VII. Ever Ever After

Neverwhere: A Tale of A Lock and Key

(Song : "Ever Ever After" - Carrie Underwood from Enchanted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCMQX8XBe4A)

 

 

 

“Storybook endings, fairy tales coming true,

Deep down inside we want to believe they still do.

And a secret is taught, it's our favorite part of the story,

Let's just admit we all want to make it too.”

 

 

 

The king and Ian are sitting side by side on their horsebacks. Their army behind them. All waiting for whatever is coming. And they just know it’s gonna be bad. Now everyone in the Above wants to capture our dear Princess Irene, dead or alive. 

 

 

 

“It’s not the worst.” Ian mutters. 

 

 

The king asks worriedly, “You’re sure the witch is coming too?” Maybe they are already dead before the witch would arrive.

 

 

“She knows Wendy is back here. She is gonna take her chance before anyone does.”

 

 

“I just hope our girls would be fine.”

 

 

 

“Guys,” Franco calls from the sky. “Be ready. I see men marching towards us.”

 

 

Ian looks at another father, “Let’s just hope Wendy’s plan would work.”

 

 

 

Back to the castle, Joohyun stands in the centre of the royal garden. She is also waiting for something or someone. She is definitely ready to fight and she is definitely nervous. 

 

 

 

“Why would you let Wendy act alone again?” Seulgi approaches her from behind. While Joy is deep inside the castle with Yeri and the queen. 

 

 

“Because she is smart and I trust her.” Joohyun softly smiles. “We would have a surprise for the witch.”

 

 

 

Marius steps in and reports, “Your Highness, enemies have reached our border.”

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

So a war begins. 

 

 

It is not tough since they got the support of the Grand Wizard, whose whereabouts are extremely mysterious. He comes and goes as he likes. He is the one who has passed that half of the pendant to the princess.

 

 

 

“Where is the princess, Your Majesty?” asks the Grand Wizard after frightening all their enemies with his power.

 

 

“Back in the castle.” The king replies while wiping the blood on his face. 

 

 

So he turns to Ian, “And yours, sir?”

 

 

“She is out there.”

 

 

 

The old man shakes his head, “They have to stick together. I might not know much but they are bound to be together.”

 

 

“It’s too risky.” The king argues. “She is too strong.”

 

 

“They have to fight the witch together.”

 

 

“It’s not the time for arguing.” Ian looks at the new wave of attack and prepares to fight again.

 

 

 

Franco speedily flies back to the princess and delivers the message to her. 

 

 

“Then maybe we should join them at the front.” Joohyun says in determined eyes.

 

 

“So get on the horseback, ladies. No time to waste.”

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

“Here is the ing .” Franco curses as he shoots a few men down. He sees a shadow closing in from afar. “Do you really think this would stall her from killing us all?”

 

 

Seulgi frowns drawing her sword out from the chest of a centaur, “So where is Wendy?”

 

 

 

“How’re you holding up?” Joohyun asks her father while loading her bow.

 

 

He takes a deep breath after hacking a minotaur down, “Feeling a bit old.”

 

 

 

Marius tackles a few monsters down and Ian shouts, “Don’t let your guard down.”

 

 

“Looks like she’s holding something.” The Grand Wizard uses his magic to create a barrier blocking any more enemies from advancing. 

 

 

 

The witch surprisingly finishes off tons of their enemies once she has arrived at the scene.  Probably she doesn’t want any competition. Her dark aura also keeps the rest away. Landing her feet on the solid ground, she places a figure down with a victorious smile.

 

 

 

“I found her on my way here.” She looks around at the battleground. “Told you I could smell you miles away. Oh, it seems like I’ve missed half of the party.”

 

 

“Wendy!” Joohyun recognizes the half-conscious girl who is chained up by the witch. 

 

 

 

“.” Ian balls his fists. As a father, he could not even protect his daughter after all these years. “What do you want?”

 

 

“Her.” The witch points at the princess with her long chin. “Or you will all be dead today in this glorious battle.”

 

 

 

“So you’re blackmailing us?” Franco is furious.

 

 

“What are you going to do with them?” The king raises an important question. “Tell us, wicked witch.”

 

 

 

“I have this. But the pendant is gone. No, it is merged into their holders.” A tiny doll-size head appears on the witch’s palm. There should be two heads for the angel pendant, symbolizing the two worlds. She must have stolen it from the mortal’s mother. “So I need their blood to complete this. Sadly, this little tough one got me left with no other options.”

 

 

 

“So you are going to kill them?” Seulgi is fast this time.

 

 

The witch laughs, “Dear, I’m going to rule the worlds too. Hahahahaa.” 

 

 

 

“Let Wendy go.” The king sternly orders. “And your offer is declined. We’d rather die together.”

 

 

Ian mutters under his breath, “No, you have the whole kingdom.”

 

 

Franco joins the discussion, “Your daughters will 100% die in her hands. But we still have a slim chance of surviving fighting all those men and monsters.”

 

 

 

“Are you sure you know everything about the book?” The Grand Wizard steps forward. “You are just a witch. How can you be so sure when you’re forbidden to enter the Below?”

 

 

“All these years, I’ve been right and I’ve been waiting for today. The princess and the mortal.” The witch glares at him. “It is mine!”

 

 

“Mortals won’t let you take over their world.”

 

 

“The book would make me invincible. I would find a way to defeat them.”

 

 

 

“You can’t read the book even you’ve killed us.” A weak voice waltzes in, capturing everyone’s attention.

 

 

Wendy has a hard time standing up and she ends up kneeling. Blood on the corner of , blood covering her scar. Joohyun swears her heart is ripped apart when she finally sees her face again. She has never felt such tremendous pain before. 

 

 

 

“Say it again!” The witch furiously screams at the kneeling girl while her hand is like a magnet, drawing the princess’s neck and choking her. “What proof do you have?”

 

 

“What is not yours would never be yours. The head is mine.” Wendy somehow manages to smile. “Never is just another forever. Neverwhere would be forever gone if you kill us both. The book would forever be gone with us.”

 

 

 

“Do something.” The king pleads as Ian and Franco are hopelessly looking at the girls. 

 

 

“It is all on the script.” The Grand Wizard composedly replies. “It is how it is meant to be.” 

 

 

 

“I can come with you.” Wendy grabs a fabric of the witch’s robe. “There’s a way. You have to let her go first.”

 

 

The witch slowly releases her grip and leaves Joohyun panting on the ground, “Then you two will come with me?”

 

 

 

“There’s no good for you to kill one of us here, right?” Wendy reasons with her. “Give the head to me. Then you can do whatever you want.” 

 

 

As Wendy speaks, the said object magically glows. 

 

 

The witch is still slightly doubting Wendy’s words, “Your mother had died when I found her. They tortured her to death. These people are guilty for that too! Why are you still trying to protect them?”

 

 

 

Wendy holds back her tears with the mentioning of her mother, “Because it’s in my blood. My mother has died for a good cause.” 

 

 

And she finishes with a bitter smile looking at her father, her uncle, her sister, Joohyun and Seulgi.

 

 

The witch bends down, “You will all be-”

 

 

 

Everyone is shocked, even the witch herself. She can’t speak. In fact, she can’t speak anymore. As a dirty vicious witch, she had her dagger ready to murder the king since she aimed at creating a chaos of people killing each other even after her will would be fulfilled.

 

 

But Wendy had already spotted that while she was speaking so she plunged it into her heart instead. And Joohyun had cut the witch’s head off with her father’s silver sword. 

 

 

Now the book is incomplete, it is gone. They don’t move anymore. Joohyun drops the sword and hugs Wendy’s body. 

 

 

 

The Grand Wizard mutters looking at their retrieving enemies, “When the key turns and the lock opens. It cuts her heart and opens her chest. She dies and lives again.”

 

 

Joy cries, “How?” Ian and Seulgi stand by her side. The father’s face is mixed with tears and blood, not wanting to believe he had sent her wife and daughter to death. 

 

 

Franco gets off his pegasus with the queen and the king takes off his helmet, so do Marius and his men.

 

 

 

“Places it to her chest. Let it drenched with her blood.” The old wizard picks up the head and hands it to Joohyun before disappearing with the witch’s body.

 

 

Joohyun hesitates but still complies at the end. She looks at Wendy’s face and the scar is now gone. The chains are gone. She looks so peaceful and gentle lying there as she has always been. The head keeps glowing bright and is merged into Wendy’s body as soon as it touches her blood.

 

 

 

“Now what?” Joohyun looks at her bloody hands.

 

 

Ian recalls the words from the myth and eagerly suggests, “Let her drink your blood. You have to mix it, to become one, right?”

 

 

 

Joohyun sees no other ways. So she takes the bloody dagger and swiftly brings her arm to its blade. It looks painful with the red coming out from the cut but it doesn’t show on the princess’s face.  

 

 

She carefully guides her blood into Wendy’s slightly parted lips. She just wants her to open her eyes again. 

 

 

Finally, she presses her lips onto hers. 

 

 

“Wendy, please wake up. It’s over now.”

 

 

 

 

 

“May I know why your arm is bleeding?” 

 

 

Joohyun opens her eyes and looks, and Wendy is looking back at her. She blinks and smacks her lightly. “It’s all because of you.”

 

 

Wendy chuckles and touches her arm gently, “I’m sorry. Maybe you just have to kiss me.”

 

 

 

“Shut up now.” Joohyun pouts and heals the cut. “You said you would never leave me but look what you’ve just done.”

 

 

Wendy holds the pink sparkling hand, “But she will kill everyone. We can’t trust her. I was too weak to kill her so….. Sorry.”

 

 

 

“Why don’t I have sparkling hands too?” Joy pouts before hugging her sister.

 

 

Seulgi flashes her fluffy teddy bear smile tapping Joy’s shoulder, “You will become a little devil if you have magic.” 

 

 

Ian nods and Franco finally lifts a smile.

 

 

 

“Thank you.” The king bows. “We owe you a lot.” 

 

 

The queen shows an apologetic smile, “I’m sorry, and thank you, Wendy.”

 

 

 

Wendy wants to say something but a small figure is thrown into her arms. It’s a crying Yeri. “Unnie, it scared me so much. How could you…. I was…… Don’t leave. ”

 

 

Wendy stares at Joohyun helplessly, signaling her to do something while she is busy patting the young girl’s tiny head. Everyone just can’t help smiling at this scene.

 

 

 

The princess controls her jealousy and gently pulls her cousin away, “Hey, she is back now. And she is mine.” 

 

 

Yeri sticks out, “Hpff.” And she runs off to the giggling bear’s side.

 

 

 

“So,” Ian speaks up. “Where is the book now?”

 

 

Wendy and Joohyun look at each other, “It’s here.” 

 

 

 

Their colored eyes are gone. It seems everything is back to how it used to be.

 

 

However, Wendy can feel something new in her the moment she breathes again. And Joohyun can feel it too. They are both different now.

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

“Starting your fashion, wear your heart on your sleeve,

Sometimes you reach what's real just by making believe.

Unafraid, unashamed,

There is joy to be claimed in this world,

You even might wind up being glad to be you.”

 

 

 

Collins gladly hands Wendy her certificate, while the whole family is happily clapping downstage.

 

 

 

Not only Wendy is Dr. Son now but also she and her beloved mentor Collins have become a few of the most respected scholars in both worlds. 

 

 

Now people can freely travel across two worlds since Neverwhere is no longer a lake but a beautiful place with an unguarded gate. 

 

 

Both peoples are learning to live with one another and coping with a new life. With the kind hearts and knowledge of Wendy and Joohyun, they live surprisingly peacefully.

 

 

 

“Congratulations, Wendy.” Joohyun’s mother greets her as they meet after the ceremony. 

 

 

“I am so proud. Aren’t you, Ian?” Joohyun’s father asks the man beside him.

 

 

 

Ian doesn’t say anything and just embraces his daughter so tightly.

 

 

The girl cannot be more grateful. “Ha. I love you too dad. You too, uncle.”

 

 

Franco instantly hugs back when it's his turn, “You are such a sweet girl.”

 

 

 

The two tall men soon step aside, revealing Joohyun who is grinning widely. And she presents her a bouquet of flowers. “Hey, good job, Dr. Son.” 

 

 

“Thanks.” Wendy cutely chuckles and her cheeks are heating up. It is such a big bouquet of unique glowing flowers and people are staring. 

 

 

 

“Aww. How sweet.” Seulgi claps her bear paws.

 

 

Joy flashes an evil smile towards the little Yeri, “Joohyun-unnie, I thought you have something else to say.” 

 

 

“What is that word again?” Yeri jumps around adorably. “Propose?”

 

 

 

Wendy notices the princess’s pink cheeks and childishly smacks her arm, “Hey, proposing needs something more.”

 

 

“Who said I am proposing?” Joohyun walks a few steps away leaving a tenderly smiling Wendy behind. “You are going to marry me anyway.”

 

 

 

“Oh my, look at these kids.” The queen clings onto the king’s arm contentedly, watching Wendy trying to catch the running princess. 

 

 

 

“Ever ever after,

If we just don't get it our own way.

Ever ever after,

It may only be a wish away.”

 

 

 

“I can’t believe Wendy has really invited us.” Yura is fascinated by everything she sees. 

 

 

“She’s our friend after all.” Hyejeong leads the cheerleading girls and schoolmates into the huge palace.

 

 

Kaeun slyly smiles, “Do you think we can meet some princes?”

 

 

Hayoung shrugs and mutters dreamily by herself, “Whatever, I am moving here. The air here is so fresh. The animals are so cute.”

 

 

“Let’s just focus on celebrating their wedding okay?” Seolhyun reminds her friends why they are here today with a warm smile.

 

 

 

“Hello.” Someone greets them at the door. “My name is Yeri. You are Wendy and Joy-unnie’s friends, right? Please follow me!”

 

 

They look at the extremely cheerful girl and let her guide them to the hall.

 

 

 

“Ever ever after,

Though the world will tell you it's not smart.

Ever ever after,

The world can be yours if you let your heart,

Believe in ever after.”

 

 

 

The hall is already packed with peoples of all kinds. Today is a delightful day. Princes are secretly weeping, as well as Marius, and are prepared to look for another beautiful maiden. 

 

 

Joohyun’s beauty and Wendy’s wisdom are rare. What makes things worse is that Joohyun got the brain and Wendy got the looks too. What a bad day for dudes.

 

 

 

At the end of the hall, there are three people sitting and one standing. The king on his chair in the middle, his wife on his right, Ian on his left. Collins stands in his best suit, holding a small white ring bearer pillow. 

 

 

Seulgi and Joy are at the front row, alongside with Franco. 

 

 

A brunette who is dressed in a cream white long gown is waiting on the side, whose hair is braided and placed on the side.

 

 

 

People from the outside start cheering and everyone knows the princess has arrived. 

 

 

Just a minute later, the princess, who is in light pink and whose wavy light brown hair is flowing down to the side, paces into the hall followed by a grinning Yeri.

 

 

The darker brunette thinks she is on the verge of crying as soon as her eyes are landed on the princess, who is looking back at her too.

 

 

 

“No wonder your heart feels it's flying,

Your head feels it's spinning.

Each happy ending's a brand new beginning,

Let yourself be enchanted, you just might break through.”

 

 

 

They join hands in front of Collins and the old professor can’t be happier in his life. And he reads the vow and asks.

 

 

 

“Wilt thou have this woman to thy wedded wife, wilt thou love her, comfort her, honor and keep her? And, forsaking all other, keep thee only unto her, so long as ye both shall live? Wilt thou has and holds her from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer; in sickness and in health; to love and to cherish, till death thou do part?”

 

 

Surely, they both answer, “Yes, I will.”

 

 

He pushes his glasses and presents them their rings. “Bless, this ring, and grant that she who gives it and she who shall wear it may remain faithful to each other, and abide in thy peace and favor, and live together in love until their lives’ end. ” 

 

 

They carefully and clumsily slip the rings onto each other’s fingers.

 

 

“Now I announce you two, happily married!”

 

 

 

Surrounded by flashlights and applauses, they tie the knot after a year of “dating”. 

 

 

Franco gets caught by Seulgi and Joy that he cries a little. The king shares a manly hug with Ian and the queen is busy wiping tears. Yeri is dragging the two newly-wed to greet the peoples in the balcony.

 

 

 

Things always happen too fast on Wendy and she used to feel like no one has ever stayed in her life, except for her baby sister. Now, she has finally found someone who would share everything with her for the rest for their lives.

 

 

Joohyun is a reckless princess who seeks excitement and is easily bored with being a “princess”. Now, she has finally met someone who would cherish her not just as a princess but also the girl she really is.

 

 

 

“Hey, beautiful.” Joohyun interlaces their fingers as they greet and wave at the people downstairs.

 

 

“So you are talking sweet now.” Wendy scrunches her nose at her now-wife. 

 

 

 

Joy, Seulgi and Yeri have joined them at the balcony. And the evil duo has everything planned.

 

 

The taller one pokes their sides, “It’s time.”

 

 

The shorter one pushes them closer to one another, “Now you two, kiss.”

 

 

The bear just gives them a thumbs-up.

 

 

 

“To ever ever after,

Forever could even start today.”

 

 

 

“So let’s kiss?” Wendy blushes.

 

 

“Why not?” Joohyun wiggles her eyebrows and holds the blushing girl by the waist.

 

 

 

“I've been dreaming of a true love's kiss.”

 

 

 

So they kiss, again, with the blessing from everyone.

 

 

“I love you too, dumb bear.” Joy pecks the slow bear on the lips while Yeri is using her new phone to take pictures of Joohyun and Wendy.

 

 

 

“So Disney. A happy ending.” Franco says to Ian who is also shedding happy tears. 

 

 

“Their mothers would be so happy.”

 

 

Collins fixes his tie greeting his best student’s dad and uncle, “Now I can die happy.”

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

After running all the way up on a hill, Joohyun exhaustedly lays on the green field. Wendy, just one step behind, is trying to get her up.

 

 

 

“Now your Chucks are all muddy. I wonder who is gonna wash them back at home?” 

 

 

“Hehe. You?” Joohyun immediately gets back on her feet. “You’re such a mom-material. By the way, you can just throw them into the washing machine.”

 

 

 

“If so, please iron my clothes tonight. It's your new hobby anyway, and I need them for tomorrow.” Wendy coldly dodges Joohyun’s inviting arms. “Got seminars to attend.”

 

 

“Hey, I am a princess.” Joohyun protests and successfully lands a solid smack on Wendy’s . “At least you have to treat me like one once in a while.”

 

 

 

“Come on, be good. Or no more carrot cakes in 3 months.” Wendy ruffles her silky hair, “You’re also my housewife, my dear princess.” 

 

 

Joohyun hugs Wendy who is too tired to break away. “It isn’t fair. I am getting fat now. Look at my tummy.”

 

 

 

“I ain’t gonna look at that, miss.” 

 

 

“Yes, you are. See?”

 

 

“Pull your sweater down, you ert.”

 

 

“Seriously, how to get abs like yours?”

 

 

 

Wendy sighs and pinches Joohyun’s cheeks, “I wish you would get fatter and fatter. You don’t need those abs, because you’re my dearest princess and housewife and I am willing to spoil you with everything I have.”

 

 

Shades of pink creep up onto Joohyun’s cheeks, and she cups Wendy’s cheeks in return. “Wendy-ah, I think I’ve fallen in love with you since day one. You looked so cool but you were so warm at the same time. I got the feeling that you’re the stupid one who is going to love me like I love her.”

 

 

 

“So it’s all about love after all. Neverwhere, the book and everything.” 

 

 

“Hmm. It’s where you understand love and meet the love of your life.”

 

 

 

“Okay.” Wendy pecks the prince’s forehead and picks up their bags. “No more cheesy lines. Let’s head home for dinner.”

 

 

“But I wanna stay here for the night.” Joohyun pouts and points at her castle.

 

 

“But I’ve bought things to cook at my house!”

 

 

“Alright.” 

 

 

 

“Perhaps I can get something else you want on the way back ?” Wendy just can’t resist a sulking princess and her aegyo.

 

 

"Seungwan-ah." The princess’s eyes glint in a weird way that her wife does not like. "Have you thought of having kids?”

 

 

 

The brunette is frozen for two seconds and suddenly starts sprinting down the hill. The princess is quick and chases her like prey.

 

 

 

“Hey! Wendy! Wait for me…. I’m not joking! I think we can try.... Don’t run away from me, I love you!”

 

 

“Stay away from me, you ert! Don’t you come into my room tonight!”

 

 

 

And so, they live happily ever after. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So here is the final chapter :)  

 

And now this and "Blindsided" are both completed, I will focus on "Her", or maybe a new story.

Thank you for your support along the way.

 

Upvote if you enjoy this~

See you on the flip side.

xo