Safe and Sound

Safe and Sound

WOOHYUN

Our quick steps on crumbling rocks broke the silent in the ruin of what we use to call home. The building that was once the Town Hall is now a pile of debris. The bakery where we buy all our sweet with the old lady, who alway sneak candies for us when our parents are not looking, is not longer there. The house where we once call home is shatter like our hope for the future. Yet we still struggle to get by. From wild, possibly poisonous, berries to sometime, if we're lucky, a death animal we can cook up. 

"Woohyun, I can't run anymore," Sunggyu held back the tears that threaten to fall. 

We're ranning away from a group of soldiers from the other countries. They're capturing every living person they could find, probably selling them into slavery. Our lives might not mean anything to them. 

"We're almost there hyung, just a little further," I replied to him.

Looking at those souless eyes, it remind of the last time I saw life in them. I remember the tear steaming down his beautiful face when I said "I'll never let you go". His family had just been kill in front of him. I was lucky enough to take him away before the men found him. When all those shadow almost kill his light, I promise I'll protect him and be his guiding light. From that day fore, I stay by his side and he stay by mine. 

"Get in here," I open a broken door to a half-destroy house. "We stay here for the time being."

"Woohyun, I'm scare," He held my hand.

"Don't worry, I'll protect you."

"Don't leave me here alone," He whisper.

"I won't, go to sleep," I gently his hair. "You need you sleep."

I hum a lullaby for Sunggyu, a familiar tune that his mother alway hum to help him sleep. I listen to it enough from him to learn it. We lay there in silent, shivering from the coldness. Only a piece of ripped up blanket cover half of our body. We can't even make a fire because they will spot it out of the dark night. The sun had just gone down.

"The nightmare might come back," He said silently. "I don't want it to come."

"Just held onto me," I whisper back. "Just close your eyes, the sun is going down."

He scoop closer to me as I wrap me around around his fragile shoulder. Footsteps of people can be heard outside and flashes of lights went pass the broken window above us. 

"I thought I saw some kids ran in here," A men voice ring through the silent.

"Must of been because you're hungry," Another said back. "Let go grab some grubs."

At the mention of foods, my stomach growl. I haven't eat for a day, but I was able to keep Sunggyu full. We food some foods a while ago, but at the cost of tthe soldiers spotting us. 

Sunggyun stirred a little, must be a nightmare. I held his hand and his soft hair.

"You be alright," I whisper. "No one can hurt you now."

"How can you be so sure?"

"When morning come, you and I will be safe and sound."

We stay quiet again until Sunggyu speak softly.

"I'm worry about all the other kids who doesn't have someone like you with them," He said in a worried tone.

"Don't worry," I answer. "All that's dead and gone will pass tonight."

"I hope so, I can't live like this anymore," Sunggyu sat up. "I'm so tire."

"Don't you dare look out the window," I hug him tightly. "The war outside our door keep raging on."

A flash of light went pass our window as I pull him down. Footstpes come near and our heartbeat quicken, but luckily they left after a while. Sound of burning crackles could be heard as the red and yellow light pour through the window now. At least it provide us some warm so we don't freeze to death.

"I wonder if heaven is this warm," Sunggyu commented.

"Maybe, lets one day go there together," I smile and kiss him. "Just close your eyes, it'll be alright. Come morning light, we'll be alright."

Sunggyu lay his head on my shoulder.

"Hold on to this lullaby," I whisper. "Even when music is gone."

I remember tears streaming down your face
When I said, "I'll never let you go"
When all those shadows almost killed your light
I remember you said, "Don't leave me here alone"
But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight

Just close your eyes
The sun is going down
You'll be alright
No one can hurt you now
Come morning light
You and I'll be safe and sound

Don't you dare look out your window, darling,
Everything's on fire
The war outside our door keeps raging on
Hold on to this lullaby
Even when music's gone
Gone

Just close your eyes
The sun is going down
You'll be alright
No one can hurt you now
Come morning light
You and I'll be safe and sound

Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh
Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh
La La (La La)
La La (La La)
Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh
Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh
La La (La La)

Just close your eyes
You'll be alright
Come morning light,
You and I'll be safe and sound...

Oooh, oooh, oooh, oooh oh oh

The light from the fire die down, replace by the comforting sunlight. The peaceful morning was a lie, a facade. We all know what today is. What the big countries will be doing to our little country in a few second. Yet, we do not fear or flee from it. We enbrace it, because it is our way to find true peace. To be with family and friends. to be with love one. Both Sunggyu and I, as well as many other people all over the lands, know what today is. 

The sound of a jet plane shot straight over our head. From far away, we hear it drop. Silent follow the last few seconds before the last sound was hear. I hug Sunggyu tightly as I feel his tear stream down his face, against my cheek.

"Just close your eyes, it'll be alright. Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound."

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wowie! That sure got all my sad feeling out. Hope you like it. I don't do a lot of fics with death in it. In fact, I think this is my first one. My writing is really diverse and, hopefully, unique. Anyway, comment if you'll confuse, if you like or hate it, or just because.

FIGHTING!!!