Stay With Me

Stay With Me

PG-13 for references to child abuse, plus some swearing. Otherwise, enjoy the short, random drabble. (Read foreword for more details.)

Kyungsoo had grown accustomed to his neighbours. Well, the best one could grow accustomed to a family who seemed to make it a competition on who could be loudest. He was used to the girls with their screaming, bickering and loud music, the mom and her yelling at everyone, and the father’s late night drunken additions to the mess. No, he still couldn’t fall asleep through it all, but he at least could drown them out in most circumstances.

Things had gotten a lot better since Kyungsoo met Jongin, the youngest of the loud family next door, and one of the quietest people Kyungsoo had ever known. (He still had no idea how Jongin was related to the angry herd of elephants in the apartment beside his, but then neither could Jongin. Regardless, he was a very quiet person.) And then Kyungsoo had gone and fallen in love with Jongin, because Jongin was amazing and wonderful and sweet and beautiful and perfect, and a month and a half ago Jongin had confessed his feelings for Kyungsoo, and they had since been a couple. And Kyungsoo was very happy.

He was always happy when Jongin came over, too, but at the same time he always felt bothered that Jongin had to come over, because he wanted to escape his awful family. Not that Kyungsoo felt used by Jongin – that wasn’t the case at all; he just wished his boyfriend didn’t have to live in such a terrible situation all the time. He wanted Jongin to be happy, without having a miserable home life.

Regardless, Jongin was always welcome over when his family got to be too much for him – even if there was only a wall between them and he could still hear his family. And Jongin came over often now, especially since they had started dating. Kyungsoo thought there was only a handful of days that Jongin hadn’t slept over since they had gotten together (and he didn’t mind at all).

It was a Thursday night, going on eleven o’clock, and Kyungsoo was lying on his back on his bed, staring up at the ceiling and pressing his palm against the wall. (Recently, Jongin had come to the realization that one corner of his room lined up with the corner of Kyungsoo’s, so about two feet into each room was the overlap of the other’s room. Kyungsoo had rearranged his furniture so his bed was now in that corner, and at night he would press his hand to the wall, knowing Jongin was just a few inches away even when he didn’t sleep over.) In the apartment beside, one of the girls was screaming at the other to turn down her crappy music, to absolutely no avail. The music would stop only to be started right back up again, while the shouting never ceased. After a while the mother joined the screeching, telling the girls to shut up and get a pair of headphones. At this point, one of the daughters pulled out the usual You don’t understand me argument, and then they were all hollering at one another for different reasons and it just turned into a blur of high pitched white noise to Kyungsoo.

He wished Jongin would come over. Even though Jongin slept on the floor – because Jongin insisted it was okay there, and also because if they were caught in bed together Kyungsoo’s mom might grow suspicious; he sort of hadn’t told his parents about him and the boy next door yet – they would hold hands and talk quietly to one another until the noise died down and they could fall asleep. But Jongin usually didn’t come over unless he had to (although this had stopped being true since they got together), and Kyungsoo supposed maybe Jongin wanted some space for once. That was understandable, he guessed. He wouldn’t want Jongin to get tired of him too fast, so the odd day apart couldn’t hurt. That didn’t make Kyungsoo want him any less, though.

Not long after the three women began their fighting, Kyungsoo heard Jongin’s dad come in. Judging from the hour, he had been drinking, which wasn’t a very common occurrence on weekdays, but it happened often enough not to surprise Kyungsoo. His hopes were raised on Jongin coming over after all, then; Jongin’s dad surely wouldn’t be impressed to have come home to fighting, and would likely join in. And then maybe Jongin would sneak out and come over, to safety and to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo wanted him there for both those reasons.

He ended up being right about Jongin’s dad; within a moment of their front door slamming, he began roaring at the women and storming through the house. Kyungsoo was surprised when he started yelling for Jongin, though – it wasn’t often that Jongin was brought into fights, but when it did happen, it never ended well. Kyungsoo sat up, straining to hear over the still-arguing girls. On the other side of the wall, a door opened, and Kyungsoo bit his lip hard enough to pierce the skin, knowing that Jongin was bound to get yelled at or worse.

“Oh, you’re actually here,” Kyungsoo heard the man snap. “You’re always running away lately, you little brat.” I wonder why he runs away, Kyungsoo thought towards the man angrily. “Where the do you go? There’s no one who’d be stupid enough to be friends with you.”

“Don’t touch me!”

Heart stuttering, Kyungsoo smiled a tiny bit at the sound of Jongin’s voice. He had never heard Jongin stand up for himself before, and he felt incredibly proud. A second later, though, he heard a sharp slap, and cringed as the man screamed at him for talking back and not answering his question. Jongin fell silent, but this only seemed to anger his father more.

“What, you’re too scared to talk now?” he sneered, and Kyungsoo wanted to punch the wall. “I wanted to have a son to make up for your sisters, and instead I got you. And what a pathetic disappointment you are.” At that, Kyungsoo did punch the wall, and then held his hand as his knuckles throbbed painfully. “Shut up!” the father thundered, and he banged on the wall twice as loud. “What the hell are you smiling about, you idiotic child?”

Unless the man had x-ray vision, Kyungsoo assumed he had returned to talking to his son, and it pleased him to think that Jongin was smiling. Even if his hand was slightly in agony now, it was worth it to have reassured Jongin that he was still there. The moment was stolen again by the sound of another hit, followed shortly by a thump against the wall, and Kyungsoo stood up, ready to run over there and take Jongin away (maybe throwing a few swings at his father himself before they went).

But he was stopped, because he heard Jongin say, in a pained but firm voice, “He loves me!” And his father shouted that no one loved him, but Jongin just repeated, “He loves me. He does!”

“Who the hell are you talking about?” his father bellowed when Jongin said it again. “Your imaginary ing friend?”

“My boyfriend,” Jongin returned, and Kyungsoo could hear the tremor in his voice when he said the word, though there was still pride there, and it made Kyungsoo smile again. “Kyungsoo; the boy who lives next do-”

“Your what?!

It was at that moment that Kyungsoo realized Jongin hadn’t told his family about them either, for the same reason Kyungsoo had kept the news from his own parents. But if he thought that his parents were going to take it bad – and he wasn’t sure, but he thought they might not take it very well per se – then he knew that Jongin was definitely going to suffer for it. It was this terrifying thought that propelled Kyungsoo into action, hurrying out of his room and towards the door. He just made it into the hall in time to see Jongin being bodily hauled and thrown out of his own door, his father screaming after him, “Don’t come back, you disgusting child!” and then slamming the door. After a second, there was a click, and Kyungsoo knew they were alone.

Jongin was huddled on the floor in his old pajamas and tank top, clearly doing his best not to collapse and break down completely, so Kyungsoo hurried over to him, kneeling down beside him. Jongin jumped when he noticed Kyungsoo, and then he sat up slowly, wiping at his eyes. There were already bruises forming, and Kyungsoo was quick to wrap his arms around the younger and pull him into a tight hug. They sat there for a long moment, Jongin trying to control his breath to stop it from catching, Kyungsoo rubbing slow circles on his back.

Finally, Kyungsoo murmured, “Let’s go to bed, okay?” And Jongin just nodded and wordlessly allowed himself to be led into Kyungsoo’s apartment. They went to his room, and Kyungsoo couldn’t even be bothered to make Jongin a bed on the floor, pulling the boy into the blankets of his own small bed with him instead. Rather than objecting, Jongin just hid his face in his hands, trembling and letting out soft sobbing sounds. The arguing next door had ceased, but Kyungsoo could hear angry voices discussing something – their gay child and brother, undoubtedly. He focused his attention on his boyfriend instead, and Jongin’s hair gently while the other cried himself out.

“I’m sorry,” Kyungsoo told him softly after he’d grown quiet. “It’s going to be alright, I promise.” Without moving his hands, Kyungsoo saw Jongin shaking his head, and took hold of the other’s wrists carefully, not applying any pressure. But after a moment, Jongin pulled his hands away from his face, giving Kyungsoo a teary-eyed look of doubt. “I promise you, Jongin. I’m going to make everything alright.”

“How?” Jongin croaked weakly, glancing over Kyungsoo’s head at the wall. “They won’t let me back…”

Kyungsoo shuffled closer to him, wrapping an arm around his waist and using his free hand to hold Jongin’s. “I don’t know about that,” he breathed. “But I will make sure you’re okay either way. Do you trust me?” A tiny nod. “Alright. We can skip school tomorrow to sort this all out, okay? So for now, let’s just sleep.”

Jongin nodded once more, and Kyungsoo pulled him close, closing his eyes to try to sleep. A moment later, however, he opened his eyes and found Jongin’s still staring, filled with doubt (and threatening tears).

“What’s wrong?” he asked quietly, reaching up to the younger’s cheek with his thumb and brushing away old tears.

“Is… do I – am I a bother to you?” Jongin’s words stumbled out fragilely, like tipped-over glass ornaments. Kyungsoo stared speechlessly. “My life is a mess, I know that. And I bring that to you every time I come over here…” He trailed off, looking down at the tiny space of bed between them and clenching his jaw, blinking rapidly.

It made Kyungsoo’s insides churn nauseatingly. Not only was Jongin suggesting he was a problem for Kyungsoo, but… it half sounded like he wanted to leave. Maybe he didn’t want to leave Kyungsoo because of anything between them, but it was regardless a sickening idea.

“Kim Jongin,” Kyungsoo began, and he found a lump in his throat that choked off the rest of his words, abruptly overwhelmed with thoughts of Jongin disappearing and not coming back. It was horrible to even consider, and he wanted to tell Jongin as much but he had temporarily lost the ability to speak at all.

“I’m sorry,” Jongin mumbled, and his lip wobbled once before he bit down on it. “I’ve upset you.”

“It’s not that,” Kyungsoo replied, shaking his head and trying to compose himself so he could explain. He took a deep breath, and went on, “The thought of you ever leaving is upsetting me. I can handle anything in your life – whatever you have, or want, or do. Just not you leaving me. Don’t you ever leave me.” It was Jongin’s turn to fall silent now, and his tears had betrayed him and slipped out, but Kyungsoo chased them away with his thumb, going on. “Believe me, nothing about your life is damaging our relationship, Jongin. Nothing makes me feel less towards you, or makes me want something, or someone, different. If anything, the way things are makes us stronger. Because I hate seeing you hurt, and I always want to make things better for you.

“So don’t you think you’re a burden on me, okay? Because you aren’t. I knew what I was getting into when I walked through that door, and chose to be with you. If I’m being honest,” he added. “Part of me knew when I let you in that first night. I had already figured out what your family was like then; I knew about your baggage before I even knew you. And it might be tough, but I’ve always been willing to get through it. Because I want you in my life, and I want to be in your life, and I want us to be together because I think we can be happy together. Is that okay?”

And Jongin was crying a lot by now (but so was Kyungsoo), but he whispered, “Yes.” And that was all Kyungsoo needed to hear. He leaned in and kissed Jongin softly, and then Jongin snuggled into him, promising quietly that he wouldn’t leave. Then he gave Kyungsoo one of his tiny kisses – which were rare because Jongin was shy and usually let Kyungsoo kiss him. It was quick, just a soft and subtle press of his lips to Kyungsoo’s, but it made Kyungsoo melt a little bit, as it always managed to, so he knew they were alright. They would be alright.

With things finally seeming to be resolved, they just held onto each other, ready to sleep at last. They weren’t so lucky yet, however, because at that moment Kyungsoo’s mom came into his room, having woken up to go to the bathroom and heard them. Without turning the light on, she asked what he was doing, and he explained quickly that he was just talking to Jongin, and asked her not to bother them. Being the mother that she was, this immediately made her alert and insistent on being nosey, which resulted in her switching on the light and finding them cuddled close together (to Kyungsoo’s great embarrassment).

“What happened to sleeping on the floor?” she asked, and Kyungsoo could hear the suspicion in her tone, even if it wasn’t necessarily suspicion about the two dating. She was a mother, after all; she knew when things were being hidden from her.

“Nothing,” Kyungsoo replied hastily. “Jongin is having family problems.” This was a regular thing that his parents were all too aware of, and he knew she understood, but she still had a questioning look on her face. “Please just save it ‘til the morning,” he half-begged her.

And with that, she caved, likely too tired to care in the present. She turned the light back off and wished them goodnight, and ten minutes later they had fallen asleep.

In the morning, Jongin was the first to wake up, but he let Kyungsoo sleep on because it was still rather early and because Kyungsoo was very cute while he slept. (He was always cute, but that wasn’t the point.) After a while lying there and admiring his slumbering boyfriend, he heard the squeaks of the floor in Kyungsoo’s apartment, and the quiet sounds of cupboards being opened and closed, and a kettle being boiled. He wasn’t sure which one of Kyungsoo’s parents it was, but he hoped they wouldn’t come in and bother them just yet.

As a quiet person, Jongin listened very well. He liked things to be quiet, which meant he was better at detecting things which disrupted the silence than others. Thus, he heard when someone was walking in his own apartment, and when said person left the apartment, and when their footsteps drew nearer and when they knocked on Kyungsoo’s door. Knowing his family as well as he did, Jongin knew that person was his dad. The heavy footsteps, slurred as though he were still drunk, informed Jongin that the man was now in a state of hangover, which meant he was less but still dangerous, and not to be crossed. But it wasn’t in his father’s habit to wake up this early, and it was certainly not in his habit to come over to Kyungsoo’s place – he never had before; not once.

Jongin was so tempted to wake Kyungsoo up, because his heart was starting to pound, and he wasn’t sure what his father planned on doing to him in front of the other family, but he might force him back to their place and then hurt him there. Instead, Jongin pretended to sleep, too paralyzed to do much of anything else, and he listened.

“Can I help you?” Kyungsoo’s mother answered the door. He had a feeling she had never seen his father before.

“I live next door.” The man almost sounded nice. “Is my son here?”

Jongin couldn’t know her reaction, but he pretended that it was one of horror and repulse anyway. “Yes, he is, and he’s asleep right now.” Her tone sounded just the way Kyungsoo’s did whenever he was protecting Jongin from potential danger (usually, defending him coming over from Kyungsoo’s mom).

“Do you have a son?”

“He’s a friend of your son’s, yes.”

“Well, ma’am, I’m sorry to tell you, but my son is having a terrible influence on yours.” A pause. Jongin imagined a glare from Kyungsoo’s mother. “Jongin has coerced your boy into a ual relationship with him.”

“Excuse me?”

Jongin bit his lip. Oh no. His father had no grounds to make that claim – it wasn’t even true – but he was surely trying to traumatize the woman as much as he could so she wouldn’t allow Jongin under her roof. Having seen the two in bed together last night, it wouldn’t be hard for her to believe it either. And Kyungsoo’s parents slept through anything; if he and Kyungsoo were in a ual relationship, they probably wouldn’t even notice.

“I won’t have it in my house, unfortunately.” Unfortunately. He’d probably been waiting for this day to come since Jongin was born. Finally was more like it; at last an excuse to get rid of the waste-of-space child. “But I thought you ought to know it, in case they hadn’t told you too.”

“Well, thank you for letting me know. I’ll talk to my son about it. If that’s all…” And a minute later the door closed. Jongin couldn’t wait any longer, and quickly shook Kyungsoo’s shoulder, dragging the boy out of sleep. He was still disoriented when his mother came into the room; Jongin hid his face in shame, knowing he may have ruined Kyungsoo’s family, too.

 

“Do Kyungsoo.”

Uh oh. Kyungsoo was half-asleep, Jongin having for some unknown reason (unknown until five seconds ago) stirred him awake. Now he knew he was in trouble, and he wasn’t even aware of his own surroundings yet.

“You get out of bed right now, young man,” his mother told him, and he squinted through his sleep-filled eyes to see the woman standing in the doorway. Her arms weren’t crossed, which meant it could be worse, and that was the only tiny comfort he had as he literally rolled over Jongin and tumbled to his feet. “We need to have a discussion. Alone.” And then he was heading out into the kitchen, his mother following after and closing his bedroom door, leaving Jongin alone inside.

He sat at the table, rubbing his eyes. “What did I do?”

“You tell me, Kyungsoo,” she frowned as she sat across from him. “What did you do?”

“I don’t know,” he mumbled, because it was true and his mind wasn’t caught up to him yet. “Can I get a hint?”

“Let’s start with Jongin.” His stomach twisted. Oh boy. He might know what he’d done now. She seemed to notice whatever reaction he gave, and raised an eyebrow in return. “Care to tell me what’s going on between you two?”

No. But he guessed this was what happened when he put things off. “We’ve been dating for a month and a half,” he said, eyes on the table, feeling a blush. Then he raised them to meet hers and added, “But I swear last night is the first night he’s ever slept in my bed, and I only let him because his father kicked him out and he was really upset and I didn’t want him to have to be alone.”

“Are you lying to me?” He shook his head firmly. “Then is there any reason his father would tell me you two were in a ual relationship?”

Kyungsoo felt his face burning. “We aren’t. We haven’t done anything more than kiss, I promise. His dad probably just wanted you to be mad, but I really mean it. Jongin’s never even been in my bed with me.”

She stared at him for a long time, and then, detecting no suspicious behaviour in him, gave a nod. But he knew better than to know it was over. There was still doubt in her eyes, and regardless, he was going to be punished – for lying at least, and possibly for having a boyfriend.

So, before she could even continue, he pleaded, “Don’t kick us out, mom. Please, please don’t. I was planning on telling you guys, but then I kept putting it off or forgetting and… I was going to tell you when school ended. And I know you may not like it, and I understand that, but I really, really like him and I don’t want to have to lose him or you, so please. If not for me, then for him; his life has been so awful and I just want to give him one good thing without messing it up, so please don’t kick us out…”

As he spoke, his eyes filled with tears imagining Jongin being forced onto the streets, being alone and cold and sad and… It devastated Kyungsoo, even more than the idea of himself being thrown out did. His mother’s face was entirely impassive, and he hated when she was like that, because she wasn’t a predictable person; at all. Not even to Kyungsoo or his father. Which meant what she was thinking was just a complete mystery, and whether she was planning on throwing him out of doors or letting him stay was entirely unknowable.

She stayed this way for a long time, and then she ordered, “Come here,” pointing at the floor beside her chair. He honestly anticipated being slapped as he went and stood in front of her, but when she raised her hand, it was to pull him into a hug. While he stood there, stunned, she told him, “I don’t know what you mean about being kicked out. I’m not impressed with you not telling me about having a boyfriend, and going ahead and having him over anyway, but I’m not going to make you leave your own home for that.”

Kyungsoo hugged her back then, feeling so relieved that he had such a wonderful family. “I’m not sure,” she continued. “But I don’t think Jongin is welcome back at his home anymore now.” Kyungsoo shook his head, knowing it was true and not wanting him to have to go back either way. “We’ll have to have a family meeting with your dad and Jongin, and try to come up with a plan for him. It might be hard, but I think we would be able to take care of him if we needed to.”

That was all Kyungsoo could ask for; he didn’t care if he had to start working once he got to university to help support them, if it meant Jongin could stay with them. He was dismissed soon after, and went back to his room, where Jongin was waiting. The younger hadn’t moved, and suddenly Kyungsoo was worried that, maybe what he wanted wasn’t the same as what Jongin wanted.

He climbed back over Jongin and crawled under the blanket with him, staring at him quietly for a moment to see if he would say something first. After it was clear that he wasn’t talking, Kyungsoo whispered, “How would you feel about living with me?”

And if he was expecting something different, he wasn’t disappointed when Jongin whispered back, “I would like that a lot.” And he offered a hopeful smile, and Kyungsoo beamed back at him, and he knew they would be okay.

We will, he promised himself, and he pulled Jongin in to kiss him, hoping he conveyed the message to him as well. Jongin’s smile only grew more hopeful, and Kyungsoo could tell Jongin believed him, too.

“So, I hear Baekhyun and Chanyeol have rubbed off on you.”

“Yes sir…”

Kyungsoo was out in the hallway with his father, the pair of them carrying boxes back to the apartment. It turned out that that morning, Jongin’s family had thrown all his belongings into boxes and tossed them into the hall, likely to ensure that they really wouldn’t have to have contact again with him for any reason. There were only half a dozen boxes, and Kyungsoo had been worried that they hadn’t given him all his stuff, but Jongin told him he’d never had much anyway.

“Well, I’ve always thought Jongin was a nice kid,” his dad went on as he pushed the door open with his foot. “But I didn’t know you thought of him that way.”

“I didn’t realize it for a while either,” Kyungsoo admitted as he slipped in after him. “And then when I did, I didn’t know he felt that way too for a long time.”

“When?” When did he find out; when did they get together? Kyungsoo went quiet for a moment as Jongin passed, going back to grab the last remaining box while Kyungsoo and his father took their two to Kyungsoo’s bedroom.

“Valentine’s Day,” he replied when Jongin was out of earshot.

His father put down his box and raised an eyebrow at him. “I thought you hated Valentine’s Day.”

Kyungsoo laughed. “I do. But that’s when Jongin told me, and that’s when…” When I found out it wasn’t just a dream. When I kissed him for the first time. When I knew he liked me back. “Yeah.”

There were a couple of seconds of silence and then, “Well.” Kyungsoo blushed, but it went unacknowledged. “You take care of that kid. He’s got too much to handle alone. And take care of yourself too,” his dad added. “If you’re going to have a serious relationship with him.”

“Dad!”

Even his dad was a little pink, but he continued in his stern father voice, “I mean that, Kyungsoo. If you two decide – if you haven’t already-”

Oh my gosh, someone save me. “Dad, please,” he almost begged. “This is embarrassing. We haven’t, and I don’t want to be talking to you about that stuff ever.” Ever, ever ever ever. Talking about with his dad was one thing, but talking about his life – his gay life (which, by the way, did not yet exist) – with his actual boyfriend was just… no, no thank you.

He was sure his dad was thinking about the same things, but his father had always managed to handle uncomfortable things very well. (Kyungsoo had not been so fortunate, not inheriting that trait from his dad.) “It’s my job as your dad to embarrass you,” he joked. In the distance they both heard the front door open again. Kyungsoo’s dad lowered his voice. “But we won’t worry about that for now. Let’s just figure out what to do about taking care of Jongin.”

Kyungsoo nodded. That much he could do.

“Ugh. How many more are there?!” Kyungsoo groaned.

“I dunno, son. Maybe twenty?”

“Ugh,” he repeated.

“This would go by a lot faster if you took more than one at a time.”

“You only give me one!”

Kyungsoo wasn’t really upset. He was just tired, and hot. Kyungsoo’s father was inside the moving van, passing the boxes out to them, not having the sun beating down on him or having to carry said boxes up the elevator and down a long hallway. So mostly, Kyungsoo was just grumpy and looking forward to sitting down. Another twenty boxes to go, though, before he would be so lucky.

It was only the first week of the summer break, but the family had decided that the sooner the better it would be to move out. Kyungsoo couldn’t stand living next to their noisy neighbours a day longer, and he was glad that they were finally getting away, for good.

He was handed a rather heavy box – his; full of books – and waddled with it inside and over to the elevator that was specially for them on their moving-in day. Up five floors, to the second-last apartment. His new home – quiet new home. The layout was almost the same as their old place, with the kitchen on the left when you came in, and his parents’ room on the opposite side of the apartment of his room.

As he was coming in, he saw Jongin going out of the room. Their room. Kyungsoo grinned at the younger, and Jongin returned it, taking the over-packed box off of Kyungsoo’s hands with far more ease, and dropping it off on the floor beside their bed.

“Thank you,” Kyungsoo said. “Even though I was managing.”

“Sure you were,” Jongin teased, and Kyungsoo smacked his shoulder playfully. Jongin grabbed him and before Kyungsoo knew it, he was falling on top of his boyfriend on the bed, and Jongin was kissing him deeply.

It was still so much to take in. They had moved; they were actually in this new apartment, actually leaving Jongin’s family behind forever. He and Jongin were going to share this room (which his mom wasn’t very pleased about), this bunk bed (which was why she was allowing it), the whole apartment, their whole lives. Well, not their whole lives. Kyungsoo had just finished high school, and after the summer ended he would be heading off to university without Jongin. But that was okay. Because tonight – and every night from now on – he would be sleeping on this very bed, and Jongin would be in the bunk above him, and this was all so much more than he could have ever dreamed of.

Honestly, at best he’d expected his parents to let Jongin live with them. But his parents had done so much more. They had said they would take Jongin away from his awful home, and now they were in a new building, even a different neighbourhood. And they were doing their best, just like Kyungsoo, to make sure Jongin was happy. They had even bought him new clothes and everything. (And Jongin got the top bunk of the bed, because he had told Kyungsoo he had always wanted to sleep on the top when he was a kid, but he’d never had a bunk bed because his sisters had shared one, not him. So Kyungsoo let him have the top. He planned on having Jongin sleep down there with him sometimes anyway.)

“It kinda squeaks,” Jongin murmured when Kyungsoo pulled away to catch his breath. He’d been taken off guard by the intensity of the kiss – this was rare, even more than Jongin’s usual rare kisses, and it never didn’t surprise Kyungsoo when it happened (although he enjoyed it very much).

“Is that gonna bug you too much?” Kyungsoo worried. He didn’t want Jongin to be kept up by the bed (although it was far better than his family was; any little thing that bothered Jongin had to go).

“No,” Jongin assured him, twisting his fingers into Kyungsoo’s hair playfully. (Kyungsoo was relieved when Jongin didn’t comment on how sweaty Kyungsoo was right now. But Jongin was too; maybe he was too hot to notice anyway. Or, as usual, he was too nice to say anything.)  “I just mean, it’s good your parents are still on the other side of the place.”

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow, taken aback and not bothering to hide it. “Where’s this Jongin coming from?”

“I don’t know,” Jongin smiled, kissing his cheek. “I’m just happy,” he breathed, and Kyungsoo leaned down to touch their lips together.

“Good,” he said honestly. “That’s good. I’m happy, too.” And he was. He was so happy, because they were together, and things were going to be different now, but it felt like a good different. And he couldn’t know for sure, but he thought that things were going to be okay. And so he was just. So. Happy.

And Jongin was on the same wavelength, apparently, because he was dragging Kyungsoo back down to kiss him slowly, and he couldn’t stop smiling even as he did so. That is, until they were interrupted.

Boys.”

Kyungsoo pushed himself away from Jongin so fast he hit his head off the bunk above him. Climbing out of the bed and holding his head, he gave his glaring mother an innocent look, as if she hadn’t caught them doing what she’d just caught them doing.

“There’s more boxes downstairs, Do Kyungsoo,” she told him, and he got the message. But when she was gone, Kyungsoo turned back to Jongin – who was sitting up, completely embarrassed and very red-faced – and leaned in to kiss his cheek riskily. Jongin blushed further and muttered something about not wanting to get in trouble, which made Kyungsoo take him by the hand and drag him out to continue their moving, twining their fingers together and earning an unimpressed look – which was hiding the most subtle of smiles – from his mom.

And no, they didn’t know what was going to happen – if something changed everything tomorrow, or in a week or a year – but it didn’t matter. They would be just fine.

 

 

A/n: No one make any comments about Jongin being top bunk >.> He still bottoms hardcore. Always. 

This was random and cheesy and pointless and I hope you liked it. I also hope I haven't spoiled any headcanons you had, my dear wife, or that you didn't want me to write this for some reason D: I wuv you~

A/n: Feel free to check out my other ficsMiscalculation (+Spinoffs+Rewrite from Jongin's POV), Category 9 (Kaisoo sequel to be) - dystopian!au, Meretrix de Menses XI - ion!au, and various others (including a cooking!auparenting!au, Hannah Montana!auasylum!au, and a few other fluffy fics) HERE. Or join the RP I run and message me daily to update faster! c: