Final

Peter Pan

"I brush off the worn out diary,

And suddenly, within the opened pages,

You are clearly there."

 

Clunk.

Kyungsoo hisses in pain when he swings the heavy, wooden door to the attic open and strikes his head against a low hanging wooden beam as he steps inside. After reminding himself that he's not the same short, scrawny teenager he was ten years ago, he ducks below the wooden beam, wincing as he rubs the swelling lump on his head.

"Are you alright?" his mother shouts.

"Yeah," Kyungsoo responds.

His eyes begin to water and his throat becomes parched from the thick dust wafting through the air. Covering his mouth with the sleeve of his oversized gray hoodie, he begins scanning the room and sifting through stacks of cardboard boxes to find his old ice shaving machine.

“Have you found it yet?” his mother asks, shouting from the kitchen.

“Not yet,” Kyungsoo yells, voice muffled by his sleeve.

Rolling his eyes and letting out an exasperated sigh, he continues to sift through the boxes. Unable to withstand the sweltering heat of summer, his mother had a sudden urge to pull out their old ice shaving machine and make bowls of bingsu to indulge.

Fortunately, his vision soon settles upon a worn box with a label that reads, “Electronic Appliances”, and he thinks that he’s found it. As he reaches for it, however, his elbow strikes against another box behind him, causing its contents to spill out across the floor. “Shoot,” Kyungsoo mutters. When he bends over to gather the scattered objects, he begins to recognize a few of the peculiar items. He sees the old sci-fi novels with frayed pages that he had once so eagerly read. There's the collection of action figures his mother had been so insistent on tossing in the trash. A subtle smile begins playing on his lips, chuckling softly as the memories resurface, one by one.

He reaches for the cardboard box to see more of the things that have been forgotten with time. However, smile fades when he notices an unmistakably familiar book resting at the bottom of the box. Immediately, he dumps the contents of the box and cautiously grabs the book with trembling fingers.

It's a black leather journal, with the word “Neverland” written across the top.

Kyungsoo gulps, glancing at the fragile journal as if it will fall apart with even the lightest touch. He tremulously unlatches the journal, flipping through the pages worn by time. The musty scent of fallen leaves and lemon vanilla perfume wafts from the book. The pages of the journal contain precious memories- pictures pressed against the paper with too much tape and hasty words scribbled with a cheap pen. His eyes burn and brim with tears, and Kyungsoo’s not sure whether it’s from the dust or the waves of nostalgia washing over him.

He turns to the first page, where a slightly faded picture of a sixteen-year-old Kyungsoo holding a girl, with her head thrown back in laughter, in his arms, is taped.

 

"You remain here, just the same.”

 

Kyungsoo runs his fingers over the two faces, happiness woven into each contour of their smiles. A caption, written in a black, permanent marker under the picture, reads, “Peter and Wendy”. A name rolls off Kyungsoo’s tongue, short and sweet.

But it's not just any name.

Your name.

It’s a name he hasn’t said or heard in the past ten years. And though it's been ten long years, the name still plays a smile on his lips and causes his heart to flutter.

Now, he’s sure that the tears in his eyes are from reminiscence.

He bites his bottom lip to prevent the tears from falling. With the intention of finding the ice shaving machine totally pushed to the back of his mind, Kyungsoo inhales sharply, his breath hitching. Mustering up all the confidence he has, he turns to the next page, recollecting forgotten memories.

 

“I remember the images that I had forgotten all this time.

Small tremors surge through my body.”

 

Peter met Wendy when he lost his shadow, but Kyungsoo met you when he stumbled upon a tattered book under the shade of a towering oak tree in the park in his freshman year.

Although there may have been loads of homework and books weighing down Kyungsoo’s worn backpack, he always managed to make time to pedal his bike through the roads of his quaint town to rest under the cool shade of the tallest oak tree in the park. It was a secluded and noiseless area- a kind of Eden for Kyungsoo.

Once more, Kyungsoo found himself gliding through the autumnal breezes of mid-September and under the shade of auburn trees, until the lush, green park came to view. Skidding to a stop and hopping off his bike, Kyungsoo nonchalantly strolled through the lush grass that brushed against his pants and curled around his shoes. The towering oak- his towering oak- came into view, boughs threading through the air and reaching for the sun.

It was just like any typical day, except for the unfamiliar book resting at the base of the tree.

Kyungsoo lifted an eyebrow as he picked up the tattered book. "Peter and Wendy," he read, scanning the title of the book through his round-framed spectacles. Collapsing onto the bed of soft grass under the cool shade, Kyungsoo adjusted his spectacles, before lifting the book and opening up the shabby cover.

"Property of _____."

It's a name he was not familiar with. After living his entire life in his fairly humble town, he was sure there was no one with that name.

He shrugged, before flipping to the first page. He always knew the story of Peter Pan, but he had never held the actual book in his hands. And with nothing better to do, he began reading.

But Kyungsoo had never been one for fairy tales, and it was hardly a surprise when he had fallen asleep before he had finished reading the first page. With the book sprawled out against his chest and his spectacles disarranged, he snored lightly as he slept. Only after two hours did Kyungsoo wake up to the fluttering of soft wings against his cheeks. He scrunched his nose and squinted through heavy eyelids to see a blur of bright yellow. With a tired hand, he lazily swatted away the fluttering butterfly.

Kyungsoo propped himself up on his elbows, brought his wrist in front of his face, and boggled at the time.

Two hours.

He had been asleep for two hours!

Kyungsoo scrambled off the ground and made a run for his bike, managing to trip over his untied shoelaces and the tattered book in the process. He slid the book into his backpack and ran as fast as his legs carried him. He shuddered when he thought of his mother scolding him and pulling his ear.

He abruptly halted, however, at the sound of loud shouting and the patter of soft footsteps.

"Hurry up," a seemingly frustrated orotund voice called.

"Alright, alright," a silvery voice called back in return.

And from the distance came running a girl with rosy cheeks and plumes of hair flying behind her. Immediately, Kyungsoo became entranced by your glimmering liquid eyes and dreamy gaze. He was in utter surprise- but not by the fact that he had never seen you before.

You were beautiful.

And he was more surprised when you had run up to him, to Kyungsoo.

With flushed cheeks, you ran a hand through your windswept hair, before asking, "Excuse me, but have you happened to have seen a book laying around nearby?"

"Do you mean this?" Kyungsoo asked, reaching behind him and pulling out the tattered book.

Your eyes lit up as you reached for the book and hugged it to your chest, exclaiming, "Thank you!"

"You're _____, right?"

"How did you know?" you asked.

Kyungsoo pointed to the book in your hands. "It said your name inside the front cover."

A small smile tugged at the corner of Kyungsoo's lips when a look of stupid realization came across your face and you murmured a soft, "Oh."

You flashed an embarrassed smile, before saying, "I just moved here with my family. Starting next week, I'm going to attend the nearby high school as a freshman, so I don't know anyone yet."

"I guess we'll be classmates, then," Kyungsoo said, flashing you a cheeky smile.

"That's great," you laughed. "Oh, but I never caught your name?"

"Kyungsoo. Do Kyungsoo."

"Thank you, Kyungsoo," you said, and Kyungsoo's heart fluttered when his name rolled off your tongue.

Both of your heads whipped to the distance when the orotund voice yelled once more, "Have you found it yet? What's taking so long?"

"Alright, I'm coming," you yelled. You turned back to Kyungsoo, rolling your eyes before sighing, "Stupid older brothers."

And to Kyungsoo's dismay, you said, "I guess I'll be leaving now. See you at school?"

"See you," he muttered in disappointment. But before you could leave, he blurted out, "Do you like that book?"

"Huh?"

He pointed to the tattered book once more. "It seems like you're very fond of the book. Not to mention, it looks like you've read it many times."

You nodded your head so insistently that your hair flopped up and down. "It's my favorite story of all time. Have you read it?"

Kyungsoo shook his head. Other than his sci-fi novels and "Treasure Island", Kyungsoo hadn't read any other books.

"You should," were your last words before giving Kyungsoo a small wave of the hand and disappearing once more. The sound of bickering between you and your brother, and then silence settled upon the lush park once more.

Although there was still the problem of facing his angry mother, there was still one more place Kyungsoo had to visit- the library.

The sun had almost completely set by the time Kyungsoo had returned home. He trudged through the front door and into the kitchen, only to be confronted by his mother. And as expected, she was fuming.

His mother grabbed him by the ear, and Kyungsoo yelled out in pain. "Do you have any idea what time it is, Do Kyungsoo? Do you know how much I have been worried?"

"I'm sorry," Kyungsoo yelped. "I was at the library but I lost track of the time."

"No phone call, no anything," his mother continued scolding. "I almost thought you had died."

After apologizing repeatedly for the next ten minutes, his mother had let go of him, allowing him to bound up the stairs to his room. Although Kyungsoo should have been studying for his upcoming physics test, he comfortably settled on his bed, before pulling out the book he had borrowed from the library, the book which had caused the librarian to questionably lift an eyebrow at Kyungsoo.

And the title?

"Peter and Wendy."

 

“It's a bit sad that I can't return to those times."

 

To say Kyungsoo had been anticipating seeing you at school was an understatement. He had been impatiently waiting for you, scanning the hallways each morning and crossing his fingers each time the teacher made an announcement and praying that it would be about a new student.

After a day of long and tedious classes, Kyungsoo trudged through the hallway, stopping in his tracks when a familiar figure stood before him, alone. The ends of his plump lips creeped up his face into a shy smile, as he called your name.

You whirled around, your face immediately softening into a warm smile when your eyes met Kyungsoo's. You ran to him, eager to see a familiar face.

"Kyungsoo," you chimed. "It's great to see you."

"Was it your first day?"

You nodded. "It was my first day, but I got lost and walked into the wrong classroom for homeroom."

Kyungsoo chuckled.

"Oh," you exclaimed. "I forgot! I really wanted to do something to thank you properly for finding my book." He watched as you sheepishly furrowed your brows in deep thought.

"Well," Kyungsoo muttered, staring down at his feet. "I know a good ice cream place, and we can call it settled if you go with me?"

Silence stretched for a long moment, and Kyungsoo was about to smack himself in the forehead for making a wrong move.

"That sounds amazing," you said.

After offering a ride on his bicycle, Kyungsoo was sure his heart was about to explode when you sat behind him, your arms latched around his waist in fear of falling off.

"I'll pay," you announced at the counter of the ice cream parlor.

"No, let me," Kyungsoo insisted, fishing out his wallet from his back pocket and handing the cashier a wad of crumpled bills.

After paying, you and Kyungsoo took a stroll outside in the empty concrete sidewalks. Birds twittered, the scent of autumn and your lemon vanilla perfume was in the air, and the taste of sweet strawberry ice cream tainted Kyungsoo's mouth, and Kyungsoo wished for nothing but the moment to just last forever.

"I read it, you know," Kyungsoo said. "That story."

"How was it?" you asked. Every word you spoke, every move you made was so eager enthusiastic that Kyungsoo couldn't help but smile.

"It was nice," he shrugged.

"Everything about the story is so beautiful, except for the ending," you remarked. "I just wish Wendy and Peter could have stayed together forever. Their ending is so tragic."

"Well, not exactly," Kyungsoo said. "They were in love, and that's all that truly mattered. The ending is what makes their love so much more meaningful."

"I guess you're right," you said, tapping a finger to your chin and pondering on his words. "I heard from a few people that you're actually really clever, and they were right."

Kyungsoo bashfully held his head down, allowing his raven locks to hide his flushed cheeks behind a dark mop of hair.

"I almost forgot," you suddenly piped. You reached your hand into your pocket, which emerged holding a woven chain of colorful string. "I made this for you. It's a friendship bracelet."

Kyungsoo blankly stared at you in what was seemingly a questionable manner. You grabbed his wrist and tied the bracelet around his wrist.

"There," you hummed in satisfaction. You lifted your wrist to show a corresponding bracelet. "Now, we're matching."

Kyungsoo ran his slender fingers along the complex pattern of the string. "What's this for?"

"I make them for the people I'm really close with. I've only given a couple of these, so you should be honored," you gushed.

"But, I've only known you for less than a week?"

"There's always exceptions," you said.

"You know," Kyungsoo muttered. "We should do this more often."

"We should," you nodded in agreement.

That night, sleep was chased away as Kyungsoo laid in bed, gently smiling at the bracelet tied around his wrist.

Now, several years later, Kyungsoo sees the familiar bracelet resting in the dusty cardboard box. When he pulls it out, the edges are frayed and it's much too small for his wrist now, but nevertheless, he runs his fingers along the string, imagining the soft touch of your skin against his as you wrapped your fingers around his wrist to tie the bracelet.

 

"I'm going to look for you,

Following Tinkerbell who was sent by memories,

To the lasting Neverland."

 

It was amazing, really, how two people had managed to become so close within six months.

It was no longer simply "Kyungsoo", but it was now "Kyungsoo and _____." You would never find one without the other, and they always stuck together. Kyungsoo's feelings ran deeper than simple infatuation, and he found a deep connection between the two of you.

Perhaps other boys would have grimaced and crowed childishly, "Ew, cooties," at the thought of being so close with a girl, but Kyungsoo had never once found it awkward each time he would lie next to you in the cool shade of the towering oak at the park.

It was a drowsy afternoon, and Kyungsoo had been lolling beside you in the soft bed of grass.

"I know this is an odd question to ask since we're only freshmen," you began, "but what do you want to be when you grow up?"

Kyungsoo's thoughts traveled to his collection of action figures and long nights spent pressed against the screen of the TV to watch a rerun of Star Wars or reading his sci-fi  novels under the covers of his bed. "A writer," he responded confidently. "How about you?"

You groaned, "I have no idea. There's so many things I want to be but I'm too caught up in the present to ever decide on anything."

"That's alright," Kyungsoo assured. "You'll know for sure one day, trust me."

"I'm sorry if I'm always bothering you with my questions," you muttered. "It's just that you listen to my every word so intently that it makes me feel special. I like speaking to you, but it must be a bother."

Kyungsoo chuckled. "Your incessant chatter is music to my ears."

The two of you erupted into hearty laughter, and Kyungsoo commented, "It always feels like I'm in another world, another place when I speak to you."

"Me too," you sighed. "I just wish it would always be this way. You and me. Me and you. Always."

Always.

 

"At that place you and I look at each other while smiling.

I am forever your Peter Pan."

 

Warm breezes tickled Kyungsoo's cheeks, and the pollen of freshly bloomed flowers in spring made Kyungsoo's nose slightly itchy and a bit runny, but nothing could lower his mood. As he passed by the familiar roads and peculiar stores wedged together, he swerved his bike to a stop, seeing a familiar figure gaze in confusion at the distance.

“Need a ride?” he shouted to the girl standing in front of the library.

Immediately, you perked up at the sound of your favorite voice and waved to Kyungsoo.

You had hopped onto Kyungsoo’s bike, and he easily maneuvered you through the streets of the town- making a quick stop at the nearby mart to buy some popsicles- before leading you to the streets of your neighborhood. The two of you sat on the curb of your street, busy the sticky popsicle juice from your fingers.

“It’s been how many months since you moved here and you still can’t find your way to your own house?” Kyungsoo teasingly asked.

You playfully smacked his shoulder. “Hey,” you scoffed, “not everyone has an amazing sense of direction like you.”

A long moment of silence, filled with nothing but the buzzing of an annoying bee and the howling wind, passed, before you heaved a deep sigh and leaned your head against Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

“It’s really nice having you, Kyungsoo,” you murmured, playing with your popsicle stick. “I don’t have that many friends, you know.”

“How come?” Kyungsoo asked, ruffling your hair. “You’re supposed to be the hyperactive and outgoing one here.”

“I’m such an introvert.”

You, an introvert?” Kyungsoo scoffed. “Let’s be real here. You’re anything but an introvert.”

“I totally am one,” you argued. “When I’m not with you, I can hardly talk to people. If being oppressed by people at school isn’t enough, I have to deal with my parents and my brother at home. Always pointing out my mistakes and constantly reminding me of my clumsiness and stupidity.”

Kyungsoo gazed at you.

“But I have you,” you said. “You’re like my Peter Pan. Coming to my window, taking my hand, and leading me to Neverland. I always feel like I escape this world whenever I’m with you.”

“If I’m your Peter Pan, then you must be my Wendy.”

Your lips twitched into a shy smile.

But a sweet conversation was interrupted by the booming voice of your mother, frantically shouting, “_____, where are you? Come home this instant!”

You looked disdainfully at Kyungsoo.

“Well, it looks like you have to return home now, Wendy,” Kyungsoo said.

“You’ll be back to take me to Neverland, right Peter?” you asked in a feigned, shrill voice.

Kyungsoo bursted into light-hearted laughter. “See you,” he called out.

“My Peter,” you said, before running home.

And Kyungsoo repeated the words, softly to himself: “My Wendy. My beautiful Wendy.”

 

"Your man that stopped in that time.

Although I'm clumsy, I'm running to you, who I loved so much."

 

"Happy birthday, Kyungsoo!"

Kyungsoo heard you exclaim loudly the moment he stepped into the school hallways. You stood before him, holding out a messily wrapped gift.

‘What’s this?”

“What does it look like, stupid? A birthday gift,” you said. “It’s been two years since we met, and since I didn’t get you one last year, I decided to get you one this year!”

Kyungsoo reached for the gift with hesitant hands, until you rolled your eyes and shoved the parcel into his hands.

“Open it,” you squealed.

Kyungsoo peeled off the tape and tore the wrapping paper off, revealing a black leather journal. Written across the cover in swooping, golden letters, read, “Neverland.”

“A journal?”

You nodded. “Remember last year, when we were freshman, you told me that you wanted to become a writer? I decided to buy you a journal so you could write a story and hopefully, if I ever get the chance, I want to read it!”

“But, I’ve never actually written a story of my own before.”

“Now, you will,” you said.

“What will it be about?”

“Anything.”

“Well, how about us?”

“What?” You blinked a few times, attempting to figure out the meaning of his words.

“A story about us. A story about Peter and his Wendy.”

You smiled. “I would like that. A lot.”

After school, as he walked you home, a sudden thought came to mind, and Kyungsoo halted, as he zipped open his backpack and rummaged through it. You watched in confusion, seeing Kyungsoo mutter under his breath and smile when he pulled out his phone.

“What are you doing?” you asked.

“There’s one last thing I want from you on my sixteenth birthday,” he said.

Your cheeks burned a bright red and you broke into shy laughter when Kyungsoo his phone to take a picture of the two of you. He wrapped his arm around you and held you close to his chest, your head thrown back in laughter. The quick click as the photo was taken, and Kyungsoo bid you goodbye as your house came into view.

That night, Kyungsoo had printed the picture with his printer, which had a habit of breaking down every few months. He opened the journal to the first page, where he had placed the picture, securing it with wads of tape. He flipped to the next page and pulled out a cheap pen which he had bought from the mart to begin writing.

After much hair pulling and banging his head on the table in determined consideration of what to write, inspiration overflowed from his mind, and Kyungsoo began to write. And write. And write.

What exactly did he write?

The day Peter first met Wendy.

 

"The memories of me defeating the spiteful villains who bothered you are vivid.

From that moment on, I had your heart and even a kiss."

 

Peter had rescued Wendy from the evil pirates, but Kyungsoo merely chased away the other sophomore boys who would always bother you.

He had been casually plodding through the school hallways, scanning the lockers and swarms of students to catch sight of you. He did find you, but in an unexpected situation. You stood with a pout on your face, outstretching your arms to grab your textbooks, which had been stolen by Byun Baekhyun. He lifted them high over your head, teasingly watching as you struggled to reach them on your toes.

“Give me back my textbooks!”

“I’ll give them back,” he cooed slyly. “If you give me a kiss.”

His eyes squeezed shut and his lips came together in a pucker. Immediately, Kyungsoo ran to your defense and grabbed Baekhyun by the ear, a skill well-learned from his mother.

“Ow, ow, ow, ow,” Baekhyun cried out.

“Give her back her textbooks, Byun,” Kyungsoo warned, tugging the poor male’s ear more tightly when he did not take heed of Kyungsoo’s words. Immediately, Baekhyun handed you the pile of heavy textbooks. “Never again will you bother her. Do you understand?”

Baekhyun nodded, whimpering in pain.

“If you do, I am not afraid to rip out your balls,” Kyungsoo threatened. “Or I could tell everyone about that day in sixth grade when-”

Baekhyun clamped his hand over Kyungsoo’s mouth, his cheeks flushed. “I promise I will never her again just please don’t rip my balls out or tell anyone!”

Kyungsoo grunted in approval as he let of Baekhyun. The poor male scurried away, cheeks red and ear throbbing.

“Thanks,” you muttered.

“Come on,” Kyungsoo said, “let’s go to the park.”

As the two of you sat under the towering oak once more, Kyungsoo noticed you were awfully quiet.

“Is something wrong?”

“You’ve done so much for me, but I don’t know how to pay you back.”

“You don’t have to pay me back for anything.”

He watched as you stood up from the ground, your brows furrowed and lips pursed. Your back was turned to him, your hand brought up to your chin in thought. Kyungsoo stood up from the ground and repeated once more, “I told you, you don’t-”

However, he was interrupted when you suddenly turned around and pressed your lips against his in a chaste kiss. Your arms wrapped around his neck and pulled his body closer to yours. Time seemed to stop, and although his eyes were shut, Kyungsoo could clearly see a beautiful image of you against the painted evening sky. When you pulled away, Kyungsoo teetered on his feet and saw stars.

“What was that?” he asked.

“That was to thank you,” you said, “for saving me from Baekhyun.”

Kyungsoo chuckled softly, before saying, “Maybe I should’ve asked Baekhyun to bother you more in the future?”

And for the rest of the night, Kyungsoo tossed and turned in bed, because heck- he just had his first kiss.

 

"My heart always flew riding the clouds.

You were prettier than Wendy and Cinderella."

 

"Do you think I'm pretty?"

Kyungsoo had been busy scribbling an endless array of words into the journal you had gifted him with, until your absurd question had drawn him from his train of thought. You sat beside him on a bench in the park, watching tediously.

"What makes you say that?"

"People tend to like pretty people," you remarked. "So, am I pretty?"

"You don't need to be pretty for people to like you."

"Chanyeol called me pretty the other day," you said. "He said that he really liked me and even gave me some flowers."

Kyungsoo became silent, lips pursed in disapproval.

"And I'm wondering whether I should accept his confession," you said teasingly. You tried hiding your smile when you saw Kyungsoo becoming jealous. "He's pretty good-looking."

You were taken by surprise when Kyungsoo abruptly stood up and shouted, "Why would you date an idiot like Park Chanyeol? You should be with someone smarter and much more good-looking than him."

"Like who?"

Kyungsoo gave a low grunt in response before angrily shoving the journal in his backpack and stomping off, presumably to his house.

The next day, at school, you were drowsy from studying late into the night and opened your locker with heavy eyelids. However, your tired eyes widened when they caught sight of a single red rose laying upon your books, along with a folded piece of paper. Gingerly, you reached for the paper and unfolded it. Your heart almost burst into fireworks from its rapid pulsation once you had read the note.

"To answer your question, you are more beautiful than anyone in this world. More beautiful than Cinderella and even Wendy herself. And the truth is, I like you a lot. Starting today, let's be together for real. Let's be a couple.

From Your Peter Pan."

Kyungsoo, after having deposited his confession in your locker, had been filled with dread the entire day. Had you read his confession yet? Had you decided to accept his feelings? Millions of thoughts and questions swirled around in his mind, causing his head to reel.

After an entire day of not seeing you, Kyungsoo began believing he had made a mistake. A big one. With slumped shoulders, he input his locker combination, swinging the door open forcefully. However, he was surprised to see a folded piece of paper resting upon his books.

"What is Wendy without her Peter, and what is me without my Kyungsoo? To answer your question, yes, let's be a couple.

From Your Wendy."

A smile spread across Kyungsoo's face, and he swore, he felt like he was soaring among the clouds. A finger tapped him on the shoulder, and he turned around to face no one other than you. You were blushing madly, and a bashful smile was plastered on your face.

"Let's go," Kyungsoo said. His hand reached for yours, your fingers intertwining. His palm pressed softly against yours.

"Where?" you asked.

"You'll see."

After asking for the umpteenth time where the heck Kyungsoo was taking you on his bike, you arrived at the familiar oak tree in the park. With his hand holding tightly to yours, you watched as Kyungsoo carefully carved your initials into the tree.

 

"Because I can feel you, the one person who makes my heart flutter,

My two eyes shine."

 

"You should really get rid of these," you said, pulling the round-framed spectacles off Kyungsoo's face.

"Give them back," Kyungsoo ordered, reaching his arm out blindly. Without his glasses, he was as blind as a bat. His vision was so terrible that he couldn't even recognize his own mother without his spectacles.

"You should get contacts," you said. "It's been two years, and I have never seen you without them on."

"Why? I like my glasses."

"I don't. I like seeing your eyes and your face."

"But without them on, I can't see you."

Kyungsoo supposed you stuck your tongue out at him before running away with his spectacles in your hands. You laughed as you watched Kyungsoo scramble to chase after you in the park through squinted eyes. It was after a long twenty minutes did Kyungsoo halt and say, "Can I please have my glasses back?"

"Fine," you sighed.

Before you gave him back his spectacles, you pressed a quick kiss to his lips. You shoved the spectacles into your hands, before running away.

When Kyungsoo got home, his mother had prepared dinner for him. As he sat down at the dining table and began ravenously shoving forkfuls of food into his mouth, he suddenly blurted, "Mom, can I get contacts?"

 

"I'm going to look for you,

Following Tinkerbell who was sent by memories,

To the lasting Neverland."

 

Drowsiness settled upon Kyungsoo's tired frame, sleep weighing heavily in his eyelids. Crisp, orange and glowing red painted the evening sky. A soft stirring beside him in the soft grass was followed by, "Do you ever wonder what a kiss feels like?"

Kyungsoo's eyelids fluttered open, revealing a bleary image of you sitting upright beside him. He rubbed the sleep out of his eyes, saying, "Of course you do. We've kissed before."

"Yeah, but those were just pecks. I mean a real kiss. One where you hold each other lovingly in your arms. One where time stops. One that leaves you absolutely breathless.."

"I think you've been watching too many movies," Kyungsoo chuckled. "Just don't go around kissing other boys."

"About that..."

Deep laughter erupted from your chest when Kyungsoo turned to you with eyes widened in such shock.

"I'm just kidding," you gushed, clutching your stomach as you continued to laugh.

Incessant "I was just kidding!" was repeated, followed by much tugging of Kyungsoo's sleeve. Yet he still remained in silence, downcast and unresponsive.

"Hey, are you still upset?" you asked. Your lips formed a pout when he stood up from the ground, his presence replaced by an empty void beside you.

You stood up, as well, brushing the dirt off your knees. You opened your mouth to speak, until Kyungsoo abruptly said, "You said you wanted to know what a real kiss was like?"

"Well-"

Kyungsoo turned around and sealed your lips in a deep kiss. His plush lips molded perfectly against your soft ones, his hands cupping your cheeks. You brought your arms around him, and plumes of your hair tickled Kyungsoo's cheeks. Your lips moved softly against his, affection, passion, and I love you dripping from every movement.

Although Kyungsoo craved more, when you pulled away, he was breathless and light-headed. He still held you in his arms, pressing his forehead against yours.

"Do you think this will last forever?" you asked.

"What?"

"Us. This moment. I want us to stay in our Neverland forever."

"What is our Neverland?" Kyungsoo asked.

"I... Have yet to figure that out."

"I think I know where my Neverland is," Kyungsoo said.

"Where?"

"With you."

 

"At that place you and I look at each other while smiling.

I am forever your Peter Pan."

 

Unsteady breathing and rapid heart palpitations faced Kyungsoo as he hid around the corner of the lockers. With a small velvety box clutched tightly to his chest, anxiety filled every inch of his body, his limbs jittery. After long moments of waiting and waiting,  the final bell rang, and he inhaled sharply. He peered around the corner, immediately withdrawing when he saw you making your way down the hall.

Kyungsoo drew in a deep breath, before mustering his confidence and plastering a cheesy smile on his face. As he heard your nearing footsteps, he jumped out from hiding. Startled by his sudden appearance, you flinched when he jumped out.

"Kyungsoo," you breathed.

"Happy Anniversary," he shouted, handing you the box clutched tightly in his hands.

"You remembered?" you squealed, taking the box gently between your fingers.

"Of course."

You smiled softly as you opened the velvety box, gasping when your eyes came upon a glimmering necklace with a delicate silver chain and a familiar shaped charm. You ran your fingers over the charm, whispering, "Peter Pan."

"I was originally thinking of buying you a necklace with a Wendy charm," Kyungsoo said, pulling the necklace out from the box. You allowed him to brush the hair away from your neck with his slender fingers, before clipping the necklace around your neck. "But I decided to get you a Peter Pan charm."

"Why?" you asked.

"So that even when we're apart, Peter Pan will watch over you and protect you, just as he always has been. And no matter what, he will follow you to the ends of this Earth."

"I feel bad," you pouted. "I didn't get you anything. Maybe I should get you a matching Wendy necklace?"

"Why would I need a Wendy necklace when I have someone so much more beautiful beside me?" Kyungsoo said.

Kyungsoo watched as you smiled bashfully, running your fingers over the necklace.

 

"Your man that stopped in that time.

Although I'm clumsy, I'm running to you, who I loved so much."

 

Peter had taken Wendy on adventures, but Kyungsoo simply prepared a picnic for you one midsummer evening, and really- that's all you could've ever asked for.

You had been lolling around on your bed, your eyes glued to a book you had borrowed from the library. However, the striking of a pebble against your window caught your attention, and you scrambled out of your bed. You peered through the window, excitement causing your heart to flutter and your mind to reel when you saw Kyungsoo standing on your front lawn. He waved at you, before gesturing to a picnic basket in his other hand.

Without hesitation, you swung open the door to your room, flew down the stairs, and darted out the front door. You enveloped Kyungsoo into a big hug the moment you stepped outside of your house.

"Where have you been all day yesterday and today?" you asked.

"Sorry, my mom suddenly decided to clean out our attic and kept me until we were done," Kyungsoo sighed. "But I prepared something special for you," he said, holding out the basket.

Your hand found his, your fingers weaving together. You squeezed it tightly, exclaiming, "What are we waiting for?"

After a long hour of playfully smacking Kyungsoo on the arm as he teased you and eating the delicious sandwiches which he had prepared himself, you had lain your head upon his lap, watching the glowing sunset. Your two bodies were perched upon a soft blanket laid out at the top of a grassy hill. Kyungsoo's fingers weaved through your hair, running through your tousled locks.

"We're going to be seniors when September comes," you muttered.

"Yup."

"Remember when you told me that you wanted to become a writer? Has your dream changed?"

"Nope. Not one bit."

"How do you when you're in love? Not like a crush, but when it's for real."

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow at you. "What's with the abrupt question?"

You let out a sigh, before saying, "I told my mom about you and how I'm sure that you and I were really meant to be, but she called me silly and told me that I don't know a thing about true love!"

Kyungsoo pondered. "Well, for me, true love is costly. True love is when you'd literally do anything for that special person and when you can't imagine a future without them."

"Like me with you," you exclaimed. "I can't imagine a world without my Peter."

"Speaking of the future, have you decided anything?"

"No," you groaned. "I have no idea what colleges to apply to or what I want to major in. All I know is that in the future, I'm going to be with you."

"I've been thinking," Kyungsoo murmured. "There's a community college nearby, and maybe, we both could apply? We can graduate college together and I could become a writer and you can become whatever you want to be, and we'll still be together."

Kyungsoo gazed at you with such a loving gaze that you swore you were about to melt. "That sounds so amazing, Kyungsoo!"

You had never smiled so brightly.

 

"Unforgettable pink faces.

The feeling of walking on clouds."

 

Kyungsoo groaned loudly as his head collapsed on the table before him. He crumpled the piece of paper in his hands, tossing it on the floor.

"Kyungsoo," you murmured, nudging his arm. You sat behind the male, who was obviously frustrated. The classroom was empty and it had been almost an hour since all the students had left, but Kyungsoo still remained. "Maybe you should continue tomorrow."

"No," Kyungsoo moaned. "This is due really soon and I can't put it off any longer. I'm going to be here for a while so you should go home."

Your lips pulled into a frown.

The principal had suggested that Kyungsoo enter the community writing contest and submit a short story. But even after mulling over his thoughts for hours, Kyungsoo still couldn't find any inspiration.

"How about this," you said. "Take a deep breath and rest for a little. I'll stay here and study while you finish your story so that you won't be alone."

You watched as Kyungsoo drew in a deep breath, rubbed his eyes, and let out a heavy sigh.

"Now," you said, "what do you need to do, exactly?"

"I have to write a quick, fictional story to submit," Kyungsoo answered. "But I can't think of anything."

"Write a story you're familiar with."

"Like-"

"Us. Write a quick story about us, just like the ones in your journal."

You saw the color returning to his face and his eyes widening. "Brilliant," he cried. He turned around in his seat to face you. "I could just kiss you right now."

"No time for kissing," you scolded, "you have a story to write."

The next day, you watched with excitement as Kyungsoo anxiously turned in the story to the principal.

 

"The picturesque you who made my heart beat.

Back then, like the way your eyes used to gently smile at me."

 

It had been one of those days where Kyungsoo woke up with the gut feeling that something good would happen.

And happen it did.

The warmth spreading to his cheeks as he anxiously dialed your number and the excitement in his voice was all too clear. He shouted your name when you had picked up, causing you to almost drop your phone on the other end.

"Guess what!"

"Oh my gosh, what happened? Are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm alright," Kyungsoo exclaimed. "I won!"

"What?"

"I won the writing competition!"

He heard you squealing and shouting in joy. "I’m so proud of you! We need to celebrate, Kyungsoo! Where are you?"

