epilogue: happiness and contentment

Just Be Friends
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

epilogue: happiness and contentment

"I gave the little girl a sandwich yesterday..." my little Jiyeon mumbled as my fingers gently laced her dark hair into a braid. Time passed without stopping, never did it pause to wait for you to be ready to face what's next. It went on like nothing happened and before I knew it I have given birth to God and Jiyong's wonderful gifts - my little Jiyeon and Jinhyun.  "Yeah and she ended up not eating anything for lunch." Jihyun mumbled against the apple stuffed inside his mouth. Upon hearing the words of his brother, Jiyeon frowned while I continued braiding her hair. 

"Why did you do that, baby?" I asked gently as the little girl began fumbling with her fingers. She does that everytime she was nervous, just like her father. "Well, I heard her stomach growled. She needs it more than I need it." Her voice was low, almost inaudible yet I can hear the sincerity screaming loud. Moments like this make me think that maybe I am doing a good job in raising my kids. It had been five years and I can't even get over the fact that they're no longer babies who won't let me sleep at night. Where did the time go? Why does it feel like it's moving too fast.

Five years ago, I left for Greece, bought a house here and started a new life. After a month, Donghae followed after announcing his retirement from the industry and refusing to sign another contract under SM Entertainment. The moment he arrived, I nearly smack his face, I was angry at his decision but more than that I was angry at myself for bringing him to this situation knowing that no matter what I won't be able to return all his effort and love that he has been giving generously, without restrains. And even though, he repeatedly—countless times—told me that I don't need to return whatever he was doing for me and for my kids, it still felt wrong. 

A month after we decided to venture on different businesses, we became partners and built our first cafe where he met Haejin, a beautiful girl who applied to be one of our barrista and they had been in love since. Well, thinking of how everything turns out, I guess, Donghae coming to Greece wasn't really a bad idea after all. I have never seen him that happy until him and Haejin started dating. 

I secured the end of Jiyeon's braids with a cute flower ponytail before gently making her look at me. "Baby, next time, you can tell mommy about it so that mommy can pack an extra lunch for you okay?" Jiyeon's face lit up with a big smile, similar to her father. As they grow older, their similarities with Jiyong were more prominent. "Thank you, mommy." She hugged me tightly and it still warmth my heart. Having them with me was indeed a miracle and the best thing that had ever happen to me. "So you're not mad?" She looked up to me and I shook my head in answer. 

"Why would I? I am proud of you, Jiyeon." I smiled making her hug me more. Simple things like this were the most rewarding of all. 

"It's okay, mommy." Jihyun said standing up to get himself a glass of milk. "I gave Jiyeon half of my lunch anyway. I can't let her starve." He added before downing the glass of milk he got himself. Jiyeon has a heart for everyone which makes me happy. She's more than willing to help people in need. Jihyun on the other hand is a protective brother and son, he will never let anything happen to his sister nor to me. My kids were growing up so wonderfully and I am more than grateful for it. 

I ruffled his hair, "Very good, Jihyun. Thank you so much for taking care of your sister." The little boy blushed at my words before he looked up to me with a smile. "Of course, I promised you that I will take care of her." Ah, why do they remind me of Jiyong so much, after all these years. 

"Thank you, Jihyun." I then proceed and grabbing the plates and placing them on the counter before getting my pursue and coat. "So, today is the start of your school vacation. Are you sure you both want to help on the cafe?" 

I saw the two of them nod. These kids, their friends were just staying home and resting, relaxing but the two of them rather be with me on the cafe and help. "Okay," I smiled. 

"Besides we haven't seen Uncle Donghae in a while." Jihyun said making Jiyeon agree. "I will remind him that it's our birthday next week." I gently placed a beanie on Jihyun and on Jiyeon. 

"I don't think your Uncle Donghae will forget that." I chuckled. "Speaking of, what do you want for your birthday?" Ah, they're really growing fast, they're turning five next week. Jiyeon just looked at Jihyun who met her gaze. Jiyeon does this whenever she was too shy to say something to me and she was silently asking for help from her brother. 

"Well..." Jihyun started as we walked our way to the door. He waited for me to lock it before he continued, "Jiyeon said, she wanted to meet Dad." I stopped on my track and looked at them. I never lied to them about their father. They knew Jiyong through photographs and videos, I always update them with the songs, music videos and projects that Jiyong or Bigbang does yet I have also explained to them the situation of how him and I were no longer in a relationship and not in contact for many years. I apologized for it and asked for them to wait until they grow old enough for me to explain things. But I made sure that they knew that Jiyong didn't abandon them and it was my choice to cut a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter