arrive in Hawaii smelling like a Hobo….”

                He stood up grumpily and started walking towards the bathroom with his blanket still over his head. She grabbed it and threw it back on his bed as Dongho made his way to the bathroom.

                Sage got dressed and brushed her hair. She went into the kitchen to brush her teeth. She had grabbed her toothbrush the night before. She brought her bags down stairs and had them waiting by the door. Her parents had both left for work already. She started eating her plate of toast she heard the water turn off. Dongho quickly scurried across the hallway at the top of the stairs with only a towel around his waist.

                It was already 15 after 7 and Kevin texted her saying he was on his way. “Dongho!! Kevin is on his way! Hurry up and come down here before I eat your toast!!” Dongho came running down the stairs dragging his suitcase behind him and left it in the middle of the living room as he came into the kitchen. His shirt was only on one arm and was gathered on his other shoulder. His hair was still wet and messy. He gulped down half of his milk and both pieces of toast. “Now you won’t eat them!” Sage laughed. “I wasn’t really going to eat them in the first place. Put your shirt the rest of the way on.”

                Dongho was wearing a pair of shorts that had a couple holes in the legs and had put on a white t-shirt. He put on a pair of socks and a pair of high top sneakers. He grinned, very happy with his outfit. He examined his older sister while eating his toast. She had a pair of tight jean shorts that went down to her knees, with a black tank top and a zip up black hooded vest with green and purple faded print on it. He smiled and put her hood on her. “Not bad. I see you are trying to look good.”

                She made a fake grumpy face at him and pretended to kick him. Kevin had arrived and knocked at the door.  Dongho quickly ran to his room as Sage went to open the door. She smiled as Kevin came inside. He was wearing a pair of skinny jeans with tears in them and a thin white button up long sleeve shirt. She could see the outline of a white tank top underneath it. “Good morning! Where’s Dongho?” Kevin asked as he looked around. Sage grabbed her carryon bag and looked up the stairs. “He probably forgot something.”

                Kevin grabbed her suitcase as Dongho came running down the stairs and grabbed his own suitcase. He smiled. “I’m all ready to go to Hawaii!!”

                They quickly arrived at the airport and Soohyun and Kiseop were already waiting inside the terminal. Soohyun handed everyone their tickets and Kiseop started complaining when he was sitting in a window seat next to Soohyun.

                They boarded their flight at 9am and Sage ended up getting seated behind Kiseop with Kevin next to her. Dongho was sitting next to a 6 year old boy. Dongho kept asking the little boy about his game for the entire 5 and a half hour flight.

                Kevin and Sage were listening to Sage’s iPhone because Kevin’s had died at the airport. They were talking about one of the songs comfortably when the stewardess came over to them. “Oh, you two look so cute! You must be going to Hawaii for your honeymoon! Would you like anything to drink?” Kevin and Sage both looked at the lady shocked. Kiseop turned around and pouted at the lady, causing her to blush. “They aren’t married!! They are only friends…” Soohyun laughed and covered his face.

                Kiseop finally saw that they were sharing headphones and looked at Kevin with his puppy face. “You are only friends right?” Sage sighed and put her hood back up and stared out the window as Kevin tried to cheer up Kiseop. The stewardess just looked at Sage with a judging look on her face. Sage smiled back awkwardly. The lady sighed and mumbled under her breath.

                Soohyun suddenly burst out laughing. Sage, Kiseop and Kevin all looked at him confused. He waited till the woman had gotten out of ears reach and turned to face everyone. “That stewardess said that she was jealous of Sage for being surrounded by us.” They all started laughing. Sage rubbed the back of her neck. “She can have you guys if she wants.” Kevin and Soohyun kept laughing. Kiseop just sighed and sat back in his seat.

                Soohyun patted Kiseop on the shoulder. “Maybe you will find a girl in Hawaii. One who likes you back?” Kiseop sighed and leaned on Soohyun’s shoulder. “I’m using you as a pillow.” Soohyun laughed and nodded and went back to playing on his phone.

                Their plane landed and because of time zones, it was only 11:45am. The five of them were waiting for their bags to come through to the claim. Dongho was sitting on the floor leaning against Kevin’s leg. He was complaining of being hungry. Sage had put her hood on and Kiseop was resting his chin on top of her head. Soohyun was looking around.

                Suddenly they heard a low voice call out “HEY!! Soohyun!!! You made it!!” Everyone turned towards the voice. A very tall attractive Asian with wavy orange hair was waving excitedly. He was being followed by an equally attractive Asian with short blonde hair. Sage sighed; she wasn’t prepared to see all these attractive boys on the beach, let alone have to talk to them.

                Soohyun’s face lit up. “AJ!! Hoon!! I’m glad to see you!” The tallest boy suddenly hugged Soohyun and looked over to everyone else. “Are these your friends?” Soohyun smiled as he hugged the blonde boy. “Yeah. Guys, that tall loud one is AJ. This one is Hoon.” He said as he kept his arm around Hoon’s shoulders. AJ was already greeting Kevin and Dongho. Sage realized that Kiseop still hadn’t removed his chin from the top of her head.

                AJ smiled and held his hand out to her. “So are you two dating?” Sage stepped to the side and Kiseop fell forwards a little. “No, I’m not dating any of them.” She sighed. “Everyone keeps asking me that today…” AJ laughed and shook her hand. “Well, welcome to Hawaii!”