CH 06

Immortals

“Baby, you’re crazy.” Sungyeol blinked at his boyfriend in disbelief. Confusion didn’t even begin to cover the emotions he felt at the moment. Did Myungsoo just suggest to run away again? In the midst of all the chaos outside their window?

Myungsoo shook his head defiantly. “I swear, I’m not,” he retorted defensively. “I think we can actually make it.”

Rolling his eyes, Sungyeol stated, “It’s impossible. We’d never, ever make it past the guards. Even if we did, what would we do? Escape past the wall? Then what – live in a desert of waste?”

Myungsoo hushed him gently, putting a stop to his incessant questioning. He ran his fingers lovingly through his boyfriend’s chocolate brown hair. “You don’t need to worry about it,” he said. “I can do all the work. Just listen to me when I say to, okay?”

“What about my family?” Sungyeol inquired almost impatiently. “How could I leave them?”

“I’ll give you time to say good-bye to them. Don’t worry about it,” he repeated.

Biting his lower lips, Sungyeol cast his gaze sharply to the side. “Even if I agreed to run with you… how would we live? Do we just live outside the walls and listen to the craziness inside?”

“No, we’ll live the way you wanted – you and me with the world at our fingertips.”

“Myungsoo–”

“I can make it happen, baby, I swear.”

“Myungsoo, I just don’t know!” Sungyeol exclaimed breathlessly. “I’m not sure of anything at the moment, I won’t be able to give you a straight answer!” His hands tangled in his hair as he bit his lips. “I just–“

“Hey, hey,” Myungsoo hushed quietly. He took his boyfriend’s hands and directed him over to his bed. “You don’t need to give me a straight answer.” Straightening, Sungyeol’s hair, he whispered, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to seem like I was forcing an answer out of you. Take your time, okay?”

“It’s not your fault,” Sungyeol reassured. “There’s just so much going on right now for me – the restaurant, my family and the rebels… There’s too much on my mind. I don’t know how could figure anything out for me to leave.”

Myungsoo sat still, staring at him for a few moments. The sound of yelling outside drowned their silence and enveloped them. “What if I told you,” Myungsoo began slowly, “that I would take care of everything?” Sungyeol scrunched his eyebrows in confusion. “Babe, you’d only have to go on with what you’re doing. Just go about life normally. I’ll make all the arrangements, okay? I’ll be able to do everything.”

“Myungsoo, are you sure–”

“Yeol, I’m positive. I can make everything happen. I’ll be like that fairy you read about and go around and make it so that you can leave with me.”

Sungyeol was silent, a small pout defining his lips. He let out a short sigh. “I guess there’s no stopping you. I don’t have any objections…”

“Perfect.” Myungsoo grinned and pecked his cheek affectionately. “You won’t have to do anything! I will, okay? I’ll try not to stress you out with any of this stuff.”

A small smile graced Sungyeol’s face as he whispered, “You know, Puck was the fairy that messed everything up, right?”

“Way to ruin the whole fairy thing, babe,” Myungsoo laughed.

Their conversation filtered out after that. Few words were exchanged as they lay down together in silence. It wasn’t long before they both closed their eyes and fell asleep to the sounds of the chaos outside. But the chaos would cease shortly.

 

 

 

 

 

Woohyun and Sunggyu had been sitting together in Sunggyu’s small home. The younger had come over with an offer to cook and there was no way that Sunggyu would refuse. Plus, with his mother bedridden, Woohyun’s cooking was something sent from heaven for her.

In a way, Woohyun seemed to be something sent from heaven in general. He was so kind and willing to help Sunggyu with all of his needs. Of course, there were times when Woohyun couldn’t make because of ‘prior appointments’ but whenever he came, his tiny apartment seemed to light up. It was one of the reasons why Sunggyu loved him. He loved him a lot.

“Your soup is really good today,” Sunggyu said softly as he smiled at Woohyun.

Woohyun smiled back at him softly from across the tiny dining table as he stirred the soup around with his spoon. “It’s alright,” he whispered. “It could be better.”

Sunggyu replied, “Of course not. Nothing is better than your cooking. My mom loves it, Woohyun.”

With a slight blush, Woohyun grinned a little wider. “Thanks, babe.

“Anyways,” Sunggyu continued with a little more excitement. “Remember when I asked you to meet me at night?” Woohyun nodded. “Well, since you’re here I might as well just tell you now.”

Woohyun’s gaze followed Sunggyu’s figure as he got up from his chair and walked out of the small dining room. He heard a few scuffling noises before Sunggyu returned with an envelope in his hands. Smiling at it, he sat down again and pushed the envelop towards Woohyun proudly.

“Open it,” he encouraged.

Woohyun picked up the envelope gingerly, the feeling of such stiff, scented paper foreign to his hands. A few more whiffs of obnoxious perfume came out of the flap as Woohyun opened it. It was weird seeing and smelling something so fancy. His hands had never touched something so regal before.

Sunggyu’s grin was filled with pride as Woohyun pulled out a small certificate. “Read it,” he said.

Dear Captain Kim Sunggyu,” Woohyun read to himself, “we are pleased to inform you that you are being promoted from your position as captain and will be moved to the Capital Building…” Woohyun’s eyes grew wide. “Wait–… Capital Building?! Sunggyu, that’s–“

“I know!” Sunggyu interjected excitedly. “Woohyun, I can finally take you and my mom to live in the Capital Building. Isn’t that great?”

“Baby, that’s amazing,” Woohyun replied excitedly. “Isn’t it… a little quick though? When are you moving?”

“We’re going to move after the awards ceremony, Woohyun. I want to invite you to stand on stage with me when I receive my promotion. How does that sound?”

“Gyu, that sounds wonderful, but–”

“After that nasty rebellion today, I’m excited to get out of here, aren’t you?”

Woohyun bit his cheek because that rebellion was not in any of his plans. It took all of his willpower to it up and not talk about it. He was sure that if he began talking about the rebellion and Hoya, he would give himself away as their leader. He didn’t want to do that now, not when Sunggyu was excited.

“Hyung, that rebellion wasn’t that big, was it?” he asked anyways.

Sunggyu narrowed his eyes and shook his head. “I lost seven men out there today. It was brutal.”

“It was?”

“Yeah. None of us were prepared for what was coming today.” The captain let out a heaving sigh. “My leg is still injured but I’ll make it.”

Woohyun glanced down at his boyfriend’s leg and the gauze wrapped around his shins. “I’m glad you made it out safe.”

Sunggyu grinned. “I’m glad you came over. It’s very comforting to know that I have someone who can cook and care for me.”

“I’m surprised you didn’t stay longer with your men,” Woohyun chuckled lightly.

“No, I’m taking it easy now,” Sunggyu laughed. “I’m going to be leaving next week so I’m leaving tasks to my second in command.”

“Oh, I see.” Woohyun thought to himself quietly after that. He wondered if he was going to leave with Sunggyu and whether or not that would mean Hoya would be left in charge. But no – this rebellion was his responsibility. His men’s safety was his responsibility. It was a prideful responsibility given to him by Sunwoong. He and Hoya may have had differences in approach, but when it came to their end goal, their sentiments were parallel. As long as they had the same goals at heart, Woohyun would still lead.

“Woohyun?”

“Oh, wha–? Hm?” He shook his head and forced himself back into reality. “Yes?”

“You looked like you were zoning out there,” Sunggyu chuckled. “You’ve been doing that a lot lately. You alright?”

“I’m fine, I’m fine,” Woohyun reassured gently. “It’s just… no, it’s nothing. Never mind.”

“Are you sure, hon? You’ve been different lately.” Sunggyu leaned over to rest the back of his palm on Woohyun’s forehead. “You’re not getting sick, are you?”

“No, no, I’m not sick.” He swatted the hand away softly. “I guess I just have a lot to think about now.”

“I understand. Just don’t think too hard, okay? You don’t need to do that.”

Woohyun smiled back. “No problem, Gyu. I won’t do too much thinking. Not when I have you to occupy my thoughts.”

The laugh Sunggyu let out was loud and hollow. “Thanks, baby. Good to know.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Lee Howon, what is that?!”

Hoya grinned wider than ever, his canines glinting in the bright lighting of the headquarters. “Don’t worry, Dongwoo. It’s just a scratch.”

All of the men that Dongwoo had seen leave earlier that day had all returned in one piece. Most of them were even unscathed per Dongwoo’s request. It was like a dream. They had gone out and struck the enemy and gained a victory for the rebels; yet, they were still here as one whole group. No one was dead or fatally hurt.

“Hoya, but what happened?” Dongwoo questioned. His heartbeat quickened as if he were about to panic. He wanted to panic but Hoya seemed so happy, he just couldn’t.

“We won is what happened,” Hoya said proudly. “Dongwoo you should have seen us out there! It was amazing! Those guards didn’t know what hit them!”

Dongwoo calmed him down with a firm grasp on Hoya’s arm. “I know – that’s great. Just explain to me how that giant gash got on your forehead.”

“Oh, that?” Hoya laughed and touched the long red line on his forehead gingerly. “I got that from ducking too slowly.”

Dongwoo shook his head. “Of course you did.” But he smiled. “Come on, I’ll patch it up for you.” He took Hoya by the hand and started leading him towards the leader’s office.

“You don’t need to,” Hoya said as he followed reluctantly. “I can probably fix myself up, you know.”

“I know. But I also said that if any of your men got hurt, you would have to report to me. And since you clearly got hurt, you’re going to have to stick with me until I’m satisfied.”

Hoya smiled cheekily. “I can handle that.”

Hoya seemed different after this spontaneous attack. He seemed so much more lighthearted as if he was having… fun. His smile was more familiar. It was as if getting out and doing what he wanted to do lifted some weight from his shoulders and some darkness from his eyes. It was weird seeing Hoya like this. It was the Hoya that Dongwoo had first fallen in love with. The sudden way he started smiling and the way his eyes twinkled seemed like a brief temptation. He was happy in the moment. Dongwoo wanted to do nothing more than to hug him for coming back safely, but he knew better than to cross certain lines. Even if Hoya’s canine teeth were prominent in the large grin he sported, they were still broken up.

“Sit down,” Dongwoo directed, “I’ll get the first aid kit.”

Hoya sat down in a foldable, metal chair right next to the map of the city. He looked down at the map in triumph. “Dongwoo, do you have a marker?” he asked.

Dongwoo turned around from the small storage closet with a first aid kit in his arms. “Marker?”

“Yeah, is there one in the storage?”

“Lucky for you – yeah, there is.” Dongwoo tossed it to Hoya, who caught it with ease. “What do you need it for?”

“I’m going to mark our first victory,” he stated. Leaning over the map, he drew a giant ‘X’ over the area they had battled that day. “Look. We’ve regained the first part of our territory. Now we just need conquer all of the spots that guards manipulate and terrorize until we get to the core.”

Dongwoo fished out cotton swab from the kit and dabbled it in cleaning alcohol. “Core?” he asked offhandedly. “What’s the core, to you?”

Hoya snickered as if Dongwoo’s question had a clear answer. “The Capital Building, obviously. The building where the most rotten of guards go to relax and live luxuriously– ow!”

“Whoops, sorry,” Dongwoo chuckled. He dabbed the cut on Hoya’s forehead a little gentler. “Forgot to warn you that this was going to sting a little.”

Hoya winced visibly. “Ow! Hey, easy with that!”

“Sting a lot.”

The other could only snort and roll his eyes. “Just get it over with.”

“No worries,” Dongwoo replied with a grin, “I’ve practically finished. The worst of it is over, right?”

“I suppose.”

The small clicks of the first aid kit opening and closing filled the pause of silence between them as Dongwoo pulled out some bandages and tape. With ease, he taped a piece of gauze over the gash.

“There,” he said, giving it a final pat. “Should be all better now. Now you’ll have less pain when Woohyun comes to yell at you.”

Hoya cringed. “You think he’s going to come to yell at me?”

“Honestly, I would be surprised if he didn’t.”

“That’s true.”

But to their pleasant surprise, when Woohyun came back to the compound he was dazed by the kinetic energy flowing in the air. And to their pleasant surprise, Woohyun didn’t yell at Hoya at all. Dongwoo spent the rest of the afternoon with Hoya, talking.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Mom.”

Sunggyu’s mother smiled up wearily from the bed she lay on. “Evening, sweetie. Has Woohyun left?”

“Yeah.” Sunggyu sat down on the stool next to his mother’s bedside. “He left a little while ago.”

“He’s such a sweet boy,” she sighed. “Be good to him, hm?”

Sunggyu laughed. “Of course, mom.” He took her soft, wrinkling hands into his. “I’ll take good care of him. Forever.”

“I’m happy to hear that,” his mother whispered. “There will be someone to take care of you after I leave.”

“Mom, don’t say that.” Sunggyu frowned. “You’re not leaving.”

“It’s inevitable, baby. I’m going to go eventually. But thanks to all of your hard work, I’ll be able to live in the Capital Building for even a little bit.” She grinned, her smile lighting up her face gracefully. “But lucky for me, Woohyun will be here to take care of you. Isn’t that right?”

Biting his lip, Sunggyu nodded and responded. “Yeah. I think he will be there. Mom, I… I think Woohyun is the one.”

“Really? Is he now?” Her smile widened. “Woohyun is the boy my baby belongs with?”

“I think so.” He nodded surely. “I think he’s the one I want – the one I want to spend the rest of my life with.”

Sniffing with pride, his mother stated proudly, “Well, I can tell you that I approve. You have all my permission in the world to marry that boy.”

“Thanks, mom,” Sunggyu said gently with a smile. “That means a lot to me. It means so much.”

“Sunggyu, do your mother a favor and get me my jewelry box from my dresser.”

“Of course.”

Doing as he was told, he fetched the small lacquered box from the top drawer as his mother directed. He brought it back to her and placed it on his lap as he held her thin, bony hands again. But she slipped her hands out from his and opened the box, searching within its contents.

In seconds she pulled out a ring. It was silver and humbly studded with a diamond in the center. It may have been simple, but the simplicity spoke beautifully.

“Mom… this is–”

“This was my engagement ring, honey. I married your father with this ring and we were married for many, many years before he passed away. It was a beautiful marriage. I want you to propose to Woohyun with it. I think it’ll be lucky.” She smiled with certain cheekiness, despite her old age and ailing face.

The biggest of grins broke out onto Sunggyu’s face. “Mom, I–… I can’t thank you enough! I’ll use this to propose, I promise!”

“That’s perfect for your mother,” she chuckled. “When do you plan to do it?”

“Maybe three days… yeah, three more days.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Hey, Hoya.”

“Myungsoo…? What brings you here?”

“I need to ask you a favor.”

“Do you? I suppose…”

“It’s important, okay? It’s for something really important.”

“If it’s of that much importance then I’m sure I can do something for you.”

“You organize all these battles, right? You plan all these attacks.”

“Yes. Yes, of course.”

“Then I want to ask you organize one for Saturday. I need one for Saturday.”

“Saturday?”

“Saturday.”


 

 

( A/N );

hello loves~! here is another update, just for you! ^^

but things are getting more intense yesss? i think you may or may not enjoy where this is headed??? where do you think it’s going – leave me a comment :D

ok, i need to head off now!!! love you all

-- quinnie --

ask.fm | tumblr | twitter