Chapter 1

Special Institute
Please log in to read the full chapter

Special Institute

- Chapter 1 -

 

“It's the third time in two weeks, Hyukjae.”

The boy looks his mother. She is not angry, just blunted. As usual after this type of event, they are sitting in the lounge with two cups of tea and some cakes.

Hyukjae touches his aching face. Maybe tomorrow he'll get a bruise on his cheek.

“I know but it's full moon and…”

“I know, I know, but your father can't help another time... He's not that powerful.”

“Yes, mum.”

Hyukjae feels guilty. He causes many problems to his parents. He knows it but he can't help it.

“We discussed this with your father and we decided to send you to special institute for people like you …”

“Like, a prison?”

“No, no, no! We refuse to do such a thing! What kind of parent would we be if we did that! …It's an institute for people who can't control their conduct. It's a good institute! We hope it'll help you to control yourself.”

“I don't have a choice, right?” Hyukjae says after a moment of silence.

His mother shakes her head. “No… Next time, we won't be able to stop the police from arresting you…”

Hyukjae looks at his hands. He has no choice. It will be better for his parents and for him. He can't continue to live like that.

“Okay... I'll go to that place…”

 

 

 

 

Hyukjae looks at the building standing high behind a big wall. It looks like an old hospital from early 20th century, with walls made of white stones and a big metallic portal.

His parents press the bell and, after a moment, the portal opens with a creaking sound.

A concierge sends them to a big hall.

There, an old man with a sweet smile comes to meet them. He's wearing an old grey costume and has a walking cane.

“Welcome! You must be Lee Hyukjae, I presume?”

Hyukjae nods.

“It's nice to meet you. I'm Mr Lee Soo Man, director of this institute. Can you stay here a moment? I'll talk with your parents and after I'll show you around.”

The boy stays in the hall and looks around. There are a big wood stairs leading to the top floors.

Around him, there are many objects and paintings in this room: old and modern objects.

In his right, on the wall, there are many pictures, little and big ones, drawings or paintings, some realistic and other more abstract.

One of them catches Hyukjae's attention. It's an intriguing drawing. He moves closer to look at it. It looks like a scrabble but Hyukjae notices two black eyes between

Please log in to read the full chapter