My Joy~

One by One.

Kang Seulgi remembers how she met Joy.  It was the first day of college. Everyone was touring the renowned Seoul campus and meeting roommates. Most kids were happy to finally get away from their parents but Seulgi never had that privilege. Her parents died when she was about 5 years old in a drug deal gone wrong. It was cruel but nevertheless it happened and from then she lived in a countryside orphanage where she got all her basic needs like an education, a roof over her head and food. But one thing she never had was the experience of the joy of love but of course, destiny was going to deal with that.

Flashback to September 25th- Meeting Joy.

“New life, here I come!” thought Seulgi, sarcastically. She was accustomed to roughing life out and living a tough and hard, unforgiving life. Feelings of warmth were alien to her and because of a tragic past most positivity was cut out of her. More like painfully torn out but whatever. Who cares anyway?

She went up to a campus guide and was given her room key. She was to be staying in 201 with another girl around her age. Not that it bothered her because she was accustomed to sharing. She grew up in an orphanage for Pete’s sake. She walked to the dorms and unlocked what was supposed to be her new home until the next few years. Inside was small, with a living room, kitchen, 1 bathroom and 2 separate rooms. It sounded roomy and comfortable but it was cramped. But oh well.

With the usual scowl on her face, she cleaned up, unpacked and laid around for an hour or two. She wondered where her roommate was but didn’t let it bother her. It was just 9:00 a.m and new college students were supposed to be on site for this time but like her caretaker at the orphanage she adopted the habit of being early. Very early. She threw on some ripped skinny jeans,a band muscle tee and fingerless gloves and walked to the door to get out for some fresh air.

She reached for the door knob and…

BANG!

“Annyeongha- ! Oh my gosh!!!! I’m so sorry!”

The girl who just burst in the room, kneeled down to help our poor Seulgi who is now on the floor, clutching her nose.

“Oh my gosh! Are you okay? Did I break your face?” The girl asked in frenzy.

Seulgi angrily got up and clutched the girl’s collar.

Hey, watch where you’re going! My nose is bleeding now, thanks to you, pip squeak!”

Seulgi glared angrily at the girl and pulled the hand she wasn’t currently using to hold the girl’s collar, back. She threatened to punch the other when said girl did something completely unpredictable.

She hugged Seulgi.

Seulgi couldn’t be any more confused. She was experiencing a whirlwind of emotions and out of ignorance of the unknown slightly pushed her back and retaliated saying,” Hey, get off ‘a me!” However, her voice was now much weaker compared to how she was before. What was this hug doing to her? She put on her normal scowl, shoved her hand in her pockets and asked the friendly stranger what her name was, with the rudest voice she could try to muster in her state of shock.

“My name is Park Sooyoung. I’m so sorry for- “

“Save it!” Seulgi cut off angrily.

The bubbly child called Sooyoung, simply remained silent because her words were only making the other angry. Instead, she retrieved a napkin from her nose and dabbed away the blood from Seulgi’s nose.  Seulgi’s  eyes widened in shock. Someone was being nice to her. What the heck? She remained still and muttered ”Name’s Seulgi.” while she looked at her feet.

Little did she know that this was the beginning of a beautiful romance. The stranger known as Sooyoung upon mentally noting  Seulgi’s horrible attitude promised herself that she would be the one to break down Seulgi’s walls.

 

 

One Month Later.

                Sooyoung sat in her Math class and remained helpless as Seulgi got scolded by her teacher for lack of better word, , at Math. She and Seulgi had been living together for a month and you would think that some form of a relationship would have been formed but no. They had been roomies and nothing more. All she knew about Seulgi was that she was 17 and she was in college to become a lawyer just like Sooyoung was aspiring to become. That was it and it frustrated her to no end. Why wasn’t she opening up!? She wished she had a reason to talk to h-

“Who is your roommate!?” The teacher angrily queried.

Seulgi nonchalantly gestured to Sooyoung which made Sooyoung very upset.

“Sooyoung, you’re Seulgi’s new math tutor.”

Sooyoung gave her famous bubbly smile because she couldn’t hide her joy. She was actually excited. She was about to delve into the mysterious world of Seulgi and she couldn’t wait.

At home that evening, Sooyoung went across to Seulgi’s room to tutor Seulgi a.k.a get to know Seulgi.

She knocked on the door.

“Hey Seulgi! Open up! It’s me, Sooyoung!”

No response.

Sooyoung got tired of waiting and just barged. Seulgi just lay on the bed with her headphones on, not even bothering to acknowledge Sooyoung. In response, she got angry and yelled because she was tired of being ignored.

“Seulgi!!!!”

“Yeah.” She replied coolly.

Sooyoung just sighed and said,”Our Math teacher told me to tutor you every Friday night for the next month, starting today.”

“And?”

“Seulgi, it’s Friday! Can we just get this over and done with?”

“Ugh, fine!”

Seulgi got up from her bed and sat at her study desk gesturing Sooyoung to come. So she took a seat and got her books. They did a couple sums and she realized that Seulgi was smart but wasn’t focused at all. Her math book was filled with drawings. She picked up the techniques fast and Sooyoung was blown away by her speed.

“You’re a genius, Seul!”

“Seul?”

“ Sorry, it just kinda flows but seriously though, you picked up a month’s work in like 10 minutes! It’s amazing!!!”

“I like Math but that lady has her class right in the middle of my personal thinking time.”

Sooyoung pondered for a bit. Seulgi hates math and she wants to know more about Seulgi. She got an idea!!

“Hey Seul. What about we have these classes every week? That way you can’t flunk math.”

“You’re kind of annoying to be around though.” Seulgi said.

Sooyoung just facepalmed.

“Seulgi, you’re straightforwardness is amazing.”

Seulgi just chuckled slightly and said ”Sure. Sounds good.”

Sooyoung was shocked.

“Really?”

“Yep.”

And for the next month they continued their lessons and slowly but surely Seulgi was opening up to Sooyoung and slowly but definitely surely, Sooyoung was falling for Seulgi.

 

 

One Month Later

                At this point in time, Seulgi and Sooyoung had grown very close. Seulgi even came with a nickname for her. “Joy.” Sooyoung loved it and treasured it. Seulgi told Joy about her past and Joy kept on working on the promise she made to herself and so far, so good but now they faced a new problem: Young Love.

                Seulgi couldn’t describe the feelings of happiness she felt when she saw Joy after a long day of school or the jealousy when a boy hit on her. On the other hand, Joy wanted too much to describe what she was feeling but she was so afraid.

                That morning at school in Math class, Seulgi found that in class her focus was always on Joy instead of her personal affairs like it used to be and when Joy embraced her upon finding out that they topped their class, Seulgi melted into that hug and didn’t want to let go.

                After school, Joy took Seulgi out to celebrate their hard work’s rewards. They decided to be classy and go to a restaurant.

“Joy! C’mon, hurry up! We’re gonna be la-“ Seulgi dropped speechless upon seeing Joy in body hugging red dress with a black jacket. She looked stunning and Seulgi couldn’t hide the blush that stained her cheeks.

“Wow, Joy. You look beautiful.” Seulgi commented in awe.

Joy blushed and returned the compliment.

“Thanks! And same goes to you!”

Seulgi was dressed in black pants with a white shirt and tie but in her opinion she couldn’t even come close to Joy’s level of gorgeous.

“C’mon, let’s go.” Seulgi said and opened the door for Joy like a gentleman.

                That night, after the dinner when she tucked Sooyoung in, she laid on the bed with her talking like they usually do.

“It was awesome!” Joy exclaimed. “I had so much fun. Who knew that Kang Seulgi was actually kinda fun to hang out with!?”

“Oh shut up!”

“Hmph. Make me!”

And then in that moment under the pale moonlight that shone through the window, accenting Joy’s plump lips, Seulgi couldn’t help herself.

“I love you.” She whispered and 'stole' Joy’s first kiss, sealing their lips and never ending love together, once and for all.

Yes, Kang Seulgi remembers how she met the annoying Sooyoung and how she slowly became her one and only Joy.  Seulgi remembers every detail and she wouldn’t change anything about it for the world.