From Spring to Winter and Back Again

A Season Called Spring

The story continues in Bomi's point of view (which is 1st person point of view). Tell me what you think :)


From Spring to Winter and Back Again

The night’s black canvas had taken hold of my gaze. The car Chorong and I were traveling in bumped up and down the country road as though it was a single corn kernel popping inside a bag of popcorn while cooking. Even after all this time my heart still aches. I still sigh and think of “could’ve beens”. Yet, I’m still not sure how exactly to talk about it- about all these bottled-up feelings… BUT, a quiet night is a boring night.

So, with the desire to make small talk I ask, “Chorong?”

Chorong was half asleep while at the wheel, but alert enough to respond, “Yeah? You need something?”

“Can you take me back to yesterday?” I said under my breath.

Screeeech- the car came to a sudden halt.

 My head flung back and bopped against the headrest, causing a throbbing pain around the back of my head.

 “Ahhh, Unnie why did you do that?!” I cried with much anger.

Chorong turned and looked back at me. I suspect she looked at my furled up brows. Her face was somewhat pale.

“What?!” Chorong laughed. “Pffft! How can you do that? Lol, yesterday? Really?”

“That’s not fair! It’s a legitimate question… sort of,” I responded

She rubbed my head with her delicate hand; I assume she noticed my hurt.

“I’m sorry I stopped the car all of a sudden. It’s just that I didn’t know how else to react.” She pressed on the pedal and continued driving down the obscured road.

“Fine, I forgive you, but please don’t do that again.”

My fingers interlaced and I began to shudder from the wintry cold air. It is early December, which in turn means that winter will soon be in full bloom. The windows are closed and the heater is on, but sure enough, the cold is somehow able to permeate the inside. I cannot wait until the two of us reach our lodging place in an area where trees outnumber the high towers of the city. Yet, I feel a bit of sadness that our other members couldn’t join us. They had already made plans to go to their own homes before we had planned the trip. Chorong and I were totally unaware so it was a derp moment when we announced the trip. But, I’m sure they won’t be missing much. I mean, it will just be us two having some time to relax and chill out in a small cabin. Nothing special at all is planned…

The car began to slow down as we passed by a sign which read…Yeah, I didn’t bother reading it; I’m too tired now. I wonder how tired Chorong is. Ah, it don’t matter, she’s the one driving, not me! I begin drifting slowly into dreamland, when all of a sudden: Chorong smacks the life out of the horn, *HOOOOOOONNNNNNNKKKKK*.

“Hey, don’t fall asleep, Bomi~ya!” she scolded. “We’re already here, so just fall asleep in the cabin, by the fire all romance-movie like.”

I pulled at my hair in frustration, “Ahhhh, fine!”

The car turned and Chorong parked it soon after. She stepped outside while I sunk into my seat. She finally opened the door and gestured her hand.

“Come out,” she said.

 I was like Aaauuughhhh, it’s cold! But I relented and helped unpack. We packed lightly- it was just a two-day retreat after all. We hastened to make our way to the small cabin that had been especially reserved for us. I love cabins.

We let down our cargo by the entrance and Chorong didn’t hesitate to open the door; she briskly twisted the knob and kicked open the door. We stepped inside and it was pretty dark, with us only being able to perceive our surroundings with help from the moonlight that scarcely shone in through a window. Chorong struggled to find the light switch, and when she found it she let out a sigh of relief; I’m pretty sure she just wanted to dive into bed at this point. But, the lights were finally on and we were finally able to appreciate our temporary abode. It was cute, being a wide space for a living room, but nothing much occupied it-except a sofa that stood brilliantly in front of a fire place (but the fire hadn’t been lit), a table, a lamp, and the unlit fireplace of course. There was also a staircase that led to the bathroom and two upstairs rooms, meaning the two of us wouldn’t have to share a room; yay? It might get a bit boring and lonely because of that, but I guess it’s okay since we just came here to “pause and reflect at life”.

“C’mon, Bomi! Let’s kick off our vacation by…Sleeping!!!” Chorong languidly announced.

Man, I guess it’s okay not knowing how to drive if someone does the driving for you…I love you, unnie. Nonetheless, I walked her to bed and she knocked out! She started snoring too, to boot!

“Oh, Chorong,” I sighed as I tucked her in.

The room was cozy, tiny when compared to the living room. The bed was pink, sitting at the corner of the room and it was more special because, now it had the privilege of carrying Sleeping Beauty on it… After a couple of minutes of staring out the window and admiring the starry country sky, I went back down to finish bringing the Rong-leader’s stuff to her room and mines to my room. Now it was my turn to settle into bed and let sleep carry me off into a night filled with dreams and wonders…But it didn’t.

I tossed and turned all I could, but it was all in vain *sighs*. I rubbed my eyes and tried once more to sleep, but pppffftt- I couldn’t! It was funny because just a little while ago I was dead-tired, but now I was a wretched, sleepless, person. I got down from bed and pulled the curtains that hung by the large window. I sat by there, again admiring the beauty that is so often taken for granted- of the moon that sits like a wise, old, king and the stars that sing glory and praises to him as they dance and sparkle amidst the sea of a darkened heaven. I wonder how the moon or the stars would respond if I were to ask them of their thoughts regarding the inability to find rest and of the travesty that is so frequently called “love”. Would they care? Would they even answer? *sigh, deep sigh* Stupid JR… I don’t know… this is just how I’ve been feeling lately…

But, my attention was soon diverted as I made out a figure in the distance, a mystifying figure that stood between two evergreens. “Is it a fairy?” I questioned. I rubbed my eyes just to make sure, but it was still there… “Maybe it’s a person?” I wondered. It looked like your typical ghost, with a long white bed sheet and all. But it’s still freaky nonetheless, because- WHO in their right mind would play dress up as a ghost at 2 am in the morning? If it is human, I mean.

“Should I go check?” I asked myself. I dawdled for a small bit while biting my nails, but my eyes kept being drawn to that figure. I didn’t care any longer. I decided that it’s better to do something than to lie in bed aimlessly without sleep at all. I quickly unpacked my trusty baseball bat, cleverly named “Lil’-Panda” and made my way to Chorong’s room. I twisted the doorknob and it creaked horribly. Chorong was startled from sleep, and she hurled her pillow at me.

I wanted to play some hehehe (especially ‘cuz the lights were off in her room and the lights from the hallway were dim), so in a hearse voice I went, “I’m your nightmare: The Manager!

But, she didn’t realize I was fooling around so, she quickly got up and put me into one of her arm locks…Not fun at all. My right arm began to burn with pain while my left hand clutched onto the bat.

“It’s me unnie! Please stop,” I pleaded, “it hurts!”

“Ahhh, what are you doing?! You kid!” she exclaimed as she let go of my arm and pushed me away.

“I’m sorry, it’s just that you gave me the chance and well, I thought it was unfair…”

“What was unfair? How you nearly gave me a heart attack? Man, Bomi!”

“I’m sorry unnie. It’s just that I couldn’t get any sleep.” I dropped my bat which in turn drew her attention to it.

“Were you planning to kill me twice over with that bat after having me die from a heart attack or something?”

“What?” I squealed. “Of course not- ugh… It’s complicated.” I began to massage my arm in hopes of soothing the sharp pain that Chorong had just inflicted.

Chorong pulled her hair behind her ear and sat upon the mattress of her bed. She patted the space next to her and said, “I’m sorry. Come here.”

I nodded a “Yes.” and sat by her, after which I told her of the ghastly figure I saw in the distance from my window.

“I think it’s one of two things, Bomi~ya. It’s either fatigue, or you’re finally crazy. I knew it, yup, yup. I called it.”

“What…”

“Yup, I’m not surprised, but I still love you Bomi. I’m here for you.”

“No, unnie. I am not crazy. Look, I’m pretty sure you could still make out that mysterious thing through your window. It looks like a ghost!”

Chorong yawned as she stretched out her arms. “Okay, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.”

I dragged the half-awake leader from bed all the way through the five steps in order to reach the windowsill. I instantly spotted the figure still there, now sitting between two densely green trees.

   “I don’t see anything…,” she mumbled.             

“That’s because your eyes are closed. Open them up and you’ll see.”

  Chorong opened her eyes halfway and yawned some more. “Okay, I see it. Imma’ go back to bed now.” Then she finally started to snore.

She would’ve gone back to sleep right there by the window, but I didn’t want her to catch a cold …so I carried her off to bed, ehem, I mean dragged her to bed.  I laid her to rest amidst the soft, welcoming, embrace of her pink colored bed.

“I’m going to see what that thing is,” I whispered into her ear.

“Yeah…Okay… good luck,” she slurred.

I quietly made my way out of her room with my bat in hand and embarked into the night after I had slipped on a jacket. That thing better be worth my time and effort, or else I’m going to have some fun with Lil’-Panda. I took my steps with caution as I ventured out of the cabin. I wanted to make sure the atmosphere was just right. If I were to run like crazy swinging my bat around then I’m sure that ghostly being would make a run for it and my endeavor would’ve then ended in vain.

            But after a couple of minutes I found myself only a short distance away from where the thing was. It was still sitting between the two trees but, now that I was in close proximity to it I noticed something was off. The way it seemed to slouch upon its knees or something with its head hung low gave it a melancholic feel. Also, its back seemed awfully familiar to me. It reminded me of the time my eyes were stayed on JR’s back when he walked away from me. Nevertheless, I put all my chips on the table and stepped closer to it, with only a few feet of gap separating us.

“Hey you!” I exclaimed as I pointed my bat towards the mysterious figure.

The blanketed being then turned to meet me and I fell on my as soon as I saw its, or rather his eyes. I could not believe it; it was as though I had fallen asleep somewhere and was now in the midst of a dream, a sweet, no…a bittersweet dream. I lost all the energy I had and even lost the tight grip I had on my bat, maybe even losing the grip I had on reality as well… All because of his eyes- his eyes that seemed to have absorbed the moonlight and all its beauty.

“JR, what are you doing here?” I muttered.

He stuttered, but quickly reached into his pocket and pulled out his glasses. He put them on, but quickly took them off again and wiped the lenses with the white blanket he had draped over his head. His hands quivered a little, but he succeeded in placing them back on his face, and then he looked at me with disbelief.

He stood up from where he sat and the white blanket fell to the ground. “Bomi is that you?” A small smile crept up his face as he approached me. “I knew I recognized that voice, but I thought I was just hearing things. What are you doing here?”

“I asked first…”

JR’s hand retrieved the blanket and he set it out as he said, “Sit here, or else your will turn green because of the grass. It already happened to me without realizing it until it was too late…”
“Okay,” I answered as consented to his request. “But, now you tell me what you’re doing here at 2 am in the morning.”

“It’s kind of a short story really. Mark and I rented a small cabin out here so we could get away from the bustling city for at least a weekend.”

I smiled a little when I heard his response. It seems like the two of us had a similar wish for some peace and quiet. Nevertheless, still wanting an answer for his being out in the cold, I said, “That still doesn’t explain you being out here right now…”

“Well, Mark has been having these nightmares…And he has picked up a bad habit of sneaking into my room and afterwards creeping his way into my bed whenever he has one of those nightmares… I was fine with it at first, but he has gotten way too clingy Aaaaand now he also snores. So, in short I just wanted a breath of fresh air.”

“Why were you pretending to play ghost?” I asked with an uplifted brow.
His eyes displayed bewilderment, “Sorry what?”
I pointed at the blanket.

“Oh, you mean the blanket? I brought it out here because I thought it would get too chilly. It’s almost winter, you know.”

“Yeah, I think I can tell because of the cold…The first snow hasn't fallen yet, but winter has begun to bloom.”

I saw JR’s cheeks slowly rise, exposing his cute dimples, and then he looked at me.

“I guess you’re right,” he replied.

His words though not at all special struck something deep inside my chest. His response was sincere, but I felt he was deceiving me with his dastardly smile. I knew he wanted to talk about something else- about us and I too so desperately wanted that as well… but I didn’t. I chose not to talk about us for the sake of enjoying this precious moment.

 “How’s life been treating ya?” I casually asked.

 JR was busy twiddling his thumbs as he tapped his shoes together; he was distracted.

“JR, I asked you something.”

“Huh? Oh sorry…What did you say?”

“I asked, ‘How has life been for you?’”

JR stretched his legs out and took a deep breath. “I’m good. How ‘bout you? Everything’s aight?”

“What’s aight?”

“It’s a word Mark taught me. It’s another word for cool I think.”

“Okay…But, I’m fine… I guess…”

JR again snuck in a smile and under his breath said, “That’s good…”

 I heard him, but I chose not to say anything in response. Instead I thought about that special present he had just gifted me, of letting me know how he actually cared enough about me- about how my “I’m fine” brought him a smile. I would’ve been happy enough to have just remained as a trifle for him, or even a brief “Bomi? Oh that name seems familiar…”, but no I actually brought him a smile.

Despite the warmth that my heart was exuding on account of all of this, the air soon became colder and I felt as though it was penetrating my bones. I was about ready to leave as I got up when he stopped me...

He looked up at me. “Where are you going, Bomi?”

 “It’s getting really cold. I think we should both return home. Chorong might be worried, and I’m confident Mark’s worrying for you. He might’ve had a nightmare. Just imagine how troubled he’d be not to find you around”

JR abruptly stood up and tugged on my sleeve. “Don't leave. Mark could wait a bit longer. I don’t think a little nightmare could kill him. Let’s talk some more…”

I wasn’t quite sure what to make out of his request so I answered, “Talk about what?”

JR smiled again, “About whatever you want.” His eyes were sincere and pure like the calm waters of a clear blue stream. I could also see his words as they fleeted from his lips in the form of vapor (most likely because of the cold).

His visage made the air around me heavy and I felt as though I was now slipping into a pool of water. My chest tightened and my breath began to escape me as though I was now drowning deeper and deeper in his eyes. And a heat began to envelop me, forcing me to fan myself with my hands. BUT, I knew I had to be steadfast in my conviction. I needed to know what his end goal was; why he was wanting for me to stay. He couldn’t possibly just want my company because I knew I wanted more than to simply be next to him.

I couldn’t be vague and continue beating around the bush, so I scoffed and replied, “Let’s talk about love.”

He grinned. “What do you mean, Bomi?”

 “Well, what does love mean to you?”

He sat back down and folded his legs together. He began to think, and after a minute or two came up with the most pathetic answer, “I don’t know… It depends on who the one you love is, no?  You can’t possibly love your parents the way you would love tacos or something.”

It was not fair at all. He knew exactly what I was hinting at, yet he chose to throw a curve ball. Nonetheless, I, after musing his response, said, “Well, that’s for sure. But I’m thinking about a romantic type of love, like Romeo and Juliet.”

 “Oh that type of love is bad. They ended up killing each other, you know.”

I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. “Of course I know that, but c’mon. You know what I mean. I’m talking about the type of love that is portrayed in dramas and stuff like that…I mean, I know that type of gushy romance isn’t exactly ‘for real’ per se, but… C’mon, JR. Let’s be honest here, what do you think that type of love is? How would you describe its substance?”
JR looked to the space between his lap, and he subtly spoke, “Well, how would you describe it?”

I had a brain-fart. “Uhm, I haven’t really thought about that…”

“So, it’s not that easy coming up with an answer then. I’ll be honest. I’ve tried so hard to come up with a definition myself ever since the last time we met, at the movies all those months ago, but I really couldn’t give it a textbook definition. I don’t think it’s possible.”

He stood up and shook the dust off his pants. I took a glance at his rear and noticed it was stained by the grass. I guess he really meant it when he told me to sit on the blanket which was now also stained green. 

“How about we come back here tomorrow and try to come up with an answer then.”

I shrugged my shoulders, “Fine…”

So with that our small, maybe even destined, encounter ended: with the two of us parting ways, heading back to those who were presumably waiting for us.

 

-End of Part 1-