Final

Someone

It was Friday and Kyungsoo was tired after the long day, or the long week, it felt like he was going to fall asleep any second. He checked the time. He had one lesson left. Chanyeol kept rambling about some party or whatever next to him and it was probably Chanyeol’s voice that kept him from falling asleep.

 

His last class was with his homeroom teacher, he really liked this teacher. She was relaxed and made sure everyone was comfortable in school. Psychology was also one of his favourite subjects.

 

Kyungsoo sat down at his usual spot, next to the window. He felt the most comfortable being able to look out and admiring nature. Kyungsoo was one of the more quiet kids, while Chanyeol was one of the “cool kids,” he had a lot of friends. Kyungsoo had known him since forever, and being a bit more on the less talkative side he was stuck with being by Chanyeol’s side. He didn’t mind, Chanyeol spent a lot of time with Kyungsoo and one friend was enough for him.

 

    “Okay listen up! We are doing something a bit different today,” the teacher announced and Kyungsoo threw away the thoughts from his head so he could concentrate. Chanyeol started whispering something to Kyungsoo. Chanyeol was never listening during lessons, or that’s what it felt like. Kyungsoo just nodded his head and pretended to listen.

 

The teacher explained about a “self-esteem boost” thing they were going to do today. Kyungsoo became curious and lightly hit Chanyeol to make him shut up.

    “You take a piece of paper and write your name on it, then we’ll pass everyone’s papers around and your write something nice about the person whose name is on the paper,” the teacher explained, “and write something good, nothing boring ok?”

 

Kyungsoo wrote his name in the middle of the upper side of the paper. The first paper he got, was Chanyeol’s.

 

Thank you for being my friend, idiot.’

 

It sounded good so he passed it further and waited for the next paper.

 

He only recognized about half of the names on the papers that were passed to him, so he ended up writing mostly ‘you are very nice’ or ‘we don’t talk much, but you seem cool.’ Kyungsoo felt very awkward about this. Chanyeol seemed to write longer sentences for everyone.

 

Kyungsoo was surprised when he got his paper back. He had been scared it would be filled with ‘ok’s and ‘cool’s. Instead, there were a bunch of cute messages, all different. Kyungsoo felt his lips curve into a smile.

 

You have a very pretty smile,’ ‘I like your hairstyle’ and ‘You are super smart!

 

Kyungsoo really felt better, this was a self-esteem boost indeed. Chanyeol’s message made him smile the most.

 

I don’t think I can’t get rid of you, but I don’t mind having you in my life so please be my soulmate, I’m only kidding, but thank you for listening to my nagging.’

 

His eyes wandered over the about 20 different messages on the paper. Suddenly, one message caught his eye.

 

I like you, so please text me,’ below the message there was a phone number written.

 

Kyungsoo felt his muscles tense up. Was someone joking with him or was this for real?

 

    “Hey what did you get on yours, let me see,” Chanyeol tried to peek on Kyungsoo’s paper but he quickly folded it and put it in his bag. Chanyeol’s paper was filled with random messages and Chanyeol really seemed proud of them.

    “I know what you wrote for me,” Chanyeol pretended to be really proud as he pointed at the message Kyungsoo had written.

    “It wasn’t that hard to guess, idiot,” Kyungsoo smiled at his idiotic friend.

 

Class went by quickly and Kyungsoo was relieved to sit on the bus home finally. Chanyeol has talking to some guy, who sat behind them, Kyungsoo was pretty sure his name was Baekhyun. Kyungsoo decided to take his phone out so he could listen to some music. While searching for his phone he saw the note from class, and remembered that one message.

 

‘I like you, so please text me.’

 

Kyungsoo almost groaned out loud. He hated this, what if it was a prank? He didn’t want to be a fool, but at the same time he felt like he was going to burst out of curiosity.  

 

After a silent debate in his head with himself, he came to the conclusion that he would send a few messages to check it. He opened the paper and quickly typed in the number and saved it as “someone.” His thoughts wandered back to class, he tried to remember the faces of the boys in the class, but he only knew Chanyeol, and Baekhyun, who was talking about his paper with Chanyeol.

 

Kyungsoo opened a new message and his fingers did a small dance in the air above the letters of the keyboard. What was he going to write?

 

How do I know this is real?

 

He wasn’t proud with what he ended up with. It sounded good enough so he pressed send. He tried to listen if anyone's phone on the bus beeped, but all he heard was the chatter of his classmates.

 

It took less than a minute to get an answer, Kyungsoo was scared to look at the message.

 

How do I know you are real?’

 

Kyungsoo sighed. So this person liked jokes.

 

‘Well I guess if I wasn’t real you wouldn’t have written your phone number on my paper in class today.’

 

Kyungsoo leaned back in his seat and made sure Chanyeol wasn’t peeking over his shoulder. Chanyeol would for months if he found out. When Kyungsoo stepped out of the buss and started walking towards his house his phone beeped again. He slided his finger over the screen and read the new message.

 

Ah, you are right, but you still won’t know if I am real’

 

Kyungsoo felt frustrated. He really wanted to know who this person was.

 

That’s why I don’t trust you, who are you?’

 

Kyungsoo threw his bag on the floor as soon as he entered his room and threw himself on his bed as a new message popped up.

 

Ah but telling who I am wouldn’t be any fun, hehehe, you will have to find out yourself.’

 

Kyungsoo almost threw his phone at the wall. He grabbed his bag from the floor and checked his schedule, not Psychology until next Tuesday. Kyungsoo cursed to himself and started typing a new message.

 

Are you kidding me, we have class together next Tuesday, that’s in four days...’

 

Kyungsoo washed away all the thoughts of the messages with a cold shower and decided to play video games before heading to bed. Before falling asleep that night, he remembered “someone” but didn’t care, he just fell asleep immediately.

 

When Monday came Kyungsoo had already forgotten about the messages with “someone.” As he entered the school building with Chanyeol his phone beeped and he picked it out from his pocket to turn it on silent. On the screen read ‘New message from Someone.’ Kyungsoo almost choked, how could he forget? He opened the message and felt his cheeks heat up.

 

Your hairstyle today is even better than it was on Friday.’

 

Kyungsoo turned his head around to see if “someone” could be there. Nothing.

 

Ignoring the message he walked up to his locker and opened it. He then froze completely, he just stared into the darkness of the metal box and thought. He reminded himself once again that it all could be a joke. Kyungsoo needed to tell someone about this, and someone was always Chanyeol.

 

Locker 281, that’s cool, expect notes in it.’

 

Kyungsoo almost ran to Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol actually listened to Kyungsoo, for once. He nodded along and didn’t interrupt, he knew when he had to be serious.

    “I actually think it’s cute, someone having a crush on you,” Chanyeol said when Kyungsoo ened his story.

    “No it’s not, it’s really creepy, that’s all it is,” Kyungsoo hit Chanyeol on the back of his head, his friend did not understand him at all.

    “I think the person has a crush on you, and besides no one would dare to mess with you, and what if he’s really hot,” Chanyeol playfully winked at Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo knew Chanyeol had a point but didn’t bother to answer so he just walked to his next class.

 

As expected, he got a note in his locker.

 

I wish you smiled more, your smile is really stunning.’

 

Kyungsoo wanted to pull his hair out, who was the person who left messages for him? It was so frustrating. He wanted to have Psychology already, then he might have a chance to know who it could be.

 

The next day came way too slow. Luckily, Psychology was his first lesson. Most of the students stood outside the class waiting for the teacher when Kyungsoo’s phone vibrated. As he predicted, it was a message from “someone.”

 

Showtime! Have fun guessing who I am!’

 

Kyungsoo lifted his face from the screen to see if anyone was looking suspicious, but unfortunately most of the students had their eyes on their phones so he had no luck.

 

    “Did you get a message?” Chanyeol whispered to Kyungsoo as they entered the class and sat down at the usual spot next to the window. Kyungsoo nodded and handed his phone over to his friend. When he got it back he saw Chanyeol scanning their classmates with his eyes.

    “This is harder than I thought,” he said when he returned his gaze to Kyungsoo. The phone vibrated again and both boys pressed their heads together to read the message.

 

‘Ah, I see you told Chanyeol about me, good luck!’

 

Kyungsoo was peeking at his classmates the whole class, to find someone that looked even a bit suspicious. The person knew Chanyeol’s name, but then again, everyone knew Chanyeol’s name. Kyungsoo was glad his, sometimes, overly social friend knew most of the people, he could be very helpful in the future. Kyungsoo tried to take one last look at everyone before class ended but absolutely no one looked suspicious.

 

    “I think it’s a prank, there’s no way this could be real,” Kyungsoo sighed to Chanyeol at lunch. Chanyeol didn’t seem to listen and just ate his food eagerly. Kyungsoo decided to give up on talking to his friend and picked up a text book from his bag. He saw a colourful note paper in his bag and didn’t remember it being there before.

 

Keep your eyes open, it was way too easy to get this in your bag! See you tomorrow again’

 

Kyungsoo sighed for what felt the millionth time. He had missed “someone.” Kyungsoo pulled his phone out and began typing.

 

‘Can I at least get to know something about you? This is so frustrating.’

 

‘I can see it on your face, ah well I’ll tell you something, hmmmm, I like reading, and I’m quite often in the school library.’

 

Kyungsoo lifted his head quickly again to see if anyone had been staring at him, but once again, he saw no one. He shoved his phone in Chanyeol’s face and started packing his things, he was going to find out who someone was.

 

The school library was quiet and only a few people were there with their thoughts inside different books’ worlds. The old lady at the desk who took care of the library looked a bit surprised when Kyungsoo walked up to her.

    “Hi I was just wondering if there is someone who comes here quite often to read?” Kyungsoo really hoped she would have a good answer for him. She lifted her gaze and her eyes met his and Kyungsoo felt himself get more nervous. This wasn’t the best plan, but he had to start somewhere.

    “There is one boy, a really handsome one, he hasn’t been here this week, but he usually sits over there,” the lady pointed at an empty chair next to a window. Kyungsoo nodded and thanked her, he wondered why “someone” had chosen this seat. He took a picture of it and sat down.

 

‘So this is where you sit, it’s quite comfortable’

 

Kyungsoo was honest, the chair was perfectly placed next to the window across from another chair and it felt like he could sit there for days. It didn’t take long to get a response.

 

‘Ah, you are quite clever! Isn’t it lovely, I wish you would come with me there sometime. I left something in your locker by the way.’

 

Kyungsoo decided to not answer the message. Instead he tried to picture himself with someone here, it was a pleasant idea and he started to really hope this wasn’t a prank.

 

Indeed, he found another note in his locker, he was really surprised when he saw it. It was only a picture of a pair of shoes. The shoes didn’t look worn and were fairly clean. A hint. On the backside of the picture the name of a novel was written. With simple letters it said ‘Stories We Could Tell by Tony Parsons.’

 

Kyungsoo found himself looking at people’s shoes the next day. He came to school way too early, but he had to go the library before class started. The old lady at desk pointed out a shelf with books when he asked her where he could find the book “someone” had mentioned.

 

The book dusty and the pages were yellow. It wasn’t torn and Kyungsoo guessed it had only been read a few times. He opened the book and a note fell out. The note looked out of place among the old pages. Kyungsoo picked it up and recognized “someone’s” handwriting.

 

‘I’ll give you more hints, my family name is Kim, and I also recently talked to your friend just before writing this, I hope he can help you.’

 

Kyungsoo felt weird, “someone” had talked to Chanyeol. The only problem was, Chanyeol was the worst with names, and there were about a million Kims in their school. Or that’s what it felt like.

 

As Kyungsoo had guessed, Chanyeol had no memory of talking to anyone named Kim.

    “I talk to like 50 people in an hour, how can I possibly remember if I talked to him!” Chanyeol felt weird. Kyungsoo’s “stalker” had talked to him. He didn’t remember talking to anyone weird so he had a feeling the one who sent messages to Kyungsoo was a good guy after all.

 

The rest of the week continued in the same way, useless hints were given everyday. Psychology class was disturbing since Kyungsoo knew “someone” was in the same room as him. Last lesson on Friday, Kyungsoo felt like giving up. Psychology class felt stupid and he didn’t even want to enter the classroom. Chanyeol dragged him inside and pushed him down on his usual chair. Class felt like it lasted forever and when the bell rang Kyungsoo picked up his phone to check his messages. One new message.

 

‘I guess I’ve had my fun, you know where to find me, I’ve seen you sit there a few times, it really is a comfortable place, right?’

 

Kyungsoo’s heart started beating faster, he knew immediately what place “someone” was talking about. The chairs in the library. Kyungsoo had sat down in the library a few times during the week, just to get the feel of something “someone” used to do. Kyungsoo didn’t realise he had walked to the library until he pushed the door open. No one was at the chairs and Kyungsoo sat down. He opened his phone to ask “someone” where he was.

 

    “You saved my name as “someone,” how original,” he heard someone laugh behind him. Kyungsoo shot up and turned around. He had almost screamed from his mini heart attack but the sounds were trapped in his throat. The first thing he noticed was the shoes from the picture, it was really “someone.” He lifted his eyes and in front of him stood the most beautiful boy he had ever seen. His hair was brown and parted on the side. His lips were beautiful and the smile on his face was breathtaking.

 

“My name is Kim Jongin, I think you deserve to know that by now,” the boy, or Jongin, laughed softly and stretched his hand out. Kyungsoo opened his mouth but didn’t get any clever words out.

“I’m Kyungsoo,” he finally managed to get out as he grabbed Jongins hand and shook it. Jongin laughed but didn’t let go of his hand. Instead Jongin turned around and pulled Kyungsoo with him.

“Let’s go drink bubble tea, I’ll pay,” Jongin explained when he saw Kyungsoo’s confused face.

 

Bubble tea with Jongin was everything Kyungsoo had expected it would not be. He had thought it would be awkward and embarrassing. Jongin made Kyungsoo laugh several times, and Kyungsoo really felt good. Jongin was real, it hadn’t been a prank. Time flew by and before Kyungsoo knew it, he was sitting alone on the buss. He still could feel his face forming a smile and he laughed silently at himself. His phone beeped.

 

‘Did you change my name, I don’t want to be just “someone” I want to be the real Kim Jongin!’

 

‘There’s a fake Kim Jongin too???’

 

‘Ah, yes, he is nothing like me, I am the real one!’

 

Kyungsoo changed “someone” to “Jongin” and even added a emoticon after it. He kept texting Jongin the whole way home and he almost missed his stop for looking at his phone too much.

 

Monday came fast, but slow if you ask Kyungsoo, he wanted to meet Jongin again. He had almost been late from  his first class and wasn’t able to meet Jongin before it. As Kyungsoo opened his locker during his free period, much to his surprise, there was a not inside.

 

‘I missed you, you know where I am.’

 

The library. It was right, Jongin was there as Kyungsoo stepped inside. Jongin was sat at one of the chairs next to the window. Kyungsoo sat down across from him and smiled at him, and Jongin returned the smile. This was a lot like what he had imagined the first time he sat here. They talked about everything, and both boys lost track of time.

 

Kyungsoo remembered how had thought about spending time here with someone. Jongin was now that someone. Kyungsoo also knew Jongin was the right someone.

 

-----------

 

A/N: this isn’t as much fluff as I wanted it to be, I apologize very much, but I tried OTL. In time I will get better at this, or I hope so! Feel free to leave ideas for pairings and scenarios as I have no ideas on what to write next!


The book Stories We Could Tell is a really good book. Also do other countries also have Psychology as a subject or is that a Finnish thing?