The Watchers

The Dead Woods
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The inside of the cabin was lit by only a small candle in the center of the table; the lack of light struck Hakyeon as odd but he shook it off, stopping only just inside the door to wait for Taekwoon to grab his things. To his surprise, the taller man stepped over to the table and took a seat, motioning for the both of them to take the other two. Hongbin glanced at Hakyeon first, almost as if asking why they weren't leaving yet, but he did as Taekwoon bid and sat down, crossing his hands on the table in front of him.

Hakyeon did no such thing. Crossing his arms over his chest, he fixed Taekwoon with a dark look, ignoring the way his little sister suddenly paused to glace between the two of them with a frown on her face. "Why aren't we leaving? Wonshik has been gone for hours, we need to go after him before..." he cut himself off before he could finish it, but the words were lingering in the air. They all knew the price for waiting, and a flash of anguish went across Hongbin's face as he too turned to the hunter questioningly.

Taekwoon had calmed since outside, gotten a hold on his emotions once more, so that only his lips tightened for a moment before he motioned for Hakyeon to take the chair. "There are things that must be said before we go," he said softly, and though Hakyeon would rather remain standing, Taekwoon fell silent, just watching him as he waited for Hakyeon to sit.

And so he did, grudgingly crossing the floor to pull out the chair and sit down in it, pulling the bow off of his shoulder and leaning it against the table. Taekwoon's eyes lingered on the bow for a moment before he lifted his gaze to Hakyeon's face, only briefly before he turned away to look at the table. "Do you actually know how to use that?" he asked softly, and Hakyeon's temper rose once more. He opened his mouth to retort angrily but Hongbin's hand made its way to Hakyeon's knee and squeezed hard, drawing a squeak from him instead. The baker's pointed look was one to remind him that they needed the hunter's help, not his anger, and so Hakyeon took a deep breath and tried again.

"Yes, I have hunted rabbits," he said through ground teeth, and Taekwoon nodded as if he hadn't noticed any of the tension in the room.

"Good. You'll need it in there."

"What are we waiting for? What's in there? Do you know what has Wonshik?" The questions spilled from Hongbin as if he could no longer keep them in, and Taekwoon bobbed his head slowly as he considered his answers. Hakyeon wished that he could fully trust the man, wished that he would simply tell them everything instead of picking through what to tell them, but he only ground his teeth and waited.

Taekwoon's sister stepped close to the table, whispering something in her brother's ear before she moved back out of the light of the candle. The way the shadows fell over her face hid her features, but there was still that strange slack appearance to her that made Hakyeon curious. She met his eyes for a moment before dropping her own, moving back further until he could no longer make her out. Their mother... didn't they have a mother? Hakyeon glanced around the cabin to search for her but caught Taekwoon's glare, and stilled his curious gaze.

"The woods are dangerous, Hongbin," Taekwoon finally said, his eyes still on Hakyeon's face as if daring him to search the cabin again. "Before I will take you in there I need you to promise some things to me. If we get into trouble in there, you don't ask questions, you just fight. If I give a command, obey it. Do not speak when we are in the woods. Don't ask questions. And don't touch anything except the ground you're walking on."

"Why?" Hakyeon blurted before he could stop himself, leaning forward so he could watch the hunter's face more closely. "Those seem like silly rules," he continued, ignoring Hongbin's press on his knee once more. The girl shifted in the shadows, the movement a bit peculiar as if she had lost control of her body for a moment and spasmed, and Taekwoon's gaze turned immediately from the two men to look at his sister. She gave a soft sound, a strange word that Hakyeon didn't recognize, and from his position he saw Taekwoon's brow crinkle in concern. He moved as if to stand but she motioned for him to stay, shaking her head before shuddering once more, and leaving the room in an almost shuff

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter