I Can Help

Your Wingman

p r e s e n t

It all started when Jiyong made a wrong choice in a club and ended up sitting beside a man named Lee Seunghyun instead of Choi Seunghyun as he was originally planned.

That night he was promised to be introduced to Choi Seunghyun, the young CEO and the rightful heir of ChoiCe Music as his gateway to become a professional musician, but he followed the wrong direction and ended up sitting beside Lee Seunghyun. The most disappointing was not the fact that he met Lee Seunghyun, but that he had prepared for days for the fateful meeting and even brought a demo CD with him in case Choi Seunghyun wanted to listen. But of course, he just had to be given a very simple and not helping instruction and ended up sitting beside another man named Seunghyun.

 

 

<

“This demo is dope,” Youngbae clapped his hands twice, “you have to meet Choi Seunghyun and give this to him. He’s going to love this, man.”

“Thanks,” Jiyong grinned. “But who’s Choi Seunghyun?”

“My new boss and the rightful heir of ChoiCe Music, of course! His father is retiring soon and he is taking over the company. He’s been recruiting new artists and they’re mostly specializing in hip hop and R&B. And damn, you’re really great! So you really have to meet him. I swear to god he’s going to love this.”

Jiyong grinned and nodded excitedly, “Well okay, that sounds good. I’d like to meet him.”

“Awesome,” Youngbae shouted excitedly and jumped on his feet. “Come to company party as me this Saturday and go talk to him. Bring your demo too.”

“Wait, wait. How should I prepare myself?”

“Just wear some suits and, I don’t know, act polite? He’s going to be your boss too if you nail it.”

“Dude, I’m polite all the time.”

“Yeah right,” Youngbae waved his hand dismissively and walked away. “Just prepare yourself well.”

 

 

>>f a s t f o r w a r d 2x

“Okay, listen to me well. According to Daesung, Choi Seunghyun is sitting on the round sofa and he’s alone playing with his phone. So it’s your best chance to talk to him. Good luck.”

Jiyong didn’t get a chance to reply as the call was ended as soon as Youngbae done talking. Grumbling to the phone and cursing Youngbae in his mind, Jiyong walked to the center of the club and praying to find Choi Seunghyun with such limited information. He hoped he wouldn’t meet a wrong person or else he’d be very, very embarrassed and disappointed.

Looking around the club, he soon found the three round sofas that were all filled. The first one was filled with a man and a group of women, the second one was filled with two young men, and the third one was a young man sitting alone, busy with his phone. Bingo, he thought, and he walked confidently to the third sofa.

“You must be Seunghyun,” Jiyong had said confidently and offered his hand for a handshake. “I’m Jiyong.”

“Uh, yes,” Seunghyun looked up and chuckled awkwardly. “I’m usually called Seungri though. But, yeah, nice meeting you… I guess. Uh, please have a seat.”

“Thanks and ah, you must be confused,” Jiyong grinned lopsidedly and fixed his suit. He ignored the way Seungri was openly and confusedly staring at him. That was normal since they didn’t know each other... yet. “About how I knew you, I mean. You must be confused. Well, I heard about you from a friend. He worked for you and he said you’re a great—”

“Oh, your friend works at ChoiCe Music too?”

“Yes, yes,” Jiyong nodded excitedly, “he works there. He works as the music producer. His name is Youngbae, in case you’re wondering.”

“Ah, I know him. He’s a great music producer. Where is he tonight?”

“Uh,” Jiyong smiled, “he’s... sick. So he gave me his invitation as it’s would be a waste if I, him, uh I mean no one attends.”

Seungri laughed and offered Jiyong a glass of champagne. “You seem interesting and very nervous. Here, please have a drink.”

“Thanks,” Jiyong chuckled awkwardly and downed the champagne in one shot. “That’s refreshing… and probably not the right way to drink such fine champagne. Ha-ha.”

Seungri burst out laughing and immediately refilled Jiyong’s glass. “Drink slowly,” he said, “and tell me more about yourself. How did you find me?”

“Well,” Jiyong paused, unsure. “I actually came here because I wanted to meet you. I, uh, I heard that you’re the new CEO of ChoiCe Music and my friend suggested that I—”

“Wait, wait, what did you say?”

“I haven’t even finished talking,” Jiyong frowned. “Well, my friend suggested—”

“No, no. Did you say I’m the new CEO of ChoiCe Music?”

“Uh… yes?” Jiyong smiled, confused. “Aren’t you Choi Seunghyun?”

“Oh my god,” Seungri gaped and before Jiyong could say anything, he laughed out loud and rolled over the sofa, clutching his stomach and trying to hold back his laughter. “Oh god you actually thought I’m Choi Seunghyun.”

“Wait, what? You’re not Choi Seunghyun?”

“No, I’m not.” Seungri laughed again and when he managed to control his laughter he said, “I am Seunghyun but not Choi Seunghyun. I’m Lee Seunghyun. I’m sorry you got the wrong person.”

“Oh my god,” Jiyong looked down and suppressed an embarrassed sigh. “, I thought you’re Choi Seunghyun. God, I’m sorry, this is so embarrassing.”

“No, no, that’s okay.” Seungri chuckled and poured more champagne into Jiyong’s glass. “It was my fault too for misleading you like this. I should have told you I’m Lee Seunghyun.”

“No, it wasn’t your fault. It was my friend’s. He gave me such misleading instruction and you were sitting alone, god, I should have asked your name first.”

Seungri chuckled. “That’s okay. I was surprised too when you approached me but hey, at least now I have a company. And in case you’re wondering, I work at ChoiCe Music too and Choi Seunghyun is my boss. I’m a new singer by the way, I just debuted last month.”

“Oh, that’s cool. R&B singer?” Jiyong sipped his champagne and Seungri nodded. “Where’s Choi Seunghyun anyway? Is he even here?”

“He was here,” Seungri chuckled. “He was sitting here with me but right before you arrived he moved to the next table and his boyfriend joined him not long after.” Seungri looked at the next table and sipped his drink. “And now he’s gone. Better luck next time.”

“Ha-ha, yeah,” Jiyong chuckled lifelessly and sipped his drink. “Here’s to coming here for nothing.”

“Whoa I’m hurt,” Seungri faked a shocked gasp. “You’re making a new friend and you said it’s for nothing? I’m deeply offended.”

“No, not like that,” Jiyong laughed. “I’m glad I’m making a new friend with a singer but what I’m saying was—”

“It’s okay,” Seungri laughed, “I get it. Here, have more drinks and talk to Choi Seunghyun at the company on Monday. He’s very friendly.”

“Hmm, okay,” Jiyong smiled. “Here’s to our new friendship?”

Seungri laughed out loud again. “Okay, okay. Here’s to our new friendship.”

 

 

p r e s e n t

Jiyong didn’t meet Choi Seunghyun that night but he met Lee Seunghyun and they became friends ever since. They remained close until today and Lee Seunghyun was the one to help him meeting Choi Seunghyun after the incident. In the end Youngbae wasn’t much of a help but he was glad that he was introduced to the industry by Youngbae and eventually made it into the industry. He even surpassed Seungri’s popularity and became known as one of the most influential musicians under 30 years old.

But he’s facing a big trouble now and Seungri is just always late when he’s supposed to help. Jiyong wonders why he puts up with Seungri’s tardiness for years when he can’t even wait for his mother when they’re walking out the park. Seungri is lucky, he thinks, for not having to face his wrath when he’s (always) late.

Jiyong presses his lips into a thin line and raps his knuckles on the desk rapidly. The lyrics are not working together, and he wonders why. It’s supposed to be an easy task from his boss, but he can never write his lyrics without Seungri around. He’s often envious with Seungri’s lyrical ability. He’s always so good at writing stuff.

“Ji-hyung, sorry I’m late,” Seungri says by the door and waves two boxes of mandu with a lopsided grin. “I’m late because I stopped by Madam Yang’s to buy you these delicious mandu.”

“Like I’d believe that,” Jiyong says, but accepts the boxes of mandu anyway. “But I’ll let you slide again because I’m fond of you. You’re lucky.”

“I know,” Seungri laughs and sits on the chair next to Jiyong, leaning close. “How are the lyrics going?”

“Not good,” Jiyong sighs, and pushes the paper to Seungri, asking for help. “The lyrics are just not working together. I’ve tried adding, erasing, and even asking for Seung-hyung’s help but it’s still not good. Still not how I want it to be.”

“Hmm, let me see,” Seungri says, scanning the paper. After a minute, which is longer than he usually needed, he says, “Uh, I don’t know, I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s already good.”

“Nothing’s wrong?” Jiyong asks, incredulous. He snatches the paper from Seungri’s hand “Are you sure? I don’t think so, though.”

“Well, I don’t know,” Seungri says with his eyes downcast. “I don’t think I can help you today, hyung. Sorry.”

Jiyong stares and searches for any hints of lie from Seungri, but he can’t find any. “Wow you’re not lying. What happened? Are you alright?”

“No, I’m not,” Seungri sighs and leans back on his chair. “My father is on his death bed and his last wish is to see me getting married. And I told him that I’m not interested in women but he said he doesn’t care. He just wishes to see me getting married. The worst part is I don’t even have a boyfriend!”

“Calm down,” Jiyong pats Seungri’s back and chuckles silently. “You know, I can always help you to find a boyfriend. I can be your wingman.”

“My wingman? What’s a wingman?”

“You don’t know?”

Seungri shakes his head and sits a little straighter, seems to be excited to learn something new. It makes Jiyong markedly less sure about his own idea. He purses his lips before saying, “Well, a wingman is someone who helps you to find, to get, the girl. Uh, I mean a guy, in your case.”

“I still don’t understand…”

“A Wingman is a guy you bring along with you on singles outings, like to bars for example, who helps you out with the women… men. So I’ll help you. For example we meet two guys in a bar. You like one of them, and in order to help you I’ll keep the other one occupied while you talk with the guy you like.”

“Oh, I understand now,” Seungri says, a little bit less excited than before but he quickly hides it with a smile. “So, are we going out to the bar tonight?”

 

 

 

A/N: First of all thank you for subscribing and upvoting!!! I'm so touched. Anyway I wanted to upload this yesterday but I wasn't really happy about it (still not happy about the outcome, hmph)... but I hope you like this and looking forward for the next chapter. This story will contain some drama, some angst... you know, the usual romcom :)) lastly, if you want to talk to me you can reach me through KakaoTalk by adding my ID frichiela. Until next time and stay cute, everyone! <3