Chapter 2

Team of The Shadows

Areum's POV:

Today’s graduation! Today’s the day when I, along with the rest of The Shadows, finds out just who actually made it to the elite group. Apparently to my understanding, there were many that were specially trained by specific mentors which reported back to the Director of our agency. It was him who chose who was to pass and who didn’t make the cut. But I think it really came down to luck as there are many spectacular people that were trained, or so I hear.

Everyone – well those that can actually attend the event without neglecting their duties – gathered in our auditorium for today. All of us trainees sat in our own little section dressed in our agency’s uniform. The agency is pretty lenient when it came to fashion and we’re allowed to wear whatever we want except well…dressing half and stuff, but we all have a uniform that we keep for special occasions. It was really funny seeing the contrast of the audience and us.

And now we wait for the Director’s arrival. To be honest I was really nervous and when everyone suddenly got quiet, my nervousness amplified. The Director took his place behind the podium and gave his opening speech. He said something funny to liven up the audience and then moved onto the rest of his speech. I didn’t really pay attention to any of it as I was mostly focusing on calming down my heart. I caught the eyes of Master Splinter and knowing me like the back of his hand he began motioning a breathing motion to help. It worked at first but then he began to get comical and I decided to stop looking or else I might burst out laughing. Soon everything went still in the room.

“There were many that went under rigorous training, and I thank you for all your hard work. If you were not selected, it’s not because you weren’t good enough but because someone was better suited. There is still work here for you to do, so do not get discouraged, you are very well still needed and wanted. I cannot bear the loss if any of you were to leave. After all, you are all now full-fledged agents,” the Director said. “And now I present to you the graduates. The ones that excelled most proficiently and the ones I think are fit for the elite team. Please hold all the applause until the end.” It almost felt like everyone was holding their breath.

“Gong Chanshik.”

A guy with nicely swept and fluffy hair made his way up the stage and stood a little way from the podium. I’ve never seen him before, even though we weren’t allowed to see each other, but catching a glimpse from time to time of the others I can’t recall ever seeing him.

“Park Areum.”

I froze, but then my body went on autopilot and made its way to the stage. I ended up standing beside the first member. Feeling the need to clasp my hands together, I firmly pressed them to my side to keep up with the formalities. Looking out to the made me feel better as I saw some familiar faces. So I’m the second member, huh? I wonder how many there’s going to be.

“Park Chanyeol.”

I didn’t look to see who got up, but I pretty much felt smaller than I already am when this super tall guy was standing right beside me. This was from the corner of my eye so I can only imagine how tall he really is if I was looking right at him. Thank you sir for kicking back my nervousness into high gear!

“There you have it. The members of the elite team.” A huge roar of clapping and hollering erupted from the audience as the Director pinned the elite rank badges onto our uniforms. I vaguely heard someone shouting “that’s my little runt”. I almost grimaced knowing just who would’ve said that.

The Director went back to the podium and the audience fell silent again. “I have already determined the team name and positions, which is why only three were selected.” There’s more? I thought he was going to end this.

“The name of our elite team is Cerberus. Team Cerberus. As Cerberus guards the gates of Hell – Keeping the dead in and the living out, Team Cerberus will guard the fine line of good and evil – keeping the wrongs doers in and the innocents out,” he explained. A three-headed hellhound, interesting Director.

“With the way his mind works, twisting and turning anything into his gain and also has a way with weapons, Gong Chanshik is the strategist and main force of the team. Intelligence, undercover skills that amazes me, and can provide support in many ways imaginable, Park Chanyeol is the brains and the defence. Last but not least, displaying a strong sense of determination and courage, topping the most in combat and many forms of martial arts but at the same time understanding and has a sense of companionship, Park Areum is the brawler and Leader.”

Excuse me? Me, leader? You should’ve made that tall guy leader or something! I know you can be strange sometimes Director, but this is too much.

Still stunned from the revelation of being appointed leader of this group called Team Cerberus, I realized that my body went into autopilot again and was already down on the same level of flooring as the audience. I didn’t snap out of my trance until that person with the ‘runt’ comment appeared in front of my face.

“Would you look at that? The little runt not only made it to the elite team but is also leader! Good job you little runt!” a heavy hand came down on my head and ruffled my hair. It’s not my fault that I’m pretty small, you’re just way too big for me!

“Get off of me! The day I look decent you ruin my hair. I thought I told you to stop calling me a little runt,” I snapped at Zico. I got a huge grin in response as he left to congratulate the rest of the team and the trainees.

Zico is a solo agent. Sometimes he teams up with others who work solo or teams, but mostly he likes to handle things on his own. Things that he’s capable of handling. I still remember the day he recruited me for a case, I’m still in disbelief until today. All he needed me was to use my small body and squeeze into a small space his big physique couldn’t fit in. That’s when the nickname started.

I saw many more faces that I knew through working with them while I was in training and they congratulated me before moving on. I made sure to congratulate the other trainees on their hard work and becoming agents. I could tell some were forcing themselves to be happy, we all wanted this but only the ones selected could get it. I hope there’s no hard feelings between any of us.

“Areum!” my head snapped in the direction of the voice I knew all too well. I saw Master Splinter trying to fight his way through the crowd towards me. It was difficult, but he managed to get to me and wrap me up in his huge arms. “Congratulations! I knew you would make it!”

“And how would you know that?” I questioned as I returned the hug. He never fails to make me laugh. But his response made me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.

“Because you’re my daughter.”

The three of us – the two members and I – regrouped at our office. Yeah, we had our own office rather than the shared floors that most of the agents used. The room was pretty big and might just be a bit more than enough than it should for just three people. And apparently, our mentors felt the need to surprise us with decorating it themselves. The shocked of the interior has yet to pass the three of us.

“Hello Team Cerberus,” a deep voice came up from behind. I’m pretty sure we all got quite a scared.

“Director,” we said in unison when we turned to see him behind us. “How may we be of help to you,” I added.

He chuckled with a bright smile. “No need for such formalities. I’m not that hard of a guy to get along with. I just came to visit you to see how my new team is doing.”

Other than the fact that we fought for our lives to leave the auditorium and got here just a few minutes ago, I would say we’re doing pretty good. You would think being a secret group everyone would behave all formal and proper, but I think we’re all just a bit loose.

“We’re managing…” the tall guy name Park Chanyeol replied while taking a glance behind him. I never knew his voice could be that deep for a face like that.

“I think we were about to start a cleanup,” the other, Gong Chanshik, added. His voice was the opposite of Chanyeol’s. His was softer and almost melodic. “There seems to be a bit too much going on in here.”

The Director himself took a look at our office and started to laugh at the excessive party decorations and excused himself to leave us to our cleaning. I thought new offices were supposed to barely have anything in them as we’re just moving in. I should’ve known my assumption would be wrong with the people that work here.

Chanyeol announced that he was going to get us some garbage bags, a broom, and anything else that might be need. Chanshik and I started to take down the decorations that lined and ceiling and the walls. To say that we were quietly working together would be an understatement. It was just plain awkward.

“Some mentors we have, right Chanshik?” I said trying to make conversation.

“Gongchan,” was all he said. I turned to him with a confused look. “You can call me Gongchan. I prefer that name more,” he added with a smile. “And you’ve got a point. They really outdone themselves in here.” We both went back to work quietly, but at least there’s a lighter atmosphere.

When Chanyeol got back, we were finished taking down everything. So he decided to fill up the garbage bags as we got to work on the decorations that littered the furniture and floor. Chanyeol pointed out some boxes he found under the ‘mess’. Each of the boxes were labeled with our names on it and inside were our belongings and supplies. By the time we all finished cleaning and packing it was lunch time.

“Do you guys want to head down to the cafeteria?” I asked as we just sat around. “I mean, if you want to go together. I understand if you don’t want to, I’m not forcing you to come with me,” I said with caution.

“I never knew the Director would appoint someone so timid as leader,” Chanyeol replied. He stood up and grabbed some of the full bags. “Sure, why not Squirt.” He ruffled my hair as he walked by. Gongchan followed him with some more filled bags and flashed me a small smile.

I grabbed the rest of the supplies that Chanyeol brought and followed them out. “I’m really not timid! It’s our first time meeting, I just don’t want to get off on the wrong foot with you guys.”

We spent the lunch hour getting to know each other in order to get rid of the awkward atmosphere that seemed to follow us everywhere. I also came to know that ‘Squirt’ will never leave me. Thank you for the new nickname.

Name: Kim Hyorin

Gender: Female

Age: 29

Occupation: Vocal Teacher

Time of Death: 3:24 AM

Location: Forest near the Countryside.

Summary:
Victim was found dead by hikers around 11AM. When authorities arrived, body was found propped up against a tree. Lacerations were found on the body, as well as some bruising and swelling. Wrists and ankles were bounded. Clothing was torn and matted with what is prove to be victim’s blood. No weapon found. No markings, prints, or other evidence of suspect(s) were found.

Through questioning of friends and neighbours, it was found that it was out of character of the victim going to the Countryside. Mostly dwells in the city, dislikes going to Countryside.

Please forward case to The Shadows as current investigation is insufficient. 


Author's Note:

The members of Team Cerberus are announced and have moved into an office together. As always with new meetings, things were a bit awkward for them but they pulled through.

On the other hand, a case has been handed to The Shadows. Could it be their first case? More to come in Chapter 3!

Please don't hate me for the situations the characters are put through. I have no ill will towards anyone.

- Chocolaterose