A Season Called Spring

A Season Called Spring

 

            The clock’s hands had struck noon once again *tick, tock, tick, tock.*

 WTF? Even something as quiet as the clock’s movements sounds like thunder to me. I am alone just thinking…just thinking about the past.  I can’t move forward without looking backwards. Is that wrong? I guess I will just stay here the rest of the day…

 All of the members have gone home, to their parent’s home, for a week’s vacation. Mark and I are the only ones here, but he went off for an errand.

I am afraid. I am afraid to remember how I missed spring. Spring: when the flowers bloom and their fragrance is carried away with the wind. Had I only known of your heart’s longing for me, then maybe I would not have hesitated… But, maybe it was simply destiny that withheld my lips. Maybe you were not for me and I was not for you. Even so, I miss you, my love, my spring, my unique flower bud. Maybe if I wait- surely spring would return, wouldn’t she? But, I guess that is enough for now… Now I will find comfort in the arms of my friend Mark. Perhaps I will let my heart open up as I lay my head next to him or on his shoulder.

 Thirty minutes flew away like nothing while waiting for him. I was glad to hear his graceful steps approaching. It was like the trotting of a stallion: strong and admirable.

“JR, whatcha’ doin? C’mon, let’s go have some fun! How about we go for a drink? Just you and I?” let out Mark’s tender lips.

How could I resist his amicable ways? I will go. “Hold on, let me get ready,” I told him.

“Okay, but hurry! We might make it in time for a movie if we leave now!” said Mark.

“I thought we would drink.”
“We can do both if you get ready quick enough.”

As soon as I finished getting ready Mark clasped my hand, pulling me forward and out of the pathetic idleness I was trapped in just a small while ago. We left shortly. Stepping outside, a cold February wind blew against us. The skies also were colored gray. Perhaps the heavens had resonated with my somber feelings. I guess, maybe, it’s just me... Mark is as cheerful as always though; I think I understand why he is so often stalked now…

“What’s wrong JR? You don’t wanna watch a movie?” Mark asked. “We could go to the arcades or something if you want.”

I was distracted as always, but answered, “Nah, I’m okay. I’m just trying to decide what movie we should watch.”

“How about a horror movie? It’d be fun to see you leap into my arms!”

“No, I’m not too fond of those.”

Anyways, we continued walking over to the cinema; it was only a few blocks away from our dorm. As usual, girls began to creep up from all sides of the street. I could hear their endless giggling and the distinct whispers that followed a camera’s flash even from a block away.

“Jinyoung, I think we should walk a bit quicker.”

I nodded in agreement. Nevertheless, the girls too sped up their pace. Why they would not give us a moment’s rest will always be a wonder to me.

About five minutes later we finally arrived at the cinema. It was no surprise that the ticket seller was also a girl. She too was also giddy to say the least, but it in a cute way. I haven’t gotten used to our fame yet. Notwithstanding, Mark bought two tickets for us and into the screening room we went.

“It’s a romance movie between a werewolf and vampire!” he told me.

“Oh that sounds good!” I remarked.

The film promptly started and so did the making out… Not too ashamed, were they? Seriously, there were couples everywhere making out, drenching their lips in saliva and scarlet lipstick. Mark was turning to look at them with his eyes wide opened. I think he was curious to say the least. I don’t blame him.

He looked at me with the most awkward look. His deer-like eyes met with mine and they were locked onto each other’s.

 “I’m sorry hyung, I can’t satiate those cravings. Maybe Jackson could, but not me.”

“What? OH No…,” said Mark, “I was just wondering if you have to go to the bathroom. I have to.”

My cheeks became hot. I was a tad embarrassed, “Uhm, yes, yes I do. I have to poop. It’s probably the ice cream I ate for breakfast. My cheeks are clinched!”

Mark took my fingers, interlacing his, and we left for the bathroom.

Looking down at my business swirl down the toilet as I flushed, I realized something: don’t eat ice cream for breakfast.

After thoroughly washing my hands I diligently made my way out of the bathroom. Mark, being the good friend he is, was waiting outside the entrance. I was cold and so I was happy to know he was there because I felt I as though I was on the verge of collapsing. His smile, though, was enough to bring some warmth to me.

 “Jr, you okay? You look pale,” said Mark as he patted my forehead with a hanker-chief he had retrieved from his -pocket. He continued to attentively dry my sweat. I’m so glad he’s here with me now.

“I’m good, but how about we sit for a while in those seats across the girl’s bathroom,” I said as I motioned my hands to the left.

We sat and I kept my head low. Mark took a glance at me. I think he noticed I wasn’t feeling so good after all I had let out.

“JR, Imma go buy something to drink. You want something?”

“No, I’m fine,” but I quickly took that back, saying “Water, can you get me some?”

“Yeah, sure,” said Mark as he got up. He walked over to the concession stand; I could see him from where I was resting.

I had scarcely lifted my eyes when I saw a girl coming out of the bathroom. She was beautiful. It was at that moment that I realized she, Spring, had arrived again. She spotted me staring at her and came by. My hands began to get clammy; it was the girl whom I loved, so I could not help but to begin sweating. I’m sure that the beads of sweat just then at that moment equaled the amount of times I had lost sleep over her. I’m also sure that I was sweating more now than when I had just come out of the bathroom.

“Hi, JR! How are you doing?” she asked- as if she had not seen my pale face at all.

I stood up and greeted her, “Hi, Bomi. You came here by yourself?”

“Uh, no. I came with a friend. Didn’t you? Wouldn’t that be weird?”

At that point Mark had begun walking toward us, but he halted shortly after. I think he perceived the “situation” I was in. Probably thought he would cause a disruption to say the least. But, I wasn’t remotely comfortable of this current state of misery and uncertainty I was tossed into.

I pointed at him and immediately replied, “Him, I came with him on a date!”

And I was an idiot. Really? A date of all things for me to say. And I couldn’t just stop there, so I brought him next to me and introduced him.

Soon enough her friend Chorong came and they left together.

Mark and I would follow suit. We drank the night away. He asked me if that was the girl I liked, but I didn’t answer. I know she won’t take me now after I denied my feelings once much lest twice, so what’s the point of discussing “ifs” any further…

At least I have my good buddy Mark by my side!


I made some changes here and there in hopes of making the story better.. I think it got better lol