One More Chance

How Many Times

Sungyeol exited the main arts building, pausing for a fraction of a second at what he saw, before continuing on his way as if it were nothing.

So far, his day had been grand; he'd gotten a ninety-two on his economics paper, finished most of his homework during study hall, successfully re-enacted a scene from 'Hamlet' in his drama class, and had just been told by his professor that he'd be perfect for a part in a short film being produced by a close friend. All of which led up to this moment, when Sungyeol felt like somebody had just dropped a boulder on him.

Less than ten feet from the doors stood Kim Myungsoo, Sungyeol's roommate and boyfriend of two years, with a small, cute girl studying music. And they were kissing.

Sungyeol's fist tightened around his bag, and he walked away from the obscene sight briskly. It wasn't the first time this had happened. In the past month alone, there had to have been at least five occasions where Sungyeol saw Myungsoo  or kiss some girl, and each time Myungsoo had been forgiven. Each time Sungyeol had told himself he wouldn't let it slide again. Each time he had lied.


Entering his dorm, Sungyeol let the door fall shut with a bang behind him. He dropped his bag by the door and crashed onto the bottom bunk with a heavy sigh.

After lying there for a few minutes, he fished his phone from his back pocket, deciding to text his boyfriend. He smiled sadly at the contact name.

 

To:Myungie

​From:Sungyeol

Myungsoo, we need to talk when you get back. I don't think things are working out.

 

The boy stared at the black letters on his phone's screen, finger hovering over the send button. Finally, settling the internal debate going on in his head, he pressed it.

Heaving himself into a standing position, Sungyeol moved to sit at his desk. He pulled out his papers, hoping to distract himself from the other matters at hand.

Less than ten minutes later, the door slammed open to reveal a disheveled Myungsoo.

"Myungsoo? What-" Sungyeol was cut off as the other boy flung himself forward, arms latching around him tightly.

"Tell me you're kidding." Myungsoo breathed.

"Myungsoo," Sungyeol attempted to pry the other's arms away.

"Say it, Yeol. Tell me you're kidding." he repeated.

"We have to talk."

After a few gentle pushes from Sungyeol, Myungsoo finally let go.

The younger let out a sigh, sitting down on Sungyeol's bunk and looking down at his lap. "What do you want to talk about?"

Sungyeol opened his mouth, about to snap at him but stopping himself quickly. "I don't know how many times it's happened, and I know that you know what I'm talking about."

Myungsoo's eyes met Sungyeol's. "Sungyeol, I'm sorry. I really am."

"Stop apologizing! You know it's not going to work out! This isn't going to work!" he gestured between himself and Myungsoo.

"I know I've apologized too many times. And you've forgiven me every time. Honestly, I've treated you like and still... you were still there for me."

"My professor signed me up to audition for a short film. If I'm accepted, I'll have to stay somewhere closer to the set."

"I'm not letting you leave me."

Sungyeol looked at Myungsoo, eyes wide.

"Since when do you have a say in this?"

"One last chance. Please, just one last chance. Let me prove that I only want you."

Sungyeol scoffed. "Grow up, Myungsoo. Stop playing around."

"I'm serious! One more chance." Myungsoo grabbed Sungyeol's hand desperately. "And if I fail, I'll never bother you again. Promise."

"I'll have to think about it." Sungyeol said softly. He stood up to grab a change of clothes, heading to the bathroom for a shower.


Sungyeol walked out of the bathroom to find Myungsoo asleep at his desk, papers full of handwritten lyrics spread around and under his head. He unconsciously reached out to brush the hair from the younger's eyes, only realizing what he'd done when Myungsoo stirred.

The boy's eyes fluttered open. Myungsoo's hand went up to rest on Sungyeol's nape and he pulled the latter down gently, kissing him softly.

They pulled away a couple seconds later. "One more chance." Sungyeol murmured. Myungsoo smiled at him, overjoyed with his answer. He stood and climbed into his bed. "Goodnight, Myung."

"Goodnight, Yeollie." Myungsoo leaned over to peck his cheek before heading to wash up.


The next morning, Myungsoo went out early and came back with breakfast for him and Sungyeol. Afterwards he insisted on walking the other to his first lecture, even though his own wasn't for another hour.

"Honestly Myungsoo, I know you're trying to prove yourself, but I'm perfectly capable of walking across the campus alone."

"Of course you're capable. But why go alone when I can come? Besides, the weather's great."

"Fine." Sungyeol sighed, "Just don't cause a scene."

Myungsoo sent him a kitten-like smile in response.


"Everybody's looking." Sungyeol hissed.

From the moment they'd left their dorm, Myungsoo had wrapped an arm around his boyfriend's waist to guide him through the hallways and along the paths.

"Good."

"Good? No, bad! Very bad!"

Myungsoo chuckled and pinched Sungyeol's cheek. "Cute." he cooed.

"Stop that!" Sungyeol swatted the other's hand away.

"But it's not my fault you're being adorable!" Myungsoo leaned in to give him a quick peck on the lips, which resulted in him receiving a slap on the chest and more (adorable) whining from Sungyeol.


By the time Sungyeol had finished his morning classes, at least twenty people had asked him about Myungsoo. Each time he'd answered with an apologetic smile, saying he had somewhere to be and rushing off.

He sat down at his usual table, and all of his friends immediately fell silent, staring at him expectantly.

"So?" Sunggyu asked.

Sungyeol laughed nervously. "So?"

"Oh please, hyung. People can't change overnight." Sungjong rolled his eyes.

"I still don't get why you haven't broken up with him yet." Howon stated.

"We talked last night. I'm giving him one more chance." Sungyeol sighed.

"Another?! You say that every time!" Woohyun exclaimed. "Sungyeol, this has to stop."

"Hyung, it's the last chance. I promise."

Dongwoo patted him on the back soothingly. "Just... don't let yourself get hurt. Okay?"


"Why did you call us here?"

Sungyeol's five closest friends were squished into Sunggyu and Woohyun's small dorm.

"Myungsoo's getting another chance." Sunggyu started, "I want all of you to keep a close eye on him whenever possible."

All of them nodded in understanding.

"If you see that bastard making a move on somebody, tell us right away. We'll figure out how to break it to Sungyeol." it was as if Woohyun was saying it would happen.

Howon spoke hesitantly, "Hyungs, I think he's serious this time. I saw him after classes. Girls were practically flinging themselves at him, but he walked on like it was nothing. Hell, he didn't even acknowledge them!"

Woohyun pursed his lips. "Still, be on the lookout."


Sungyeol and Myungsoo's relationship had gone smoothly for almost a month now. They'd gone on dates, bought each other small gifts, and done all the other things couples do.

The audition for the film had gone wonderfully, and he had been chosen for the part. He took the subway to Yongsan every Friday night and returned every Sunday morning.

Sunggyu, Dongwoo, Woohyun, Howon, and Sungjong were beginning to accept that Myungsoo had changed for the better.


The film Sungyeol was starring in was finally being released. It was called In a Heartbeat.

Nine months from Myungsoo's promise, and he was still by Sungyeol's side. He had driven Sungyeol to the film festival where the movie was to debut.

"Are you nervous?" Myungsoo squeezed his boyfriend's hand.

"A bit." Sungyeol was obvious more than a bit nervous. His palms were moist, he was biting his lower lip, and the heel of his shoe tapped anxiously.

"Don't worry. I'm sure it'll be absolutely amazing." he leaned in for a quick kiss before the lights dimmed and the opening theme started.

Sungyeol played a young man whose mother was extremely ill. He had come from a poor family, and worked multiple jobs so he could gather enough money to pay for her treatment. Along the way, he met a pretty young girl at the hospital.

Myungsoo's grip on Sungyeol's hand tightened.

In the scraps of spare time when he wasn't working, studying, or tending to his mother, the man would meet the girl. The became close quickly, and the attraction between the two was quite obvious.

Soon, the young man had saved up enough money for the surgery. His mother was to have it in a week. It was a success.

The girl was supposed to meet the man to celebrate, but she didn't show up to the restaurant. The man called and texted countless times, receiving no reply. In a frenzy, he rushed to her house, pounding on the door. Her sister answered, eyes watery and nose red. The girl had passed away from heart failure. She had suffered con heart disease since birth, and her condition had slowly worsened as she grew older.

As the on-screen Sungyeol began to cry, Myungsoo couldn't pry his eyes from the screen. He decided that he never wanted to see Sungyeol cry because of him. Ever.

The credits rolled, and the audience applauded profusely.

Amazingly, the film won all three of its nominated categories at the award ceremony afterwards. Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and to Sungyeol's pure glee, Best Lead Actor. The moment it was announced, Myungsoo threw his arms around Sungyeol for a bone-crushing hug and a chaste kiss, then urged him to go on stage to accept his award.


It had been a year since their new beginning, and Myungsoo was graduating soon. With the help of his parents, he was renting an apartment no too far from the campus. He wanted Sungyeol's family to meet his own before he moved out of the dorm.

"We should meet on our one year anniversary! That would be the best thing ever!" Myungsoo had been babbling about the event for five minutes straight.

"Myung, I want to leave a good first impression! I wouldn't know what to get them as a meeting gift, or how to act, or anything!"

The said boy laughed and wrapped an arm around his distressed boyfriend's waist. "Don't worry, Yeollie. They'll love you."

"And if they don't?"

"Then your parents will probably hate me, so we'll be even."

"That's the worst plan ever. Like, as in all eternity ever."

"Aww, but then we can run away together! It'll be like all those forbidden love stories!"

Sungyeol smacked Myungsoo. "Idiot."


After about an hour of Sungyeol whining to Myungsoo about what to wear, how he should act, and more of his endless worries, the two were finally dressed and ready to meet their parents for dinner.

"You look great." Myungsoo took Sungyeol's hand, locking the door to their dorm behind them. They got in his car and took off to the restaurant.

As it turned out, Myungsoo was right, and his parents adored Sungyeol. They told him afterwards that he was polite and wonderful to be around.

In turn, Sungyeol's parents congratulated him on being able to snatch such a handsome boyfriend, and wished them the best in the future.


After graduating, Myungsoo became a professional photographer. He attended wedding banquets and did family photos, and soon he was able to pay his rent without parental support. He met with Sungyeol as often as both of their schedules allowed.

Sungyeol graduated the following year, and he moved in with Myungsoo. He continued to pursue his acting career, and after six months of small jobs, he recieved a major role in a largely anticipated movie. His fame continued to grow from there.


Their relationship stayed strong, and Myungsoo proposed to Sungyeol in the spring of their sixth year since meeting. Sungyeol was a crying mess, and he had said yes without a moment's hesitation. They got married in autumn of the next year. It was a grand ceremony, and all of their friends from university attended. They continued to make wonderful memories and share loving kisses, even in marriage.

The two of them lived happily together for many years, through all of the tough times, reminiscing about the past and dreaming about the future. Their future.

Throughout their lives, how many times did Myungsoo tell Sungyeol he loved him? How many times did Sungyeol tell Myungsoo the same thing?

You could say too many, but I don't think that's possible.