5AM

Have We Met?

The silent buzzing of a fruit juicer reverberated against the walls of the kitchen, an ivory machine against the onyx setting. A hand held a tall glass ready at the bottom to receive its blended portion, a unique mix and match of oranges, strawberries and celery. The man swallowed a few cautious gulps of the juice and left some as he placed it back on the counter beside a plate of croissants. He tore a piece, placed the other half back and munched on the other. Passing by the collections of his 22 prized Rubik’s cubes possession and a few newspaper clippings of him and his Grandfather, he danced to the beat of ‘Fine China’ playing in the background. Heading back into his walk-in closet, his fingers brushed past the colour coordinated neck ties. His fingers stopped at the black one, picking it up and placing it on himself. A shorter left side, a longer right side, one on top of the other, two turns, slip back to the middle, adjust it to a proper triangle and pull it down to perfection. He chose the skeleton watch, put his suit over the baby blue dress shirt and straightened the sides.

 

Upon final touch, he pinned the hotel’s insignia over the left of his suit jacket and golden name tag, GENERAL MANAGER printed right next to his name: PARK JINYOUNG.  

 

 

 

Jinyoung walked through the hall which was decorated with chandeliers hung with precise distance from one another, ceramic checkered walls with side lamps that matched the branch-style chandeliers, here and there fresh roses placed in decorative stained glass thin-neck vases, and polished stone floor. When the customers passed by, he bowed respectfully at them together with his practiced smile and a ‘Good morning, sir.’

 

The Front Desk and Housekeeping Managers passed by him and both bowed in respect to their superior in which Jinyoung nodded back at them both. The Hotelier was headed for the kitchen, in which inspection upon events held at the hotel was supposedly overseen by him. He tasted the main course, medium rare steak with its dipping sauce. The Head Chef stood tall – despite his inadequate height – beside the General Manager.

 

“Hmm, texture and flavor is both good, well done, Kyungsoo-ssi,” he praised the man beside him and the Head Chef thanked him.

 

“The ones on that side too, right?”

 

“Yes, General Manager Park.”

 

 

 

The Event Manager accompanied him while they stepped into the grandiose entrance of the new water park. Round tables covered by white cloths as the staff stretched the linens and placed flowers at the very middle in tall glasses. Jinyoung grabbed one of the flutes set on one of the halfway done decorated tables and took a closer look.

 

“Just be sure to get these cleaned once again, okay?” He informed to no one in particular, but the Event Manager took the hint.

 

“Yes, General Manager Park.”

 

 

 

Soon after, the arrival of a scoop of journalists were headed to the said water park for a tour by Jinyoung himself to introduce Haru’s new water park.

 

“As you can see, with the large overhead window installed and opened, this park could serve as both hot spring and an outdoor pool. We hope to be one of the very best hotels that could provide any commodities no matter what the season is. Aside from that, the opening will be held tonight with performances from uprising young idols, namely YG Entertainment’s iKon and SM Entertainment’s Red Velvet.”

 

“Encik Park, satu soalan. Khabar angin mengatakan encik menerima tawaran dari De Sers Paris, hotel 5 bintang yang diimpikan oleh pekerja seluruh pelosok dunia. Tapi, mengapa encik menolaknya?” Mr. Park, one question. It was said that you received an offer from De Sers Paris, a 5 star dreamt by employees worldwide. Why did you refuse it?

 

“Tiada apa-apa bermakna sebanyak jika ia sudah pada kapasiti maksimum. Saya ingin menumpukan sebahagian besar usaha di mana saya sekarang. Dan ini adalah daripada datuk, bapa dan semoga saya juga akan membawa Haru ke arah kejayaan.” Nothing means as much if it’s already at its maximum capacity. I’d like to make the most of where I am now. And this was from Grandfather, Father and hopefully I too will bring Haru to success.

 

The journalists seemed satisfied, heads nodding from here and there as Jinyoung braced himself.

 

“Shall we continue on with the tour?”

 

 

 

“Well done for today, boss. I heard the journalists talking about you just now; although I only understood as far as their Korean, Mandarin and English.”

 

“That was tiring, honestly, but thanks,” Jinyoung replied Jimin’s appraisal.

 

“Oh, and one more thing, boss. Apparently, Mrs. Park is here, and I think she has a few more of that folder.”

 

“Again?” He sighed as he ran his hand through his hair.

 

“Yup, and she would want to see you after you’re done with the tour.”

 

 

 

“Juniooooooor baby ~” and Jiyoung knew that was his Mother from miles away.

 

And he was correct, as she sat among other customers at the hotel’s dining hall.

 

“Mother, to what do I owe the honour of your visit today?” 

 

“Junior baby, come and sit down. Come and have lunch with me, won’t you? Well, I’ve ordered anyway. Plus, I haven’t talked to my son for 3 days; you were so busy those past days.”

 

Jinyoung sat on the chair beside his Mother and smiled at her, indeed, he felt a little sorry for neglecting his Mother these few days.

 

“I still am, but I would always have time for my dear Mother. Father’s coming back soon, right? We should go and fetch him together.”

 

“Yeah, he is. Oh, and son, you know Suji’s getting married next week, right?”

 

Jinyoung perked up at the mention of his almost-fiancée.

 

“Yeah, I received the invitation. We’ll be going, aren’t we?”

 

“Of course, baby. But first, I need you to go through this, because I don’t want you to appear single during her wedding. That would be pathetic, since you children almost tied the knot,” his Mother stated with such distaste, she threw the dessert fork and handed Jinyoung a folder.

 

It was stacked with pictures and bios of the many other girls that his Mother would want him to blind date right away. Probably get engaged in a few hours and get married the week after. Holy Mother of kimchi.

 

“Almost, Mother, almost.  I don’t know, Mother. How is it relevant?”

 

“Logic is not an option. I couldn’t let Bae Pharmaceuticals look down on my son. Just choose, please.”

 

“Mother,” he sighed, “can we not repeat this cycle, please?”

 

“Why, son? Have you a new girlfriend without me knowing? Or maybe a new boyfriend?”

 

“Mo-M-Mother.” He spat the plain water, wetting the table cloth.

 

“What? I knew it from the moment you chose flower boy assistants instead of foxy, leopard-print clad girls. Son, this is not some previously on ‘Park Jinyoung’, okay. I’m a cool mother.”

 

“Mother, I,” he laughed, “seriously. Okay, okay, I actually do have a new boyfriend. I-I’m just w-waiting for Father to come home. You know, it’d be nicer for my boyfriend to meet the both of you at the same time, over dinner, I guess.”

 

“Aw, son, that’s so sweet of you. Okay, bring him over to the airport with you. We’ll get your Father and go for Suji’s wedding together.”

 

“Ah o-okay, Mother.”

 

Now, just got real.

 

 

 

It was impossible for him to get anyone from Incheon, Seoul or anywhere that has good reception because good phone reception mean good television reception. Jinyoung was travelling alone since Jimin had to stay over at the hotel to distract everyone from knowing that he was gone since the night before Suji's wedding. Currently, he was well away up north, driving towards Gangwon-do; probably the smallest populated province and closest as possible.

 

Talk about a seven hours drive. Closest as possible, he thought. And during those seven hours of continuos driving, Jinyoung did what he always does when he's alone, bored and Rubik's cube-less.

 

“So, Jinyoung, you're prepared for this, right?”

 

“Yes, General Manager, I know. But, are you sure you could still drive on an empty stomach?”

 

“No such nonsense,” cue the cute, cuddly (read: murder-able, shameful) sound of his grumbling stomach, “Jinyoung-ssi, why haven’t you eaten? It distracts my driving.”

 

Jinyoung chuckled in his roleplay, “yeah, General Manager, I’m sorry for forgetting my supper, Sir.”

 

“Oh, I see a diner up ahead. Let’s grab something to eat before I find a decent man around this area to bring over to see my parents.”

 

“Sure, General Manager.”

 

Jinyoung parked at the curb and got out of the car.

 

“Fancy seeing a diner in this God forsaken place, don’t you think so, Jinyoung-ssi?”

 

“Indeed, General Manager, indeed.”

 

If anyone was to overhear or witness this low point in his life, Hotel Devil might be a joke of the year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Their new customer stole Mark’s interest. How could this guy not? He's arriving at their almost punch out hour. And when was the last time anyone in this little district has ever seen a Lamborghini parked right outside one of their tiny shops? Even he can’t remember. Oh yes, like, never. It caught everyone’s attention in the little diner called ‘Hae’s Diner’. The owner, Donghae stepped out of his little office to take a peek, the usually quiet cashier Jongup left his wonderfully soft cushioned chair, the flirty cook Jongin joined in the fun and even Mark was huddled together with them at the diner’s main entrance. The man who was ambling his way towards the diner had this vibe around him that screamed I-am-a-douchebag-so-please-mess-with-me.

 

He was wearing smart casual, navy blue suit, like who the heck wears suit in this area other than stuck up business noobs? Indeed, waiter in-charge Mark Tuan will happily serve some stuck up customers. That was as far as what Mark could have noted since the guy was well coming towards their pitiful diner. As this new stranger approached the door, the four of them hurried away like little cockroaches; its antennae pulled off. The man entered the diner with a small tingling of the doorbell stuck on top of the aging door. Mark stepped forward to usher him to a nearby booth. Mark then left him with a menu slid onto the table. Not five minutes after, Mark heard it, the d-bag calling for him, with the most God forsaken annoying call anyone on this Earth could have possibly done to Mark.

 

“Hey, waiter. Hey, you, waiter, I’m ready to order!” the click-click-click-ing of a certain customer’s finger was audible from across the counter.

 

Proved his point, he is thee d-bag dude from the city, indeed.

 

“Dear customer,” the man with crimson red dyed, messy hair said aloud as he sauntered over to the middle section booth, “doesn’t mean you come in all dandy with your fancy clothes and your fancy car gives you the right to a pass.”

 

“–And this,” the waiter continued, fingers clicking once, “is probably,” click fingers twice, “the sound of,” click finger thrice, “your balls falling off.”

 

“S-Sorry, man.”

 

“Right, I’ll be back to take your order when you’re really ready.”

 

 

 

“Excuse me,” the same man called him again, looking sated with his finished greasy meal, “can I talk to you?”

 

“Yeah, well, I’m here, aren’t I? Speak up,” the waiter replied, chewing gum wildly dancing around in his mouth.

 

“Are you free tomorrow?”

 

“Are you asking me out?”

 

“I still haven’t got an answer.”

 

“I still haven’t got mine too.”

 

“What’s your name?”

 

“If it was me, I’d skip the and get right on the main scene. But you can call me Mark.”

 

“Okay, Mark-ssi. I’m Jinyoung and I’d like to buy your time for a day.”

 

“Well, Jinyoung-ssi, my time is priceless.”

 

Mark noticed how the man seemed to have not been affected by what he said.

 

“Name your price, and that’s what you’ll get.”

 

“I like this proposition, good business, but do you buy other men's time, too?”

 

“I don't think it matters. So, you free?”

 

“Hmm…” Mark wanted to appear as if he was hesitating, but the thought of gaining extra money, he turned to the other way, “yo, Jackson! You’ve got me covered?”  

 

His colleague popped his head from under the ordering slot, “just give me a sec, Youngji’s been whining a lot. The time of the month, you know.”

 

“Even if I do know, not saying I don’t, she’s your girl, not mine.”

 

“Chill, dude. Okay, I’m all set. You can go and play.”

 

“Great, see you around.”

 

"Hold on a sec, I need to see my boss. Just for the sake of telling him I'm off early, or he'll think I'm kidnapped."

 

Mark took off his apron, headed for Donghae's little office and knocked on the door.

 

"Come in," Donghae's soft voice said. 

 

"Hey, boss, there's this guy just offered me money. I might not come in tomorrow, but once I get paid, I'll split it with you. I'd say 6:4. Four's a good number, boss."

 

"Lambo guy hooked you up already? I'd say 5:5, Mark," his boss countered.

 

"You said I was supposed to be polite, but I guess he liked the rude me. Last offer 7:3, and it'll go down soon." 

 

"Damn, I hate it when you do that, Mark! Fine, now go." 

 

With cheerful skips, Mark got out of the cracked room to a sleepy Jinyoung.

 

Mark turned his attention to the waiting man.

 

“Okay, Jinyoung-ssi, when do we start?”

 

“Right away, if possible. Let’s go,” as he made his way to the cashier, Jinyoung paid for his meal and motioned for Mark to follow him out.

 

“Wait, you’re not in some human trafficking business, are you?” Mark asked, common courtesy.

 

“Who would have confessed to that?”

 

“You’re right; I probably wouldn’t.”

 

“Thought so.”

 

“Just so you know, holding hands is $400, kissing is $800. Oh, and package is $1,000.”

 

“Don’t worry, Mark, I’ll be sure to pay you handsomely, or maybe prettily, since you are kind of.”

 

“Eh,” a palm pressed to his chest, “I should be offended, but oh well, a compliment’s a compliment no matter how you put it.”

 

Jinyoung opened the passenger’s door for him, “if you would please,” and held out a hand out.

 

“My, my, well aren’t you a smooth one,” Mark commented, but still, he got in and the door was closed with a solid thud.

 

“Okay, so can someone tell me what is going on? Because I don’t think you're looking for a release.”

 

Jinyoung gave out a hearty laugh, “that’s the last thing on my mind, but thanks for the offer. Anyway, we're going over to Haru.”

 

“Wow! Haru? Now that is something. You're a customer? I heard the General Manager’s a pain in the ,” Mark stated.

 

“Yeah,” Jinyoung answered all too quickly, “something like that. It doesn't concern me. Maybe, someone should get him high.” 

 

“My, oh, my, Jinyoung, well aren’t you a bad boy?”

 

Jinyoung laughed.

 

Mark wanted to comment on that some more, but he felt the swerving of the car.

 

"Whoa, whoa, there, there, Jinyoung-ssi! Are you okay?"

 

"I'm-I'm fine. Sorry about that," Jinyoung rubbed his eyes, but Mark knew better.

 

"How many hours have you been awake and driving?!"

 

"Worked 8 to 6, then drove for 8 hours, you tell me. I've lost count."

 

"You need to get off the road and away from the driver's seat now, Jinyoung-ssi. There is no way we're driving all the way to Haru like this." 

 

"Are you suggesting a car–"

 

"No, I still have my morals and I don't want to die young. Now, stop at the road side and let me drive, Jinyoung-ssi."

 

"No, why would I let you drive Lammy?"

 

"Ridiculous name, applause to you. Now, give Lammy to me so we could both live."

 

Mark thought there was no one as stubborn as him, but this Jinyoung dude is worse. The guy finally pulled the signal and manoeuvered the car to the road side, pebbles groaning under the car tires' weight. They exchanged their seats and Mark was behind the wheels. It took him a few seconds to adjust to the car, but at least he knew where they were headed to and they would survive the night.

 

 

 

They've arrived at the bottom of his house's step, the car parked carefully, the engine cut off an hour ago and Jinyoung was snoring softly at the side. Mark took his time looking at this stranger he just met. If you'd dismiss his attitude, Jinyoung was quite a looker. What was he doing all the way in this district at this time of the night anyway? 

 

"Yo, get up. You're gonna get a stiff neck from sleeping like that," Mark spoke, a hand shaking Jinyoung's shoulder.

 

The city guy was awake with a few more shakes and he stretched himself. "Where are we?"

 

"My place. Nearest hotel is 30 minutes away and I don't think you'd appreciate coffee maker water taps. Wherever you're selling me to could wait till morning."

 

Jinyoung looked a little lost. He blinked a few times, lips protruding. 

 

"Do you have hot shower?"

 

Mark sighed, "yes, Princess, I could always boil some water for your Highness's sensitive skin." 

 

"Really?"

 

But in the end, Jinyoung didn't need any hot water that night and Mark shouldn't have taken strays to his home because said stray has dozed off to dreamland, drool pooling around a constant spot on his comforter. 

 

 

 

Mark was rudely awaken from his sleep by a groan. His eyes cracked open to see that it was still dark and the glow of 5AM from his cheap digital watch — gift from Youngji — proved it. The body beside his stretched like it did last night after a short nap. More groaning ensued.

 

"Go to sleep, Jinyoung-ssi. You could use the extra 10 minutes," he advised.

 

But Mark was even roughly awaken when in a few blinks, hands trapped his head, legs parting Mark's very own and Jinyoung was hovering above him, probably a few inches too close.

 

"Didn't know you were the morning kind of guy," Mark smirked at him.

 

He was met with an equal devilish smirk, “okay, enough chit chat. Let me make this clear for you, Mark," Jinyoung closed in lower, lips just a tongue away from Mark's, "I need your help to be my fake boyfriend.”

 

Mark Tuan was left flabbergasted and royally ed by d-bag dude from the city.

 

Did he just said that or did he just really said that?

 

Would he literally be taken at 5 in the morning?  

 


That's it. First chapter. No beta. I'm sorry you guys. Here's today's 3.1K word vomit