0 5

Blind

 

A dark shadow passed by in the other's eyes as Kyungsoo stared into them and he knew he had struck a chord. Kai pushed Kyungsoo away and he did not resist. The bird boy sat on the bed beside, the dark light still evident in his aura. He exuded one that made Kyungsoo question his true identity. If Kai was truly an ethereal being as he had shown so far, why was he so affected by the mention of this mortal name?

"Where did you learn that?"

Kai's voice was quiet, similar to those moments when he questioned Kyungsoo about his actions but this time, he sounded more like he was questioning himself. Kyungsoo looked down at the floor and answered, his mind running through the memory of the other's troubled sleeptalking, "In the dreams. You were talking." The two of them looked at each other at the same instant and Kyungsoo felt Kai's gaze sweep through his mind with a crackling intensity.

All of a sudden, Kyungsoo wondered to himself if he really knew the boy well. There was just an eternity of mystery behind his eyes which never failed to make coldness dribbling his spine. He thought he had gotten used to it, but here he was, feeling the chill spread to his blood.

"No... I had to come..."

"Never.. Abandon..."

"My name is not Jongin!"

It wasn't until fifteen minutes later when the both of them were outside the house unchaining the bicycle that Kyungsoo realised Kai had simply pulled the dream out of his mind and saw them. That thought seemed to make Kyungsoo want to hop on the bicycle and ride away from the other, but he couldn't simply abandon him just because he was 'scary'.

Swallowing back his awkwardness around Kai, Kyungsoo bent down to pull the chain off the wheels in silence. The almost suffocating silence continued until Kyungsoo got up from the ground and sat on the front seat. He then turned around and gestured to the back seat, "Sit there."

Kai didn't seem to hear him as his eyes were fixed apprehensively on the bicycle. His eyebrows were so furrowed that Kyungsoo could imagine him thinking what this contraption did. "Kai," he tried again. The boy's eyes seemed unfocused and Kyungsoo noticed that his hands were beginning to curl up into a fist. He must really hate bikes. "Kai!"

This time, Kai turned his head immediately and stuttered, "Y-yes? What?" The first eye contact caught Kyungsoo off guard. What he thought was worry and distaste in the eyes was instead a mixture of loss and despair. "Get onto the bike,"  Kyungsoo managed without faltering their eye contact. Within a split second, the mixed emotions disappeared from Kai's eyes and were replaced by his ordinary disregarding gaze.

"Are you sure that thing won't get us killed?" Kai questioned disapprovingly, looking at the bicycle suspiciously. Kyungsoo felt relieved to know that the other was only worried about the bicycle, not anything... else. Kyungsoo tapped his fingers on the handbar and answered truthfully, "No it won't. Not really." When Kai returned his words with another suspicious stare, Kyungsoo sighed as he rang the bell once, "Come on. The university is far from here. We'd take a long time if we walked."

Kyungsoo made eye contact with Kai again and he saw Kai's eye twitch and he immediately knew what he was thinking. Quickly pulling Kai towards the bicycle, Kyungsoo said firmly, "I won't let you fly off. Again." The other's nostrils flared a little but then he made no protest when Kyungsoo guided him to sit behind him. He then placed a foot on a pedal and got ready to ride off when he realised Kai hadn't held onto him.

"Hold me," Kyungsoo said flatly without looking behind. He then realised it sounded a little lame, but pragmatically speaking, Kai had to. He quickly added afterwards, "You'll fall off if you don't hold on." However, Kai stayed silent and Kyungsoo could only hear his slightly ragged breaths. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes before tightly gripping onto the handles. "Fine. Don't blame me if you fall."

He then pushed forward onto the main pavement. He hadn't rode out for even a second when he heard Kai let out a muffled gasp on the first lurch and he felt a pair of arms wrap around his waist instantly. Kyungsoo couldn't help but smile to himself as the hold around him tightened every few meters or so. The bird, who could fly a few thousand feet above sea level easily, scared of a bicycle ride?

"I wonder what will happen if I let go of the handles."

"No you won't!" Kai half-screamed in protest behind him but Kyungsoo let go of the handles for the fun of it. The bicycle wobbled dangerously to one side and the boy behind him yelled as he buried his face into Kyungsoo's back. "You stop that right now. I mean it!"

Kyungsoo just chuckled and swiftly balanced the bicycle as he placed his hands back onto the handles. The ride resumed its smoothness soon after and Kyungsoo rode down street after street, nodding at a few shop owners along the streets, especially the middle aged lady who owned a flower shop round the corner. After a while, he then realised Kai hadn't relaxed his arms at all.

"I'm not going to do that again, Kai. You can relax," he told the boy, but he felt Kai shaking his head sideways on his back in a rushed manner, as if he were afraid something would happen if he moved another inch. Kyungsoo his lips as he turned his head around to the back for a moment. Kai was holding onto Kyungsoo, his face still buried into his shirt, only his head of brown hair showing.

Kyungsoo looked back to the front and continued in a gentler voice, "Nothing's going to happen to you." He stopped at that sentence when he felt Kai trembling lightly. Suddenly, he felt very sorry for pulling the prank. Kyungsoo made no other effort to convince the other and concentrated on getting them to the university compound safely. 

 

After what seemed like an eternity, Kyungsoo cycled into the compound through the back gate and he was glad to see that nothing had changed. The brick walls were still there, so were the ivy growing down it. Once near the bicycle stands, Kyungsoo came to a stop and tapped lightly on Kai's interlocked hands which were resting on his belly. "Rise and shine. We're there."

The other unclasped his hands and got off the bicycle, but not without losing balance in the first step. "Whoa be careful," Kyungsoo said as he hurriedly grabbed Kai's arm to prevent him from falling onto the ground. Once sure that he was sure-footed, Kyungsoo then got off the bicycle and pushed it forward into an empty slot.

As he locked the chains, he pondered on Kai's ashen face. When he held onto the other's arm, he had too noticed that the colour had drained entirely out of his face. It made Kyungsoo worry for Kai as in the month he had known him, he had never seen Kai so vulnerable. If all of his pride and wisdom coud be stripped away because of a single bicycle ride, he must have had a terrible experience with them.

Kai's face was still as white as sheet when they were walking through the compound a few minutes later, but by the time they reached the canteen which was near the exhibition hall, most of his color had flowed back into his complexion. The walk was relatively quiet and Kyungsoo did not think much, except trying to find out if there were any changes to the school building. There were none so far, which was good.

Suddenly, a question popped into Kyungsoo's mind and he blurted it out without thinking, "Kai, how old are you exactly?" He immediately shut his mouth, but the words had already escaped. Kai stopped in his tracks and peered over at him before asking, "Do you always ask that question?" Kyungsoo had wanted to say a simple "No" but the other's dark eyes had a sudden unknown effect on him which effectively made him stutter.

"U-uh no? If you d-don't want to answer-"

"In your human age, I'm twenty two."

When he heard that, Kyungsoo frowned back at Kai, "Seriously?" Kai batted his eyelids innocently at him and said, "What? Is that an insult?" "No!-" Kyungsoo shouted in his defence, then coughed awkwardly after realising that his tone was too loud, "I mean, no. You look way younger." After hearing that, Kai just looked at him and laughed softly. 

"Come on, your friends are waiting."

It turned out that Kai was right, well not totally. As usual, Yixing was late. Kyungsoo couldn't spot the Chinese dancer anywhere around the stage. Many people were milling around, some running around carrying props, some were just students popping by to check out the commotion. He was sure he had seen Chanyeol on stage- All of a sudden, the claustrophobic fear came back to Kyungsoo upon seeing the crowd.

He then froze in his tracks abruptly, unconsciously widening his eyes then closing. 

Look at that nerd.

Can you look away from your books for once?

What's so great about his drawings?

Don't listen to them Soo. You'll always have me.

"Kyungsoo!" It was the touch on his arm that brought him back into reality. He in a sharp breath of air and for a moment, his surroundings seemed to bright, as if someone had shone a torch into his eye. He shut his eyelids again to regain composure while breathing raggedly. "Leave it behind, Kyungsoo." Kai's voice seemed clear amidst the background noise which in his muddled conscience began to sound like static.

I don't want to go out Mum!

That Kyungsoo boy seems anti social.

Soo! Let's go cycling! All this paint is going to kill-

No.

"You're not going to get your colours if you keep thinking about these." At that sentence, Kyungsoo opened his eyes quickly and the images filtered away together with the white. Kai was looking at him with a slight hint of worry. Kyungsoo caught his gaze, then he felt his heart beating faster without warning. His breath then hitched a second later as he continued looking at the other. Kai blinked his eyes in worry and asked, breaking Kyungsoo's daze, "Are you okay?"

Kyungsoo widened his eyes in shock, then hurriedly turned away, biting his lip. What's wrong with you? Stop- Looking- At- Him. He strongly resisted the urge to pinch himself and sighed. Stop being weird-

"Ay bro!" a sing-song, but all too familiar voice exclaimed behind Kyungsoo, breaking his train of thoughts. The arm wrapped around his shoulders from behind before Kyungsoo could turn around. Although still distracted, he let out a small smile and said, "Junmyeon." The pale skinned male chuckled beside him before ruffling Kyungsoo's hair with a mischievous air.

"Nice to see you again," Kyungsoo said, his smile still intact as he patted his hair back into their places. Junmyeon had grown about two centimeters and his hair was coloured a champagne red, but the cheerful grin told Kyungsoo that the other was still very much the same person. "Junmyeon, I believe we have disscussed about public display of affection," a low voice chided behind them.

Junmyeon turned around with much gusto and greeted, "Hello Chanyeol!" While the two of them asked about each other, Kyungsoo shuffled over to where Kai was standing, staring at a painting mounted on a temporary stand. He then looked at the painting, only to find that it was a row of birds perched on a electrical wire outside a white-washed cottage. 

The two of them stood side by side in a slightly comfortable silence for a moment. Then, Kai said without any emotion, his eyes never leaving the painting, "That wire has killed many, many birds. Innocent lives." Kyungsoo had no answer for it. "I sometimes wonder why humans don't understand that animals have homes too."

At the last sentence, Kyungsoo vaguely remembered the burnt forest Kai had shown him a long time ago. The look on Kai's face was one of disappointment and bitter sadness, and it made Kyungsoo want to comfort him. "Hey Kyung," Chanyeol's voice greeted cheerfully behind them. He turned around and his heavy mood lifted slightly upon seeing the sight.

Junmyeon was just walking in an ecstatic mood behind Chanyeol while the tall man himself was grinning with a rather dorkily looking Sunyoung beside him. Kyungsoo had immediately recognised the girl. Her smiling eyes were honestly one of a kind. "Hello Chanyeol," he replied, then he nodded in Sunyoung's direction, "Hello Sunyoung."

"Hi Kyungsoo! Nice to meet you again," the girl greeted enthusiastically. She then slipped her arm around Chanyeol's and continued, "Oh hello! Are you Kyungsoo's friend?" Kyungsoo nearly panicked when he heard the question. He had wanted to go through with Kai what he was to be known to others earlier but the other incidents that transpired had made the thought fly out of his mind.

While he was still stuck trying to think of something to reply for now and thereafter, Kai surprisingly dipped his head respectfully at Sunyoung's direction and answered serenely, "Yes I am." Chanyeol looked at Kyungsoo with a questioning light but he stared back at Chanyeol blankly. The taller then turned his head towards Kai and asked politely, "I've never seen you around Kyungsoo before."

"I just met him," Kyungsoo immediately cut in hurriedly, "At uh- an art exhibition last week." By now, Junmyeon had joined them in their circle and poked his head over Chanyeol's shoulder comically. He asked rather innocently while scanning Kai up and down briefly, "What's your name?"

"I am-"

"His name is Jongin." Kyungsoo could instantly feel the angry stare burning through the side of his face. However, he kept calm and repeated, "Jongin. Kim Jongin." "Oh who have we here?" Sehun's drawling voice filled the air near Kyungsoo and it was like all of his previous had smoked into oblivion within seconds. Such was the effect of Oh Sehun.

The younger's face appeared in his sight soon after with Jongdae in tow. Sehun was dressed in his usual designer jackets and a cap adorned his hair. When Kyungsoo realised how similar Sehun had dressed to Kai, he clenched his fist in an attempt to supress his anger. "Hello Sehun. I have heard much about you," the boy said with a smile.

It seemed sincere, which made Kyungsoo look at Kai in disbelief. "Ka- Jongin-" Kai ignored him and continued, the smile intact, "I heard you're a talented dancer." That sentence sent shock waves through the small gathering. Sehun's face was one of apprehension and curiosity while Chanyeol's was one of complete shock.

Sehun then blinked his eyes multiple times before coughing and putting his insincere face back on. He replied, looking at Kai with slight judgement, "Thank you. And you're... Jongin?" Kai nodded in a friendly manner at Sehun and Kyungsoo saw the light switching on in Sehun's eyes. The very same reaction seven years ago when Kyungsoo had introduced his sister was replaying right in front of his eyes.

