finale

good morning starshine (the earth says hello)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 


 

Yixing and Jongdae didn't actually plan on getting Sehun.



 

Well, they did, just not so soon.



 

Wait, let me explain. The two were about twenty-three when they met and immediately hit it off in their junior year of college where Yixing set his goal on being a Hybrid Pediatric doctor, and Jongdae, an aspiring businessman in the music industry. It had taken two seemingly long years for them to officially start dating and a few years after that, finally get married with the couple deeply in love.

 

Now in their late twenties and early thirties, married for about five or six-ish years, (neither of them kept count) they felt lonely. Well no, they felt the apartment was too quiet and dull (actually nothing could be quiet or dull with Jongdae around), and maybe a little too big and too organized (again, not hard to disrupt with Jongdae).

 

So of course they thought about getting a kitten or maybe a puppy. The actual animal.

 

They had thought about adopting a child, and were slowly saving up for that special day, but with work and finishing up school they found it hard to find time for even each other. They especially found it hard when one was studying for their PhD and the other constantly running around as the errand boy for the company he worked for.

 

Of course, when it looked like things were finally, finally going their way, fate seemed to have a very different mindset compared to the couple’s.


 

It was finally a warm and sunny day in April after the cold and  stormy season had taken a break, when they decided that, yes finally, they would go and see the adoption agency that they had been eyeing for an entire year.

 

The day started off a bit… crappier than expected. The animal shelter they had wanted to go visit had been closed due to an emergency of a sudden outbreak of parvo in a litter of puppies (poor puppies).

 

So that backfired, and would be added to the unknowingly, growing list of setbacks that would happen throughout the day.

 

They carried on anyways, and that's where things began spiraling out of their grasp. The other shelters they visited had either too many old animals or animals that just didn't fit them: these too old or too young.


 

And the adoption agency, the adoption agency, was pure agony to them. Especially when the shelters they visited didn't have what they had wanted, and now the quiet and kind looking orphanage with the perfect little boy, who was no more than four or five years old, and they had been eyeing for almost a year was now gone--snatched up before they could even say ‘hello’.

 

The two even visited a Hybrid orphanage slash shelter, and just like earlier, saw no one that fit them.

 

(But, they did happen to find a young and tiny little beagle puppy hybrid that would perfectly suit their good friend Chanyeol).


 

They both had been so disheartened and disappointed, but it especially hit Jongdae hard. He had been the one looking forward to that day the most.

 

Fate was obviously telling them that today was not for them.

 

And just to test their luck and patience, Mother Nature decided that day would be a great day to ‘surprise! Here, take this very disorienting, loud, and scary thunderstorm!’. So with that, Jongdae had begun to cry on the sidewalk outside of their, at the time, apartment. Yixing was close to doing the same, but instead he embraced his tearful partner and murmured sweetened words of encouragement despite his own heart breaking with his beloved as he ushered them into their home for a restless night.


 

Days and weeks dragged by, with no change in the weather or the couple’s mood, their somber feeling had definitely been taking a toll on them, so they decided why not take a little break, just the two of them, and go see a movie.

 

And so they did.

 

On their way home, it began pouring cats and dogs (no pun intended), and finally in a while they had a great time--delicious dinner and a wonderful movie--it almost made running through the pouring rain, uplifting.


 

“Yixing no!” Jongdae laughed as he stepped into a puddle. “Now my socks and shoes are soaked,” he whined, pushing at said man’s chest.

 

They were already soaked head to toe anyways, he was just being cute.

 

Finally a day without the sadness of not fulfilling their desire for another small, living being in their home was forgotten.


 

“Oh come on Jongdae, let's hurry home or else we'll get sick,” Yixing laughed as he kicked water onto the smaller man, before running ahead.

 

“Hey!” he whined again, moving to catch up to the other, when he heard a noise, albeit very faint and very quiet.


 

“Huh? Is anyone there?” he called out into an alleyway looking for a sign that someone could be around. “Hello?” he echoed, searching for the noise with his eyes. He gasped when he found the source.


 

“Dae?” Yixing peeked into the mouth of the alleyway with confusion. “Are you alright?”

 

“Shh shh, there there little one…,” he watched his husband soothe a box. “Xing! Xing, come here,” he ushered enthusiastically.

 

“Jongdae? Why are you cooing at a box?” he asked confusedly, peering closer.

 

“Shh-- just look!” he whispered.

 

Yixing scooted closer to his partner in confusion, before taking a curious glimpse at something in the box. He too, then gasped.


 

“Oh. Oh my goodness Dae-- Jongdae. I-it's a little-- bab-- hybri--,” he stuttered over his words as his chest constricted, looking to the smaller male who pulled out a little baby hybrid swaddled in thick blankets.


 

Was this what they waited for?


 

“Come on Dae,” he lifted the male to his feet and wiped at his moist eyes,“Let's go home.”








 

“Mama!”


 

“Yes Sehun?” Yixing called back to the little voice.


 

Little pattering of footsteps came down the hall.


 

“No! Not you baba, mama!” Sehun came skidding to halt in front of Yixing. “I want mama!”

 

Yixing sighed and smiled at the (now) four year old, “Sorry bud, mama isn't home remember?” he picked the squirrelly wolf boy up (Jongdae hasn't been home for about three days actually).

 

“Why?”

 

Oh boy, here we go.

“Because, mama needs to work.”

 

“Why?”

 

“So mama can help people make music.”

 

“Why?”


 

Yixing sighed again in adoration, before changing the subject, “Do you want breakfast?” he hummed, running his fingers through bed-ruffled hair and rubbed at soft pointy ears.

 

“No! Want mama.”

 

Okay, wrong question.

 

“Well baba made pancakes, do you want that?”


 

The sleepy boy went quiet. “Is there whipped cream and syrup?”

 

His baba laughed with an ‘of course’, as he set the puppy boy in his chair and placed a small stack of warm sticky pancakes in front of him.

 

Yixing sipped on his steaming coffee, and smiled as he watched his son. Mornings were no fun without Jongdae, usually he'd drink tea in the mornings, but it just wasn't as enjoyable.


 

“Can we go see Baekhyunnie hyung today?” Sehun mumbled through a mouthful of his breakfast.

 

“Hmm? Today?” Yixing looked absentmindedly through the window of their apartment, watching snow fall on the December morning. “Sure, only if you clean up your toys and coloring utensils.” he chided, poking the boy’s nose playfully, “Then we'll see, wolfie.”

 

“Okay!” the little scurried off to do the chores, his tail wagging lazily as he had seemingly already forgotten his mother.

 

“Done!” he hurried back and wrapped his short arms around Yixing’s legs.


 

“Done?” the usually spacey man asked in confusion. “That was fast.”

 

“Hmm,” the boy hummed quietly besides him, nuzzling into his leg. “Did it last night…”


 

Yixing bent down to pick the little wolf up, “Did you now?” he brushed his dark hair away from his eyes-- looks like someone needs a haircut. “Good job sport, wanna sit with baba for a little bit? Then we can go see Baekhyun hyung, and maybe Jongin too.” he suggested, seeing the little thing rub his eyes tiredly, he probably woke up early today.


 

Letting Sehun rest against his chest as he took a little nap, Yixing took the time to quietly think and go over the few years with what was a little bundle of joy, and now a small and bumbling curious tot.


 

Four years ago they had found him in a nasty alleyway inside a soggy box, on a stormy day in April. Yixing and Jongdae remembered that even then he was so beautiful--thick black hair and matching additional animal parts tipped in white.

 

After that, they had immediately brought him to a special Hybrid clinic before they actually came home with him and ever since then they have never thought about the child they originally thought of adopting, as this child took ahold of them and their hearts in such a short amount of time.

 

As he grew up, he was a quiet baby: he never cried unless necessary and even now, he never really talked around others unless he wanted to. Of course he would babble to his parents, but even then it wasn't long enough to hold a proper conversation. Initially it had worried Yixing, but Jongdae insisted he was just growing and that was his personality.

 

Living in a big studio apartment wasn't the ideal familiar place to raise a young hybrid boy. They always had to be quieter than a normal household so they wouldn't disrupt the neighbors -- which was fairly easy for all of them, being naturally quiet besides Jongdae’s singing that happened more often than not.

 

And it was never a bad thing in the first place.

 

Sehun had lived fairly secluded, which they always felt guilty about. They have taken him out on walks in the park during the spring and summer, but they were always afraid to bring him out on colder days in the autumn or winter, since he seemed to always fall sick during those times.

 

But Sehun never showed any particular interest in the weather or snow for that matter, but instead he gazed curiously at the snowflakes that would collect on the windows as he did every winter, and this winter was no different.


 

Yixing smiled at the memories he held onto dearly, before dozing off with his son.





 

“Baba?”

 

“Yes Sehun?” Yixing answered as he slipped a warm sweater over the little boy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter