Final

Set Fire

A/N: Inspired by "Set Fire to the Rain" by Adele

 

~~

Well, it burned while I cried.

~~


 “YONGGUK!”

The sizzling and crackling gave way to a loud crack, the finality of wood giving and snapping echoing hauntingly through the air. It didn’t take long to be muted, though, the steady beating of the droplets pounding out a solid rhythm as it soaked in the sound, softening it until it was just a hum.

“Oh my god Yongguk Yongguk Yongguk,” Himchan chanted in a mantra, nearly slipping in the mud as he stumbled towards the unmoving figure on the ground. His vision was blurred; the salty taste at the corner of his mouth confirmed the presence of tears, but the rain clinging to his eyelashes hindered him equally.

Out of the corner of his eye he could see a resurgence of the flames. The steady rhythm of drumming was broken by a loud hiss as the two elements clashed. Smoke billowed up only to be beat down again, the rain screaming in agony as it disintegrated against the heat.

Himchan took in all and none of these details.

When he finally reached Yongguk he all but collapsed on him, shaking, clammy hands going up to cup his face in panic. His face was cold. Cold like the rain sliding down his cheeks, cold like the mud soaking his pants.

Why isn’t he warm. Why not like the fire. Why not like the smoke, why won’t he rise?!

“You lied. You lied. It wasn’t supposed to be this way. I– you– YOU LIED!” the screams tore from Himchan’s throat, rising and cracking in a desperate shriek, not unlike the wood of their house in its last moments, unable to yield any further and snapping.

Irrevocable.

Flashing images: a kiss, a smirk, a promise, fleeting touches.

Darkness, shattered glass, lips, hands.

Waiting, endless waiting.

Lies, lies, lies.

Himchan remembered pale hands. Slim, pale, shaking hands that struck a match.

His own hands.

The cold finally managed to seep in, past his clothes, past his skin. Into his veins, his heart.

It was so cold. Frigid, unbearable.

All he’d wanted was to be warm again.

A cold body was lifted with ease by two deceptively thin arms.

Slow, firm steps closer and closer to the cackling flames.

It was warm.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Comments make me happy~