The house

Platonic

2014

Shooting of Season Two started a couple of hours ago, but he only just arrived at the spacious house after a long, tiring day of dragged-out scenes and drama re-writes. Thankfully, it is comfortably quiet when he steps foot in the living room so he smiles, thinking that perhaps he can enjoy a little bit of down-time before the rest of the roommates -- new and old alike -- come back, which means that the house becomes a bustling haven of noise and personality.

Feet slide across the newly-shined floorboards, innately familiar with the layout of the house, as he makes his way to the kitchen; eyes scanning the cupboard for his personalised mug. 

Kang Joon reaches for his blue mug, name printed in large font, when he notices newer mugs of different designs placed neatly on the adjacent shelf. 

Joon

Guk Ju

Ryohei

Sunny

Jackson

Youngji

He had briefly read through script for the new season's shooting, but unfortunately was too busy to really have time and learn about the new cast members.

Ah. The newest member of KARA. Isn't she quite young? She must be around Ga Yeon's age...

His lips curled into a small smile at the thought of the amazing girl he befriended as a result of shooting the show. The admiration and affection he felt for Ga Yeon had no bounds: she really was someone who he wanted only the best for, and thus would forever be supportive of her dreams to conquer the MMA world. But it doesn't mean he doesn't miss her. Because frankly speaking, he did. A lot.

It would be different with these new roommates. He wondered just how well he would get along with them.

...

"I'm the newest member of KARA, Heo Youngji. It's a pleasure to meet you and please take care of me!"

Her words were uttered brightly, politely, and her auburn hair grazed the floorboards as she offerd him a 90 degree bow. Kang Joon was a little flustered to say the least, but graciously accepted her manners. 

"Pleasure to meet you Youngji. Honestly just make yourself at home, and please get me if you need anything," he said warmly, all understanding eyes and smiles.

Their eyes lock and he can clearly see that she is all parts exhilarated at the thought of her very first long-term broadcast and coldly focussed at the same time. 

He sees it when she shamelessly pulls at the slimy octopus with Sunny's shrieking echoing throughout the kitchen, and in the way she laughs heartily at her seniors' jokes.

He likes her already.

...

2017

"Oppa."

His heart is breaking. He hates seeing her upset and his voice is shaky when he replies, "You can tell me anything, Youngji."

It's been years of friendship for the both of them. Kang Joon never imagined he'd become so close to Youngji but here they were. Sitting side-by-side on the couch in his refurbished apartment (no longer the hell hole that was his habitat during debut) and staring dumbly at his television set.

They don't make eye contact, because that just means tears. From either of them.

He had a feeling of what she was about to say. She's been off lately. Brash and then timid. Jumpy and aware of every movement. Her eyes are hazy and clouded. His heart is plummeting and he knows, he just knows and he can feel himself growing livid at the mere thought.

"You don't have to say anything, but you know I'm here for you. I'll listen."

Giving a small smile in response, she nods fervently as tears stream down her face.

"Okay. Okay. Thank you, oppa. I needed to hear that. But promise me... whatever I say, Jackson can never hear a word of this."