Welcome to KRTV

Anything it Takes

Chapter 2

                How’d I get myself into this?  I met a stranger on the street that offered me a job and now I’m walking into KRTV like I belong here.  What if that dude really wasn’t Choi Minho?  What if I walk in and just get mugged or something?  It would explain why he let me talk to him the way I did.  I mean really who would offer you the same rate from your old job when you really have no experience being an assistant?  Oh great, now the dude at the front desk is looking at you funny.  Just smile, and be nice.

                The studio seemed massive.  A motif of modern oasis and wonderful glass accents blinded Ninomiya as he looked through the lobby.  People scurrying through the foyer as if by clockwork, while the vibrant chatter of business and dreams filled the area.  The ceiling of the entrance was made of glass, the sun giving the front of the building a wonderful glow from the inside out.  An elegant fountain stood in the middle made out of black marble. The perfect square stood in the middle as the traffic of people passed by while the patterns of beautiful waterworks were unimpressive.  The silver accents of the elevators matched perfectly with the black marble, and the glass desk stood majestically behind the marble fountain.

                Ninomiya had come to the conclusion that KRTV was rather intimidating.  Everyone was either fashionably dressed or in straight up professional wear.  Not that Ninomiya wasn’t prepared, he had worked at a fashion magazine for the past two years so clothes were something he never really had to worry about.  But in this setting it wasn’t about work anymore.  It was about expression, stature, and intimidation.  It made his outfit choice of a polka dotted dress shirt and classic black pants seem bland in comparison. Ninomiya had entered the concrete jungle, and at the gates was a man glaring him down because he was the new meat.

                Or… Ninomiya could just be an overdramatic human being.  Which is very plausible. 

                “Welcome to KRTV, how may I help you?”  A stylish tan man with naturally winged eyes sat behind a glass desk, offering him a smile.

                With a sigh of relief, Ninomiya smiled and timidly replied, “Uhmm… yes. I’m looking for Choi Minho?”  The words came out as a question while the man started to mentally scold himself, trying to keep a smile on his face as not to show that he was someone suspicious. Because he wasn’t… he was going to work here.  Right? 

                The winged eyed man’s smile faded as he clicked on his Bluetooth headset,  “I’m going to have to call you back, Tiffany.”

                Like daggers, eyes scanned Ninomiya as if they were from a robot in a sci-fi movie.  In an instant, the bright smile returned.  It was as if the man had finished his analysis and returned back into his human form.  It gave the new bound assistant a shiver as he found out the receptionist’s name.

                “Kim Kibum, operator of the front desk of KRTV South Korea’s central hub.  I am assuming you are the new assistant?”  The winged eyed man asked with such professionalism, but Ninomiya swore that the man had demeaned him in some way.  He just couldn’t tell how.

                Taking a deep breathe, Ninomiya puts on his professional smile and tries his best to give an impression that didn’t make him look like the desperate new worker that he was.

                “Hit it right on the nail.  Ninomiya Tazuki.”  Ninomiya chimed, although he could swear it came out a little more high pitched than he would’ve liked.  The smile that plastered on his face from earlier couldn’t seem to leave as he could feel his cheekbones beginning to become sore.

                An awkward beat had hit the two men as Kibum didn’t really know what to do with the other.  A part of him was bemused because he could see that this new one was obviously nervous, but the way he stood showed that he had charisma, poise, and dare he say it… potential.

                Winged eyes smiled as Kibum’s head gave a quick tilt, signalling Ninomiya to follow him.  They walked over to the silver elevators, Ninomiya silently following as the receptionist played with his Bluetooth headset calling for someone to take over the front desk.  It was quite odd for the new male walking through the building.  The air of the company was different to what he was used to. 

                “You look overwhelmed.”  Kibum stated as the elevator door opened and the pair stepped inside the mirrored cube, “Don’t be, you’re an assistant.  You handle the organization, the errands and play a very minor role in the creation of what goes on here.” 

                The awestruck nervous feeling that showed through Ninomiya’s face quickly turned into confusion as he didn’t really understand what was happening.  He looked at Kibum not really understanding if he was trying to console him, or belittle him.  Heck, Ninomiya didn’t really know if the man before him liked him or not because of the way he spoke. 

                Kibum still bemused continued to scan his ID, and pressed the button that would take them to their designated floor.  The silence was comforting for the receptionist, he looked into the mirrored walls and saw that his companion was looking at himself on the opposite wall.  He had to admit, it was entertaining to see the movements of Ninomiya’s mouth as he tried to fix his bangs that simply didn’t want to move.

                “Your hair is fine, I would probably get you a new shirt though.”  Kibum drawled as Ninomiya jumped out of his reverie by the ting of them reaching their destination, “It may be wonderful business casual, but if you’re here take it all the way. Show them that you mean business.”

                Kibum exited the elevator leaving Ninomiya speechless.  It wasn’t as if Ninomiya had said much since he’s gotten to the company but still.  What else could the boy say? 

                Mouth opening and closing like a fish out of water, it took a minute to realize the elevator was closing, and Ninomiya threw his hand out and stumbled out of the cube.  An amused eye roll awaited him as Ninomiya quickly tried to catch up to the receptionist who waited only a split second before continuing his way through the velvet hall. 

                Ninomiya stumbled behind trying to catch up with the other male, “W-Wait…. I thought you said I had a very small role in this company.  Why should I dress to impress?” The new man asked still not knowing if Kibum’s impression of him.

                Winged eyes twinkled as without missing a beat while walking down that hallway Kibum stated, “I didn’t say that you had a small role, I said you had a very minor role in the creation of anything that happens here.  I mean, being an ex-PR for Style I didn’t want you to think they would shove you into a board room pushing for promotional advice.”  Kibum didn’t make eye contact, just took out an electronic device of some sort and started fiddling with it as they walked their way down the hall.  Ninomiya on the other hand seemed to have forgotten that he could walk and talk at the same time as his feet threatened to stumble. 

                A deep sigh could be heard as the newly hired assistant had chosen to just give up conversing with the man from the lobby.  It was tiring trying to figure out if he should be cautious, or friendly.  Plus, Ninomiya had concluded that it was a possibility that he was boring the other male with his constant questioning.

                He instead decided to take in the surroundings of office doors, fax rooms, and conference halls. They eventually hit an open area with two grand doors.  In front of the doors sat a glass desk reflecting the afternoon sunlight, bouncing specks of light all throughout the open carpeted area.  Laying on it was a clip with his ID and a flash drive.

                “And he literally has me sitting in a desk in front of his office…”  Ninomiya murmured.  A quick frown etched it's way across his face as the tacky display stood in front of him.

                Without even stopping to observe the scenery, Kibum made his way to the grand doors, a chuckle could be heard as the receptionist just eyed Ninomiya knowingly,  “Minho does like his dramatics. Something about amplifying his charisma.  A load of BS if you ask me, I mean when he was younger that boy always played the cute card on the sunbaes but that’s a whole ‘nother story.”  Kibum scoffed as he opened the double doors.

                As the doors opened Ninomiya wanted to roll his eyes, but instead looked around in awe.  It was like looking into a movie set.  The bookshelves, the grand desk placed in the center of the room, and the couch on the side accented by some sort of artwork made Ninomiya shake his head.  The man he met just a few days ago was just as he had read him to be, but now he was Ninomiya’s employer.  He probably should learn to respect the man sitting in the gargantuan office chair a bit more. 

The smirk that was rested on Minho’s face as his eyes rested on his new hire was just too much to bear.

“Nice setup you have here.”  Ninomiya tries his best to sound professional as he looks around the office, “Very… Grandeur…”

“I know exactly what you mean…”  A female voice could be heard from behind them as a woman in a tight pencil skirt and beautiful half blazer walked her way into the scene.  Her high heels gave rhythmic clacks as she passed the pair analyzing the stranger.  She made her way behind the desk to face the new hire placing a file on the square face of mahogany in front of her.  “…I’ve told Minho to be a bit more minimalistic.  It gets annoying walking in some days, it feels like we are saving someone from death row instead of making television.”

Round cheeks smile, as pouty lips and almond eyes stretch a delicate arm.  “ Park Ji-Young, head of content and creation.  I’m thinking that we’re going to be seeing you here often?”

Ninomiya felt underdressed to be anywhere near the people in the room, he was now starting to understand the words Kibum had said to him not too long ago.  Trying to keep his thinning professional face on, the boy sticks out his hand, interlacing it with Jiyoung’s palm.

“Y-yes.  Ninomiya Tazuiki, at your service.  I’m the new assistant.”  Ninomiya blurted as he quickly went into a bow.

The moment the boy bounced back up, quirked eyes could be seen around the room as if they were expecting something… different.

“This one isn’t as spunky as you said he would be…”  Kibum affirms bluntly as he makes his way to the desk.  “… by the way you made it sound like I thought he would more fun.”

Confused eyes made its way to Kibum, and slowly made their way over to Jiyoung.  Both faces looked amused.  The two were looking in between them to the big office chair as if they were a bunch of middle schoolers and Minho had just told his best friends a lie that had been figured out.

A quick shift of the head lead to the doe eyed man to stand from his desk and approach his new assistant.  “You aren’t as spunky as you were the last time I saw you Ninomiya-ssi.”  Minho stated as he flicked the other man in the head.  A small chuckle leaving his lips as a coy smile was spread across Minho’s face.  “It makes me look foolish when I said I hired a rather… rambunctious new assistant.” 

Minho shook his head as he looked teasingly into the other boy’s eyes.  Ninomiya's eyes sharpened as he looked around the room.  Something wasn’t right.  Was he on one of those prank shows?  Was his desperate need to support himself and the people around taken as a joke?  Maybe there was a camera nearby…

“To be honest I’m a bit shocked too.  I was expecting you to stand your ground a bit more.  Instead it’s like your first day at school.”  Minho snapped Ninomiya out of his reverie as the new assistant could see curious glances heading his way from behind the tall man standing in front of him.

Ninomiya’s jaw clenched as he noticed his face starting to hurt.  It was as if his new favorite activity was scrunching his face and blubbering about like an idiot because he was sure it wasn’t the first time today that he had made these confused expressions. He really was getting a little tired of it all.

“Wait… what the hell is happening here?  I don’t get it.”  Ninomiya sighed as his shoulders fell tired of trying to look professional.  Anger was starting to seep its way into his voice as he looked around the room.  “I mean, isn’t this what’s SUPPOSED to happen?!  I walk in, say hi to everyone on my first day and act like I am incapable of doing things, and then you guys show me the ropes while creating a working relationship with me?  Or no?  Am I missing something here?”

Ninomiya was a bit exhausted as he ed the top button of his shirt and looked at the man in front of him who was now beaming.  Surprised faces and whispers were happening around him, but Ninomiya didn’t even seem to care about the other people in the room.  His eyes were on Minho.  The new assistant just couldn’t understand what they wanted out of him.

“It is nice hearing you speak more than one sentence again.”  Minho bellowed as he looked him in the eye,  “I didn’t hire you because you were a pushover that would try to win me or anyone else here over.  I hired you because you intrigued me.  Running around those streets with a determined look in your eyes.  To top it all off you have an incredible skill set, are willing to adapt to a new environment, and…”

A loud click interrupted the two men and as they looked to the side, they saw a man with a camera, and were quickly blinded by a loud flash.  The screeching of a Polaroid could be heard as a dissatisfied click of a tongue came out of the photographer.

“Oh darn, I was hoping to catch that lovey dovey face Minho was making.”  The photographer teased as the obnoxious noise of chewing gum leaked from his mouth.

Small chuckles could be heard as Kibum and Jiyoung shook their heads.  The two had made themselves comfortable by the window eyeing the two men.  All they were missing was popcorn as a blush formed around Ninomiya’s cheeks and Minho just shook his head walking over to his desk.

“And who are you?”  Ninomiya asked as he blew his bangs away from his forehead.  This day seemed so weird to him, he didn’t really know what was happening.  It was like he was in this world with different customs that he didn’t know anything about.  At this point, he didn’t even care if he had a job or not anymore.  He just wanted things to make sense.

The chewing and popping of gum was mixed with a laugh as the photographer approached the new assistant in a cheesy slide.  “Aw, don’t be angry at me.  Anger doesn’t fit your handsome face.”  There was a boyish charm to the way he spoke as violet gradient hair bounced towards Ninomiya.  Hands intertwined as a confused face made its way to the new worker’s face.

‘You’ve got to be kidding me….’ Ninomiya thought as he tried his best to pry his hand away before the other man had an opportunity to continue.

“Lee Taemin.  Freelance photographer and director at your service.”  Taemin’s voice was soft, and not too overly overbearing.  It was hard to believe that words like that came out of the photographer’s innocent face.  It didn’t seem to match.  The only part that fit was the twinkle of mischief and mystery in his eyes. 

The next thing he knew he was pushed out of his thoughts as Ninomiya felt a soft kiss land upon the top of his hand. 

“What’s your name?”  Taemin asks tilting his head.  The photographer’s eyes had turned into a coy look that confused Ninomiya drastically.

“Not interested…” Ninomiya retorted pulling his hand away, wiping his hands on his pants, “…And please the next time we talk maybe you could take me out to coffee first before we do all this.”

‘I’m fired. I haven’t even started and I’m fired…’  Ninomiya thought to himself as he realized he had basically just lost his cool in front of his new co-workers,  ‘Maybe I could cause a scene and just quit and make it look like I’m a crazy person.’  The thought was appealing to him, but he was surprised to hear the response to his outburst.    

Wild laughter, It could be heard from the receptionist at the window, as Jiyoung tried her best to hide her smiling face behind her hand.  Taemin was shocked, but his smile grew wider,  “Wow, you got a fiery one here Minho.  I think we’re going to have fun with this one.”  The tall boy gave Minho a wink looking Ninomiya over and walking his way over to the majestic desk. 

Minho was staring intently as if satisfied, smiling at his new assistant.  Ninomiya thought that he had enough of this.  “As much as I love being the centre of attention, I was hoping to learn about my employment here. Unless the job is you guys watching me act like an idiot? In that case, you might need to find another worker.  Now is someone going to give me a computer password and a rundown so I can start doing my job?”  Ninomiya tiredly spoke, looking around the room at the amused faces.  He was starting to re-think his need for this job.  I mean, living in a box wouldn’t be so bad would it?

“Eager to work I see?”  Minho chortled as he began to look through the folder Jiyoung had placed onto his desk.  “I have to admit I did enjoy the little spectacle you gave us.  But I do think you’re right.” With a nod, Minho gave a look to the wing eyed receptionist.

Kibum took this as his cue walking towards Ninomiya.  The judging eyes from before were twinkling now as he happily dragged the boy out of the office leaving the other three to their business.

The atmosphere seemed to take a complete 180 degree turn as Ninomiya was escorted out of the doors.  The people in the office seemed to just transform into different people as folders were opened, papers began to scatter across the desk and talks about ideas, actors, and image concepts began to erupt from them.  And just before Kibum had a chance to close the doors, Minho seemed to stop everything and look up.

“Oh, and Ninomiya?  Welcome to the KRTV Family.  From what we’ve seen I think you’ll fit right in.” Minho gave a soft smile as he signalled Kibum to close the doors.  And before he knew it Ninomiya was placed at his glass desk. 

‘This is going to be interesting…’  Ninomiya thought as he was plopped into his office chair, a smiling Kibum taking out a few folders ready to show Ninomiya his new life.