His Summer's Ghost

That Summer

Just a slice of watermelon or a glass of ice cold water will help him survive the scorching heat of the sun, Kyuhyun thought. If only these things will appear with just a snap of finger, for he is too lazy to get up from his messy bed and put down his PSP just to get what he needs downstairs, specifically in the kitchen. The words watermelon and ice cold water rung in his head like a mantra, in slow rhythms as if hypnotizing him, but laziness has the total control over his will. He stayed sprawled on his bed. He wished that he can conjure things from nothingness, but he can’t. It is impossible. He is not a supernatural being, he is just Kyuhyun… Kyuhyun is Kyuhyun.

He instinctively burrowed his face on his pillow as he heard faint footsteps approaching. He felt a weight sat on the edge of his bed. He didn’t move. He didn’t acknowledge the new presence that was in his room.

“Kyuhyun-ah~”

He released the breath that he unconsciously held. But still his face is buried on his pillow.

“Kyuhyun-ah~ it has been a week since we came back here. Why don’t you get outside and have fun. It’s summer anyways. Your old friends would want to see you, I am sure of that.”

His mother’s voice sounded genuinely reassuring. But some part of him won’t trust his mother’s words.

“They barely remember be eomma. Why do we have to go back in this small town anyway?”

“It’s your father’s decision. He worked day and night like a mad man and he deserves retirement Kyu. He wanted things that way they used to, us, living here. Your noona got accepted on that job interview way back in London by the way. You can continue your senior year here baby.”

Kyuhyun wanted to revolt as the word “baby” escaped his mother’s lips but he ended up bolting into sitting position, tossing the pillow onto the floor and gave his mother a horrified look.

His mother laughed and pinching her son’s nose affectionately. “You’re still my baby Cho Kyuhyun. You always need gentle nudging, tons of coaxing and a lot of tender loving care.”

He knew his mother is right. He’s still a baby at heart. He wanted to protest but he concluded that enjoying this won’t hurt. He was pulled out of his reveries when he felt that familiar hand on top of his hand. He looked up and locked gazes with his mother.

“You really need to go out Kyu. Nothing should keep you locked in. You’ve done nothing wrong. I am sure that would be the same thing he would tell you.” She stood up and left the room.

And he wished his mother didn’t have to trigger more memories of that person. It really haunts him. He doesn’t want to think of that person. Ten years passed already, he wanted to be free from everything that is related to that person. But coming back in this small town tells him a clear message. There is no escape. No running away this time Cho Kyuhyun.

-xx-

“That person is back, he’s still there. Standing in full view even though you are wide awake. He’s even following you. Look, Cho Kyuhyun, you are dead meat.” His subconscious told him.

“Yeah that is helpful. Damn it.” Kyuhyun muttered, his teeth gritted furiously as he made his way downstairs.

“Kyu~! Wait! Wait a second! Eomma says let’s be careful when we are on the stairs!”

“Ignore him. Ignore him. Ignore him.” Kyuhyun whispered as he made a sharp turn to his left and banged his hands on the kitchen table.

“Cho Kyuhyun that’s rude!”

“He’s here. You can’t deny it Cho Kyuhyun. He won’t let you have peace. See, he even told you that you are being rude.”

“Shut up! I am just lacking sleep! He’s not real!” His grip tightened at the edge of the table, knuckles white. Colors are draining away from his face. He closed his eyes and tried to calm himself.

“Kyuhyun-ah?”

“I can’t sleep eomma…”

Lights flickered open, making the kitchen bright. “Do you want warm milk Kyu?” His mother offered.

He shook his head. As he opened his eyes, shock was evidently written on his face.

“See? He’s even looking at you straight in the eye. It doesn’t bother you? He’s really back. He came for you. He won’t let you alone. You killed him Cho Kyuhyun. You are a young, ruthless murderer.”

A pair of almond-shape eyes was looking at him directly. “You can’t sleep? Why? You are having nightmares Kyu? Or you are still scared of the monster in the closet?”

His mouth hung open. Words came out like gasping for air.

“Kyu? Are you okay?” His mother cupped his face. “Is my baby sick? Oh my goodness… You’re chalk-white.”

“Oh please.. As if his complexion wasn’t like that ever since he was born.” A part of him snarled.

He loosened his grip on the table and shut his eyes closed again. Beads of cold sweat started to form on his forehead. “I am having sleeping troubles here. It’s been years since… you know eomma… I am not still used to the place…”

“You looked like you’ve seen a ghost. You really need something to calm you down.”

“Yeah right. Bingo! Hit the jackpot! You got the point Mama Cho, he’s seeing a ghost at the moment. The ghost of the one he killed when he was a stupid eight-year old kid. The ghost of his best friend.”

-xx-