Dark News

The Dead Woods
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The villagers got back to town that night in a sour mood, most holding their own confidence and only speaking in quiet, angry mutters. Hakyeon longed to draw Wonshik aside and talk to him about what he'd seen at Taekwoon's house, but Wonshik had shaken off his hand when Hakyeon reached for him, with an admonition of 'not now'. It was late, tensions were high, and Hakyeon wouldn't be surprised if several of the more volatile men headed back to the Jung's tonight under cover of darkness to go through with the call for fire.

He brushed it off as not his concern, though he couldn't help but to feel a flicker of guilt at that. He knew how it was to be the outcast, having always been a bit different from the others in the fact that he had very little family when he was growing up and fewer friends. Now he had gained a position of at least congenial respect, but he knew how quickly that could fade, and as such, he wasn't quite ready to stick his neck out for someone that he was certain would not return the favor.

'Enough dark thoughts,' he sighed inwardly, running a hand through his hair as he pushed open the door of his home with his foot. Unstringing his bow, he propped it beside the door and headed in to wash up, more than ready to fall into bed and let his dreams take him.

The following morning he was half surprised to not see smoke in the direction from Taekwoon's home; either the hunter had shot the men who wanted to burn him out, or logic had prevailed and no one had made the attempt. Hakyeon hoped it was the latter, and for everyone's sake.

He made his way into the fields, stopping at the old tree where he always met with Wonshik to wait for his friend. He desperately wanted to speak with him about the previous evening, but knew that after Sanghyuk's return, he might not come out to the fields that day. His mother accepted that he was a grown man, but she was still overprotective of her son, and Hakyeon had to admit to a bit of jealousy.

"Ho, Hakyeon," Wonshik's low call pulled him out of his thoughts, and he flashed a half smile at his friend before picking up his lunch pail to head for the fields. Wonshik caught his arm, though, and turned him back around to shake his head at him. "Not today, man. The mayor called for everyone to stay in their homes until he can get the Knights out here to investigate."

Wait for... "That could take weeks!" Hakyeon exclaimed, but Wonshik only shrugged in response. The Knights of Coursia were men trained in magic and battle, men who could certainly take care of whatever might be causing the... that... but they were stationed a good five days ride from the village! That was counting on a fast horse and a lot of luck, too. 

"I know, but it's what he wants. He already sent Youngjae out at dawn with the fastest horse in the village," Wonshik said, rubbing his forehead as if to relieve a headache. "Everyone is up in a panic and looking at even neighbors they've known their whole lives like they might be the ones responsible. It's... well..."

Ridiculous, is what Hakyeon's mind said it was, but the look on Wonshik's face gave him pause and he realized that his friend was genuinely afraid. Rolling his shoulders in discomfort, Hakyeon looked away from his friend and up the path toward the fields. "The crops will die if no one cares for them," he said stubbornly, and Wonshik gave yet another shrug.

"I know," he said again, "But the mayor says that it's necessary. We can get the Knights to spell the crops back to health again."

"For a price," Hakyeon rebutted, shaking his head. "One I am not willing to pay. One we villagers can't afford. I'm going if I'm the only person who gives a damn." And before Wonshik could continue, he pulled his arm free and headed down the path toward the fields yet again.

He wasn't the only one

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter