Chapter Uno

Between the Seams

Two questions that are often directed towards me are: Do you miss home? and Why Korea? To be honest, I did not know the answer to the second question. Of course I missed home. But it wasn’t like Australia was light years away. I usually replied by saying the sudden rise if the fashion industry in Korea sparked my interest. Why not Italy, Paris, New York or even Japan? My mother was Korean. In a way I thought coming to this country would bring me closer to her.

Unfortunately, I did not have enough connections to get a job at a high-end fashion company. I am an intern for Woollim Entertainment. Working, as a stylist assistant was the best I could do. Alas, I was building up my resume and portfolio.

“Vivian?”

“Mmm?”

Kim Minyoung. Head stylist. Eight years experience. Has been working for Woollim for 4 years now. She used to work with SM entertainment but transferred to a smaller company to be able to spend time with her kids.

“Did you do anything for Valentine’s Day?”

“I stayed home and watched a movie with my cat if that’s what you mean.” I reply. Truthfully, that’s every weekend when I’m not working for a shoot or whatever the company requires the stylists to be at. “How about you, Unnie? Did you do anything with your husband?”

“We had a romantic dinner at my favorite restaurant and then we attended a couples concert.” She giggles excitedly. I smile sincerely and wonder what it would be like to spend a holiday with someone you love. I’ve had boyfriends in Australia but nothing serious.

“You know, my husband has a couple of handsome, single Korean friends I can set you up with. Successful too.” She winks. I roll my eyes. This isn’t the first time Minyoung has offered to set me up with one of her husband’s friends.

“I’m just not ready to date yet, unnie. I want to settle down in Seoul first and make something of my self.” I have plans. Stylist assistant to a boy band is not one of them. All this is just temporary until I can get some to look at my designs and hire me to make clothes not dress up boys.

Don’t misunderstand I enjoy my job. Working with Infinite has been a fresh beginning as to moving to Seoul. I was really afraid of having to work with group of arrogant males that believe to be the best because they have a large group of teenage girls chasing them daily. Fangirls are no joke. I learned this on my first day on the job.

“Are you still thinking about what Sunggyu said to you?” Minyoung asks.

Kim Sunggyu. K-pop idol. Way too perceptive for a boy band leader. But perhaps his words were exactly what I needed to hear. I just preferred it didn’t come from him. “You two are still so awkward with one another. Don’t mind him, sweetie. Just remember, if you ever change your mind. Just give me a holler.” Minyoung winks.

“Is Noona trying to set you up on a date again?” Lee Howon walks into the dressing room assigned for Infinite H along with Dongwoo. We are at SBS Inkigayo for today’s schedule and a fan signing in Yongsan after.

“I don’t think unnie has enough work in Woollim to be interested in my love life.” I respond and point at the chair in front of me. Howon sits on the black leather salon chair and examines his reflection in the mirror before him.

“Maybe she has a point. Soon you will be to old to date.” He jokes.

“Hey, Lee Howon. Let’s not forget who is in charge of your image at the moment.” I warn him.

“It’s okay. I will look good no matter what you put on me.” He confidently states.

“Okay, lets see how you good with a unibrow.” I pull out a black marker and place it close to his face.

“I kid! I kid!” He shouts, leaning away from the permanent marker. I laugh and close the cap on the marker hiding it back in my pocket.

Frankly, I prefer to work with Howon rather than Dongwoo. You see, Dongwoo is the biggest sweetheart out there but he has the attention spam of a three-year old. He doesn’t know to stay still and I don’t the patient for that. Howon and I attempt to control our laughter every time Minyoung shouted at Dongwoo not to move. We quietly converse as I finish up his hair and make up.

“Why aren’t you conditioning your hair like I told you?” I lecture him.

“Perhaps, if you personally showed me how, I might learn.” He smirks.

“Ew, you sound like Woohyun.” I wrinkle my nose. Howon laughs loudly. We’re both the same age and not afraid to be honest with each other.

“I did, didn’t I? I was curious if those sorts of lines actually work. I guess just for Woohyun.” He shakes his head.

“Perhaps, on someone else. I’m immune to those types of insinuations.” I put product on Howon’s dark hair and style it normally. “If it makes you feel any better, Minyoung says sometimes she feels forced to laugh to Woohyun’s jokes even if they’re not funny.” Howon chuckles, saying he has done the same as well.

Minyoung and I rush the boys to change in to their stage clothes. Infinite’s subgroup, Infinite H is so much more fun to style because I get permission to dress the boys with some of my designs. Hip-hop style is a trend in Korea. Although, I would consider it more of a clash of pop-culture mixed with street fashion, in my book.

“Go get that fourth win!” I cheer the boys. Before they exit the room.

“You sure get along with that Hoya.” Minyoung teases.

“We’re just friends.” I shake my head and begin to clean up the scattered make up.

“My husband and I use to be just friends at first.”

“If I remember correctly. You told me that you planned out exactly how your husband would fall in love with you. Basically, you schemed the relationship, unnie.”

“Whatever.” Minyoung rolls her eyes and helps me clean up. I excuse my self to the rest room after a few minutes and wander down halls of the broadcasting station. This is my second time visiting this particular place. I bump into some familiar faces, none that I know personally just those that I recognize from magazines and TV.

I finally manage to find the ladies room, inside are two girls in matching crop tops and pleated skirts. I haven’t seen their faces before so I assume they must be rookies. They girls look at me and giggle to themselves.

“What kind of cheap concept is that?” One of them points to my clothes. I’m wearing a knitted cardigan over a plain white tee, blue jeans, and white sneakers, nothing over the ordinary.

“I’m not an idol if that’s what you mean.” I reply.

“Clearly.” The taller of the two snaps. “Unnie, you should really wear contacts.”

“I am wearing contacts!”

“I meant prescribed contacts.”

“Oh.”

“I just came here to pee.” I push pass the girls and go in to a stall. I truly hope those girls have actual talent in place of what they lack in brains and manners. If I had been some higher-level celebrity those two would be groveling at my feet. Connections and recognition is everything in this world. I am just a stylist but if they try to come into the Infinite H’s dressing room and try to trade signed albums with my boys I will personally toss their CDs into the trash.

The rude girls were gone when I exit the stall. Good riddance.

“Vi!” I am surprised exiting the restroom to run into Amber. Of course, it shouldn’t be too much of a shock because she is promoting as a solo artist. I just thought she would be hanging out with the other idols. The girl is a social butterfly.

“Amber!” I embrace the younger girl. We met during Infinite’s Destiny promotions. I guess you can say I’ve been working with Woollim for almost two years.

I chat and catch up on a few things. Amber is the most easygoing, kind-hearted person I’ve ever encountered. It is apparent to grasp why she is so well known and loved in the industry. Amber invites me to hang with her and friends over the Chinese New Year holiday. I excitedly agree. Movie nights, cuddling with my cat, are nice but socializing with others beside Woollim staff and the Infinite boys is nice too.

“Unnie, did you design Hoya and Dongwoo’s shirt and jacket?” I nod to confirm her question. Amber jumps enthusiastically and grabs my arm. “Will you design one for me too?”

“Sure. Anything for the llama girl.”

Amber’s manager pops out from the end of the corridor looking for his charge. We say our goodbyes and I head back to Minyoung. As I had predicted the rude girls made their appearance into the boy’s dressing room. Unfortunately, for them Dongwoo and Hoya had not yet returned to the room. Imagine their surprise when I took the album from their hands and told them I’d make sure it would go directly to the boys and not the trash.  

Dongwoo and Hoya return disappointed they didn’t make the final round but acknowledge how good Naul, Zion. T, and Yonghwa’s songs really are. Minyoung gives the boys encouraging words (she has her moments) and pumps them up for the fan meet.

“By the way, some girl group dropped off their album.” I point at the trash bin by the door.

“Why is it the trash?” Dongwoo walks over to the bin and peeps in.

“It slipped and fell in.” I answer.

“What did they do to you?” Howon sits on the couch’s arm in front of me.

“They made fun of my clothes.”

“Vi, if you wanted me to say you look nice, all you had to do is ask.” Howon tilts his head back smugly.

“Hoya, no.” I shake my head.

“Damn it. This is harder than I thought.” I chuckle at Howon’s failed flirting and walk over to nudge Dongwoo to leave the album alone. The boy’s manager Youngjun barges into the room to rush the boys out of the building. Usually, Minyoung and I take a separate car to a fan-signing venue but traveling with only two members we save more gas money riding in one car.

“Vi, what’s your ideal type?” Dongwoo asks out of random.

“Hmm… Someone who doesn’t hog all the French fries and cleans out my cat’s litter box.” The entire van laughs at my response. I’m not looking for Prince Charming or for someone to financially maintain me. I’m looking for a partner who will support me no matter what, someone who is honest and challenging. But first I need to move my dream forward. Something Sunggyu is right about is that I’ve gotten too comfortable in Woollim. I can’t stay here forever. As the staff, with the exception of the driver, and the boys rest, I think about new designs I’d like to make and ways to market my clothes.