part two: Voice

Details about you

 


 

Hoseok loves Yoongi's voice: the way it changes from its deep timbre when he talks to a higher tone when he raps, its roughness when he uses satoori, the barely there lisp when he's upset or stressed... Hoseok swears he could listen to Yoongi talking for hours and not get bored. It feels like the soft rumble of a stream, when Yoongi talks, like pebbles shifting under your shoes as you walk. Hoseok is not a person who gets embarrassed easily, but the amount of lyrics dedicated to the older boy's voice scribbled on the corner of a napkin here or the back of a boarding pass there, can bring a rosy flush even to his cheeks.

The young dancer cannot choose a favourite shade from among the great variety of colours Yoongi can vocalise and paint the air with. He remembers fondly the bright red of Yoongi's rough voice as he coughed a string of curses at the younger, his lips and chin dripping with iced Americano when Hoseok had snuck up on him, unaware that the elder was in the process of sipping coffee. The deep purple of his pissed off mumbling of threats in satoori, mouth twisted to a snarl when he and Namjoon had returned to the dorm from a hip hop event they had attended. The light blue when they had all called him just before the Idol Championships had begun, Yoongi wishing them luck in a light voice, disappointment that he couldn't joining them laced with pride at the three youngest members' promise to win for him creating a glorious hue of sky blue.

Cherishing moments like those is important. Important for their bond as a group, important to remind them of who they really are when things get out of hand.


Hoseok cannot choose a favourite shade of Yoongi's voice, but he can easily pick out the ones he hates: the black staccato of Yoongi being mad at him, the sickly green when he persists that he cannot pull off a demanding dance move, the pale grey when he grunts his dismissal of the younger's lyrics... Yoongi's voice turns cold then, it morphs into something almost unrecognizable. Hoseok visibly flinches when the elder's usually calm tone, the lazy rolling of words in his mouth transforms, each syllable pronounced painfully clear and aimed to hurt, lips that barely move under normal circumstances open and stretch as if to accommodate the irritation Yoongi feels. It's a scary thing to witness, Hoseok believes, especially since he knows that the elder is everything but cold. The young man tries his best to always bring a smile on Yoongi's face, dreading the occasions it falters and is replaced by a deep scowl.  

It is the popular opinion that Hoseok is the most easy-going among them, beating even Seokjin, that he lightens up everyone's lives with just one grin. But to him, that's far from true. To him, Yoongi is that person. If Hoseok is a ray of sunshine, then Yoongi is the  sun  itself... if Hoseok is the group's hope, Yoongi is its security and commitment, its everything. Sometimes he thinks he's exaggerating, that the rapper is nothing but a grumpy, lazy kid that could use a bit more active involvement to the team's life off camera. And then he stops, because that's just his quick temper talking. Whenever they fight and Hoseok flares up too much to think straight, it results to him wishing Yoongi was indeed unbearable, that he wouldn't have to care so much if he really was an . Regret follows, always. And apologies with eyes down-cast, promises to keep his anger under control next time, and hugs because Hoseok can feel awkward too sometimes and he needs to mask that feeling with limitless supply of skinship. The feeling of defenselessness every time he faces Yoongi. The elder will just look at him, really look at him, eyes searching deep in his own, not saying anything despite the way his lips twitch with the need to do so. Hoseok is utterly exposed under that scrutinizing stare. He would rather the elder shouted at him, punched him, anything really! Anything that contradicts the burning knowledge that the older boy is actually the most gentle, understanding human being Hoseok knows.  

 

Hoseok wonders if Yoongi values himself as much as he does. He doubts it. Constantly pushing himself to be better, to produce more songs, to fill entire notebooks with lyrics, to be funnier in variety shows... Hoseok realises that the elder will never be satisfied with his accomplishments, and that saddens him. So, he tries his best for Yoongi, making a fool of himself and getting laughed at. And it's alright. Because Yoongi looks the best when he's smiling, gums pink and cheekbones pinch-worthy, voice rich with affection camouflaged as teasing, his laughter able to pull Hoseok through a hard day. The younger wants to show that to him, show him what he means to all of them, most importantly to him. It's selfish and Hoseok wonders if he's a bad person for wanting to be the main reason behind the elder's handsome smile or his passionate lyrics, or both ideally. For now, all he can do for Yoongi is be physically close to him, silly and loud and hoping - always hoping - that one day Yoongi will be brave enough to let someday even closer. Hoseok hopes that Yoongi's colourful voice will reveal the feelings that he keeps hidden under fake indifference. 

 


 

#HappyHopeDay

​Happy birthday to the one who made me rearrange my bias list after all the years I spent neatly organizing it ;; Hoseok now sports a spot near the top because of his talent, his bright personality, his seriousness when he gets to work, his beautiful smile, and the list goes on and on~! Basically, J-Hope is a gift to the dark, cruel Kpop world and needs to be protected.

 

ugh, stahp .-.