In The Lion's Den

Anything it Takes

Chapter 8

Hyperventilating is a thing right?  I mean being alone in a strange place not knowing where you are is scary right?!  I can't handle this, I thought that I was having a wonderful day getting things together and now I am probably kidnapped by Suhyuk.  How does this make any sense?!  Maybe if I just pretend to faint I can hit him from behind...  It's weird though cause he doesn't look predatory... he looks kind of worried.  But why...?

 The awkwardness of the situation grew as the cowering boy hugged his clothes tighter to his chest. 

                Ninomiya was starting to feel more confused by the prospect of a man he’s been trying to avoid his last two weeks of working at KRTV.  He didn’t know what to make of it.  Why would a man that drugged you come back with a first aid kit to heal your wounds?  Things didn’t seem to be adding up.

                “C-can you tell me what happened?”  Ninomiya sputtered looking up at the man. 

Ninomiya hadn’t noticed how intimidating Suhyuk could be.  His face always seemed to have a quirk of intrigue while his eyes lay on the border of amused and judgmental.  The only thing that the assistant was sure about though was that Suhyuk had a few cards to play up his sleeve. 

Suhyuk’s quizzical look fell deeper than immediately left his face.  The emotion was unreadable as he lowered himself silently beside the other boy and opened up the kit.  Taking out a few alcohol swabs and bandages Suhyuk began to administer the amount of first aid he knew.

“I know it’s hard to believe since you work for Minho, but I didn’t do anything horrible to you.”  Suhyuk tried his best to ensure the other male skeptically watching his every move. 

Ninomiya cautiously eyed the other male as he felt the familiar sting of alcohol hit his bleeding wound.  The harsh reality of how fresh the wounds were came over Ninomiya as the sanitation of his injury was a bit more than he was ready to handle.

Gingerly, Suhyuk blew across the patch of hair hiding the cause of the assistant’s pain.  “I don’t know if you’d believe me if I told you that I saved you from a brute man trying to steal your belongings.  I was just driving by and thought that you were a familiar face.“ Suhyuk explained accepting the fact that his new found patient found it safer to plead the fifth, “I realized something wasn’t right when you were being pulled into an alley.  By the time I had parked my car and caught up to you guys he had swung you into the side of a building.”

Suhyuk seemed to do everything gingerly and elegantly.  It was strong, swift movements that bordered on enticing.  But Ninomiya wouldn’t let himself dwell on that.  It was something that shouldn’t have even crossed his mind.  But it was hard as bandages were swiftly cut through with a tear from the teeth. 

To take his mind off of confusing and disturbing thoughts, Ninomiya focused on how the other man could’ve been lying to him.

But as much doubt as Ninomiya had, he remembered bits and pieces of the story arc that was being explained to him.  Ninomiya didn’t really have much to say, it did make sense and it was oddly mesmerizing watching the other man try his best to help him.  But the more Ninomiya sat there the more questions brewed through his head.

“I-I guess I should thank you…”  Ninomiya gingerly stated not managing to bring himself to make eye contact with the other man.  “But before I do that there is one issue I think should be brought up…”

If one looked closely enough, they would see the small glimpse of a smile hit Suhyuk’s usually stoic face.  Giving a small cough covering up the unseen show of emotion, the regal man began to bandage off the wound.

“And what inquiries do you have?”  Suhyuk asked while he continued to wrap the bandages around the wound.

“Why… am I… in nothing but my underwear?” Ninomiya blushed as the questioned had escaped his mouth.  Trying his best not to move as the other man did his best to fix him up, Ninomiya’s arms instinctively went to hide himself into the robe a bit more.

A chuckle could be heard as a small pair of scissors made their way out of the kit.  Suhyuk gave a quick click of the tongue, as the small sounds of clipping could be heard cutting a few more bandages. 

Securing his handiwork with a safety pin, the creative head replied, “I guess it is quite disconcerting to wake up in a strange environment with nearly nothing on.  But I give my word that I did nothing that was less than honorable in that situation.  When I had arrived you were already passed out and I didn’t know if you had any other injuries.”

Still feeling overwhelmed knowing that the other man had undressed him, Ninomiya curled up and finally gained the courage to look up at the other man.  “W-well thanks for making sure I was okay.”

The smile that he wanted to glow off of his face disintegrated in an instant as the sharp eyes bore into Ninomiya’s vicinity.  Suhyuk’s face looked amused, but it was hard to tell with the natural air of smugness that surrounded him.  A small gulp could be heard throughout the empty room while the tingling anticipation covered Ninomiya.  The injured boy’s shoulders tensed as he felt a puff of air hit his neck and the bottom of his ear.

“Though I would be lying if I were to say that I wasn’t tempted to ensure more than your safety.”  Suhyuk whispered, a sly grin glued to his face as he watched the other boy clad in his bath robe scurry towards the chair.

Ninomiya took in a gasp of air as he felt his toe stub one of the chair legs.  Seething and breathing through his teeth, he forgot all about the embarrassing moment grabbing his foot beginning to rock back and forth.

Through the quiet air of discomfort came an odd sound.  Ninomiya dazedly sat through the spark of pain that slowly began to subside.  Coming back to the world that he wished he could pause just for a moment came the surreal sound.  It was light, airy, and happy.  The image was made more unbelievable once the boy was able to look up and see where it was coming from.

On the floor next to him was a Suyeok, emitting a strange noise.  His eyes were crinkling into pleasant half-moons while his teeth emanated a youthful glow.  It was strange seeing the man like this, Ninomiya had come to realize that the strange noise was laughter.  For some reason none of what had happened seemed to feel right. 

The next thing Ninomiya found he was laughing with the other man.  He didn’t really know why, but the situation was just magically amusing.  Seeing the other man open up in such a way seemed to let Ninomiya forget just for a moment who he was with.

Suhyuk gathered himself while he sat into an upright position.  Ninomiya still lay on the floor no longer afraid to look up at the other man, watching in curiosity as the pleasant half-moons made their way back into the stoic shield the other man usually kept.

“I am glad to see you’re okay.”  Suhyuk murmured.  As much as he was trying to hide it, Suhyuk could feel himself redden slightly as the boy slowly made his way to his knees tilting his head in awe.

“I am glad that you had enjoyment from my pain.”  Ninomiya replied frankly trying his best to hide his grin.  He ultimately failed as he cackled a little bit more watching as the other man in front of him turned an even deeper shade of red.

“You know…”  Ninomiya queried as he made himself more comfortable.  “… I would’ve never had guessed that I would be sitting here laughing with you.  It’s weird.”

Stiffening at the remark Suhyuk’s face turned cold.  Looking at the smiling boy, the harsh coldness returned to his voice.  “You never had reason to since you work for the other side.”

Ninomiya quirked his eyebrow not understanding what was happening.  So he replied the only way he knew how.

“That ‘I don’t need anyone’ thing you do is harder to take seriously now that I’ve seen you like smile.” 

Ninomiya amusedly got up and happily sat on the chair bringing his knees to his chest.  “I mean, it’s hard to see you as the bad guy after you take me in, fix my wounds, and happily laugh at my pain.  You’re a bit of a jerk for laughing at my stubbed toe, but to be honest it’s a little endearing.”  Lifting himself from his position he bounces his way back onto the bed with his set of clothes.

Feeling the eyes of the other man follow him with an intense glare, Ninomiya found that it wasn’t as creepy as before.  It felt like it was just how the other man was.  Trying to understand every piece of information in front of him to see if he can use it for later.  But it didn’t feel bad like he was hiding it away for horrible purposes like it had felt before.  It felt like if Suhyuk didn’t act this way he wouldn’t know what to do with himself.

Carefully unfolding his pants and patting his pockets to ensure the few pieces inside were still there; Ninomiya started to dress.  The few seconds of silence was broken with the sliding of fabric and a cough from the red leather chair.  Rolling his eyes at the supposedly charismatic head, Ninomiya gets up and jumps into his pants buttoning up looking straight into the other’s eye.   

“Tell me, why are there sides at KRTV?”  Ninomiya asked deciding to take the moment for what it was.  It was an opportunity to see what was happening in the building he had decided to go into.  It was also stupid to the brown haired boy to think that this conversation wouldn’t lead towards professional means so he decided to take the bull by the horns.

The analytical stare from Suhyuk brightened, no longer the carefree boy from before.  What spoke to Ninomiya was the man from the board room earlier today.  Unreadable, charismatic, and somewhat cocky.

Making his way over to the assistant, Suhyuk took a few steps meeting the other boys call.  Suhyuk didn’t know much about what to do with the other male.  It was safe to assume that he was going to be an important piece to the puzzle but he didn’t really quite know where he fit yet.  Just like Ninomiya he needed a few answers himself.

“Because Seunghyun has chosen it to be that way.”  Suhyuk carefully answers backing the boy back onto the bed.  “You also make it sound as if I have nobody.  I do have a few staff of my own.”

Ninomiya fumbles onto the mattress and blows his now dishevelled bangs away from his forehead. 

“That’s not exactly what I meant.  I think a better question would be why do you play along?”  Ninomiya further questions without losing any fervor in his voice.  “You do understand what that means right?  Not everyone at the company wins.  No stability in work, distrust of basically a whole department, what does it all lead to?  Why do you choose to be a part of something like this?”

Suhyuk was taken aback by the turn the conversation went.  But he knew the way he had to answer.  The thing the Visual head didn’t know if it was going to help him if he answered honestly.

“I choose to be a part of this because Seunghyun understands how this business works.  You might not know but before this Minho and I were at the top of our game within two different entertainment industries.  But that means nothing if we aren’t willing to stomp out the competition.”  Suhyuk explained his eyes looking straight at the other male.

Ninomiya stares at the other male keeping the intensity given to him.  With a small harrumph, Ninomiya takes off the robe and begins to put on his shirt.  “I believe that if your focus is to stomp other people out, than you aren’t really working.” 

                Surprised by how unabashed the other boy was with his body, Suhyuk’s eyes went directly to the ceiling.  Slightly amused, Ninomiya started to button up his shirt staring into the side of Suhyuk’s head.

                “Such a respectful person you are, looking away as I dress myself.  It’s not as if you were undressing me earlier to…”  Out of instinct Ninomiya took a step closer being met with a staggering Suhyuk.  “… Find wounds…”

Smoothing out his shirt, Ninomiya gives a small sigh as he stands up and wonders what fate had in store for him.  The questions he had been asking had been getting him nowhere, but one thing was certain.  Things were not going to change.  The only thing Ninomiya could be happy about though was that he didn’t have to be scared of the man in front of him any longer.

After ensuring that he was all dressed and everything was in its place, a dull silence latched onto the two men.  Suhyuk dejectedly took a step back as if he were burned.  The calculated look in his eye had returned but he was at a loss for words.

‘And we are back to awkward silence…’ Ninomiya thought to himself with a sigh as he stood up from the bed and made his way to grab his bag.  He realized that the other man was staring at the side of the bed where he previously sat.  The assistant had to be honest, it wasn’t normal for him to feel confident to do what he had done but it didn’t help when he didn’t get a reaction.

“Suhyuk-ah you are one weird man.  But I know there is a heart in there somewhere, call me maybe we can see if I can defrost it.” 

Ninomiya took a business card out of his bag and laid it on the side table and made his exit.

Suhyuk jetted across the room to sit on the red chair on the other side of the room.  He didn’t really understand what was happening to him, but he knew that he was more affected by the situation than he should be.  Questions rapidly crossed his mind as he grabbed the business card from the table and stared at the name written across it.

“Ninomiya…. Tazuki….” 

Quickly shaking his head, Suhyuk put the business card back on the table and tilted his head back.  He was tired and thinking about the logistics about what he just did. 

“Unimportant.  That’s what this is.”  Suhyuk muttered as he pushed himself out of the chair, massaging the kink in his neck. 

After giving a soft stretch and contemplating about taking a shower, something caught his eye.  Underneath the side table in his bedroom laid a piece of paper.  It didn’t look all too important, but one thing that Suhyuk knew was nothing ever appeared to have value. 

Taking a quick look through the page, the information seemed like he had assumed… unimportant.  But maybe he should look into it…

A knock at the bedroom door disturbed him from his thoughts.  Confusion set in Suhyuk as he rose to answer it.  The action probably wasn’t the smartest since no one else should’ve been in the apartment.  

He was surprised to see who was on the other side.

“Forget something?”  Suhyuk asked, quirking his eyebrow clearly amused to see a blushing Ninomiya head bowed down in front of him.

“Y-yeah…”  Ninomiya stuttered as he took a breath in and looked up.  “I know I did that dramatic exit and everything, but… can you tell me where my shoes are.  And I don’t even know where I am, my phones out of battery…”

Suhyuk let out another loud laugh as he guided the other male through his apartment.  Now wasn’t the time to think about what this boy had to offer him.  Suhyuk was grabbing too much amusement from just being in his presence.  Maybe he would take Ninomiya’s offer and ring him up in the future if he was going to see more of this.

 

                Minho sat at his desk staring at the city skyline.  It was late.  He wondered why he was still sitting here.  Looking down at the bright headshots filled with an array of expressions, matching them to dance videos on his computer.  It hurt his head.  Nothing seemed to matter as Minho shuffled through the papers and clicked pause to the video on the screen.  This was a whole new world to him.  He was used to auditioning actors knowing that they were temporary.  It was just another job that pushed their careers.  But this was finding someone and building a career.  Pushing someone to the extremes and seeing where they end up. 

                The only problem was, no one seemed to have that potential.  It didn’t seem to help that they didn’t know where to look.  They had gotten so desperate that they pushed the audition to the public schools that didn’t have any performance art backgrounds.  What ended up happening was people not taking the audition seriously.  So many people sending in fake audition tapes, and others calling the police thinking people were trying to scam the students.

                Kibum had had a field day sending the paperwork, authenticity claims, and school district permission papers over to every precinct in the Seoul, Daegu, and Busan areas.  It was getting ridiculous that they couldn’t find at least one person that they could use. 

                Just as he was about to call it a night, the large oak door to his office opened with a swift click. Jiyoung made her way into Minho’s private domain as if it were her own home. 

                Placing a few folders on the mahogany desk and gracefully sitting on the edge, Jiyoung gave a soft sigh seeing the once large pile of head shots diminished to nothing but three photos that didn’t look very promising.

                “I am hoping that those girls have power house vocals, or the dance ability to put BoA to shame.” 

Jiyoung opens one of her files and skims them over as she sees the face of resignation on Minho’s face.

“At this point I hope she falls from the sky…”  Minho murmurs moving the headshots over to the side. 

Jiyoung chuckles closing her file.  “I mean how hard is it to find someone who’s visually appealing, has great stage presence, and holds technical performance experience in vocals, dance and acting skills.” 

Shaking her head slowly Jiyoung gave out a soft chuckle making her way to the window and gazed into the city skyline of Seoul.

“We both knew this wasn’t going to be easy.  And the bar is set rather high.  We’re not looking for an idol that can give us a piece of profit.  We’re looking for someone that will transcend what other companies can do.  We want to make an icon.”

 Jiyoung sighed looking back at the desk. 

Minho glared at the manila folder on top of his desk glaring at it hoping for it to disappear.  “I knew this was going to be hard… it’s just… how did it come to this?” 

Minho grumbled not taking his eyes off the manila folder on his desk.  Silence followed for a split second that felt like an eternity as Jiyoung patiently waited for an explanation.

“How did it come to nothing being adequate?  This is the first time where I think that no one is going to be enough for what we need.  Do you remember when everything we did had potential?  When the only way to go was up?  When did it come to me staring at a manila folder hoping it would burst into flames?!” 

Minho ranted as he ripped the folder in half.  “When did it come to me being able to rip an important file in half knowing that you are going to email it to me later anyway….”

Jiyoung rolled her eyes as she left her spot by the window.  “If we are done being dramatic, do you feel better about ripping apart blank sheets of paper.  You didn’t even look inside of it and assumed they were ‘important papers’.”

Minho pouted as he pushed his hair off his forehead blushing from his outburst.  “…It could’ve been important…” 

“But it wasn’t.”  Jiyoung stated.  “Just like where we are right now.  Right now isn’t the important part.  The important part is when we find our idol and see where we can take her.  And we won’t get to the IMPORTANT part of the drama in your head if you moan and groan about it.”

The visual head stuck his tongue out at his colleague slumping back into his chair, head tilted to the ceiling.  “I just miss when it felt like we could go anywhere you know?  I mean every drama we hit, every variety show and movie deal that went through, no matter how hopeless if felt I always knew there was an answer.” 

Minho took his eyes off the ceiling and looked at Jiyoung with an air of doubt.  “But now we’re in a world where we don’t even know heads from tails….”

Jiyoung clicked her tongue elegantly sitting on the chair in front of Minho.  “But that’s half the fun isn’t it?”

Tapping the desk a few times to signal Minho to give her his attention, Jiyoung continued on with fervor.

“This was why we said yes to the internship.  We were tired of being pushed around and manipulated.  We wanted to pull the strings, to not depend on anyone about the material we pushed out.  We said yes to this job because we wanted to be able to be in control.  Being unsatisfied just means we have to work that much harder to get what we want.”

Minho sighed, shaking his head.  “Can we go one night where you will let me wallow in pity for myself?”

“You see, I could but you really don’t have the right to be wallowing in pity.  If you fail, not only do I fail but everyone else around you fails.  It would be a shame for us to fail when we have such a dynamic going, don’t you think?”  Jiyoung yawned as she scooted her chair over and opened another file showing pictures of other hot spots they could be looking for talent. 

“Now back to work, I realize that we’ve been under utilizing…” 

Jiyoung continued to speak but Minho wasn’t focused on what she was saying.  The point about what he had around him and who depended on him at this moment had hit him.  To others it would’ve been a pressure that might’ve been unbearable.  But he knew the reason why Jiyoung had brought it up.  This project, and every project put in front of them was a challenge to ensure that they could all work together the way they are now.  As much as he hated to admit it, the people in this department were now a big part of his life.  And he would do anything it took to ensure that he got to keep it that way.

But there was one thing that had Minho a little lost….

“If there were actual important files on my desk… how did you know that I would rip the one with blank sheets of paper?”

Jiyoung took one quick look up from her file and stopped her tirade of professional jargon and stated,

“I got lucky.”