Final ; 01

Thank You for Being Born

Park Jimin, though is not a hopeless romantic nor is he a clueless one either, has never felt a more sincere taste of love.

Over the 20 years he's spent walking on this very earth, never in those years has he felt a taste of love as sincere and kind as what he's been experiencing these days. It was thanks to "her", of course. The moment she walked into his life, he could never imagine a day without her; without her laugh, without her voice, without the warm affection she gives him. He finds himself thinking about her at night, worrying about her when she's ill and caring for her when she's down. 

"She is everything I need", he says.

People fall in love in mysterious ways and how Park Jimin came to fall in love with the campus deity, only God will know. There is just one name that can make his heart race. "Park Chorong", he says with his ears catching a hot red hue and his palms emitting rivers of sweat. She was the one that became his sunshine, his only sunshine. The way the two love each other makes everyone in their campus envious. How the boy treats the girl, how the girl takes care of the boy, how they have that chemistry; the look the two give each other, the look of true love. Everyone describes them as the epitome of love, much to the couple's dismay and protest. Though she is 4 years his senior, Park Jimin labels himself the man of no regrets and will never regret meeting her, simply because it's her.

She will always be there to make him happy when skies are grey. He will always find himself fall harder for her every single passing day.

~~~~~

15:45, March 3rd, 2015, it read on Jimin's phone. He sighed as he sat down on his bed and opened up his text messages. One from his brother, one from his mother, one from his father, and the list went on. After skimming through the massive sea of text messages he just received, he called his close friend. "The alien from outer space who happens to be my best friend, Kim Taehyung", was what he would always describe his close friend as.

"Hey, Taehyung, do you have any plans for the night?" He says as he ruffled his own hair a bit.

For some reason, he hears his friend sigh on the other end of the phone.

"You idiot, don't you remember what date it is? March 3rd. Do you not remember who was born on March 3rd?"

"No, why? Give me a hint, please!"

"Well, I'll give you just one. That person is your dear Chorong."

"Um, that wasn't a hint and how come you didn't tell me before that it's Chorong's birthday?"

"Hey, she's not my girlfriend. Though, I used to wish that. See you later, bro bean. Good luck."


With that, his dear friend from outer space hung up, leaving Jimin to panic about the matter alone. He considered himself an idiot for forgetting her birthday. She'll never forgive me if I tell her I forgot her birthday, I'll never see the light of day, he thought as he ruffled his hair in frustration. Jimin knew he had his work cut out for him if he was going to arrange a surprise for the love of his life.

~~~~~

"Okay, so everything's ready." Jimin said to himself as he checked everything. 19:31,  March 3rd, 2015, it read on his phone. He wiped off the beads of sweat on his forehead. He himself couldn't believe that he had put this surprise in short time and on short notice as well. He had turn the rooftop of his apartment building into something he knows Chorong would love. He had set out lights around the steel railings that would light up with his command, cooked up a pretty decent meal as he knows Chorong appreciates anything he cooks and set them down on a picnic table, and even installed a few soft background songs in the process. But the real surprise would be the cake. A three layered chocolate cake covered with decorations and a "24" candle in the middle. Jimin couldn't possibly wait to see the look on her face when she sees this. Would she be surprised? Happy? Moved? He doesn't know, but he will found out very soon.

He hears the sound of footsteps coming up the stairs. Jimin tried to stay calm and hid away. He made sure that the cake wasn't anywhere near her range of sight, he needed that surprise to be revealed the last. He hears a sweet voice mumble to herself. "What's this? Should I just call him?", he heard her mumble to herself. Jimin smiled. Her voice was always the best music to his ears. He hears her sigh as she found out that he wasn't answering her call. It was a good thing that he turned off his phone to conserve battery or else, everything would ruined. At his command, the lights lit up. He heard her getting startled in the process, getting him to smile at her silly antics. Even at times like this, she can always make me laugh at her antics, he thought as he slowly yet quietly stood up from his previous hiding position. 

Gently, he walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her not-so-petite waist. He smiled as he inhaled the scent of her perfume. The girl looked up behind her to see the owner of the arms that were tightly wrapped around her waist. She let out a sigh of relief and smiled. Oh, how his heart nearly melt at the sight of it. How he even survived that, he doesn't know.

"Oh, it's just you."

"Just me, huh? I feel sad"
he said as he pouted, she always gave in to him whenever he pouted.

"No, I mean...what if it was a kidnapper or a or even---"

The girl didn't have time to finish her sentence as the boy captured the girl's lips. For the two, it felt as though the world stopped for a second. The boy released the girl's lips and smiled. The girl decided to release herself from the boy's embrace, now facing face-to-face with him, just inches away from each other.

"You. It's always been you, Park Chorong." He said as he intertwined his fingers with hers and looked deeply into her eyes. The girl felt the courage and looked at him back. This moment, this moment is what I live for, she thought as she felt her palms sweating in his.

"You know, Park Jimin, ever since I met you, no one else is worth thinking about." She said as she leaned forward and rested her forehead on his chest. She enjoys doing this when she's stressed. His heart beat reminds her of a song she enjoys and calms her down through any hard times. The boy took her in his embrace and the two wrap each other's arms around each other. 

"Happy birthday"

"Thank you, Jimin, I feel a lot better hearing that from you. Thank you."

"No, thank you for being born.  Thank you for loving me and for that, I love you. Park Chorong, you're my everything. You are all I need. From the moment you entered my world, I could never imagine life without you. Even after ten years passed, it'll be like only one day has passed. Trust me and believe me when I say that I will never change. I'll make your heart race every day, I promise."


With that, Jimin felt tear drops stain his clothes. He caressed her hair and saw her smiling. Could it be that she was moved by his declaration of love to the point of tears? He thinks that way, but he would rather not say. Right now, he was beyond happy; it was like a soft breeze of bliss passed by him.

"Wow, did you memorize that or did you make that up on the spot?" She said, trying to wipe her tears away. Seeing this as an opportunity, Jimin held her chin and wiped her some of her tears away. He leaned in a bit further and once again captured her lips. At this moment, fireworks were being launched up into the night sky and that had startled the two.

"I have to admit, I didn't do that." Jimin said looking at her. The two laughed and held each other's hands.

"Taehyung" The two said in unison. Only someone like Taehyung would do this, the two were sure of it.

The two stood by each other with Chorong leaning on to his shoulder a bit, enjoying the fireworks display right in front of their eyes.  

And in that moment, I swear we were infinite, Chorong thought as she looked up at the sky and then at Jimin.