"Actually, I'm standing right outside your house."

You whipped the curtains away from the window, surprised to see Kyungsoo standing on the street beside his bike. A familiar feeling of soft butterflies in your stomach and warmth in your cheeks registered. Even in your darkest of moments, Kyungsoo would arrive at your window to take you on an adventure.

You smiled.

Kyungsoo truly was your Peter Pan.

 

"Even now, if you flew through the open window of my heart.

My sweet girl who still lingers in my mind, kept inside my fairy tale."

 

All good things must come to an end.

Kyungsoo had never taken heed of these words, let alone contemplate their meaning. He had truly believed that whatever good he had stumbled upon would stay, as long as he holds tightly to it.

But he had never been so wrong.

It had been a warm spring Saturday, but Kyungsoo was entrapped inside his bedroom studying for rapidly upcoming finals. His brain hurt from all the flashcards and formulas, and he was almost relieved when his phone vibrated. He remembers so clearly the trembling of your voice and the choked sobs hitching your breaths when he had picked up.

"Hello?"

"K-Kyungsoo," you sobbed.

Kyungsoo stood up. "Are you alright? Where are you?"

"At the park."

"Alright, just wait for me."

Kyungsoo could've confidently said that he had never ridden so recklessly through the streets on his bike. Dangerously swerving around the curb and cutting through streets to reach the park. He remembers running, running to you with all the might in his scrawny body. Your figure, huddled against the base of the towering oak with your head buried in your hands, came into view, and although he didn’t know what happened, Kyungsoo had embraced you tightly in his arms.

When he pulled away, he examined your face. Your eyes were b with tears that threatened to fall, and anger contorted your lips into a frown. You shouted, “This world is so cruel and unfair! I hate it, I hate everything!”

“What’s wrong?” Kyungsoo worriedly asked, his fingers gliding along your arm until they reached your hands.

“Kyungsoo,” you cried softly, burying your head into Kyungsoo’s chest, “I’m moving.”

The pang of Kyungsoo’s heart as it shattered rang so clearly that Kyungsoo wondered if you had heard it too.

“What?” he rasped.

“I’m moving right after graduation because of my dad’s stupid work, but I don’t know where. All I know is that’s far and we won’t be returning,” you sobbed. “Kyungsoo, I don’t want to leave here, I don’t want to leave you.”

You had always seemed to have questions, and Kyungsoo had always seemed to have the best of answers for everything.

“What are we going to do?” you asked.

But for the first time in his life, he was uncertain of the answer.

“We can make this work,” Kyungsoo stammered, attempting to sound reassuring (but failing). “If you tell me where, maybe I can go there too. And if not, we’ll keep in touch. I’ll visit you every chance I get.”

“Kyungsoo,” you pleaded.

“We’re going to make this work,” Kyungsoo continued, anger resonating in his voice. “We’ve been together for years and it’s not going to go down like this.”

“Kyungsoo.”

“_____, we’re going to make this work!”

He shouted in anger, and you squeezed his hand tightly. Seeing the tears in your eyes, Kyungsoo calmed down.

“It’s going to work,” Kyungsoo assured.

But something told him otherwise.

When he returned home, downcast and shoulders slumped, his mother had excitedly called for him. “Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo!”

“What is it, mom?” he sighed, taking a few strides to the kitchen.

His mother held up a thick envelope which had been impatiently torn open, and Kyungsoo quirked an eyebrow.

“A letter?”

“Not just any letter, Kyungsoo, this is an acceptance letter!”

“An acceptance letter?” he asked, his heart fluttering. He had sent out very few applications, but he had never expected a response so early. “Which school?”

“You’re never going to believe this,” his mother rambled. “Remember that university we talked about when you were younger? The one that boasted this amazing creative writing program that you had always dreamed of getting into?”

“Yeah,” Kyungsoo answered. “But I didn’t apply for it.”

“Apparently, they read the story you submitted to the community writing competition, and they want you to join their creative writing program on a scholarship!”

“What?” Kyungsoo asked in disbelief. He snatched the envelope from his mother’s grasp and read the contents within. A wide smile stretched across his face as he leaped in joy. He grabbed his mother and twirled her around in a small dance, the two of them screaming excitedly.

However, the realization soon hit him, and he felt the hole in heart once more.

“But mom,” he gulped, “isn’t the university far away?”

“Of course,” she answered. “It’s several hours away from here, but that shouldn’t stop you from going.”

“I’ll think about it,” Kyungsoo muttered.

“Kyungsoo,” his mother called, placing a hand consolingly on her son’s shoulder. “You’ve been dreaming about that place for years. This is such a wonderful opportunity.”

Kyungsoo glanced sullenly at his mother.

“Are you worried about me?” his mother asked. His father had passed away in a car accident and his older brother was currently studying abroad, leaving only Kyungsoo and his mother. “I want you to go out there and live your life, Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo wrapped his arms around his mother. “Thanks, mom. I don’t know what I would do without you.”

His mother smiled.

The next day, Kyungsoo had invited you for a mid-afternoon ice cream run and a stroll in the park. But you knew Kyungsoo, and you could tell from his wandering gaze that something was weighing heavily on his mind.

“Kyungsoo?” you asked, tugging his sleeve. “Is something wrong?”

“You know how I’ve told you countless times that my dream has been to become a writer?”

You nodded slowly.

“Well, there’s this university that my mom and I have been talking about for years. It’s known to have the best creative writing program, and I always dreamed of attending there.”

“Kyungsoo,” you said softly, your voice cracking.

You knew by the sullen look on his face that there was something.

“They read the story I submitted to the community writing competition, and they want me to join their creative writing program on a scholarship.” And Kyungsoo inhaled sharply, before commenting, “The university is several hours away.”

Although nothing but silence rang in the air, the silence was enough to say this:

You and Kyungsoo were going to your separate ways.

“What are we going to do?” you asked again.

Kyungsoo clutched your hand tightly within his.

“We have to make the most of the time we have.”

 

"Without you this place is a lonely island.

You're my pretty girl who is written in my memories and cannot be erased.

My heart still beats in the place where you are gone."

 

The rest of Kyungsoo’s senior year had passed by in a blur, and he swore, graduation had arrived within the blink of an eye.

He had been sitting beside you, impatiently tapping his foot on the ground as the principal walked up to the microphone. You squeezed his hand tightly, as the principal announced, “And now, we have Do Kyungsoo, a talented writer from the graduating class, who will read us one of his writings.”

You mouthed, “Fighting!”, as he stepped up to the microphone with weak knees.

You let your eyes fall shut as Kyungsoo’s smooth voice rang through the air. He spoke, and the words dripped so naturally from his lips like sweet honey. His words painted a picture in your mind, a picture so clear.

However, you slowly opened your eyes as you began to recognize the story that he read. It was not just any story. Tears began burning your eyes, as you recognized the story as your story, the story of you and Kyungsoo, Peter and Wendy. Although it was short and concise, memories of your first meeting and your first kiss and your confession began running through your mind. You tilted your head up, and Kyungsoo, who looked quite handsome in his robe, was gazing at you with such a gaze that spoke, “I love you.”

Although loud applause was heard once he finished his story, your only wish was for anything but the story to end.

Your only wish was for Peter and Wendy to have the happy ending that they deserved.

 

"In the time that the gears of the clock have turned,

I wonder how much you've changed."

 

The day of departure had arrived.

The night before, your last night together, you had expressed to Kyungsoo that all you wanted was to lay in the soft grass of the park and gaze at the stars, as you spoke deep into the night, just like countless times before. Although you and Kyungsoo had done it innumerable times, why had it hurt so much?

Boxes were loaded onto bulky trucks, and your parents and your brother were already seated in the van, awaiting you. You and Kyungsoo stood before each other, avoiding each other’s gaze. Kyungsoo’s hand reached for yours, his loving eyes boring into you.

“I’m going to miss you so much,” he whispered, pressing his forehead against yours and running his hand through your hair.

“Me too,” you rasped.

Once you began crying, Kyungsoo pulled you into a tight hug, allowing you to bury your head into his chest and cry away your sorrows.

“_____,” your parents called.

“You should be going now,” Kyungsoo said. “Goodbye.”

“Goodbye.”

He reluctantly let go of you, wanting nothing more than to hold you in his arms and tell you that everything’s going to be alright as you trudged to the van. You stepped inside, hiding your tears from Kyungsoo. He heard the whirring of the van’s engine and forced himself to stay rooted to the ground. It would only hurt more to chase after you.

The van slowly began moving down the road, and Kyungsoo held back his tears.

However, he heard your voice shout, “Hold on, stop the car!” The window of the back seat rolled down, and you prodded your head out the window. You called, “Kyungsoo!”

And Kyungsoo ran to you.

He ran to you and pressed his lips against yours in a breathless, passionate kiss the moment he reached the van. Your lips moved softly against his, until they moved away once and for all. You ed a mysterious object into his hands.

“Take this,” you said.

Kyungsoo looked down in his hands to see a tattered book that read, “Peter and Wendy.”

It was the book that had brought you together.

“You’re giving this to me?” Kyungsoo asked.

You nodded.

“I want you to have this,” Kyungsoo said, slinging his bag off his back and pulling out the black  leather journal you had gifted him with. “I finished it. I finished the story and I want you to read it.”

You shook your head. “Keep it, Kyungsoo,” you said. “Read it and remember me.” Your fingers travelled to your chest, where they ran over the smooth metal of the Peter Pan necklace Kyungsoo had given you. “Besides,” you told him, “I have my Peter Pan to always watch over me and follow me wherever I go.”

You forced a crooked smile, before saying, “I love you, my Peter.”

And Kyungsoo forced a smile, as well, repeating, “I love you, my Wendy.”

You retreated back into the van, and the window rolled back up. The van started up once more, leaving for real.

Kyungsoo, left in nothing but a trail of smoke and dust, glanced down at the tattered book in his hands.

“My Wendy,” he called out softly. “My beautiful Wendy.”

 

"Although I turned to the last page written about you, I don't have enough courage to read on.

I'm going to erase all the sad words."

 

A teardrops falls.

And then another.

Kyungsoo realizes he’s crying and wipes the tears away with his sleeve. He’s standing in the attic, surrounded by items from his past. The black leather journal is gripped tightly in his hands, stained with blotchy ink and tear droplets.

However, out of the corner of his eye, he sees a familiar object resting at the bottom of the cardboard box. He immediately recognizes it as the tattered book- the last gift you had given him- and he pulls it out.

The pages are badly frayed and they smell oddly of withering leaves, but it is worth more than anything else in the world to Kyungsoo. He flips through the pages, imagining your soft gaze as your eyes travel over the words and your smile as you imagine the fairy tale coming to life.

After his separation, Kyungsoo had been so sullen that he threw the tattered book, along with anything that reminded him of you, into a cardboard box that was sent to the attic before leaving for college. Memories were forgotten, for his busy schedule and constant thoughts of studying allowed no room for sorrow or reminiscence.

And years later, Kyungsoo finds that there’s something he has never noticed before.

Inside of the back cover, there’s a faded messages, scribbled in ink. It read, “Peter’s last words to Wendy: ‘Just always be waiting for me’.”

Although the message is heartbreaking enough as it is, written beneath, is another message:

“Wendy will always be waiting for her Peter. Kyungsoo, no matter how many years pass by, I will always be waiting for you. I love you, my Peter. I love you, Kyungsoo.”

And Kyungsoo whispers softly, “I love you, too.”

 

"This is not the end of our story, for we will meet again."