"Kim Jongin you say," the man beside Sehun said carefully, but not without amusement. Kyungsoo was never that close to Jongdae, but at least he helped him out with projects during their school days. It seemed that the years were not not etched into Jongdae's face as it seemed to be in the same flawles state as years ago. His mop of ebony black hair was still growing out in an unnaturally straight manner and his eyes shone with a constant amusement. Kyungsoo remembered avoiding Jongdae initially because of his eyes, thinking that he could be a mentally unstable.

When Kyungsoo looked back at Kai, he had a guarded expression on his face. It was not anger, or worry, but more of wariness. More than that, the other's smile had faltered a little and was almost glaring at Jongdae. For a moment, Kyungsoo forgot about his anger and asked, "You know Jongdae?"

"Nah. We've never met before," Jongdae said as he looked at his fingernails pickily. "I think I'd remember a guy with light brown hair." Kyungsoo looked hard at the black haired male upon hearing his statement. He then realised with a start that, Kai was the only one with chestnut hair among them. Kai nodded slowly as he looked down at the floor, "Yeah."

"Uh okay. But Jongin, do you know how to do any artistic stuff?" Sehun asked with a hasty tone, as if he weren't used to asking people. At this, Chanyeol immediately broke into a grin and agreed, "Yeah! Like drawing, dancing, singing, et cetera." Everyone looked at Kai after hearing that question, including Kyungsoo. Kai answered swiftly, "Singing and dancing. I can do both."

"Really?!" both Sehun and Chanyeol asked loudly in happy revelation at the same time while Kyungsoo's mind immediately filled with multiple question and exclamation marks. "Aish Chanyeol, calm down," Sunyoung scolded gently. Chanyeol immediately shut his mouth afterwards, but Sehun just whisked Kai away towards the stage in a whirlwind. "Yah!" Kyungsoo shouted over the crowd. Still, the pair had disappeared from his sight. He then stamped his foot on the stone floor in frustration to vent his anger.

"I know you really hate Sehun, but give him a chance, dude," Chanyeol said thoughtfully as he walked up to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo stared balefully at the stage while the taller continued, "It's not like he gets to meet someone who knows how to dance everyday." "Still he shouldn't have just dragged Jongin away like that!" Kyungsoo exclaimed exasperatedly, turning to glare at Chanyeol.

"Channie, look at that sculpture!"

"Sunyoung I'm talking to Kyungsoo."

"Oh oh oh it looks like a butterfly!"

"Dear-"

"There's so many of them!"

Kyungsoo let out a heavy sigh as Chanyeol got pulled away by Sunyoung towards a corner of the exhibition. At the corner of his eyes, he spotted Sehun and Kai on the stage, walking around as Sehun pointed out the stage equipment. Kai looked very interested in whatever Sehun was explaining to him and he cracked a grin as Sehun paused and then continued.

Junmyeon told Kyungsoo awkwardly as he walked towards the art gallery, "I'll... Go check on the glass. You know, fragile." He was gone from sight within a second.

The ever so familiar feeling of bitterness and jealousy coursed then through Kyungsoo's veins for reasons he didn't know. Okay calm down... Maybe what Chanyeol said was right. he thought to himself slowly, but his eyes soon found their way back to the stage emptily. All of sudden, he heard Jongdae's voice beside him.

"It's been a long time."

"I know. Seven years since I've seen you," Kyungsoo answered blandly. Jongdae shook his head and countered, "Not talking about that. I'm talking about Sehun. That kid hasn't smiled this much for a long time." Sure enough, the pair broke into smiles atop the stage as Sehun tripped over a wire. Kyungsoo then sniffed in a miffed manner but didn't offer anything in reply.

Jongdae joined him in scanning the pair for a silent while before saying, "That Jongin, he's really not what he seems on the outside huh." Kyungsoo broke his concentration and looked at the other questionably. Does he know...? No it can't be. "What do you mean?" 

"I'm saying he may be hiding something from all of us. He seems like that type."

"You can't judge people like that, Jongdae."

"Can't we?" Jongdae rebutted, a mad look flickering across his eyes like lightning. Kyungsoo then shuffled to the left a little in case the other went crazy. Jongdae continued musing in a calm composure, "Kim Jongin... Interesting name..." At this point, Kyungsoo had already taken a few steps backward to escape Jongdae's insane mutterings. Deep down in his heart, he was sincerely wishing that the other had never brought up the topic of Kai's secrets for he himself was yearning to know.

"Kyungsoo," Jongdae called out moments later. Kyungsoo froze in his position as Jongdae said, still facing the stage, "I think you should know that everyone has something to hide. Even the gods."

 

 

 

i can see the fever spreading
i can feel the faith is gone
even though it's all you've wanted