Ken and Ravi

Target
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jaehwan took a long sip of the steaming tea, but set it down after as it did nothing to quench his thirst or put him at ease. He stared at the puffs of steam. It looked like foggy ghosts, which was funny to him. He always found unfunny things funny. If he’d worn his glasses, they would be fogging up, too.


 

“Stop with that expression,” Wonshik grumbled as he set down the tea pot.


 

“I can’t.”


 

Wonshik’s sister, Jina, kept stalking in and out of the room awkwardly. Most days, Jaehwan found her childishness cute and never minded when she wanted in on gossip or would go on about Hakyeon, Hakyeon, Hakyeon. If she wasn’t Wonshik’s sister, she would have indeed been very attractive. Only wearing a tank top and lace shorts, her cleavage poured out which was hardly discrete.


 

“N’s gone. He’s just gone, and here we are, sipping tea.”


 

“Don’t make it sound like we’re not trying. What are we supposed to do, where are we supposed to start?”


 

“This wasn’t supposed to happen. I was going to help him. I was going to make him better,” Jaehwan said.


 

It was Wonshik’s turn to find the tea unappealing. Then he noticed rolls of tears down the other’s face, one stream venturing down his nose as he ducked to hide them. “Hey,” hesitating, he put a hand on Jaehwan’s knee in hopes of comfort. He heard boxes sliding coming from down the hall and thought, Now’s really not a good time, Jina. Be a good girl. Stay.


 

“He couldn’t have vanished. Did you check his apartment, his room? His office?”

 

Jaehwan gulped. Was that a nod Wonshik saw? Then Jaewhan shuddered, using his sleeve to wipe his face.


 

“We can go check around again. It’s Hakyeon we’re talking about, I’m sure wherever he is, he’s doing just fine. C’mon, the guy’s captured hundreds of low cases before without even a scratch.”


 

Choking and sniveling, Jaehwan was grateful he hadn’t worn his glasses, for he fell forward into Wonshik’s chest kind of hard. He dug his fingernails into the jean jacket Wonshik wore, trying to dig up the ease he needed.


 

“Jaehwan… Ken,” he said, crouching down more so that he could embrace his friend’s body fully. He smelled of Hakyeon’s cologne. He must’ve borrowed it. That expensive stuff he liked to flaunt around about. I haven’t hugged you like this in so long. We’ve only been fu-


 

“I remember when we got those cheesy nicknames,” Jaehwan giggled suddenly, belaying the thinness of his voice. “I haven’t heard that in forever. What was yours again? Ra…”


 

“Ravi.”


 

“That’s right. I only remember Hakyeon’s because it bothers him so much when we call him that. We were the Three Stooges of Fresh Start. Ravi, N, and Ken.”


 

Wonshik found himself smiling. He pecked Jaehwan on the crown of his head, remembering how time flew since then. They’d thought up those nicknames nearly three years ago. My how things had fallen apart, my how his own heart had changed. He pushed aside the pit of jealousy that relapsed when he remembered the crush Jaehwan used to have on Hakyeon. That was before Wonshik confessed his own feelings.


 

“I have to tell you something,” Jaehwan said just then.


 

“What is it?”


 

He sank farther into the chair, and Wonshik went right along with him. Wonshik’s eyes grew as he fell into Jaehwan’s lap, but it was a gentle motion that must’ve taken a good amount of strength. Wonshik learned early on that Jaehwan wasn’t weak. In the sense of muscle power, and endurance. Which was surprising because he was so skinny. Really, he was skin and bones. Wonshik felt like a child in a position like that.


 

“I think someone kidnapped Hakyeon. Someone took him. That’s what I think.”


 

“I’m listening,” Wonshik thought his voice sounded small.


 

“I have a theory. Or more of a gut feeling…”


 

Jaehwan seemed off-putting because of the dumb act he always showed, trying to make people laugh, trying to be friend’s “daily dose of coffee”. People found him annoying, and Wonshik could never figure out why. He was his vitamin. A happy pill. But he was brighter than anyone could’ve imagined. He was a genius. If he had thought of a hypothesis, he very well could be onto something.


 

“I think someone found out he was in the hospital and took him. Someone with amazing stealth, or unique abilities. I don’t think it was Fresh Start. Not Min Joon. Not any of the committee.”



 

“Someone with unique abilities. What do you mean?” Then Wonshik’s mouth fell. “Do you think… That low case from way back when-”


 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter