V. Latch

Neverwhere: A Tale of A Lock and Key

(Song: Sam Smith - "Latch" [acoustic version] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUK6HlzNWEg)

 

 

 

“You lift my heart up when the rest of me is down,

You, you enchant me even when you're not around.

If there are boundaries, I will try to knock them down.

I'm latching on, babe, now I know what I have found.

 

I feel we're close enough,

Could I lock in your love ?”

 

 

 

Joohyun just keeps looking at the girl whom has been flipping every book and scroll in their library all day. 

 

 

She has probably yawned for a few thousands times but it isn’t so bored actually. She can look at Wendy all day.

 

 

 

It isn’t exactly love at first sight. Joohyun thinks the more she looks at her, the more she is in love with her. 

 

 

She believes Wendy is magical. She believes Wendy doesn’t belong to any world. She believes Wendy completes her.

 

 

 

“After we found my father,” Wendy puts down the thick dusty book and turns to the princess. “We should go back and talk to Seolhyun.”

 

 

Joohyun rubs her hands feeling uneasy, “I’m sorry.”

 

 

 

“It’s okay. ” She looks down on the messy desk and heaves a sigh. She is tired.

 

 

“You have me now, Seungwan.” She softly smiles and takes her hand.

 

 

 

Wendy flashes her a smile to reassure her and Joohyun knows Wendy needs her so much. And Joohyun swears she has to protect her at all cost because she needs her too.

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

So, Wendy, Joohyun, Seulgi and Joy begin their journey secretly, with the approval from the kind king and queen. Marius and Yeri wanted to tag along but they are needed for something else.

 

 

Our dear Princess Irene feels bad when she saw Marius bidding his goodbye with Wendy and riding his horse alone, back to their castle. She isn’t jealous. She is keeping a secret. Since they haven’t told anyone except for Seulgi and Joy.

 

 

 

“Are you sure about this ?” Joohyun asks in a low voice as they are outside of their kingdom. She is a little worried about their little adventure this time. Not their safety. But about Wendy’s mysterious father.

 

 

“He is my father.” Wendy’s eyes haven’t left the road. She is eager to meet him and she can ride a horse on her own now, thanks to a certain princess whom is a great teacher except for the habit of harassing the student's . “He could be the answer for everything.”

 

 

 

Seulgi steals a couple glances at Joy before opening , “You are her sister from another mother, right ?”

 

 

“Yes.” Joy hums and tightens her grips on Seulgi’s waist, enjoying the warmth given by the big dumb cute bear. “At least that is what we have been told.”

 

 

 

Joohyun and Seulgi don’t say another word after hearing their lovers’ replies. They are both in deep thoughts. Something tells them it is gonna be a long road ahead.

 

 

 

At night, they rest. Wendy switches into her solemn face sitting on the edge of the bed. Joohyun still doesn’t say anything and just sits down next to her. She thinks it’d be better if Wendy initiates it instead. And when she sits down, she notices the phone casually tossed on the pillow.

 

 

 

“Joohyun-ah.”

 

 

“Yes ?”

 

 

 

“I told her and she said yes.” Wendy glues her eyes on her lap. She seldom looks at Joohyun these days. “It’s easier than I thought. Is this a good thing, Joohyun-ah ?”

 

 

Joohyun frowns a little in return, not knowing what Wendy is thinking in that little smart brain of hers. “You still need to talk to her in person, right ? You have your reasons and she has hers.”

 

 

 

Wendy adjusts her body so that she could face Joohyun. She then pulls down the collar of her t-shirt, startling Joohyun. Finally, she shows her the dismembered angel pendant.

 

 

“Joohyun, it is what I have been really thinking about. Don’t you have one too ?”

 

 

 

Joohyun is stunned for a moment, not only by the pendant but also the way Wendy stares at her in deep sincerity. And she follows suit, revealing her angel wing pendant.  

 

 

“What….  Seungwan-”

 

 

 

“It’s from my mother. So Joy doesn’t have one. I have been suspecting but there is no proof. Until we found out my father might have been related to all these.” 

 

 

“So, you are saying…. ” 

 

 

 

Wendy finally smiles, “You could really be my other half, my other half of the key.” She controls her trembling hands and gently places her silver pendant on Joohyun’s palms.

 

 

Joohyun somehow feels touched, wanting to cry. As if Wendy is proposing to her or some sort. She carefully tries to merge her wings to Seungwan’s angel body. 

 

 

 

And they match. An angel is formed although a limb or two and the face are damaged.

 

 

 

“Oh my god.” Joohyun looks at it and her Seungwan. Wendy is smiling dearly looking at the shocked princess, her princess. 

 

 

“I believe we got the key now.” 

 

 

 

Joohyun’s hand clutches onto the angel and she can’t find a better explanation for all these other than fate and magic. 

 

 

Wendy slowly takes Joohyun into her arms and hugs her tightly. 

 

 

 

So their encounter or love isn’t accidental at all. Wendy thinks she should have known it. And she’s glad she has made the right decision finally. 

 

 

Everything starts to make sense since they have met. Everything makes sense now.

 

 

 

“I'm so en-captured, got me wrapped up in your touch.

Feel so enamored, hold me tight within your clutch.

How do you do it, got me losing every breath.

What did you give me to make my heart beat out my chest ?”

 

 

 

“Seungwan,” Joohyun pulls away a bit so she can take a good look at her lovely face. “What if your father is from here ? Have you thought of it ?”

 

 

Wendy nods and leans in so their nose tips touch, “Yeah. Maybe my mother is a descendant of that mortal. But, does it mean the lock is split into two too ?” 

 

 

 

“Perhaps this is the lock and the key.” Joohyun scrunches her nose.

 

 

“It’d better be.” Wendy chuckles but not backing off. “That saves us some work.”

 

 

 

“I’m glad it’s you.” The princess grins widely then presses her lips onto the awaiting girl’s. “Thank you for everything.”

 

 

Wendy takes Joohyun’s hand to her cheek and takes her time scrutinizing her every feature, “Hey, look. I might not be any knight in shining armor or prince. But I am trying my best as the girl I am.”

 

 

 

“Just be who you are, Seungwan.”

 

 

“Always at your service, my princess.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I’m so nervous, Seulgi-ah.” Joy pouts and yanks the girl’s sleeve.

 

 

“He’s your father, isn’t he ?” The bear flashes her eye-smile and pats the tall girl’s head. “Don’t worry, I am here.”

 

 

 

“Are you nervous too ?” Joohyun turns to Wendy whom is in her thoughts.

 

 

“Of course, I am.” Wendy gulps. “I think I have forgotten how he looks like.”

 

 

“I’m ready whenever you are.”

 

 

 

Wendy and Joy exchange a look. The younger signals her big sister to knock. So she does.

 

 

They wait after Wendy placed her knuckles on the wooden door.

 

 

 

The second it opens, everyone’s heart jumps a little.

 

 

It reveals a man with a thick beard.

 

 

 

“Hm, hello ?”

 

 

 

Wendy recognizes the beard so she holds the merged angel key to his face, “Hi, dad.”

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

“Your mother had that half of the pendant. And we married despite the rejection of her family. So I wanted to bring her here. But it was too dangerous at that time if anyone knew the mortal holder had come to the Above. So we stayed.” 

 

 

 

Wendy’s father boils his coffee as he explains the long story. He is happy to see his kids again but he is worried at the same time.

 

 

 

“Yes, I was a prince. But my father kicked me out since he believed the book would only bring war and misfortune and he despised your mother. We lived in the Below as normal people. When we had you, Seungwan, we decided to pass you the pendant without telling you anything about it. Because we didn’t want you to be hunted down or whatsoever. But it runs in our blood so you are here now.”

 

 

 

He pauses and smiles to his elder daughter before turning to his younger. 

 

 

 

“Seungwan’s mother left us soon after she passed her that pendant. When Seungwan were roughly two, as I remember. She turned herself in to stall off those people, those whom wanted the book and controlled the worlds. The last things she told me, were to protect Seungwan and to have another children so that I could still have a family if anything happened to Seungwan. So I did. But I guess I'd used all my luck so Sooyoung’s mother died from dystocia. And I nearly got captured. I had to leave you two for good. I love you two so much, I wanna see you grow too. I could only see those photos Franco sent me. You see, I can’t move around much now.”

 

 

 

He pats his artificial leg and bitter smiles.

 

 

 

Wendy agapes, “So Uncle Franco is in this too ?” They just know Uncle Franco is their neighbor, who is a weird-tempered collector and loves cats.

 

 

“Don’t tell me that creepy dude is really our uncle.” Joy rolls her eyes.

 

 

 

He touches his beard, “Yes, he is. He is my younger brother.” 

 

 

 

“So, sir,” Joohyun raises her hand and politely butts in. “For any chances, you are from the Northern Kingdom ? Perhaps brothers of King Damian ?”

 

 

The man nods. Joohyun swears it looks exactly like Wendy. The same angle, the same smile.

 

 

Seulgi scratches her head trying to recall those names she once saw on those old scrolls, “So … You must be……”

 

 

“Ian.” He nods again. “You guys know my name. So that’s why I let Seungwan to use her mother’s surname.”

 

 

 

Joy can’t control anymore and hugs her father once he is finished.

 

 

“Oh hey.” He chuckles. Again, Joohyun finds it identical with Wendy’s. It seems like Joy takes from her mother’s side more. “I thought you would hate me, little one. Oops, not little anymore.”

 

 

 

Joy’s tears are flowing on her face, “Dad, I miss you.”

 

 

“Me too.”

 

 

 

Joohyun nudges Wendy and the latter shyly joins the hug.

 

 

 

“Dad, I miss you too.”

 

 

“Seungwan, I’m so sorry. I hope you two won’t blame dad, especially you. You must have been a tough girl.”

 

 

 

And so, Wendy cries too. She has never imagined this is what happened her father, her mother and Joy’s mother. Their mothers died for them, their father went hiding for years, just to keep them safe.

 

 

 

Joohyun tries not to shed a tear while Seulgi is biting her lips.

 

 

 

“Now, ” Ian breaks the family hug. “Tell me your stories.”

 

 

“What story ?” Joy asks drying her tears.

 

 

“Our stories are pretty dull.” While Wendy dryly laughs.

 

 

 

Ian eyes the other two girls, “Tell dad. We got a princess and her cousin with us so there must be some story.”

 

 

 

Joohyun immediately looks away and Seulgi hides her face with her bear paws.

 

 

Joy face-palms because their reactions pretty explained what happened.

 

 

 

Wendy blushes and clears , “Well, I guess you’ve already known, dad. You’re right.”

 

 

“Great.” Ian grins and claps. “I love it.”

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

“So this is both the key and the lock ?” Collins asks in disbelief as the king and Ian nod.

 

 

Somehow, Joohyun’s father has decided to tag along as the crew was going back to the Above. And the queen somehow agreed as she is not an ordinary queen neither. He has promised to come back soon with Ian. 

 

 

 

Wendy feels awkward with their fathers becoming friends all the sudden. Princes, she sighed.

 

 

 

“So do you know where the box is ?” Collins gets off his glasses. 

 

 

Ian shakes his head this time, “I’m sorry but I don’t know. Seung- Wendy’s mother might have ideas but…. ”

 

 

Joohyun’s father pats his shoulder, “My men found clues that indicate the box could be in the Dragon’s Dungeon, where the witches are.”

 

 

 

“It is very dangerous.” Joohyun mutters. 

 

 

“Yes, it is.” Her father echoes. “So we have to be sure.”

 

 

 

 

The night flows away as the crew continues their study and discussion.

 

 

 

 

Wendy stands on the balcony and enjoys her little alone time. She needs time to absorb everything. She needs time to prepare her meeting with Seolhyun tomorrow.

 

 

 

A hand lands on her shoulder and she expects it’s her one and only father.

 

 

Instead of Ian, it’s Joohyun’s.

 

 

 

“Sir.” She politely addresses.

 

 

He laughs, “Drop it. Call me dad too.”

 

 

 

“What ?” She half-shouts and covers afterwards, not wanting to scare Joohyun whom should be somewhere near.

 

 

“Haha. Ian told me.” He keeps his smile on. “You two did a great job covering up. That’s why I wanted to come along. We need a talk before letting her mother know.”

 

 

“S-sure.” 

 

 

He flashes another fatherly smile, “Don’t be so nervous around me. Tell me how you two met.”

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

On the other hand, after Ian has acknowledged the fact that Joy and Seulgi are having their lovey-dovey time, he knocks on Joohyun’s door.

 

 

 

“Ye- Sir ?” Joohyun opens it and is surprised. 

 

 

“Can we talk ?” Ian peeks inside the room. Oh, it seems he is right again. There is only a huge bed. He hides his smirk.

 

 

 

“Of course, come in first.” She lets the man in.

 

 

He steps in and looks around. So Collins treats them well. “Can I call you Joohyun too ? Since you and Wendy are….. ”

 

 

 

“Of course !!!”

 

 

“I told your father too.”

 

 

 

“What ????” Like Wendy, Joohyun nearly squeals.

 

 

“He is happy though.” He touches his beard and he is happy too.

 

 

 

“Really ? Oh my….. ” Joohyun clutches on the fabric on her chest. She thought she is going to faint. “Does my mother know ?”

 

 

“Nope.” Ian shrugs. “Not the time yet.”

 

 

 

“I agree.” She tries to regulate her breathing.

 

 

Ian smiles again, “So we are having talks now. You and me. Him and her.” 

 

 

 

“Y-yes ?” To be honest, Joohyun doesn’t quite like Ian’s smiles. He smiles like he knows your every sin.

 

 

“So …. ” He looks around again and his eyes stop at the bed. “Are you sleeping with my daughter ?”

 

 

 

“W-w-what ?” The princess feels so dizzy all the sudden.

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

“What have you said, dad ?” Wendy glares at Ian sitting beside the bed Joohyun’s lying on.

 

 

Ian innocently raises his hands, “I was just asking basic questions that a father would ask.” And he turns to another man in the room, “I’m sorry, didn’t mean to make your daughter fainted.”

 

 

He lifts a smile and waves it off, “It’s okay. She could be emotional sometimes.”

 

 

 

“Why didn’t I faint after talking to her father then ?” Wendy pouts.

 

 

Ian softens, “Okay. I was just asking how close you two are. Closeness, you know.”

 

 

 

Wendy frowns and raises an eyebrow. And Joohyun’s father doesn’t suspect a thing.

 

 

 

Insteas, he just sighs, “Maybe we should let her rest for while. Wendy, please take care of her.”

 

 

“I would.” 

 

 

Ian ruffles his daughter's hair playfully when the king has turned away, “So goodnight, my daughter.”

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

“I can’t believe he asked you that.” Wendy puffs her cheeks, looking like an angry hamster.

 

 

Joohyun giggles poking those cheeks, “He is right thought. We have been sharing the same bed for a while.”

 

 

 

“I think he doesn’t mean that way.” Wendy dejectedly buries her face in her pillow.

 

 

“But…… ” Joohyun is shy too but she still has to ask. “Have you slept with anyone yet ?”

 

 

 

Wendy bolts up right way and cups her own burning cheeks with her hands, “No !”

 

 

“O-okay.” Joohyun turns her body to the other side. “That’s … good.”

 

 

 

“Hey,” Wendy lays back down and hugs her from behind. “Let’s just sleep, shall we ?”

 

 

 

“Now I've got you in my space,

I won't let go of you.

Got you shackled in my embrace,

I'm latching on to you.”

 

 

 

“Hm.” Joohyun tries to wiggle out from her grip but fails.

 

 

“I’m sorry on behalf of my dad.” Wendy buries her face into those silky hair.

 

 

 

“Um huh.”

 

 

“Whatever I say is true. I would never lie to you.”

 

 

 

“Yeah.”

 

 

“I really really love you. Don’t leave me.”

 

 

 

Joohyun’s bunny ears perk up and she turns around, “I won’t leave you.” She knows how Wendy would feel after hearing the stories of her life. How hard it would be.

 

 

“Thank you.” Wendy whispers and curls herself like a baby in Joohyun’s arms. “That’s enough.”

 

 

 

“Sleep tight now.” Joohyun circles her arms around that bundle of Wendy and places a kiss on the crown of her head.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So, everything is kinda clear now ?

 

Let me know if you have any ideas about this or any fics you want me to write.

I will be ending Blindsided soon too.

 

see you on the flip side.

xo