〈 Generation XX 〉

♀ 〈 Our Life as Female Superheroes 〉

Entry 01

GENERATION XX

Seoul, Korea
27 January, 15:00 KST

"You're sure of this?" 

His voice didn't flux, the ever perfect politician. His face remained mildly curious and she could detect the slightest hint of concern but that was it.

"Yes," she answered simply, keeping her voice confident. She allowed her face to morph into a blank slate, unreadable. "If not, then the project can simply be scrapped." 

There was a pause, a moment of tension and silence. She didn't blink, waiting and observing with steadfast conviction. 

Finally, a sigh.

He uncrossed his legs and leaned slightly forward, enough to allow her hope.

"Very well," he agreed, a tinge of pride painting his voice. "If you can convince the Council of it tomorrow, you may create this Team of yours."

"Thank you," she stated politely, continuing the game of politics as she stood and he followed. She shook his hand, feeling the weight and warmth of a palm familiar to her own. "I will not let you down."

"You will allow me to insert one of my own agents?" he requested, their hands separating. She nodded.

"I'm assuming the agent that has been watching over me," she reasoned. He nodded. He walked her to the door and paused, clearing his throat.

"I am proud of you," he complimented, shifting his weight. She smiled, feeling warmth blossom in her chest.

"Thank you," she responded, pressing a kiss to his cheek. "I shall see you at home Father." 

She opened the door and left, hearing it swing shut behind her with a resolute click

Tokyo, Japan
01 February, 21:00 JST

The paper door slid open, respectful and calm steps turning down the hall. She turned the corner and her steps turned more rapid, glee swimming in her eyes. 

She pulled out her cell phone, dialing a number with precision and practice. It took three rings.

"It was a success," she stated immediately, allowing pride to leak into her voice. 

"Congratulations," he replied smoothly, mirroring her tone. "The news stations have been salivating for the unveiling while the base has been completed this afternoon. All that is left is the members of the Team you are building."

"I already know who," she acknowledged, sliding into the prepared car and opening up a book as the driver started the car. 

"The Directory?" he reasoned, the scratch of a pen on paper audible. 

"Yes," she admitted flatly. "I must go now. I love you Father."

"I love you too. Go easy on your opponents," he responded, recognizing her tone. She hung up, tucking the cell away, and surrendered herself to slumber in preparation for the upcoming confrontation. 

She awoke with the cool barrel of a gun pressed to her forehead. The man who had been her chauffeur pulled her out of the car roughly, throwing her to the ground. 

"Move it," he ordered, taking her to meet her current captors. 

He didn't bother caring about the book she was carrying.

Busan, Korea
02 February, 06:30 KST

There. Her mission.

She walked calmly, the pinnacle of who she was - a simple flight attendant at the end of a trip.

"The flight is over," she informed shortly, shaking one of the plane's passengers by the shoulder. 

"Oh. Thank you for the notice," the teen stated, stifling a yawn and stretching before standing. "Do I get to learn your name?" 

"Mirae," she answered simply, eyes darting to movement outside before refocusing on her assignment.

"I meant your real name, not the one as your flight attendant cover," the teen corrected, pulling down her luggage and turning to the elder. "We will be seeing much more of each other from now on. The least you can give me is your real name."

She paused in reassessment then spoke, her voice soft.

"Minjung," she introduced. "Jang Minjung. How'd you know it was me?"

"I won't tell you quite yet," the passenger stated, smiling good-naturedly. "It is still a work-in-progress theory."

Busan, Korea
02 February, 09:00 KST

There was a knock on the door and she opened it a crack, blinking wildly when she saw unfamiliar faces. 

"Excuse me. Lee Dari, right?" the shorter of the two strangers questioned gently. Both of the intruders were dressed in neat suits, looking all the more presentable compared to the large shirt and basketball shorts she was wearing. "I'm sorry for the sudden visit. Your mother let me in as she was leaving for work, I hope you don't mind. My name is Choi Sooyeon and-"

She shut the door in their faces, opening her arms as a creature, fuzzy and warm, jumped up and curled up around her neck.

Zigzagoon. Evolves into Linoo-Wait! No! 

Too late. The creature in her arms shifted, fur less rough with a longer body and a tail that was almost indistinguishable from its torso. She sighed, feeling acute disappointment at her lack of control of her own powers.

She could hear the person outside speaking but she wasn't listening. She didn't need to. Inside was where she was safest. It was where she lived in a world that was, to her, real. 

Ulsan, Korea
03 February, 08:00 KST

"I apologize for the short notice," the shortest of the three girls apologized politely, taking sips of the offered tea in the lady-like way her mother always scolded her to use. The taller female on the right was just as calm, eyes closed without a single change in expression while the one on the left was hunched over nervously, making it nearly impossible to tell her height in comparison to the other two, and kept on playing with the edge of her shirt nervously. 

"You see, I am in need of your services, Park Miyoung," the girl continued, putting down the cup and placing a hand on the girl to the left's who, in return, stilled her hands and held the offered palm with her eyes turned downward. "The main goal is the creation of an all - if not mostly - female Team of heroes to combat the-"

"Will this help people?" she asked the female, looking at the string linking them - the stranger's index and her thumb with the strong purple (not red) that she had learned meant fate. 

"Yes, that is-"

"Then," she began, feeling a pull on her lips.

Daegu, Korea
03 February, 13:30 KST

"And this will benefit me in what way?" she questioned, tilting her head to the side boldly. The four girls before her divided her opinion; two were well-versed in etiquette from the high classes while one was just the normal neighborhood girl with her own unique set of problems whereas the final was obviously overwhelmed - perhaps a previous shut-in of some kind or a misanthrope.

"This will be considered a job as any other especially one of your talents, Hwang Hyelim," the shortest - the leader who was strangely hard to read - explained, pulling out a large packet and sliding it across the table. She picked it up and began reading, continuing to listen to the girl. "The starting pay shall be 100k won per month. Depending on our work, our pay can be further negotiated."

She glanced upward at the word 'our,' raising a surprised eyebrow but the stranger did not pause, continuing to speak in the rapid but digestable pace that delegates used during political debates.

"The living arrangments are, of course, assigned but any necessities will be provided for by the state. Luxuries will have to be purchased with your own savings and any personal objects that you bring may be taken back. The assignment is still temporary and a work-in-progress but the government has promised at least three years as a trial run and a month's notice in the case that our services are no longer needed. Any other concerns?"

Jeju Island, Korea
04 February, 06:30 KST

She blinked, watching with mild amusement and more pronounced surprise at the loads of words coming from the stranger's mouth.

"The Team will, initially, consist of all females and if satisfactory, may grow other branches in other parts of the world, which you and the other original members will have the opportunity to govern. Now, more members will be allowed to join and unlike other superhero foundations, this is a government-started program so the government will have a vote in our decisions during this time period. You will join our campaign immediately within the hour and be outfitted appropriately alongside our four other confirmed members-"

"You came all the way here with a bodyguard, at 6:30 in the morning, and interrupted me during my morning jog for that legal junk?" she questioned, interrupting the shorter of the duo that had caught her on her jogging route - no doubt directed by her mother. 

"Why yes. Of course, the political side of matters is none of your concern. Rather, there is only one question that you must worry about, Jang Ahreum," the girl explained, pulling out and holding a pen with the grip towards her. "Are you willing to join the project?"

Incheon, Korea
04 February, 14:30 KST

She couldn't help herself. dropped open, head swirling with all the information bombarding her without break.

"Wait, so, you're asking me to be a part of this big project?" she questioned, eyes glancing across the six females in front of her. "I mean, my power isn't even that uncommon. Is there a reason you chose me particularly?"

"Every single member of this Team was hand-chosen by me for a reason," the shortest of the six explained, her voice so calm, so confident, that she found herself entranced and almost thoroughly persuaded. "And that is why, Kim Jinju, there is only one more question you must answer."

"What can I answer for you?" she asked in return, deigning to push in some of her own power into her voice.

"I thought it was obvious," the girl proclaimed, brushing a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "That is if you are going to join."

Bucheon, Korea
04 February, 17:00 KST

"And this isn't a scam?" she questioned, looking suspiciously up at the females who had intruded upon her home, each dressed in an expensive suit but not all looking like the 'heroes' they claimed to be. Only two of the seven even acted remotely like what she expected heroes to act like. 

"This contract is completely legal. You may even call up a lawyer to peruse it if you'd like," the shortest offered, waving a hand at the giant packet of papers she had received earlier.

"And you're telling me you all are superheroes?" she continued to drill, her voice low. 

"What do you mean?" the shortest asked, clearly confused. 

"Hey, is this jade figure a werecat?" one of the girls questioned. 

"I mean, that," she gritted out, gesturing at one of the girls who was literally nose-to-nose with one of her mother's old vases. "That attitude is unprofessional and not becoming of a superhero. If this is real, I doubt that any superhero would ever-"

"Excuse me, Kim Soojung. There seems to be something you are misunderstanding. A superpower does not make a human a superhero and even with a superpower, a superhero is still a human," the shortest informed, the stranger's tone so commanding that her back straightened automatically at her words. "To forget that is fatal in this line of business."

Suwon, Korea
04 February, 23:00 KST

"So, Kim Ahri," the stranger offered, giving her an encouraging glance. "What do you say?" 

She looked at the strange ragtag group, feeling a strange sense of connection; good or bad, however, had to be determined later. She settled on a shrug and sighed.

"You're sure you want me?" she asked again carefully, keeping eye contact with the shortest of the eight. 

"Yes."

The answer was short said without hesitation. She grinned. 

"Why not then? What's the worst that can happen, right?" she finally agreed, rewarded with a smile.

Seoul, Korea
05 February, 2:45 KST

"Finally you're here!" came an unfamiliar voice above them. They glanced up, a majority of them surprised to see a tall woman in a lab coat staring over the edge of the balcony. 

"Jinae! Don't leave me behind!" another high voice called, almost whined, just as the woman jumped off the balcony and disappeared midair, appearing safely before them seconds later. After a moment, another female - just as tall - came out the door, slightly winded from the exertion, they could tell, of running down three flights of stairs so quickly. 

The shortest turned to the rest of them, her posture straightened and commanding.

"This is Rho Jinae, our biotechnological engineer who will be in charge of all equipment and maintenance of weapons and this base-" The female with the lab coat waved, grinning mischievously.

"-and this is Do Jenny, our legal consultant who will deal with all legal issues." The other female waved nervously, a tentative smile pulled onto her cheeks. 

"Ohohoh! Let me!" another female cried out, surprising them from behind. They turned and none of them could hold back the amused grin that threatened their faces at her eagerness and the strangely normal and yet out-of-place grocery bags in her arms.

"I'm Song Byurae, the media liaison," the girl introduced, her smile widening. "And this-"

The female beside her, also carrying groceries, gave them a smile.

"-is Lee Tami, this Tower's security guard." 

"Now that all of the members are here," the one who had gathered the group called to attention. "I'd formally like to welcome everyone to T.E.A.M Tower, the base for our Threat Engagement Analysis Mission; we will all be going on a rough ride from here on out."

Author's Note

And that is the end of chapter one. I hope you enjoyed. It's a quick glance at each of the characters and the busy recruitment process. Other than that, I don't really have anything else to say. I'm still debating the structure of the chapters so we'll see how this goes. Worse comes to worse, I can just edit it a lot. Anyways, good night and sweet dreams; I hope you defeat your villain tonight.