Ordinary

Ordinary

Staring at the outside is something that all students have done in their classes. It is not an exception to the wine red haired girl. This is one of the ways for the girl taking a break from the noisy class, from the suffocating Math lesson, from the breathless education system. A deep breath from the red head, her small palm supports her head.

 

“Hey~” A hand appearing in front of her vision draws her back to the class. Her sight follows to her best friend, Jeon Jiyoon. She shoots her an annoying frown as in shouting “what?!” at her face.

 

“The class finished, wanna go grab some snacks with us?” Her boyfriend-material best friend suggests. Instead of following her friends to a noisier place – canteen, she rather stays here, staring at the outside or just dozing off. A fainted smile draws on her face. The red head shakes her head to reject it.

 

After her best friend leaving with other classmates, her sight spots that girl. That girl who is a transfer student this year, sits at the corner at the back on the other side of the class. Drawing, she is drawing again. For some reasons, grins start to form on Gayoon’s face. She enjoys looking at that transfer girl focusing on something, especially drawing. It has been a half year that she has transferred to this school; yet, she is alone for the most of the time. She only talks when she has the Art class, to explain her drawing and share her thoughts about others’.

 

 

 

Laughs filled the Art room as the students were busy drawing portraits of their random partner. For the first month in this school, the girl with a hidden talent finally shined in her first Art class, even she did not want to be the spotlight. She was paired up with the red haired girl. Believe it or not, the red head, Heo Gayoon, was the least the transfer girl wanted to team up with. As the unique hair colour of hers and with a friend with green hair in the class, the transfer girl already had some bad perspective towards these two classmates and anyone related to them. She cursed deep down inside of her mind for being this lucky to team up with the trouble girl.

 

“Yah! Jeon Jiyoon, how dare you draw me like an alien!” Sohyun yelled at the green haired girl. Another person was laughing hard at her own drawing, defending for herself. Those laughs and dialogs were noises to the transfer girl. This was slightly ruining her mood. She frowned at the blank paper. A thought of drawing the red head already killed loads of her brain cells.

 

Before starting her first sketch, she needed to re-capture her face in her mind. The transfer girl popped out of the drawing board, taking a stare of the red head. The moment she captured her face, the moment she felt her heart fluttering, for the first time. It was not something she had experienced before. It was not something she knew what it was either. Not that she had never seen the red head’s face, but the scene of that red haired girl having an angelic smile on her face shocked the transfer girl. With her tongue sticking out a bit, the red head looked fabulous in that transfer girl’s eyes. All of a sudden, inspiration popped up in her mind like a click – she had to capture such moment.

 

Hearing what her friends fooling around, Gayoon laughed at their silliness. A few minutes of calming down, the red head brought herself back to the fact that she was paired up with a new student. Meeting new people was her weakness as she was too shy to start a topic with the girl. Stealing glances from the girl sitting opposite her, Gayoon was stunned by her beauty and how focusing she was. Things like this are called falling with the first sight. Gayoon had never looked at her face more than 2 seconds and when she did, she fell for her. Somehow she loved how the girl looked so concentrated on her drawing. She could not help but smile like a dork.

 

There they were. Their eyes met, for the first time. Electricity ran through their bodies. Both of them looked away and soon realized that why the heck they had to look away to make things more embarrassing. The girls tried to look into their eyes once again but then it was again too awkward to do so. The situation repeated for a few times and one of them had to stop this.

 

“I’m…” The red head started first. “I’m…I’m Gayoon, Heo Gayoon.” Right after introducing herself, she cursed in her mind madly for such lame introduction. “What the heck did I just introduce myself, gosh!” She thought.

 

To her surprise, the transfer student seemed feeling less awkward as the girl showed her teasing smiles, like laughing at her silly action. That giggle shines to Gayoon, capturing her heart as well.

 

“Kim Hyuna” This is the second time Gayoon listened to her voice and looked right into her eyes, without embarrassing moments. They owned this moment, just two of them, peacefully.

 

Time flew by fast; the lesson came to an end. The girls exchanged the portraits, before handing out their works. Gayoon was dazed by the vivid drawing that she could not believe that girl drew like a professional.

 

“She can make it as a living to be quite honest.” She mumbles while scanning every single sketch carefully.

 

When Gayoon tried to praise her for this amazing work, she found the girl named Hyuna dumbfounded, staring at her drawing.

 

The drawing had totally broken the first impression of the red head “trouble lead”. Not that Gayoon had drawn her like how Jiyoon did to Sohyun, instead her drawing showed the bright side of her that the transfer girl had never found out. All the time Hyuna was told that she was too quiet, introverted, hiding herself. However, Gayoon found the bright side of her that she did not even believe she could look that delighted in her life.

 

“I ruined it, sorry.” Gayoon tried to take the drawing from the transfer girl but the latter one refused to give it out.

“No!” The brunette transfer girl raised her voice and realized she might have scared her.

 

“It’s perfect. I mean…it’s really good. You didn’t ruin this master piece.” Smiles slowly formed on her face. Their eyes met again.

 

That little moment of them were precious and short. As soon as the teacher had found their great work, a surge of students appeared from nowhere but around the two girls. Atmosphere changed quick, ruined their little awkwardly sweet moment.

 

“Wow, you two are talented, should join the competition.” The Art teacher pointed at a poster of a competition held by the school, which required team work. Both girls followed his direction and stole a glance from each other.

 

“Nope. I appreciate that opportunity but I don’t work with other people.” The transfer girl rejected immediately, noticing a change on Gayoon’s face. She upset her.

To Gayoon, it was such a great chance to know this girl even she did not understand why she got the urge to find out more about Hyuna. Yet, everything in her mind just blew away at the moment the brunette rejected the offer. Smiles on her face froze. It was too late for her to eve fake smiles as Hyuna caught her.

 

“Sorry, I’m used to draw alone. You can find another partner though. I’m pretty sure you’ll win this.” All the comfort words the brunette tried to say but none worked to the red head anymore. And Hyuna knew she screwed things up already as the latter one remained silence.

 

“Don’t reject me first. I’ll give you two a few more days to reconsider it. It’s a great chance for talented students like you two to shine. And hey! The Winners could actually join the competition held by the Nation and win a trip to Paris. Think twice!” The teacher insisted, sensing the will from Gayoon.

“But…” Hyuna wanted to protest but got rejected.

 

“No But. Reconsider it! You might wanna change your mind tonight. Go have your lunch.” The teacher nudged them off.

From that moment, Gayoon decided to get this girl to join the competition, no matter what.

 

 

 

Three months have passed, the brunette finally agreed to take part in the competition with the red head with a condition: Discussions must be conducted before we start our first sketch. That means the two girls would have a lot of time spending together and it fits exactly what Gayoon wants even she does not notice that how deep she falls for this girl.

 

The red haired girl stands up and walks towards the corner where Hyuna sits at. She has something up her sleeves to get more moments with her. Finding a seat right next to the brunette, she stares at her with mischievous smiles. Soon, the latter girl finds uneasy feelings around herself, following the direction where she finds the awkwardness.

 

It’s her, her new “gangster” friend, Heo Gayoon. Being stared is definitely not the thing she wants while having her own peacefully world – drawing. She used to hate it, and hide more, avoid eye contacts or just leave the place. But this time, she looks right into her eyes, finding herself falling into another world. Her smiles shine on Hyuna, as if attracting her to fall deep.

 

“What?” She resists herself from staring too long at Gayoon, focusing back at her drawing.

 

“Nothin’ Why aren’t you spend some time with your classmates?” Surely she has asked her about this question for thousands of times; yet, the girl still has not given her an answer but she knows why: she just dislikes the noisy environment, just like her.

 

“Like what? Going to toilet together or sharing snacks? You know I don’t do these stuffs.” Without taking a glance at the red head, the transfer girl continues her sketch.

 

The taller girl laughs it off, switching her attention to her drawing. Within a second, she suggests something that Hyuna will probably reject.

 

“Hyuna, do you have time on Saturday afternoon?” Gayoon grins like she is having toothpaste commercial.

 

“Yes…Why?” Apparently, the brunette slows down her sketching pace, paying extra attention to what comes after.

“Come to my house.” Her joyful tone shocks the brunette as if it is nothing special. The shocking statement from Gayoon causes the quiet girl stops everything in her hand.

 

“What?!” Hyuna faces Gayoon with her widened eyes and opened mouth.

“The deadline is next month and we have yet come up with an idea.” The red haired girl makes up the best reason to make the girl say yes to her.

 

“No. We can work it after school. I’m available today.” The transfer girl acts chic as usual.

 

“I can’t think after school. School days already drain me, Maths, Eng, History, blah blah blah… My brain only revives on weekends.” First time for the taller girl to whine at school stuffs and act childish in front of someone else besides Jiyoon, the fact of it amazes herself as well. The impact of Hyuna affects her beyond what she can think of. In the same way, an impact from Gayoon is forming to break down the walls built inside Hyuna’s heart.

A whiny Gayoon is a whole new world to the transfer girl. She finds her cute, very cute. She supposed to protest against her suggestion but then she is speechless. Knock down.

 

“Okay! I’ll pick you up at 2 then?” The red head tilts her head and shows a goofy smile.

 

“I haven’t agreed to it.” Hyuna drops her pencil and widens her eyes again.

 

“2 o’clock?” Her protest is completely ignored by the red haired girl. There is no way for the brunette to reject right now, just like the way Gayoon convinced her to join the competition. She is always irresistible.

 

Hyuna lets out a sigh, nodding slowly. Then the girls share a little of awkwardly peaceful moment until Gayoon picks up her pencil and starts something on her drawing.

 

Before stopping her, she finds that something blending perfectly into her sketch. Usually, she would scold at the person who ruins her drawing but again she acts unusual around her.

 

“This looks better, don’t you think?” Gayoon grins like a child, but soon realizes that she should never touch her drawing as she has seen that Hyuna went mad when a classmate tried to take her drawing away just to take a look. Smiles freeze with a slightly frightened face. Slowly, she puts down the pencil.

 

“I’m sorry…I…” It is too late to undo everything. Basically, she cannot undo her work on her drawing. However, Hyuna bursts into laughs. Her eye smiles and the way she covers , are all a beautiful movie shown to the red haired girl.

 

“I’m not gonna hurt you. It’s ok. In fact, I think it is perfect that you added the flower on the girl.” She comforts the frightened girl.

 

“Why you haven’t drawn the face yet?” The taller girl gains her breath back and focuses back on the sketch.

 

“Don’t really have an inspiration.” Hyuna supports her head with her palm, sighing at the fact that she is lack of inspiration lately.

 

“Do you mind leaving this part to me, I’ll finish it today? Take it as a trial and see if we could use this method on the competition work.” Indeed, this can save them time to figure how to collaborate on an art work. Therefore, transfer girl has no objections against it.

 

After school, Gayoon returned the finished sketch back to the owner. It amazes her, very much. Once again, she is impressed by her sketch skills. However, what makes her impressed more is that feeling of the sketch, the feeling of the character.

 

Gayoon draws the face of Hyuna, emphasizing her eyes, the stares. When the transfer girl looks at the sketch, she cannot believe that is her in it. The person in the sketch is attractive, fierce and irresistible. Yes she does find it lame when those words appear in her mind but it is what it is. For the second time that Gayoon is able to point out something she can never see it in herself. Those stares in her eyes are exactly like the way she falls for Gayoon. Now this red haired girl officially caught her attention.

 

“So…How’s it?” The taller girl is waiting anxiously for an answer from the latter one. And her voice brings the transfer girl back to the reality.

 

“Oh! Uh…I..love it.” Hyuna tries hard to shift her eyes on her impressive red haired friend.

 

“You sure? You can say the truth, you know…” Her comments mean a lot to the taller girl. She tries to get a clue from observing her reactions but she cannot tell if that is the truth or not.

 

“Yes…No one ever drew of me. I appreciate that a lot.” Finally she shows her shy smiles to her, assuring the taller girl. Her smiles are relief to Gayoon. Knowing that the girl enjoyed what she has done for her, it is such an encouraging reward.

 

“So 2pm on Saturday, right?” The brunette asks shyly, stealing glances from the girl. It makes her grin.

 

“Yes! I’ll pick you up at 2. Gimme your phone, I’ll enter my number then you can send me your address.” Never has she put on such wide smile on her face. Never has she noticed that her impact to her. Never has she figured out that she has already fallen in love, with her, Kim Hyuna.

 

The day comes fast, so does their friendship. They get much closer than before. Sometimes Jiyoon wonders if the girls knew each other before since they look like they are the old best friends instead of her and Gayoon.

 

Here they are, in Gayoon’s room. Both of them are no longer the awkward girls, stealing glances from each other. Now, they can stay comfortably around, chatting without worries, even staying in her bed.

 

Her room is filled with drafts they have tried but none of them is good enough to satisfy both girls. Instead of forcing themselves to brainstorm, they decide to rest on bed, watching TV. Soon, Gayoon falls asleep, with herself facing Hyuna.

 

A silent moment causes the transfer girl wondering why Gayoon did not bring up another topic which she used to continue the chat for them. The brunette takes a quick look at her friend, realizing the girl falling asleep right beside her.

 

Sunset light falls on her red hair, making her hair shine even more. Her long eyelashes do not need any make-up product to extend the length, making her more feminine. Pale skin reddens because of the warmth of the sunset. And finally Hyuna stops at her lips, staring at her heart-shaped lips. It makes her wonder how such person can exist in the earth with all these perfect and beautiful features.

 

A moment of struggling if she should wake her up or enjoy the view she is having, the brunette caress her reddened face, her cheek bone with her thump. Happiness is found on Hyuna. Somehow she enjoys this little heart-racing-feeling, she enjoys the skinships, she enjoys this moment of silence. But more important is that she enjoys spending time with this red head who she used to dislikes a lot.

Everything changes when they meet: her attitudes, her personalities even the way she talks. She cannot believe that this red haired girl changed her life completely.

 

Gayoon opens her eyes, finding that the girl smiling at her is shocked and retracts her hand fast. Hyuna is about to turn around, leaving the bed.

 

“Don’t! Just stay like this, please.” She almost whispers the word please at the end as she realizes this might cross their line.

 

The moment is sweet, the moment is awkward. The moment is owned by these two, only these two. Sweet things are never complicated. It can be simple just like this, staring at each other, smiling at each other as long as both of them enjoy this. This is enough.

 

Sunset light shines too bright that the taller girl can barely see her face, yet she spots her typical and most beautiful eye-smiles. Every time she sees her eye-smiles, it has some sort of magnetic elements to attract her, get her closer. More magical part is that the magnetic elements will always, always make her take action first.

 

At the moment, Gayoon only has the urge to fix her messy hair for the girl, or maybe her girl. Reaching out her tiny hand, putting the loosen strand of her hair to the back of her ear, the red haired girl seems losing herself by staring right into her eyes. In fact, both of them get lost in this moment. Without noticing, her hand slowly moves to her neck and her thump caressing her face as what Hyuna just did minutes ago.

 

The taller girl leans closer and closer. Faces are inches away. Scents combine as one. Breaths hit on each other gently. The longer they fall into the stares, the closer they are getting, until their lips meet. Soft lips collide on another one, melting as one. Everything is sweet like marshmallow, soft like cotton, yet hot like the sun.

 

Sunset ends slow, so does their kiss. That first kiss links both girls together, links two worlds together. It ends with smiles on both faces, an assurance from both sides.

 

“I think I just got an inspiration.” As usual, the red haired girl starts first and the latter one nods to her statement.

 

“Me too” Their grins are wider and brighter than anytime. The kiss starts a new page of them, also a new path for their Art interests.

 

Five months later, the couple was announced that they won the competition and will have a chance to join the Global Sketching Competition, spending most of their time together, drawing each other. Mostly, it would be Hyuna drawing of Gayoon and the latter one sits beside her girl, observing her concentrated face. As always, Gayoon loves to fix her messy strands of hair for Hyuna while her girl is drawing. She puts the strand of her hair at the back of her ear; however, her hand trails her jaw to her chin. She turns her face to her, pressing her lips on hers, surprising the brunette.

 

A simple gesture, a simple kiss and a simple goofy smile can capture Hyuna’s heart. This is exactly the reason she falls for Gayoon: everything is just simple as they are. The brunette grins widely, wrapping her arms around her girl’s neck, deepening the kiss, caught Gayoon off guard by her sudden aggressive action. In that private room located at the back of the changing room in the school, this place is the house of them, spending time together, drawing together, sharing love together. Looking at the sketch that they won in the competition, Hyuna feels like she already won everything. A drawing of two girls lying on bed, one of the girl puts her hand on another one’s neck, staring at each other. The sketch is simple, just like their love beautiful and pure. They shared a moment since they met, it did not fade away; in fact, it lasted until the end and will go on and on.

 

 

 

--------------------------------------

Remember your promise, silly girl.